Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
M
Originally Posted by tank
your sarcasm is not appreciated. I was hoping to receive helpful responses from mature people.

That's the way Zelmo communicates, Tank. You read the post, but did you understand it? Slap on an extra coat of skin and hang with us for awhile - it's quite an educational place, here.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

T
tank Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I'm here. I sincerely appreciate everyone's suggestions and advice. As many of you know, this is a very difficult time and I am trying to focus on not having an emotional breakdown as I go through withdrawal, try and work, and raise kids. So, I am sorry I haven't responded to everyone's posts. It's all I can do to read the information right now.

G
G
Take your time. Give it thought. Maybe go back over some of the advice you were given by various posters yesterday & ask questions.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
C
C
Tank- I would suggest getting off facebook entirely. Because every time you log on, you're going to be tempted to check his profile, or see if he's tried to contact you, etc.

Facebook is more trouble than it's worth, IMO. That would also be a good show of effort on your part to show your husband your serious about doing whatever it takes to rebuild trust with him.

E
E
I'm here. I sincerely appreciate everyone's suggestions and advice. As many of you know, this is a very difficult time and I am trying to focus on not having an emotional breakdown as I go through withdrawal, try and work, and raise kids. So, I am sorry I haven't responded to everyone's posts. It's all I can do to read the information right now.

Instead of focusing on NOT having an emotional breakdown, focus on what you want to be.

Why?

When I played with cars more seriously, trying to go fast around a track, I learned the following: Your body will drive where you are looking.

So if I looked ahead, far ahead, around corners, not at my hood, I went much faster.

If you focus on not having an emotional breakdown, you'll end up having an emotional breakdown.

So look at where you want to be, not what you want to avoid and believe it or not, your mind will make sure you get there.

The hard part is maintaining focus on where you want to go and not looking at where you don't want to go.

M
M

Glad to see you here again, Tank.

You need to push yourself forward...throw yourself into this MB stuff so your mind has something it can focus on rather than OM.

Instead of getting angry and staying quiet about posts, let it out. Tell us what you are thinking. So we can help you. When a person has an A, their minds are so tangled up w/ lies that they can not think clearly. This is what we call "the fog" of an A. And it is very real.

You must understand that everyone, who gives their time to post to you, does so b/c they want to help you. This board is full of the kindest most generous folks you will ever meet. We KNOW how you feel and even think. We've been where you are. And affairs follow the same stinking script.

So please, stick your neck out, and tell us where you are right now...what it is your thinking so we can help clear away the fog for you. It is necessary for your healing.

So, if you think we are wrong to dismiss the closeness you feel to OM as something important. Then tell us. Be brave enough to be honest w/ us, knowing you're gonna get some 2 by 4s. They are needed. And will be delivered by folks who TRULY care about you.

Come on...talk to us.

M
M

Hi Tank ~ I'm going to suggest to you something similar to what Enlightened_Ex said above...[Btw, E_E has made some AWESOME posts to you on this thread and I do hope that you will read them more than once, Tank]...Anyway, something that I learned here that has helped me more than I have words to express is that "FEELINGS FOLLOW ACTIONS"...So stop focusing on how "bad" you feel right now...Mr. W and I got through the withdrawal stage by going out and doing things - FUN THINGS - and not having "relationship talks"...We thought about the stuff that we did way back when we had first fallen in love with each other and we did those things - During the day, that meant matinee movies - COMEDY! At night, sometimes a comedy club, but usually it meant going out and partying - well yanno, we were 23 & 25 when we first met, so that is what we had been doing back then - lol - so we did all that we could to recreate that time...And I did NOT always "feel" like going - I am quite sure that Mr. W didn't either - but we did it anyway...And our feelings did follow our actions...

To prove this theory to you a bit Tank, think about what went on during the affair - where was your focus pretty much 100% of the time? On OM, right? Of course - so very naturally your feelings followed your actions - which I'm sure consisted of multiple emails, texts, fb messages and likely phone calls, right? Oh and don't forget to throw in all the "daydreaming" you did about him/the two of you, because that stuff counts as "actions" too...Now, imagine if all that time and energy would have instead been focused on your husband - guess where your feelings would have ended up? Yes, that is right - on HIM where they belonged...I know it's not "easy" at this point, but it IS very simple...You must take the first step, and believe it or not, the rest WILL follow...

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

M
M
I've been thinking about you this morning, Tank...I read your husband's thread last night and his overall feeling is that you just want to feel better right now - that you came here looking for reassurance from FWWs that that would eventually happen...That resonated with me, because that is how I came to be a part of this community - ah yes, like any other wayward, my intial motivation was purely selfish - sigh But hey, being here and reading all of Dr. Harley's stuff is what changed everything for us, so I think my original reason for coming here doesn't matter so much anymore - at least not to Mr. W and I...

So, how to feel better? Here's how things played out for me...I, like you, was MISERABLE at the end of the affair - I noticed Mr. W reading a book called Surviving An Affair and I was desperate for ANYTHING to help me feel better, so I picked it up and began reading...Shortly after that, Mr. W sent me a link to a thread here, which I read, but found another thread that captured my interest more - It was the thread of a BH fighting to save his marriage while his wife was in an active affair - It was a LOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG thread, but I read it, and as I did, I found myself feeling ANGER at the wayward wife and great EMPATHY for the betrayed husband - I began posting to try and help that BH in any way that I could...Only later did I actually associate myself with the wayward wife in that situation - a wake-up call of "OMGosh - that SELFISH SHREW in that thread is no different than *I* have been!" ***GASP*** faint So yeah, it took a while for things to sink in...blush I think that's pretty normal actually...During that time I began to read other threads too, Tank...What I found was that HELPING OTHERS helped to get me out of the "woe is me" victim status that I had taken on - it helped me to see that I was indeed no victim - well, a victim of my own selfishness and stupidity of course, but that is different - I also was shocked to see how very cookie-cutter that affairs actually are, and this helped me to see that my affair was NOT the special thing I believed it had been [ puke]...During that time Mr. W also started posting, and the two of us found that discussing the problems of others here was beneficial to solving our own - and posting here helping others gave us some much needed common ground at the time too...This place was a Godsend for us...

Often I see waywards arrive here and have threads about themselves that go on and on for months - I can't help but think that they would benefit much more from reaching out to others instead of dwelling solely on themselves...Mr. W and I have learned far more about ourselves in posting to others than we ever would have by having long monster threads of our own...Others may disagree, but we know that is what worked for us...

I hope something I've said may help you, Tank...Looking forward to hearing from you...smile

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

G
G
I have been married 10 years. I never believed in soulmates before now, and when he and I reconnected, it shook me to my core.
Strange how often a WW says this.

And almost always despises there new "Soulmate" within 5yrs weather there marriage was saved or not.

Me 34
WW 30
Abandoned Feb 17th 08, D-Day Aprl 27th 08.
Returned home Jul 7th, OC born 12/30/08
The FOG is clear, and we are in recovery.
S
S
Tank

I know you feel as if you are getting "beat up" here but honestly, I haven't read anything that I interpreted as being harsh...at all.

I am attaching a link to my old thread--I was beat about the head and face and it hurt--deeply. However, I had to realize that everything everyone was saying to me was true. I had to take responsibility.

It's long but take a read when you get a chance: I was feeling exactly like you.

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2185388#Post2185388

I hope that works...not sure if I've done it correctly.

You had received GREAT advice here from everyone. Mrs. W was a life saver for me and she truly knows what she is talking about as well as everyone else. (Even though I haven't heard from her in forever--Mrs. W!!)

So, pleaes don't feel like you're gettin beat up--just read some of the things people said to me but, it was quite the eye opener. I was forced to look at myself as what I truly was at the time.

It takes time...lots of it.

S
S
So, Tank...have you stopped reading and posting because someone said something you didn't like?

Honestly, I have read nothing here that even remotely resembles anything disrespectful to you.

I hope this is not the case. You will get alot of good advice here and there are many who can help you through this. You should expect some blows though--but, you have to have an open mind and see that these things are true and need to be said.

So, I hope you will keep with it and continue to read and post. I know that the situation is awful but this is the best support you can get...

I
I
Originally Posted by Gack1
Strange how often a WW says this.

And almost always despises their new "Soulmate" within 5yrs weather there marriage was saved or not.

I don't know that it helps, but what Gack says is a very common sentiment out here.

Right now, you are a love drug addict. Your drug of choice is the endorphins that your body puts out. OM is affected too. Less so than a female but will endure greater distance.

There is a cure: No Contact.

The moment that either of you recontact - your counter is reset. Your husband will to help by meeting your needs. This will NOT work if you make contact again. And you will continue to destroy your husband. As an addict, you care more for your fix than other people.

I know that your thanksgiving is done, but try a little cold turkey.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams -Yeats
T
tank Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I'm back. Having a hard time this weekend, weekends are particularly difficult. Other than simply saying "it takes time", does anyone have any specific suggestions on how to stop crying, distract my thoughts, quit missing my other man. I'd also like to know how many of you former WWs, had emotional affairs with someone you previously dated and remained friends with for 20 years, as opposed to someone you met fairly recently or in close proximity to your affair. I'd like to connect w/ someone I feel is or was similarly situated as me.

S
S
MrsWondering wrote this to you:

Originally Posted by MrsWondering
Listen, click on my name here and go read my first posts back in 2005 - I came here asking if the feelings for my husband (Mr. W) would return [I did NOT believe they would] - I said some pretty offensive things myself - stuff like "I still have in-love feelings for OM" - oh and my very best fog laden thread title called something like "Clarity From Contact With OM" - MrRollieEyes UGH, I look back and can't believe what a total ninny I was! Go read those early threads of mine - and read them knowing a couple of things - MOST IMPORTANTLY, Mr. W and I remained married and today are very much in love - not only did my feelings for him return, they deepened due to working the MB program in it's entirety...AND, I "get" where you are coming from right now - the OM in our situation I had known for nearly all of my life - we grew up together and dated off and on for 9 years through high school and college - I understand that aspect of "meant to be" that I KNOW you are feeling regarding the OM in your situation - but really, if it had been "meant to be" then it would have been "back in the day"...seriously...stay here, really work the MB program and you'll come to get all of this...

Mrs. W
Did you ever read the link to her first post that she provided for you?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
StillDawn also provided a link to her first post. Did you ever read it? It began:

Originally Posted by dawn012365
I am married and 18 years ago, I had an affair with a man who was also married--to someone else obviously. We both ended up divorcing our spouses and were talking marriage to each other. Then, he ended up getting back with his wife and they re-married. They had 2 small children and he said it was because of the children. I was devestated and stayed single for about 10 years.
Then I met a man who had recently gotten divorced. We dated for a while and lived together for a couple of years and then we got married.
Over the years, I would run into my old flame and we would talk casually. Then, one day last year (Oct.) we ended up somehow getting together and starting our affair again for a second time.
He told me how he had been unhappy for years with his wife and how he had loved me for the past 18 years and how he never wanted to lose me again and he wanted to be married to me and made so many promises--never to hurt me again. I believed him. So, our affair went for about 10 months until we ended up getting caught--by my husband and then his wife. Keep in mind now that this is our second affair--over many years.

I truly loved this man more than I've ever loved anyone my entire life. And, he said he felt the same. He said he never loved his wife as much as he did me and that his love for me was more than it has ever been for anybody ever. Blah, blah, blah.
Well, of course it was a nightmare for us all and even after it was discovered, he still talked to me and emailed me and told me he loved me and wanted me--but he was with her still because he had been married to her for 34 years--but that for the past 18 of those 34 years he's really loved me. Is this making any sense?
Did you read further, about how depressed and tearful Dawn was feeling? Did you keep reading her story to see how her feelings have changed?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
W
W
I would say keep yourself as busy as you possibly can. What do you enjoy doing? Any hobbies? Take your kids somewhere and do something fun with them. Spend time (lots of time) with your H. Go out on a date, or for a relaxing weekend away. Stay away from anything (especially Facebook) that's likely to trigger thoughts of the OM.

The pain is going to be there for awhile. There's just no way around that. You can do things to take your mind off it, but it will not just go away overnight. What you need to realize is that staying away from anything and everything having to do with the OM is the only way to get through this stage. It may seem like one quick little email or phone call couldn't hurt, but it does. You get that "fix" and you feel better for awhile. But it doesn't last long before the pain sets in again. It's an evil, endless cycle, and the only way to break it is to stay NC, no matter how bad you feel or how much you miss him.

Why on earth did you remain friends with an old boyfriend for 20 years? That's a huge no-no, for this specific reason. My situation was different from yours. OM and I were friends for a year before our A started, but that didn't make my feelings for him (or the pain of my withdrawal) any less intense. My situation was complicated by the fact that I was pregnant with OM's baby when I ended my A. Talk about a connection that makes it very difficult to put the OM out of your mind and move on. Trust me, you're very lucky that this is ending before you find yourself in a situation like mine.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
G
G
does anyone have any specific suggestions on how to stop crying, distract my thoughts, quit missing my other man.

Tank,
Have you thought about what the payoff is for you to continue keeping these emotions going? Just possibly you are continuing to hold onto the EA in your mind. It's a choice you have to make - stay in the emotional state you are in or put your energy into trying to work with the man who has truly loved you, supported you and stayed by your side and is fighting to keep you. AND wants to work on having the best marriage and relationship with you.

You should read a letter a WW wrote to Harley...

Letter from Wayward Wife and actions to take

Gg

D-Day #1 Aug/2007.
D-Day #2 1/27/12
Legally Separated
T
T
Whenever you find yourself missing OM, do something to meet one of your husband�s ENs. This serves two purposes:

1) It gets your mind off of OM and onto your BH
2) It puts your actions in the right place, and your feelings will follow

G
G
1) It gets your mind off of OM and onto your BH
2) It puts your actions in the right place, and your feelings will follow

To help you with this...

Recovery Guide for WWs

D-Day #1 Aug/2007.
D-Day #2 1/27/12
Legally Separated
G
G
does anyone have any specific suggestions on how to stop crying, distract my thoughts, quit missing my other man.

Hi Tank -- glad you're back.

By way of introduction, I hope you're not expecting someone to tell you that the program for fixing your conduct will be different since you've known OM for many years, as opposed to if you'd only known him for a few years or months. Bad boundaries are bad boundaries. You & I both had 'em. It doesn't matter how long we had them, it matters that we fix them. Friendships with members of the opposite sex, in which the content of the conversations & interactions, or the fact of these friendships' existence, are kept secret from one's spouse, are inappropriate no matter how lengthy or brief.

So let's dispense with history. Let's talk about the present:

Where do you stand in following up on the couple of specific suggestions I gave you on p.1 of your thread? Namely:
"I would strongly recommend enlisting some good friends who have the best interests of your marriage at heart -- they can be trustworthy couples whom you & your husband can confide in together, as a couple, or a pastor, or a good marriage counselor (careful, there are bad ones, too) -- but anyway, DO consider getting someone to HELP hold you accountable, so that you don't have to rely entirely on your own strength at this time."
Have you done this?

"Re: the marriage-builder plan, what my wife & I did (at the recommendation of our marriage counselor) was that we started reading the book "Surviving An Affair" together & discussing each section, and doing all the assessments & exercises. I strongly suggest that you do this."
Have you started this?

Also, you said weekends are particularly difficult. Why do you think that's the case? Are you alone a lot on weekends, or do you have lots of free time then? Is that when you used to spend the most time in touch with your OM?

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 978 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation