Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
jcb #2297781 01/02/10 02:47 PM
E
E
Remember you are fighting for your marriage. The affair is only fun if it is secret. I think you have to expose. I'm sure some veterans will be around to give you more advice on this as well.

Married 11/21/03
BW 40 (me)
WS 37
DD-14
DS-10
H went to Iraq 1/7/09-10/5/09
D-Day 10/29/09
Got the D papers 11/21/09 (Our 6th Anniversary)
Not giving up! Still on Plan A
I can only get stronger!
jcb #2297783 01/02/10 02:49 PM
S
S
DO NOT TELL HER YOU WILL EXPOSE JUST DO IT!!!!!!

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
jcb #2297788 01/02/10 03:00 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by jcb
Is telling the girlfriend better than threatening to do it unless the affair is stopped and contact terminated?

Yes. You should NOT threaten to do this, you should just DO IT. Blackmail is a huge lovebuster and the affairees will simply get to her first and spin you as a "crazy jealous nut who imagines everyone wants to bed his wife." Then when you do call she will think you are a nut.

You should just do it. She has to know anyway so she can help stop the affair from her end.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
I read your thread and I want to tell you that our sitchs are almost identical. My WH met POSOW at his work. They started out as "just friends". As you see by my sig line I was actually told about OW in November 2007. Over the past 2 years, I found a lot of evidence of an affair but was talked out of it. In March 2009, I even went out for a day to figure out what I wanted. WH called me repeatedly and asked me to come home. He said that he loved me and didn't want to lose me. He had me so convinced that they were just friends that in the summer I was thinking that I needed to work on myself and stop being so jealous and insecure.(HA)

Then came September 2009 when my WH gave me the ILYBNILWY speech. I was devastated. He convinced me that there was no other woman that things just weren't working anymore(BLAH BLAH BLAH). I found MB at the perfect time. I installed a keylogger on Nov 26. It was only on there for 2 hours until he discovered it. There was enough on there to tell me that they were indeed having sex and they were "IN love". I read and reread that info and could recite it word for word. Funny thing is he still wouldn't admit it and I said "You know I put a keylogger on the computer. I know." He is living with her right now and as he was leaving was still trying to play off like he would be in her "extra bedroom". Don't try to analyze what she is doing and why just follow what the vets on here are telling you.

I exposed, Plan A'd till it made me almost lose my mind and am now firmly in a Dark Plan B. What have I discovered? I always "knew" but didn't want to believe it. I love my WH very much but can NOT let him treat me this way. His affair continued because they worked together everyday. I may have been too late, but I hope not.

As far as if you exposing to his gf would get POSOM and your WW closer, it may be hurtful to you but it is good. Their affair can't last in the light of day. My WH is in the same house as POSOW and I am actually feeling better than when he lived here. Crazy huh?

Follow what Melody has been telling you as well as others. They know what they are talking about and they are leading you down the path for your ONLY chance to save your M.

Last edited by Scotland; 01/02/10 03:31 PM.

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
J
jcb Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Now I have her work phone number, work address, home address, email address, and facebook and myspace accounts so I think I'm covered.

So..
I call the girlfriend, tell her what I know, confront the OM, tell him I know, confront my wife (in that order)then see her reaction. If she agrees to quit work and have no contact we rebuild our marriage. If she angrily denies everything and loses her mind I calmly tell her I want everything to work but she's going to have to tell the truth..then I tell everyone (the nuclear option) co workers, family, everyone. At this point I honestly see one of needing to leave for a couple days so we don't kill each other...

J
jcb Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Scotland,
Thanks for sharing. I sincerely hope it works out for you, although what happened to you is exactly what I fear.

jcb #2297801 01/02/10 03:36 PM
S
S
DO NOT LEAVE. think of her talking in fog babble like the teacher on Peanuts(WHA WHA WHA WHA). Don't engage. If she feels like she needs to leave don't try to stop her. I had advice to say things like "I can not accept a marriage where you have a boyfriend, would you like some tea?" If she suggests that you may have been unfaithful to her simply state, "I believe in a marriage with only two people, I really like pudding."

Listen to the vets they know their stuff

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
jcb #2297802 01/02/10 03:40 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by jcb
Now I have her work phone number, work address, home address, email address, and facebook and myspace accounts so I think I'm covered.

So..
I call the girlfriend, tell her what I know, confront the OM, tell him I know, confront my wife (in that order)then see her reaction. If she agrees to quit work and have no contact we rebuild our marriage. If she angrily denies everything and loses her mind I calmly tell her I want everything to work but she's going to have to tell the truth..then I tell everyone (the nuclear option) co workers, family, everyone. At this point I honestly see one of needing to leave for a couple days so we don't kill each other...

1. call the girlfriend

2. go home and confront your wife

Save the confrontation with the OM til later. And do not leave and do not fight with her. If she wants to leave, let her leave. BUT YOU DO NOT LEAVE YOUR HOME.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

jcb #2297804 01/02/10 03:42 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by jcb
Scotland,
Thanks for sharing. I sincerely hope it works out for you, although what happened to you is exactly what I fear.

Don't let fear guide you. If you have a spare moment(or a few days hehehehe) you can hop over to my thread and see that the advice you are getting is the same. I may be further along in the process but I still have FAITH in it.

You will be able to do this. Pick up your cajones and DO IT.

You are not alone. All of us are behind you. Like was said to many others, this is a WAR against the affair. On one side you have POSOM and WW. On the other, you have YOU and all of US. Keep your chin up and take your punches(only figuratively) YOU WILL MAKE IT.

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
D
D
JCB, a few tips so you avoid doing what I did in several ways. While they didn't totally botch my recovery (so far), they created needless drama and escalation.

1. Never, ever discuss your snooping methods with a wayward. Not now, not ever. Dr. Harley emphasizes Radical Honesty, but in this case, you can be Radically Honest about the fact that you snoop, but your spouse has no standing to ask or be given an answer as to how.

If she finds out it's a keylogger, she'll start using a different computer. If you watch her phone, she'll start using pay phones or pay-as-you-go phones. If you tell her about the GPS in her car, she'll search until she finds it or else go to the lengths of taking public transportation or getting rides with friends. Every time you are "radically honest" about how you're getting the goods on her infidelity, she'll take it further underground to try to escape the truth.

So that's Tip #1: Be radically honest about every aspect of your life EXCEPT THIS ONE: don't share how you know how she's lying to you. My stock answer to her questions is to be honest about the fact that I'm keeping tabs on her activities: "Yes, I keep track in several ways, but I am not willing to discuss how I know when you are lying to me." I am telling her the truth: that I cannot tell her because she's not safe. And I'm telling her the truth that I cannot trust her with the information about how I keep track of her. But I'll never intentionally expose what those methods are ever again.

2. When you expose, encourage your exposure targets to get involved. Yes, I said "encourage". Your wayward is then stuck in the position of trying to reason with people who are outraged over her behavior. It's a dose of reality.

3. Never threaten to expose. That's a selfish demand: "Do this OR ELSE!" Just expose. It's Independent Behavior -- a Love Buster -- but a targeted one designed to make the affair very uncomfortable. And my answer to her anger over exposure, like so many before me, is "I am willing to do whatever it takes to fight for my marriage." And when your spouse starts to challenge that exposure isn't the right way to fight for your marriage... learn to walk away. It's really, really hard to do, but I learned to say "Telling the truth is always the right thing to do."

Doormat_No_More
(Formerly Barnboy)
Original thread lost in the forum purge of '09.
4 months after D-Day
1 year after D-Day
Two Years Later
Four Years Later
M
M
Great post, BB! And to back up BB's excellent advice, here are Dr Harley's quotes on these points:

1. "There are two situations where I don't recommend radical honesty or the POJA: Abuse and infidelity. In the case of infidelity, if one spouse suspects the other, I have gone so far as to encourage hiring a private detective to help investigate, using spyware, keyloggers, putting a gps on the car, and all sorts of other snooping methods. If its found that the spouse is not guilty, I encourage revealing the snooping to the spouse. If found guilty, I encourage keeping spying techniques secret indefinitely. Your conclusions are correct."

2. needs no further comment, exposure means exposure.

3. "But the alternative, helping the unfaithful spouse to keep the affair a secret, is enabling the addiction, prolonging the agony. In the long run, making the affair public knowledge without any forewarnings, threats, or bartering (which by themselves can create massive withdrawals) actually reduces the number of Love Bank withdrawals made by the betrayed spouse. It�s my opinion that the advantages of immediate exposure usually far outweigh the disadvantages." article here

Exposure 101

J
jcb Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Attempted to contact the girlfriend...no luck at any numbers, she might be off for the weekend.

My wife and I went out last night and had a great time, or so I thought...after several drinks the subject came up and she said she was glad nothing ever happened between her and the OM because she loved me so much...

Absolutely crushing to know the truth and not be able to say it yet.

Anyone at this stage ever think...it's not going to work anyway...too many lies, the absolute humiliation, it sounds strange but I could forgive the affair, but the lies...I don't know.

jcb #2298009 01/03/10 11:53 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by jcb
Anyone at this stage ever think...it's not going to work anyway...too many lies, the absolute humiliation, it sounds strange but I could forgive the affair, but the lies...I don't know.

Are you disguising your # so the OM GF can't ID you?

The lies make it very bad, jcb. The lies are harder to recover from than the affair because it is adding insult to injury.

Exposure 101

M
M
jcb, I wouldn't allow the exposure to the GF to delay your chat with your wife or the exposure to your DD, though. I would get this done so you can ask your wife now to quit that job.

Exposure 101

jcb #2298070 01/03/10 02:31 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by jcb

So..
NO!

You call the girlfriend. You call your wife's parents, siblings, and other relatives and tell them. You call her best friends and tell them. You tell your children. THEN you call OM's parents, siblings, relatives and friend.

IN THAT ORDER!

Then, if you still have energy, you call OM and tell him to stay the heck away from your wife.

J
jcb Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have the plan in place to confront my wife. I have the plan to show the actual evidence without sacrificing the keylogger I have installed. I am ready for what will happen.

However, telling my 2 daughters and my wifes mother is conflicting me. Our kids did nothing wrong..this will make our oldest daughter (the one who yelled at my wife on a previous d-day) absolutely lose her mind she also knows who the OM is and where he works, her response will probably be worse than mine...our youngest daughter will be crushed because she defended her mom and was adamant that she would never do something like this to me and our family....can not telling the kids show my wife I have allowed her to keep some small amount of dignity?

jcb #2298301 01/04/10 08:56 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by jcb
I have the plan in place to confront my wife. I have the plan to show the actual evidence without sacrificing the keylogger I have installed. I am ready for what will happen.

However, telling my 2 daughters and my wifes mother is conflicting me. Our kids did nothing wrong..this will make our oldest daughter (the one who yelled at my wife on a previous d-day) absolutely lose her mind she also knows who the OM is and where he works, her response will probably be worse than mine...our youngest daughter will be crushed because she defended her mom and was adamant that she would never do something like this to me and our family....can not telling the kids show my wife I have allowed her to keep some small amount of dignity?

Lying to your children will not retain your wife's dignity, it will harm your children by teaching them to be dishonest and causing moral confusion. There is nothing dignified about lying to children. Your wife sacrificed her dignity when she had an affair - don't protect her from the consequences of her choices. Who does that help? Absolutely no one.

Your children already know what is going on, it will help no one to whitewash her crime. Maintaining an illusion by lying to your kids helps NO ONE. It does not help your wife, and it certainly does not help your kids.

Kids can deal with the truth, they can't deal with lies. They have every right to know what is happening in their own life so they can be equipped to deal with this.

Dr Willard Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
The same can be said about telling children about an affair. My experience with the positive outcomes of hundreds of families where an affair has been exposed to children has led me to encourage a betrayed spouse not to fear such exposure. In fact, to mislead children, giving other false explanations as to why their parents are not getting along, causes children to be very confused. When they finally discover the truth, it sets an example to children that dishonesty is sometimes acceptable, making them the judge of when that might occur.

An affair is an attack on children as well as the betrayed spouse. And it's true that children are deeply affected by this form of irresponsible behavior. But it's the act of infidelity that causes children to suffer, not the exposure of it. Facts point us toward solutions. Illusion leads us astray. That's true for children as well as adults.

Exposure 101

M
M
jcp, your older DD already knows about this affair, so it sounds like your wife has been allowed to lie to her? Have you allowed your DD to be treated that way by your wayward wife?

Originally Posted by jcp
That night, everything went wrong. She left her email up when she got up and my oldest daughter saw it and came and got me. It was a message from the OM that simply said "so how are you" When my wife came back I asked her about it, and she said she didn;t know why he sent it to her, and she had never gotten an email from him before. I had her search her account with his name and of course dozens of emails came up. She started crying, I said "you've been having an affair with him, haven't you" and she nodded her head yes. Then I said "you've been sleeping with him while you've been sleeping with me?" again she nodded yes. I didn't know my daughter, who had left the toom, was hiding around the corner. She came out calling my wife a [censored] and other terrible things trying to stick up for me.

Also, have you put a keylogger on your wife's computer?

More Dr Harley on telling children:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
My basic approach to life is that radical honesty is valuable on many different dimensions. It keeps us out of trouble, it helps others understand us, and it helps others avoid the same mistakes we have made. Letting your children know the details of your husband's affair would help them in all three areas.

The more your children know about your husband's affair, the more careful he will be to avoid them in the future.

The more your children know about his affair, the more they will understand what you are going through in your recovery (by the way, you are doing very well -- keep up the good work!).

Being radically honest about your husband's affair with your children would also help them avoid affairs themselves. How it happened and how could it have been prevented is a great object lesson for children. I learned that I was vulnerable for an affair when I learned about my grandfather's affairs. The extraordinary precautions I've taken were directly related to what I learned about him.

It's the approach I've always taken, and while it's difficult, especially for the WS, there's much more upside to it than downside.

Exposure 101

jcb #2298308 01/04/10 09:15 AM
G
G
JCB,

However, telling my 2 daughters and my wifes mother is conflicting me. Our kids did nothing wrong..

Your daughters lives have already been altered by the dark matter of your wifes affair, and the OM is attacking your Mother in-laws grandchildren. Yes they need to know the truth of their lives, and the affair partners need to understand what they are doing to your innocent children.

I'm an OC btw, and everyone knew the story of my life for something like 35 years, EXCEPT ME. Was like being in the Truman Show.

God Bless
NJ

Last edited by newjersey; 01/04/10 09:19 AM.
jcb #2298311 01/04/10 09:19 AM
T
T
jcb

"the one who yelled at my wife on a previous d-day)"

The D days will never end because your lack of courage, refusing to expose WW, has taught WW that there never will be consequences for her to face.

Children can and will handle the truth. Letting them believe lies is what mess's them up.

Showing them that there are no consequences to infidelity mess's them up. To the point that the odds greatly increase that the damage done to them by the lying and covering up that they will most likely have their own affairs as adults.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 507 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation