Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#2323791 02/15/10 09:16 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I have come to a decision about my marriage, married 22 years this friday....
hubby is in an A, I found out in Nov/09.
we have a separation agreement and have taken care of the financial so all he has to do is move out...
He has not been looking for alternate housing because he says he doesn't know what he wants now.......enough time has passed. so far I've left it up to him with the time line.....
Well this weekend I decided this was all to much for me and that he should move out and on with his plan to be with his new love......
It is very tough to see him go, but he needs a big push, this will make him decide and get off the fence.....
I just am finished with this whole bull from him and all his confusion...
I am making the decision for him.......I should have when I found out about his affair, should have kicked him out then.....I probably wasted 3 months of my life feeling rejected and being told "I don't love you anymore"
I told him I understand that message loud and clear and now it's time to own his decisions and to move on with the life he claims he wants....
he is angry and hurt but I am sticking with this and just let the chips fall where they may.......
I will posting here to vent and get support......thanks for listening

BW 56
WH 57
Married 25 years, live together for 2, dated 2 years before that.....
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
Grateful for finding Marriage Builders
F
F
Hi Jessi, you should probably stick to one thread so people can read your entire story (you can have the mods fold it into your original by clicking the "Notify" button on the lower right).

I am glad to see you making decisions for yourself and being strong. This is what recovery is about -- not being miserable in a marriage that isn't working, or that won't work because one of the spouses won't work on it.

There may come a time when Plan B has its desired affect. In the mean time, be strong and post your updates here!

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
M
M
This is what happens to WS who arrogantly sit on the fence and try to string the BS along by saying, "I don't know what I want . . . "

They think the decision is theirs to make and that the BS is just so desperate for them to stay that they'll put up with anything.

And then they're shocked when suddenly the decision has been made for them and the BS can't stand to look at them anymore.

jess, this may wake him up, but even if it doesn't you will not have to suffer the emotional abuse of having a lying, cheating, neglectful partner in your home any longer.

Hang in there and keep posting. There are many here who can help you through this.

Me, BW
WH cheated in corporate workplace for many years. He moved out and filed in summer 2008.
#2327971 02/23/10 11:58 AM
J
OP Offline
J
okay as some of you know my husband and I are separated but still living together in the same house, he is suppose to find a new place but has asked for time to figure out what he still feels for me.... I found out about his affair in nov/09. He says he is not in love with me but hopes he can rekindle that feeling, He is joining me in Florida for 2 weeks, so I guess this is a good sign in it's self.....I plan to do a great Plan A even though I'm not convinced it will change anything....but this will be my last ditch effort.....
Right now he can't seem to hug or kiss me, and when he does it's just like he is going through the motions, we have had sex a few times and that has been great.....he says this has never been a problem area, it's the lack of him coming to me naturally, me so far making the effort to hug and kiss him hello and good bye....sometimes the rejection is hard to take, he says it's nothing personal, he has even used headache, being tired as excuses....still in love with other woman? He says his life wouldn't be better without me but does he want a relationship without intimacy? Is there a time line where this gets better or is this the way it will be.......anyone experience this and for how long..........thanks for the help.......sometimes I don't think it's even worth the effort.....

BW 56
WH 57
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
R
R
Originally Posted by jessitaylor
....still in love with other woman?
You bet and contact is still continuing.
He says his life wouldn't be better without me but does he want a relationship without intimacy?

Foggie talk. Get intimacy from OW, Get something else from you.
Is there a time line where this gets better or is this the way it will be.......anyone experience this and for how long..........thanks for the help.......sometimes I don't think it's even worth the effort.....

You know the answer, if no one makes a move then there is no reason WH will do anything. ... you need to do great plan A like you said then you should look into plan B. Your taker is starting to talk.

rh

Give your absolute best such that you could look back 10 years from now w/ no regret.

Happily Married to Lady Elina - 04/29/06
M
M
Hi Jess, that is not "separated;" that is moving into the back bedroom and openly carrying on an affair. Calling that "separated" is fog talk. If I walk into the garage and my H is in the kitchen, we are not "separated" we are just in different parts of the house. Fogged out waywards often use this ploy [moving into the guest room and pronouncing themselves "separated" as a justification to commit adultery]

What have you done to bust up this affair? Has the affair been exposed to everyone? Are you in plan A?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Hi again, Jess. I went back and read your other thread and agree with the others that Plan B is in order. Your H is getting his needs met in TWO PLACES and has no motivation to end his affair. You are essentially propping up his affair by allowing him to cake eat.

Plan A is not supposed to be a way of life, but a very short, 3 to 4 week program until the adulterer ends his affair. I would get him moved out and then go into Plan B if I were you. The longer you wait, the more worn down you will be mentally and the more entrenched his affair becomes.

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
"When a WS refuses to leave the lover, there are no good options for the BS. At first, plan A is recommended because there is a slim hope (15%) that, with encouragement, a WS will make the decision to leave the lover. But 85% don't do that, even when plan A is implemented perfectly. That leaves two other choices which are both bad. The first is to continue plan A indefinitely, trying to encourage the WS to leave the lover, and the second is to initiate plan B, which is to completely separate from the WS. The problem with a coninuation of plan A is that it usually leads to severe emotional symptoms, including years of post-traumatic stress disorder, even when the WS eventually returns. Many women that I've counseled actually have nervous breakdowns in their effort to draw their WS back to them. Instead of making the BS attractive to the WS, plan A actually makes these poor women so unattractive that it completely eliminates all hope of reconciliation. And 95% of all affairs eventually "die a natural death." If you do absolutely nothing, they usually end.

So I've recommended plan B rather early in the effort to separate the WS from his lover.

AND

"The primary reason for abandoning plan A for plan B is protection. The stress experienced in plan A (trying to care for someone too long who is hurting you more deeply than you ever have, or ever will, experience) can leave you physically and emotionally damaged. So the question each person must ask themselves is, "how tough am I?"

My experience is that men are tougher mentally and physically than women. By that, I mean that women seem to start falling apart emotionally and physically after just a few months, or even a few weeks, of plan A. Men, on the other hand, seem to be able to keep it up for years before experiencing health problems.

If I don't know a person too well, I tend to lean to the safe side by recommending 3-4 weeks of plan A for women, and 6 months for men. But if a woman is no worse for wear after a few weeks, or a man is feeling okay after 6 months, there's no reason to end plan A at that point. As you can see, it's inexact, and depends on how the person is doing. A good support system (like the support people often receive on the Forum) can often keep a person in plan A much longer. "

Best wishes
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
OP Offline
J
yes the affair has been in the open since i found out, I guess what I meant when i said I was separated is that we have a legal separation agreement , the financial is taken care of, he is even paying me alimony. I took care of all these things, told him it was over when I found out about the affair, he said it is over with the OW, he spends all his time with me now, home right after work, doesn't go out for anything. He says he wants to work on us and has asked for a chance, going to Florida with me was his idea, I just don't understand the distance so far with the physical touch, he told me he is afraid of getting hurt by me again and me deciding it is still over...this is my last ditch effort and only because we have been together 26 years. and i also owe my faults......i am prepared to call it quits though, can't just go back to what it was and the lack of intimacy was one of my problems with him.......just wondered if anyone else had any experience with this kind of situation

BW 56
WH 57
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
M
M
He says his life wouldn't be better without me but does he want a relationship without intimacy?

Translation: please be my "friend" while I destroy our marriage and bring you down. I don't want to be your husband, but I want you to be "friendly" while I destroy you.

This is what ALL WS's want. But you should tell him you won't be "friends" with someone who lies to you and cheats on you.

Your husband is hoping you will cooperate with his planned destruction and he should be disabused of that notion. Since he is an attorney, I would make sure you have GREAT legal counsel.

Do you have good legal counsel, jess?

Exposure 101

F
F
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Hi Jess, that is not "separated;" that is moving into the back bedroom and openly carrying on an affair. Calling that "separated" is fog talk. If I walk into the garage and my H is in the kitchen, we are not "separated" we are just in different parts of the house. Fogged out waywards often use this ploy [moving into the guest room and pronouncing themselves "separated" as a justification to commit adultery]
In Virginia, this is actually considered separation!

My WW moved into another room on October 26, 2009 and out of the house on November 30. Our separation and property settlement agreement stipulates our separation date as October 26.

St. Francis of Assissi
M
M
He says he wants to work on us and has asked for a chance, going to Florida with me was his idea, I just don't understand the distance so far with the physical touch, he told me he is afraid of getting hurt by me again and me deciding it is still over

Getting hurt by you? What does this mean?

First off, Jess, your marriage will never recover as long as he sees the OW at work every day. The affair HAS NOT ENDED. Just the fact that he comes home at night tells me nothing. A person who SAYS they want to recover and does nothing to effect that recovery is more likely running a con game, not sincerely interested in recovery.

If he wants to recover the marriage, here is what it will take:

The plan I recommend for recovery after an affair is very specific. That's because I've found that even small deviations from that plan are usually disastrous. But when it's followed, it always works. The plan has two parts that must be implemented sequentially. The first part of the plan is for the unfaithful spouse to completely separate from the lover and eliminate the conditions that made the affair possible. The second part is for the couple to create a romantic relationship, using my Basic Concepts as a guide.

I'll describe these two parts to you in a little more detail.

The first step, complete separation from the lover and eliminating the conditions that made the affair possible, requires a complete understanding of the affair. All information regarding the affair must be revealed to the betrayed spouse, including the name of the lover, the conditions that made the affair possible (travel, internet, etc.), the details of what took place during the affair, all correspondence, and anything else that would shed light on the tragedy.

This information is important for two reasons: (1) it creates accountability and transparency, making it essentially impossible for the unfaithful spouse to continue the affair or begin a new one unnoticed, and (2) it creates trust for the betrayed spouse, providing evidence that the affair is over and a new one is unlikely to take its place. The nightmares you experience are likely to continue until you have the facts that
will lead to your assurance that your husband can be trusted.

An analysis of the betrayed spouse's childhood or emotional state of mind in an effort to discover why he or she would have an affair is distracting and unnecessary. It takes precious time away from finding the real solutions. I know why people have affairs: We are all wired for it. Given certain conditions, we would all do it. Given other conditions, however, none of us would do it. So the goal of the first step is to discover the conditions that made the affair possible and eliminate them.

After the first step is completed, the second step is to create a romantic relationship between you and your husband using my 10 Basic Concepts http://marriagebuilders.com/ca/to.cgi?l=qa080103bc
as your guide. While your relationship may be improving, it won't lead to a romantic relationship because you are not being transparent toward each other. Unspoken issues in a marital relationship lead to a superficiality that ruins romance.
here

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Fred_in_VA
In Virginia, this is actually considered separation!

It is also considered "separation" in the foggy minds of waywards, and used as justification to commit adultery from the back bedroom.

Exposure 101

M
M
great.....he says this has never been a problem area, it's the lack of him coming to me naturally, me so far making the effort to hug and kiss him hello and good bye....sometimes the rejection is hard to take, he says it's nothing personal, he has even used headache, being tired as excuses....still in love with other woman?

This makes me think his affair is in full swing but he is on the fence about committing to either of you. He is holding out while weighing all options. He feels like he is CHEATING when he has sex with you and probably promised the OW he would not have sex with you.

Exposure 101

J
OP Offline
J
yes I live in canada and it is also considered separated here as well, you can live in the same house and be separated.
I guess I know I should pull the plug because it all points to the end of the marriage, but I guess since it's him asking and I'm a fixer by nature I should at least do the 2 weeks in florida and see what happens....
He told me last night if he leaves me it won't fix what is wrong, he won't really say what all his problems are but maybe in florida I can talk to him and try to understand why my husband is going through all he is, he seems depressed and like he can't handle anything, even the little things are to much......
he is giving up a lot to be in this spot he is in.....it's not like him to fight for what is his.....he says he is going to go to a monastery and do some pendance for his sins....I told him if it was our marriage and me that has thrown him into this state that he should just go and relieve that pressure, he says that is not it. but I don't know what it really is if he is telling the truth........I guess 2 more weeks won't kill me, I am going to keep myself in a safe place emotionally for now..

BW 56
WH 57
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
M
M
My vote is to Plan A your [censored] off in FL, have a GREAT time with him, show him what a magical M you can have...and then straight to Plan B when you get home because he will not fire her/stop seeing her daily/cake eating.

Write your PBL before you go and get all of your ducks ina row for a dark Plan B as soon as you return [within a day or two].

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
F
F
yes I live in canada and it is also considered separated here as well, you can live in the same house and be separated.
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
It is also considered "separation" in the foggy minds of waywards, and used as justification to commit adultery from the back bedroom.
It is because of this that I insisted my WW move out. When she dropped the a-bomb on me, she asked me if I wanted her to move out, even though she had "no place to go," I said yes.

I even asked her why she didn't just move in with OM. Her reply was, "It's complicated." That's when I knew he was married.

She told me on a Friday. On the following Monday she moved into another room. As she did so, I went to an attorney and had the first draft of our SPSA drawn up. She was so foggy she didn't half understand what was in it.

After she signed it and I returned it to the lawyer, she asked me, "There isn't anything in there that is going to $crew me, is there?" To the contrary, I gave much more than I should have, in retrospect.

It's one of the things she left behind, in fact. I found her copy (with a hand-written note to OM on the back side of page 1) when I was cleaning out the house.

But I digress.

Separated and living under the same roof is NOT a recommendation I would make. To anyone!

St. Francis of Assissi
M
M
Jess, going to Florida will be nice, but it is not a plan for recovery. In order for your marriage to recover, you need a PLAN to recover it. Lets say I want to lose 100 pounds. I can't lose 100 pounds by going to Florida, I have to go on a DIET and actually USE the diet.

It is the same with your marriage. "Understanding" your H will not save your marriage. Using a program of recovery WILL.

If I were in your shoes, and wanted to save my marriage, here is what I would do. I would sit him down and say this:

Joe, I am willing to try to make this work if you are willing to make the effort to do the things necessary to recover. Our marriage can make it and we can have romantic, passionate love again if we do certain things. Here is what it will take:

1. Ending all contact with the OW for life. That means no more contact at work even if that means leaving your job
2. Following Marriage Builders program to a) affair proof this marriage and b) create romantic love

I am willing to try on those conditions. I know of no other way to save our marriage and am not willing to go forward unless there is a rational plan in place. Otherwise, I want to you to move out now. I can�t go on while you go to see the OW every day at work. It is too painful.

Force his hand, Jess. DEMAND that he end contact with his OW. Nothing short of a demand will suffice.

If he decides to try recovery, I would STRONGLY URGE you get counseling from Steve Harley and in the meantime sign up for the Marriage Builders weekend that is coming in March. It is in Minnesota. My H and I went to this and it is fabulous. It is an 8 lesson plan to restore your marriage by creating romantic love and it really works. You start the program with a weekend seminar and after that you do weekly lessons that are guided by your assigned coach. Dr Harley oversees this whole thing and you would have daily access to him over on the weekend forum. Many of us here have used this program and it was worth every penny. Our marriages are fully recovered.

Exposure 101

R
R
Separated and living under the same roof is NOT a recommendation I would make. To anyone!

Actually it is better if you are doing plan A. You are creating also a pressure on A. But it is not for everyone.

rh

Give your absolute best such that you could look back 10 years from now w/ no regret.

R
R
I guess 2 more weeks won't kill me, I am going to keep myself in a safe place emotionally for now..

Yes, yes and yes !. hurray Focus on your plan A and what's coming then decide later.

If you don't mind me to ask what is your plan A ?.

-rh-

F
F
Originally Posted by redhat

Actually it is better if you are doing plan A. You are creating also a pressure on A. But it is not for everyone
Well, yes. I should have clarified a bit: under the terms of a separation, any time the spouses engage in SF, the separation date becomes reset. There isn't truly any legal form of separation under these circumstances.

Plan A is an attempt to kill the affair and show the WS how good the marriage ought to be. Under Plan B, however, living under the same roof is sheer torture.

St. Francis of Assissi
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 438 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation