Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
P
Originally Posted by princessmeggy
Hmm, well if that isn't a coincidence. My boss happens to run in that circle. In fact, he just returned from serving a stint working directly for the governor and they remain very good friends. Bet I know OM.

You are so awesome!
Never ceases to amaze me how awesome you are.
It's too bad your awesomeness was wasted here.
kiss

L
L
Originally Posted by Texas777
This approach is not mature dialog.

Whoa, there pardner. You came to a Marriage Builders board as a former Marriage Buster, omitted that little detail, asked for advice and then proceeded to insult all the fine folks trying to help you by basically telling them to take their advice and stuff it, and you're complaining about not having 'mature dialog'?
rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao Thanks for the entertainment, but there are folks here who really do need/want help.

(Is there a full moon?)

Me: BH 60 - Married 21 years
ExW had an EA beginning 09/09 (Facebook)
After a few false recoveries, I filed for D 05/11
D final 03/12

'Be Mindful of Your Many Blessings and Endeavor Daily to be Worthy of Them'
Jay Severin

'Life is a gift and it offers each of us the privilege, the opportunity and the responsibility to give something back by becoming something more'
Tony Robbins
P
P
I wondered when I saw the trip' 7s in the name.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
P
P
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Hmm, well if that isn't a coincidence. My boss happens to run in that circle. In fact, he just returned from serving a stint working directly for the governor and they remain very good friends. Bet I know OM.

You are so awesome!
Never ceases to amaze me how awesome you are.
It's too bad your awesomeness was wasted here.
kiss

Why thank you Ms. Pep! You're pretty awesome yourself. kiss (Back at cha)

“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
P
P
This approach is not mature dialog.

Nice try. rotflmao
These are the defects for marriages between the spouse and the OP.

1) The intervention of Reality: Divorce in these marriages tends to take place very early in the marriage. During th affair, the infidel and perhaps the affairee are in a state of intensely stimulating unreality. The second marriage itself seems to be a switch that throws the lights on and illuminates the mess that has accumulated. It is as if the romance had seemed real, while the divorce didnt. Only after the remarriage did the divorce become real enough for the lovers to see that it was all a horrible mistake. The affairs that become marriages typically were so intense they were never questioned at all. During the divorce, reality never set in sufficiently to let the romance be evaluated and questioned. The romance was so romantic on one ever got around to asking if it was sane.

2) Guilt.. People who have wrecked a family have inflicted much pain, and they have a lot they could feel guilty about. As reality sets in, they see many things they were overlooking. They may have felt no guilt during the affair and divorce, and the guilt they feel after the romantic marriage may come as a suprise to both of them. It is generally assumed that people who dont permit themselves to be happy must be feeling guilty about somethingm and are unhappy as a way of punishing themselves for their misdeeds. One aspect of guilt is the rluctance to enjoy ones ill-gotten gains. Another aspect of guilt is the urge to return to the scene of the crime and in some way make amends. As a romantic newlywed resists the joys of the ex-mate who was deserted so blitheyly, the new mate can feel disoriented and betrayed.

3) Disparity of sacrifice... Divorces are expensive luxuries. Whatever the financial cost, the emotional cost is far greater. Anyone after losing that much, will be drained, exhausted and depressed. It is particularly difficult when the exhausted survivor of a debilitating divorce marries the triumphant winner of the struggle. If the romantic partner is marrying for the first time, and especially if the courtship has been treacherous and insecure, the new mate will be ecstatic. A new couple may feel a disparity in what had to be sacrificed to bring them together. The partner who has never been divorced may have difficulty understanding the complexity of emotions toward the previous family.

4) Expectations.. Then there is the feeling that anything that cost this much emotionally had damn well better be worth it. The greater the sacrifices, the greater the expectations from the new marriage. Now that the promised land has been reached, it should flow with milk and honey. But instead, the new couple are just 2 tired warriors with no fight left in them. Whatever these people were expecting, the best they are likey to find now is the ordinariness of real life, the dubious peace between glorious battles. The more people enjoy the battles involved in wrecking and escaping marriages, the less they are likely to enjoy the business as usual of the new marriage that was the destination of it all.

5) General Distrust of Marriage.. Of course, anyone who has been unhappily married is likely to develop a strong distrust of the institution of marriage. People whose marriages fell apart during affairs are likey to end up distrusting marriages rather than distrusting affaris. People who distrust marriage have a vey hard time being in one.

6) Distrust of affairee..It might seem appropriate for someone to go out with them, or even to marry them, but not quite appropriate for someone to have an affair with them. Affairs are considered dishonerable acts, and people who feel guilty for having affairs believe that they are dishonorable and their partner must be dishonorable too.

7) Divided Loyalties..During the affair tnd the divorce, the romantic couple isolate themselves. It is not only the betrayed spouses who are erased from awareness, but also the children, the families, friends, anyone who attempts to pull the romantic couple from the quicksand of their affair. But after the remarriage, there may be a longing to reestablish connections with families and friends and this may be more difficult than expected. Each close relationship and some that were amazingly casual may have to be renegotiated in view of the hurt caused to others.

8) The nature of infidels.... People who get themselves into affairs have some specific characteristics that must influence the course of their subsequent marriages. Each kind of infidel is different. Most of those who end up marrying an affair partner are romatics who drift hypnotically through this romantic high without taking much responsibility. Romantic remarriage seldom works, not only because of th unrealistic nature of romance, but also because of the reality-avoiding nature of romantics.

9)The nature of affairees.... Affairees want whatever they want from a relationship, jsut as everyone else does, but what makes them unusual is that they seek their goals among the married rather than the single. They choose partners who are not in position to marry them, and who are engaging in the relationship at great risk. People like this are clearly angry with marriage, and perhaps with the opposite sex. They believe marriage doesnt work, and they demonstrate that by breaking up another marriage as they find a partner for themselves.

10) Romance.. People who believe in the chemistry of romance dont bother to learn much about the physics of relationships. When the romance begins to fade, romantics know little about how to solve those problems that they have relied on romance to transcend. It is painful to watch a romantic relationship dissolve. It happens so suddenly, and so totally. These people have already demonstrated that they would rather get divorced than learn physics, so it is far easier for them to follow the same pattern.

11) Scapegoating of cuckolds... During the affair and divorce, the romantic couple conspired to convince each other that the defective marriage was the fault of the cuckold. To acknowledge otherwise, now that remarriage has taken place, seems a betrayal of the rescue fantasies that fed the romance.

12) Unshared history... Even if the new marriage survives all of these obstacles, there is one further characteristic of all second marriages: The absence of a shared history that brings familiarity torelationships that began earlier in life. If a romantic marriage has wrecked a previous marriage or two, the history of the relationship is painful to both partners, and possibly somewhat embarrasing to others. The new partners keep thinking about it and justifying it, but it is hard to talk about lightly, in the familiar, safe manner of people who can tell their old war stories without guilt. However intense their commitment, people who share a guilty past arent totally rpoud of their new marriage.

P
P
My previous post is intended for all the BETRAYED spouses reading along.
Do not despair.
A marriage built on other people's pain and suffering, is an ugly, ugly thing.
And, not worthy of our effort.
Texas777 can do whatever he wants.
Why care?
No reason I can think of.

Last edited by Pepperband; 03/18/10 04:13 PM.
M
M
Texas777, after all that you've said about your WW, and now what you've disclosed about how your M started...

Why on Earth do you want to remain M'd to that woman? Because it looks to me that you should be running away from her as fast as you can!

Last edited by ManInMotion; 03/18/10 04:19 PM.

ManInMotion
===========
(see "MiM's Story" for more details)
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by ManInMotion
Texas777, after all that you've said about your WW, and now what you've disclosed about how your M started...

Why on Earth do you want to remain M'd to that woman? Because it looks to me that you should running away from her as fast as you can!

You're 100% right. All I can say is love makes people do stupid things.

Last edited by Texas777; 03/18/10 04:14 PM.
P
P
All I can say is love makes people do stupid things.
10) Romance.. People who believe in the chemistry of romance dont bother to learn much about the physics of relationships. When the romance begins to fade, romantics know little about how to solve those problems that they have relied on romance to transcend. It is painful to watch a romantic relationship dissolve. It happens so suddenly, and so totally. These people have already demonstrated that they would rather get divorced than learn physics, so it is far easier for them to follow the same pattern.

P
P
My previous post is intended for all the BETRAYED spouses reading along.
Do not despair.
A marriage built on other people's pain and suffering, is an ugly, ugly thing.

M
M
I wondered when I saw the trip' 7s in the name.

Why? What does that mean?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Originally Posted by ManInMotion

Why on Earth do you want to remain M'd to that woman? Because it looks to me that you should running away from her as fast as you can!

You're 100% right. All I can say is love makes people do stupid things.

Well, perhaps it's time for you to do something smart. Walk away from that walking disaster area and never look back. And send a note to the OM saying that he can keep her wink.

ManInMotion
===========
(see "MiM's Story" for more details)
P
P
There's another semi-regular poster here who posts under many screennames and that is one of his MOs. I could be wrong and this could be legit but even so, now that his "truth" is revealed, it really doesn't matter to me.

Last edited by princessmeggy; 03/18/10 04:29 PM. Reason: should of said tries to be a semi-regular poster till the mods catch him... lol

L
L
Tex,

Seems to me you have but one choice here...and that is to change your life.

You are married to a WW...an unrepentant woman who refuses to see the hideous damage she does to so many in her life, her supposed loved ones.

And you were one of them...and you are her enabler to keep doing it.

Like paying for her counseling. Revoke that, 'k? That's not loving--it's enabling for her to continue to NOT take responsibility for her choices.

Her choices got her to where she is right now...wake up and see that real love isn't what you had with her...because you already knew she lied to others and to herself...and see where you bought her lies, 'k?

You don't have children with her...you don't have a real history--as you now know, an affair is an illusion, it's fantasy...so she really didn't love you, nor you, her. You were just lost in that "love does stupid things" belief system for a long time.

Your chance now, at your rock bottom, is to wake up from that illusion and really see how much you are drawn to rescue others, buy into their deceptions...you have a lot of false payoffs in you for doing this...and now, you can stop. Really stop.

When you choose to love your partner for who they are completely...not just parts and pieces...you will live and love in radical honesty. You will be able to follow the four rules of marriage without just doing one part, one piece.

This woman has a lot of personal growth to go through, Tex, and there is no reason to believe she will. Allow her what you already have...her own rock bottom. Get out of her way. If anything, write her an honest letter before you go dark that owns you were two people who didn't care you destroyed a marriage...and that yours wasn't real...you guys didn't know real selves because you weren't the other's real partner.

Then go dark and do not assist her in anyway. Finish the divorce. Clean your slate...work on yourself, grow more, know more, and know yourself more than you have...find all the lies you told yourself for years and years and end them.

When you do this, you won't be attracted to her dysfunction anymore...and moving on, over time, will be easier for you.

We do reap what we sow...only, it's designed that way for us to grow, 'k? To not learn is the greatest travesty. When you don't do that with every lesson, then you repeat them.

LA

C
C
Good morning Joe,

I know I'm probably the last person in the world that you would ever want to hear from, and I don't blame you at all for that. I have wanted to send you this email for many years. I want to tell you I am truly sorry for all the pain that I have caused you for the part I had in destroying your marriage by taking your wife away from you and all the damage that caused to your family. It was a terrible and totally wrong thing that I did to involve myself with Mrs Joe while you were married to her. For all these years, not a day has gone by that I didn't think about what I did and how it affected your life and all the pain you must have gone through for many years. I have no excuse for my actions and I will not try to place blame anywhere else. I was wrong and I deeply regret it. I can only account my actions to my own weakness that allowed temptation to take control of me which caused me to do what I knew to be wrong then and now. It was very selfish of me. I am fully aware that no words I can offer can make up for what I have done. Ronnie - I am truly sorry and I hope one day you can forgive me for what I did to you.

As a closing word, I want you to know I was very happy to hear last year that you remarried. It is my heartfelt hope you have found peace and happiness in your new life.

I would not appreciate getting a letter like this from Gollum some day. It would piss me off a lot. Then I would have to go back to cleaning the guns all the time again.

I would be okay with it however if he sent me his ears, nose, lips and teeth in a mason jar of formaldehyde. Now that I would proudly keep on the mantle.

by taking your wife away from you

You did not take his wife away. You're not that all powerful. She made the choice back then just like she is now.

Last edited by chrisner; 03/18/10 05:00 PM.

Testosterone boys! Testosterone! It ain’t just for nose, ear and back hair anymore!
P
P
Originally Posted by chrisner
I would be okay with it however if he sent me his ears, nose, lips and teeth in a mason jar of formaldehyde. Now that I would proudly keep on the mantle.
rotflmao

Oh, you're so immature.
rotflmao

You did not take his wife away. You're not that all powerful. She made the choice back then just like she is now.

EGG ZAK LEE

C
C
Oh, you're so immature.

But I am not bitter.

Testosterone boys! Testosterone! It ain’t just for nose, ear and back hair anymore!
B
B
Originally Posted by chrisner
Then I would have to go back to cleaning the guns all the time again.

What, did you sell the wood chipper?

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
T
OP Offline
T
Update: Wife just called (not upset)and reiterated several times that me sending emails is not helping me at all. She also said that she would never have anything to do with me again if my email to OM had made OM not want to see my wife anymore.

I said several times that I am fighting to keep her and that I value our marriage very much etc., and that is why I sent the email. She said she understands why I did it, but she said I made a huge mistake in thinking it would help our situation.

My wife then said she needs some space. I said that would probably be a good idea for both of us. I am going to try my best to cut off all contact with her and see if she contacts me. Is that the best approach?

T
OP Offline
T
quote]

by taking your wife away from you

[/quote]

It was a bad choice of words on my part. Don't read too deeply into it. Of course I realize that she and I were both responsible.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,169 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation