Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
R
Some films do show the dark side of where infidelity can lead, such as the over-the-top, "Fatal Attraction" with Michael Douglas and Glenn Close, or "Unfaithful" with Richard Gere and Diane Lane. Even these cop out on reality with extreme endings.

A TV movie that I never got to see in its entirety, "One Special Night", is entirely different. James Garner (whose wife is dying of Alzheimer's) and Julie Andrews (a pediatrician and a widow) don't have an affair, but avoid one while finding comfort in conversation.

M
M
One I've watched is "The Family That Preys", one of the Tyler Perry films. What stands out for me about this film compared to other films showing affairs (the affair is just one storyline among many in the film, so it's not just an "affair flick") is the rather unsympathetic way the WW is played.

The WW's character is basically an embittered, entitled wench who treats her husband like dog poop she just stepped in and elevates the OM to near godlike status. Most normal people would strongly dislike the character halfway through the movie, and I think most of you on this forum would absolutely HATE her. Most would cheer when she gets her comeuppance near the end. It's a more realistic ending to an affair than shown in most movies.

The Macnut-42, W - 45 3 stepkids,
SDD - 27, SDS1 - 22, SDS2 - 18
M
M
We watched an Alfred Hitchcock Presents the other night that contained a textbook adultery. The adulterer involved was a classic cake eater and said pretty much everything that has been said about waywards on this forum.

He wound up dead, too.

It was a second season episode, called "One For the Road."

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
R
R
My daughter came over the other night and brought a movie, IT'S COMPLICATED, with Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin. She and my wife watched it. I did not want to be rude, but I thought they actually made relationships and affairs way too simple. This bordered on creepy for me, and I left after a few minutes, and walked back through the den a few times and glanced at it - getting worse.

F
F
Originally Posted by MacNut
One I've watched is "The Family That Preys", one of the Tyler Perry films. What stands out for me about this film compared to other films showing affairs (the affair is just one storyline among many in the film, so it's not just an "affair flick") is the rather unsympathetic way the WW is played.

The WW's character is basically an embittered, entitled wench who treats her husband like dog poop she just stepped in and elevates the OM to near godlike status. Most normal people would strongly dislike the character halfway through the movie, and I think most of you on this forum would absolutely HATE her. Most would cheer when she gets her comeuppance near the end. It's a more realistic ending to an affair than shown in most movies.
Many of Tyler Perry's movies involve adultery and he does not glamorize it at all. In fact, if you watch the movie "Why Did I Get Married?" the BW meets a much better man after her abusive WH leaves her for the OW. The WH ends up miserable with his OW and is shocked that his xBW is so happy.

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
P
P
Originally Posted by markos
We watched an Alfred Hitchcock Presents the other night that contained a textbook adultery. The adulterer involved was a classic cake eater and said pretty much everything that has been said about waywards on this forum.

He wound up dead, too.

It was a second season episode, called "One For the Road."

Story points revealed:

Synopsis

Marcia Hendrix finds out that her husband Charles has been cheating on her with a woman named Beryl Abbott. She tries to poison Beryl by putting poison in her sugar bowl. When she goes home she discovers that that her husband has gone to Beryl. Not wanting to kill him, she goes to Beryl and tells her of the poison. Beryl says that Charles has already taken the poison. Marcia leaves to find a doctor. Charles comes in from another room. Not knowing the muder plot but knowing that his wife knows about Beryl, Charles decides to end the affair. Before leaving Beryl asks him to have some coffee for the road. He do so and helps himself to some sugar.

M
M
Oh, so people did read my Hitchcock thread. We saw another adultery-featuring Hitchcock the other night, but I think I fell asleep in it and missed the ending. smile

The nice thing about Mr. Hitchcock's stories is that they do not glamorize adultery.

And the intriguing thing is that the adulteries seem to play out just like many of the stories here.

I mean other than ghastly murders and such. smile The people say the same things, is what I'm getting at!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Charles was a classic cake-eater. We cringed to watch him tell his lover why he couldn't divorce his wife. We cringed for both women involved. Even though they were fictional characters.

M
M
Originally Posted by markos
Oh, so people did read my Hitchcock thread.

Oops; no; looks like I commented on two threads. Here's the other one, with a growing list:

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2384248#Post2384248

R
R
My post is gone, so here I try again...

My daughter rented IT'S COMPLICATED and brought it over. She and my wife watched it. I did not like the simplicity and nonsense of the acceptance of this affair. It's like the writer/director is either incapable of treating the plot premise seriously, or just wants to make a commercial formula flick reflecting pop degradation.

S
S
It hasn't gone!

Originally Posted by Retread
My daughter came over the other night and brought a movie, IT'S COMPLICATED, with Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin. She and my wife watched it. I did not want to be rude, but I thought they actually made relationships and affairs way too simple. This bordered on creepy for me, and I left after a few minutes, and walked back through the den a few times and glanced at it - getting worse.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
R
R
Oh, I swear it was not there yesterday. Hmmm.
Anyway, has anyone seen this film, "It's Complicated"?
What did you think about it?

C
C
I saw it. I thought it was an interesting take on a Revenge Affair, thought they portrayed the therapist very badly, lol'd at the line about Streep needing 'lots of semen', think that Alec Baldwin plays sleazy very, very well, and I was a bit uncomfortable with the general acceptance of everyone around Streep. That girl needed a better class of friends!

However, SPOLIER! Highlight to read:

I was glad to see that Alec ended up losing both women at the end. At least it wasn't romanticized to the point where they got back together.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
K
K
There was an affair of sorts in my new favorite movie, Repo! The Genetic Opera, but it wasn't played out, it was part of the backstory.

Marni was engaged to Rotti, and left him in favor of one of his employees, Nathan, whom she later married.

SPOILER ALERT!!!! SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Rotti poisoned her fatally. (There are other details but this is what ended up happening)

I think we need more affair endings like this, and Fatal Attraction. Then maybe I wouldn't have to stare at constant headlines about infidelity.

I maintain HARDILY that it was an affair, yet everyone I know who's seen the movie, seems to think it was okay since Rotti is an "evil" guy and "they were only engaged.". My "she promised herself to him" argument didn't work at all. sigh

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation