Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
P
Originally Posted by jessitaylor
Well as some of you know, my husband had an affair and has now changed his mind and has asked me to re-consider working on our marriage, he has broken off with the OW, gave me all his passwords, requested phone records to come to me, has agreed to marriage therapy, he has agreed to leave separation agreement in place until I feel some level of trust again......says he is sorry and that he doesn't like himself much for doing what he has done to me and our boys.......I don't have a lot of trust at this point but I'm willing to see where it all goes with the work he says he is willing to do.
The OW is a bit of a problem, she is telling her friends she is suicidal I just hope she goes away and lets us heal now.....my husband says she will eventually give up if he doesn't respond to her in anyway........he is being honest with me and he realizes it will take time and patience to get through this and keep saying that he loves me and that I will see that he means what he says and that I can trust him.........
I still have a lot of doubts and questions myself, it's fear of putting yourself out there again, I guess it all just takes time to believe and trust again......
I'm begining to think this whole thing will go on forever.......
Trying to be patient, need some encouragement I guess.

Time for you to read up a little on the problem of

false recovery

My best advise?

Call Harley counseling center for recovery coaching.

There is a GOOD amount of hope in your situation.
Set the bar HIGH.
And get yourselves some awesome marriage recovery coaching.

M
M
Time for you to read up a little on the problem of

false recovery

My best advise?

Call Harley counseling center for recovery coaching.

There is a GOOD amount of hope in your situation.
Set the bar HIGH.
And get yourselves some awesome marriage recovery coaching.

Absolutely, TOTALLY, 100% agree. Call the Harleys for MC...it will help you avoid a FR.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
M
M
P.S. And too bad for the OW...soooo many of them threaten this (ours did...it's a fantastic manipulation tool and a last-ditch, desperate attempt to hold on to something that they knew they never "had" in the first place).

Ignore her. Why does your H even know this??? There should be absolutely, positively NC or you are in for a nightmare of a FR.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

J
OP Offline
J
hey pepper, going to book some therapy for me and us as a couple. I also have access to his accounts and will be receiving phone records I'm also thinking of putting a gps in his car to make sure there is no contact.......
I'm trying to believe he means what he says, but when something like this happens you doubt everything........I have left the door open for him to go all this time, he has chosen not to go and to end things with the OW. He has even had a conversation with his mother about working things out with me and he said they were all very happy that he had come to the realization that his marriage was the most important thing.......he is saying all the right things now, doing the right things, is very understanding when I question anything or ask any questions about his feelings about me, us the other woman, how he feels about himself........he is being honest even though some of it hurts, he keeps telling me that he will prove to me he is the man I used to believe in and that he understands now what he was about to lose and what he did was not worth any of the pain he has caused his family........
He said he is in love with me and that he was sorry he ever said he didn't love me.
I'm going to read the article on false recovery and I will of course keep my ears and eyes open.........trust will come in time, I didn't make any promises I said I would see how comfortable I can get with the new effort on his part, I told him I am ready to walk if anything else happens and he knows that I mean it.......we already have worked out all the details in a separation agreement and he is still paying me alimony while we work things out, my decision until I feel secure enough to re-connect on that level, he understands and realizes it's up to him to re-build the trust and security I need to feel...........
he says he sees and realizes what kind of woman I am and he will do what it takes to re-build.......
I'm sleeping with one eye open for now......

BW 56
WH 57
Married 25 years, live together for 2, dated 2 years before that.....
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
Grateful for finding Marriage Builders
P
P
OWs do not actually kill themselves.
They threaten all the time.

M
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband
OWs do not actually kill themselves.
They threaten all the time.

Yes they do and they just end up looking even dumber than the first time they dropped their panties.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

J
OP Offline
J
thank god, thanks for all your help with my situation, you have always given me something to research and consider.

BW 56
WH 57
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
M
M
Do yourself a favor, jessi and don't even bother with traditional MC. We've seen countless cases around here (and I can personally tesify) to what a waste traditioncal MCs are in dealing with affairs.

Save yourself a boatload of grief and counsel only with the Harleys.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

J
OP Offline
J
thanks for the advice, my hubby is away on a boy's golf holiday for a couple of days, when he returns I will discuss that options with him, I have read all the Harley's stuff and I have tried to follow the suggestions and just also did what I thought would work, I think giving him the freedom to go and being his safe place to be was the key. When he knew he would have the freedom to go if he chose to with the OW, it's like he didn't want to, I think if I had made him go, he might have gone with her because he would have no choice but to follow through on what he started, it was a big risk I know but I was willing to let him go if that is what he chose, when it came down to it, having the choice to walk isn't always what they want.........

BW 56
WH 57
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
_
_

Jessi.

Are you sure that the counseling is legit? Many of them are more divorce counselors than marriage. They are awful. Is it Christian based and if so, is it certified by Family Dynamics?

Here is the link for Dr. Harley's thoughts on selecting a marriage counselor.

Click me

Larry

J
OP Offline
J
hey Larry,
I haven't booked anything as of yet, but the counsellor I'm thinking about is a Christian Counselor. I live in Canada but I will discuss the options with my husband and see what we decide together, I'm thinking that he needs to go and figure out what in him made him go outside our marriage vows and I need to go to figure out how to re-build trust and we need to go so we can listen to each other and figure out together why and how we got to this point and how to fix and improve our relationship........I want to make sure it's all for the right reasons....

BW 56
WH 57
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
M
M
I live in Canada but I will discuss the options with my husband and see what we decide together, I'm thinking that he needs to go and figure out what in him made him go outside our marriage vows and I need to go to figure out how to re-build trust and we need to go so we can listen to each other and figure out together why and how we got to this point and how to fix and improve our relationship........

The Harley's cover every.single.one.of.these.concerns. And then some. And they do it with a tried-and-trusted PLAN that's worked for hundreds (thousands?) of couples. This is what they DO ~ help couples recover from affairs.

Why are you asking a WAYWARD what he wants to do in order to recover from his A??? His "best thinking" got him into this mess! This would be like asking an alcoholic what HE thinks the best plan for getting clean would be. How can a drunk decide such a thing when he's DRUNK out of his mind?

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

_
_
hey Larry,
I haven't booked anything as of yet, but the counsellor I'm thinking about is a Christian Counselor. I live in Canada but I will discuss the options with my husband and see what we decide together, I'm thinking that he needs to go and figure out what in him made him go outside our marriage vows and I need to go to figure out how to re-build trust and we need to go so we can listen to each other and figure out together why and how we got to this point and how to fix and improve our relationship........I want to make sure it's all for the right reasons....

Hokay!

While I will ALWAYS recommend Dr. Harley's coaching center with either Steve or Jennifer, I have been told that Family Dynamics is authorized by Dr. Harley to certify counselors. They are in Tennessee, but they also have a Canadian Coordinator.

This is a Christian Organization if you prefer that route. I suspect that the Christian association is why Dr. Harley is working with them in some form. He seems to prefer a more secular approach for his own center, although I have seen references to his wife working within a Christian group, which indicates they are a Christian couple.

Do go the separate route as Dr. Harley recommends. You avoid confessing each others sins that way. grin

Larry

Last edited by _Larry_; 04/06/10 05:55 PM.
_
_
hey Larry,

Now that I have the counseling thing out of the way, let me chime in with support for what marriedforever has to say about your comments.

I don't understand your comment, "for the right reasons."

If you are still searching for why he did it, I don't understand. Are you not in agreement with MB concepts on this? Have you read the concepts on why?

Also, the trust angle is also covered here. Have you read about that? What don't you understand?

Larry

J
OP Offline
J
married forever,
what I meant was which marriage counselor would work best for us...he has already agreed to the work ahead of us. He understands what damage he has caused and has suggested the help, he thinks we can't get through it ourselves and wants to get some great help so we can over come the trust issue now that face us.

BW 56
WH 57
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
J
OP Offline
J
hey Larry thanks for your response and help.
I guess I worded my statement the wrong way. I understand why it happened and what the two of us need to do now to make our marriage better and re-build the trust that we have damaged.....
I guess that's where faith and a great counselor will come into play, to give us the strength to not be afraid to trust and believe in each other again.......
I guess my fears just show through from time to time,

BW 56
WH 57
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
_
_
hey Larry thanks for your response and help.
I guess I worded my statement the wrong way. I understand why it happened and what the two of us need to do now to make our marriage better and re-build the trust that we have damaged.....
I guess that's where faith and a great counselor will come into play, to give us the strength to not be afraid to trust and believe in each other again.......
I guess my fears just show through from time to time,

Well, hmmmmm.....

See, Dr. Harley says don't trust. You have read that part, right?

I dunno if he says it or not, but the only trust I think is appropriate in a marriage is the trust you have for the way you feel and the trust you have for the REASONS you feel the way you feel. ???

Or that you trust your mate to be good with the kids, or whatever, not trust they won't screw up, because if you trust too much there, you give them room to do exactly that, screw up. This doesn't mean you get up in the night and check underwear stains. It means that you take precautions that neither of you has the opportunity to jump the boundaries.

Lemme share with you something. I didn't trust my wife. I knew she was vulnerable (aren't we all), so I only trusted her with one person, one person only, my closest living relative, the last of my family except for me, who I trusted with my life. sigh

Larry

Last edited by _Larry_; 04/06/10 07:23 PM.
M
M
Hi Jess! Hopefully this counselor understands that trust is NOT the issue but rather a lack of boundaries. You shouldn't trust your husband. It it too much trust that causes affairs. If people would trust LESS, there would be fewer affairs.

It is better to focus on establishing rational boundaries and setting up a lifestyle that makes it impossible [almost] to have an affair. For example, never spending the night apart again, having completely transparent lifestyles, avoiding all opposite sex friendships. This means avoiding risky behavior that leads to affairs.

*It is not a lack of trust that destroys marriages, but a lack of boundaries.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
thanks for the advice, my hubby is away on a boy's golf holiday for a couple of days, when he returns I will discuss that options with him, I have read all the Harley's stuff and I have tried to follow the suggestions and just also did what I thought would work, I think giving him the freedom to go and being his safe place to be was the key.

ok, I don't see anything here that indicates he is serious about recovery. What causes you to believe he is serious? Traveling apart is an invitation to an affair. Has he ended his affair by sending the OW a no contact letter? What is your recovery plan?

I would suggest you are probably headed for a false recovery in the absence of any kind of rational plan.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
hey Larry,

oh boy.. This is bad.

Exposure 101

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 457 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation