Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jkl345 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I've had 4 long-term PAs. I was found with my last 3 mths ago. I came clean re OW 3 weeks ago. This amounted to 19 yrs of lying to my DW. I feel terrible. My BS is having a terrible time calling her last 19 yrs with me wasted, tainted and lost. We have been together 30 yrs. I just don't know how to deal with her AO and LBs. I desperately want to rebuild our marriage. We've always had difficulties but now I know that the MB methods can make our marriage work and be happy as it never was. I know it was my fault and had I known what to do using the MB methods it would have been a good M. But that's no use now. What do I need to do to bring new trust, new love? I have NC with OW. I want to be a loyal H based on MB concepts. I know it's early days. But can I do anything to help my BS through her torment? We've seperated but remain in regular contact. But our contact is very strong talk from my DW. We love each other but my EN weren't fulfilled and hence the PAs with time lapses between as each ended. I feel no attachment to any OW. I just need help with helping my DW thru this terrible agony.

T
T
We love each other but my EN weren't fulfilled and hence the PAs

The above statement is false. Your wife meeting or not meeting your EN's is not an excuse for an affair. The affair is 100% YOUR responsibility, as was mine. The reason your W is having AO's and LB's is because she is devastated. It's time to look in the mirror, get humble, take responsibility, roll up your sleeves, and get to work. Read EVERYTHING here, not just the stuff you think your W should be doing. She owes you nothing right now. I would recommend buying Surviving an Affair as well.

S
S
Originally Posted by jkl345
I just don't know how to deal with her AO and LBs.
Do not make me laugh. You have NO RIGHT to misuse these terms to describe her justified outraged at the abuse you have put her through.

Is she "busting" your love with these angry outbursts? Is you love bank depleting? Is it her job now to stop that happening? She has left you; do you think she gives a toss about your love bank?

What do you intend to do to rebuild after the terrorist attack you committed on HER love bank, bombing it to smithereens?

But our contact is very strong talk from my DW. We love each other but my EN weren't fulfilled and hence the PAs with time lapses between as each ended. I feel no attachment to any OW. I just need help with helping my DW thru this terrible agony.
No. Bad. Submit your explanation again.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
I desperately want to rebuild our marriage.

What marriage?

Look, the only thing you can do is be a better person going forward and hope that she'll see the improvements and choose 2 stay married 2 you. But be prepared that she may not.

-ol' 2long

Steve Harley has said "People don't have affairs because of unmet needs. They have affairs because they don't protect their marriages from their own weaknesses."

-ol' 2long

M
M
We've seperated but remain in regular contact. But our contact is very strong talk from my DW. We love each other but my EN weren't fulfilled and hence the PAs with time lapses between as each ended. I feel no attachment to any OW. I just need help with helping my DW thru this terrible agony.

eek! She needs to run for her life if that is your attitude. If you are going to blame your affairs on her ["unmet needs"] then you are not safe. What will she do the next time your needs go unmet? Who would sign on for that punishment?? Does this mean she is entitled to have an affair if her needs are unmet?

Your post is not very reassuring and it reflects the attitude of someone who is not safe. 19 years of lies and adultery is not something most would want to try to overcome. If you want to have a chance, I would rethink this "unmet needs" angle and start taking some accountability.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
jkl345 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
When we had good times they were very happy, very compatible... but inevitably the bad times got longer with terrible LB on both sides. Obviously during the years of deceipt there was little chance. Now things are suddenly different since finding Harley's MBs. She agrees with them and wants to work with them; but just can't, and I understand why. But how can I help slow her rampant imagination? How can I make things better? Desperate...

T
T
I can usually tell when someone has taken responsibility for a wrong choice. They just say, I am truly sorry. What I did was wrong, and there is no excuse. When people start giving a whole bunch of "background information" then my radar goes off.

M
M
Your first post doesn't sound genuine or remorseful. It sounds like you just learned a bunch of the acronyms and decided to throw them around to sound like you did a lot of reading.

I hope you do read everything and that once you really "get it," the great people here help you out.

Me 31
Him 26
Married 11/30/04

DD11
DD8
DS3

In a big ol mess...
J
jkl345 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have full awareness that my ENs weren't met but also that I had no right to have PAs. I plead guilty every day. I wish I'd known about methods such as MB but I didn't and thought my EN would be fulfilled with PAs but they woren't; it was an escape. I don't want condemnation from you guys. I need constructive advice please.

T
T
The reason people are being so blunt is because the first real step is to see the horror of what you did with no qualifications. It is impossible to truly, sincerely do the work you need to do until you feel the full force of what you chose to do. I would suggest dropping the issue of your EN's and focusing on the choice you made, how it was without excuse, and what you can do to make sure it never happens again regardless of what your wife does or doesn't do. I am speaking as a FWW. I have walked the wayward path. Nothing about my mind and heart and actions really changed until I faced what I did head on.

L
L
My H was a long-time serial cheater. He managed to justify his cheating by treating me like crap, which led to my not wanting to meet his ENs. Naturally, he was not meeting my ENs, either. Actually, I was meeting far more of his than he met of mine.

However, I did not cheat. He did.

The reason you cheated was because you have lousy boundaries.

Did you ever sit down and LOVINGLY tell your wife that you needed certain ENs met? Think a minute before you respond. There were times when my husband told me that he needed me to meet certain ENs. His delivery was the problem...in the form of angry outbursts and selfish demands, to which I reacted in anger and which caused me to not WANT to meet his ENs.

You had lousy boundaries, and you cheated because you thought you could get away with it. The YEARS of lying, as in my marriage, are likely what has done the most damage. Right now, your wife has no idea whether or not she could EVER trust you...and she should never completely trust you again.

Stop blaming your wife for your lack of boundaries and your resulting affairs.

That said, you need to have a humble heart.

Forget about having your ENs met for now. Find out what your wife's ENs are and start meeting them.

Be completely open and honest with your wife. Your life should be an open book from here on out.

Give her all your passwords and do not delete anything from your phone. Let her see EVERYTHING!

Account for every minute of your time.

If you work with any of the OW, you need to find another job ASAP.

Write each and every one of the OW a NC letter, give them to your wife for her approval, and let HER mail them.

Look for tst's posts, and pay very close attention to what he says and DO IT. He is a FWH who has recovered his marriage.

"Your actions are so loud that I can't hear a word you're saying!"

BW M 44 yrs to still-foggy but now-faithful WH. What/how I post=my biz. Report any perceived violations to the Mods.
S
S
I have full awareness that my ENs weren't met
Could you tell us which ENs were not being met, please?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
G
G
JK,

But how can I help slow her rampant imagination?

How about being COMPLETELY HONEST with her, "rampant imagination" NO she likely senses your are not being absolutely open.

When you find out that your spouse had cheated the whole world seems filled with people who knew and never said anything to you btw, and the longer the affair is undiscovered the larger the patsy the betrayed spouse feels.

Gamma

J
J
You have had 4 long term PA's and have been lying to your BW for 19 years and you think that after 3 weeks she should be okay?

I'm sorry but if you really want to save your M, then you need to be willing to deal with the deep pain you have caused and the time it will take for her to process the deception, betrayal and life-altering pain you have caused her.

That's going to take longer than 3 weeks.

I would suggest that you get the book "Torn Asunder" by Dave Carder. He is a pastor who also specializes in helping M recover from infidelity. There are some chapters in there that will help you understand what your BW is going through.

johnstwin-

"I may not know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future." -Martin Luther

Remarried my FXH 25 years to the day of our first M. God is so good-and sometimes so unexpected!

D
D
Please listen. These people are right. My WH wasn't meeting my ENs, either. I was better to him than he was to me, yet he still is the one who cheated.

He cheated because he had bad boundaries. He cheated because he felt entitled - he was angry at me. He cheated because he gave himself permission to call our marriage over and not tell me.

If you were focused on meeting your wifes ENs, and doing a good job at that, I betcha she would have tried to meet yours. I bet if you had put the energy into the marriage and not affairs, it would have been a much better marriage.

Just sayin.

Me: BW, 46
Him: WH, 48
EA/PA with co-worker 8-08 to 7-09
D-day 7-29
NC 8-17
OW and WH both fired from jobs
OW lost court case for restraining order- judge called her a "practiced deciever" who manufactured evidence!!
J
jkl345 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for being frank. Much of what you say I should do I have done. Things are moving forward. And you're right three weeks is no time at all to process all this. Thanks also for your advice. I have owned up to weak character, weak boundaries. Regrettably I knew nothing of how to improve our M that was very rocky. Now we both do and have acknowledged to each other our failings. We wrote a letter to OW and there's been NC since. The others were over 10 years ago and there's been NC at all. I express sorrow often. I let her know where I am and what I'm doing often. When we meet I do my best to absorb all my wife's waterfall of anger and criticism and to answer honestly all her questions. It is this I feel hard to work through. It is so negative. I know it is pain and reactive sorrow. Do I just allow it or should I try to divert it to a more positive outlook eg a happier future of honesty and fulfillment of all of each others ENs? What should I do for her to make her know I've changed and wont cheat again?

M
M
How can I make things better? Desperate...

If you are serious and really want to do the right thing then sign everything you own over to her and disappear....forever.

M
M
Just keep being brutally honest. Continually. Let her vent and be her soft place to land even if you're not feeling very soft. Let her know where you are and what you are doing, always and give her full access to all emails, computer, cell phone(s), any accounts, vehicle, etc.

Good luck.

Me 31
Him 26
Married 11/30/04

DD11
DD8
DS3

In a big ol mess...
M
M
I wish I'd known about methods such as MB but I didn't and thought my EN would be fulfilled with PAs but they woren't; it was an escape. I don't want condemnation from you guys. I need constructive advice please.

We ARE giving you constructive advice. You need to man up and stop blaming your wife for your adultery. Otherwise, she needs to kick you to the curb because you are not safe. You weren't filling her EN's either when you rolling around in the pig pen, but she didn't have an affair.

I realize you have been wayward for a long time and might not get this, but you had BETTER GET IT if you want to be taken seriously. Stop blaming HER for your affairs. That is the first step.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation