Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 86 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 85 86
M
M
Originally Posted by higgs4
I don't know. I'll ask him if he would be willing to commit to that. He makes it like I'll be lucky if he decides to work with me.....like he has to think about whether he wants to make it work or not.

higgs, he needs to understand that you have boundaries and are not willing to live like this. He is not in a position to negotiate the recovery of this marriage, so it will be up to you set the standards. You can't allow yourself to be at the mercy of a wayward.

And if he wants to insist he had no affair, would be willing to clear his name with a polygraph?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
He makes it like I'll be lucky if he decides to work with me.....like he has to think about whether he wants to make it work or not.

He thinks this because you are allowing him to think this. He is not working with you at all, he is abusing you. And expects you to take it.

Lay out the plan to him and say you don't believe the marriage "has much hope" unless he commits to the plan. and the truth is that it has NO HOPE until he does. as long as he refuses to commit to the marriage, you will just endure more of the same abuse.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
higgs, I have been where you are now. After exposure, H was emotionally abusive to me for days. He would taunt me and make mean and hurtful comments. He refused to admit to the A, and was still secretive. So I did what MelodyLane is suggesting that you do. I started telling him that he needed to make plans to move out over the weekend, and that I expected him gone by Sunday. I even suggested a friend he could stay with. I told him it hurt me to see him.

I didn't know back then, but now I know that he was still in contact with OW during that time.

When he still wouldn't admit to the A, I told him that if he wanted to stay, that I wanted him to take a polygraph. He then taunted me by saying he would pass, and he tried to get out of it by saying he refused to pay for it, and so on, excuses, excuses. I told him I would pay for it with my money, no problem. He insisted he would pass. I told him if he passed, I would apologize to him and to everyone else. But that if he didn't pass, then I would have proof he had an A. I cannot tell you the antics this man came up with to get out of it. I stood my ground though, I set it up for him, and told him the date and time he was to be there. He texted me all day for three days about this polygraph. He finally confessed everything the day before he was due to take the polygraph.

You have to be strong now, like I was. He is looking for anything and everything to throw you off track, so that you'll allow him to continue his A. Don't let him sway you. Don't pay attention to his fogbabble!

A side note - I don't know if this would be recommended for you to say to WH, but this is what I said to my H after yet another one of his mean and hurtful comments: "what you are doing to me is called emotional abuse, and you need to stop it. I will not take it anymore." This seemed to jolt him out of his fog a bit - he certainly looked very surprised, and he did stop, most of it anyway.

Me, BS, 35 - H, FWS, 38
Married 15 years, 4.5 years into Recovery
EA/PA 7/09-9/09
DDay 9/5/09, started Plan A
Exposed 9/13/09, started preparing for Plan B
H finally confessed and agreed to NC 9/27/09, never went to Plan B
Still a MB rookie, but striving to learn more and put it into practice every day... w/ FWH along for the ride
H
OP Offline
H
I think I can do it, but it will be hard and I'm scared of the outcome....I know he will not agree to any of it.

BS: 41
WS: 52
Marriage 20 years on 6/9/10
Dday on 4/27/10
Husband moved out 5/12/10
Plan B....5/21/10
DD 15
DS 11
DS 10
DS 7
M
M
Holy crap, movingforward, it just occurred to me how very much your H is like hers!! He is doing and saying all these things to her, hoping to bully her into silence.

I spoke to her on the phone and we went over some talking points tonight. Hopefully she is having this discussion now. Thanks so much for weighing in with your experience, MF, she could really use feedback from someone like you! smile

Exposure 101

M
M
I think I can do it, but it will be hard and I'm scared of the outcome....I know he will not agree to any of it.

He may not!! But guess what?? That is exactly what movingforward said too! laugh

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
He's still not home.

Dday on 4/27/10
Plan B....5/21/10
DD 15
DS 11
DS 10
DS 7
M
M
He's still not home.

He is playing a head game.

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Is this just another excuse to see OW? Will this counselor really direct him the right way...or tell him to leave me? I don't know what to think.

There is no telling what the counselor will tell him. But I can tell you that he is probably still in contact. I would start working on getting your Plan B in order, higgs.

When he comes home have a serious discussion with him. Let him know that you would be willing to give this a try under certain conditions:

1. he ends his affair with the OW, sending her a NC letter pledging no contact for life

2.opens up his life to you so you can be assured he is still not having an affair

3. commits to the recovery plan as outlined in Marriage Buildrs

Tell him you would be willing to forgive him for his adultery if would commit to those things. If not, then you want to separate because his behavior is too upsetting and emotionally traumatic for you. Ask him to move out this weekend.

He seems to be under the impression that it is ok to stay and abuse you and you will do nothing about it. If he won't move out, I would just tell him that you cannot live like this much and will be forced to take action.

To add to this, when he insists he did not have an affair tell him you would be willing to set up a polygraph test to let him clear his name.

When he responds with something like $%$#%)$#%)$%$ I am innocent!! How can you not trust my word after 20 years??????

Look at him with pity and respond: "that is not convincing."

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
Oh wow....the fireworks. I got on the phone and asked him to commit to a couple of things or we would have to seperate. He then said ok, that he had already decided that after the demeaning sh*t I caused.

All of the sudden, he texted me and said, "I love you, with all that is in me! When he came in though, it was pure rage!!! I've never heard the "F" word used so many times in my life. He said that, "that's what I deserve after giving you 20 years of my life?" He compared me to his mother who told him, "I wish you were never born."

This is my fear. My husband was terribly abused as a child and I'm worried that this is going to push him to the brink. I did reassure him that I loved him, and then he called me a snake in the grass. How can he love me and think all these hateful thoughts?

He was screaming and yelling and crying all at once. I've never seen him so mad. He went crazy when he saw the suitcases.

Dday on 4/27/10
Plan B....5/21/10
DD 15
DS 11
DS 10
DS 7
M
M
All of the sudden, he texted me and said, "I love you, with all that is in me! When he came in though, it was pure rage!!! I've never heard the "F" word used so many times in my life. He said that, "that's what I deserve after giving you 20 years of my life?" He compared me to his mother who told him, "I wish you were never born."

MrRollieEyes Do not REACT to this, higgs. Keep in mind that his goal is to TERRORIZE you into silence and stop you from protecting yourself. Stick to your plan and do not allow yourself to get scared off your path.

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
He said that he has always apologized to me over the year even when he knew he was right because I always threw divorce in his face...this is true. He said that he would make amends with me so that we could keep our family together, but he never meant it.

This is so hard for me. He said, that why should he accept so much suffering for "thinking about having an affair" when I have made him suffer for the last 18 years.

Dday on 4/27/10
Plan B....5/21/10
DD 15
DS 11
DS 10
DS 7
K
K
Bully suit on in spades, I see.

Were you able to stand your ground and stay calm and loving in your words?

Have you ever seen a 16 year old throw a tantrum? Yelling, profane, stiff body stomping up and down? If you can picture his tirade in that context, you can stay calm and on point.

My little brother did that - I laughed and laughed when he did it because he was 6 feet tall - amazing to see a grown child tantrum!

M
M
He said that he has always apologized to me over the year even when he knew he was right because I always threw divorce in his face...this is true. He said that he would make amends with me so that we could keep our family together, but he never meant it.

This is so hard for me. He said, that why should he accept so much suffering for "thinking about having an affair" when I have made him suffer for the last 18 years.

crybaby

Exposure 101

M
M
Don't let him manipulate you, higgs!!

Tell him you will give him an opportunity to recover your marriage if he follows the outline and agrees to take a polygraph. That is the only way this will work. Otherwise, you will need to separate. It is his choice.

*I can't live like this anymore. I need you to go.*

*I will give you an opportunity to clear your name by taking a polygraph.*

*I would be willing to forgive you and work on this marriage if you will commit to these things........*

*otherwise, this is hopeless and it is best to separate.*

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
I did stay calm and I continued to reassure him that I loved him, but he had to commit to working on our marriage and stop leaving everyday. I needed him to send a letter to OW. He still hasn't agreed....just a lot of screaming. yes, it was like looking at a 6'2" giant kid. I almost laughed a couple of times because I have never seen him so angry.

I never cried or yelled; I had a hard time getting a word in edgewise. Will he ever forgive me for this? He just keeps repeating the same things over and over.

Dday on 4/27/10
Plan B....5/21/10
DD 15
DS 11
DS 10
DS 7
M
M
I never cried or yelled; I had a hard time getting a word in edgewise. Will he ever forgive me for this? He just keeps repeating the same things over and over.

forgive you for what? Did you have an affair? crazy

Go back and read the talking points in my last post and repeat them over and over again to him. STAND YOUR GROUND.

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
He's asleep in there now after his tantrum. I, however, will be up for hours in complete replay.

Dday on 4/27/10
Plan B....5/21/10
DD 15
DS 11
DS 10
DS 7
M
M
I did stay calm and I continued to reassure him that I loved him, but he had to commit to working on our marriage and stop leaving everyday. I needed him to send a letter to OW. He still hasn't agreed....

You are doing great!! just stand firm. And remember that the wayward does not get to negotiate the terms of your recovery. He either agrees or he is out. Your boundaries are non-negotiable.

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
He just wants to keep bringing up all the love busters that I have done over the years.

Dday on 4/27/10
Plan B....5/21/10
DD 15
DS 11
DS 10
DS 7
Page 20 of 86 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 490 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation