Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
Yet another adulterous hypocrite.
It was just a mistake.
Circumstances made him do it.
He�s already hiding behind God.
Of course.

I can�t decide which I hate more in this case.
The adultery or the hypocrisy.
Oh, wait.
It�s the adultery.
Of course.

Hypocrisy is just one more evil adulterers roll in.

Citing Affair, Congressman Souder Resigns
May 18, 2010, 10:13 am
By CARL HULSE
NYT

Updated: Representative Mark Souder, a conservative Indiana Republican, said Tuesday that he was resigning as of Friday after having an extramarital affair with a staff member in his district office, as events continued to roil the midterm election landscape.

�I sinned against God, my wife and my family by having a mutual relationship with a part-time member of my staff,� Mr. Souder said in a statement. �In the poisonous environment of Washington, D.C., any personal failing is seized upon, often twisted, for political gain. I am resigning rather than to put my family through that painful, drawn-out process.�

The resignation of Mr. Souder, who was first elected in the Republican revolution of 1994, came just weeks after a New York Democrat, Eric Massa, chose to resign rather than face an ethics inquiry after disclosures of improper conduct with male staffers.

Mr. Souder, 59, is an evangelical Christian who frustrated Republican leaders when the party controlled the House by sometimes breaking from the party line on spending and other issues. He survived a tough primary this month and was set to face Tom Hayhurst, a retired physician who lost to Mr. Souder in 2006.

The Fort Wayne-based district is not considered particularly good territory for Democrats, and Republican leaders in the state will be allowed to choose a candidate for the November ballot. It was unclear whether Mr. Souder�s resignation would result in a special election or whether the seat would remain empty until after the November elections.

Republican officials said aides to Mr. Souder first spoke with party leadership staff members on Sunday, and that Representative John A. Boehner of Ohio, the Republican leader, spoke with Mr. Souder on Monday.

Mr. Souder was unlikely to find much support from the leadership, which is focused on trying to recapture the House in November and has taken action against other members who have been accused of misconduct.

�Mr. Boehner has been perfectly clear that he will hold our members to the highest ethical standards,� said Kevin Smith, a spokesman for Mr. Boehner.

In his statement, Mr. Souder said he was �focused upon repairing my marriage, earning back the trust of my family and my community, and renewing my walk with my lord.� He also said he wished he could have set a better example.

Below is the congressman�s full statement:

It is with great regret I announce that I am resigning from the U.S. House of Representatives, as well as resigning as the Republican nominee for Congress in this fall�s election.
I believe it is the best decision for my family, the people of northeast Indiana, and our country.

I will submit my resignation to Speaker Pelosi effective this Friday.

I can never fully thank all those who have worked so hard, given so much and supported me through eight contested primaries and eight general elections.

Only when you have been the recipient can you really feel the humbling power of such generosity. It has been a privilege to be a part of the battle for freedom and the values we share. It has been a great honor to fight for the needs, the jobs, and the future of this region where my family has lived for over 160 years.

It has been all consuming for me to do this job well, especially in a district with costly, competitive elections every two years.

I do not have any sort of �normal� life � for family, for friends, for church, for community. To serve has been a blessing and a responsibility given from God. I wish I could have been a better example.

I sinned against God, my wife and my family by having a mutual relationship with a part-time member of my staff. In the poisonous environment of Washington D.C., any personal failing is seized upon, often twisted, for political gain.
I am resigning rather than to put my family through that painful, drawn-out process.

Diane and my family were more than willing to stand here with me.

We are a committed family. But the error is mine and I should bear the responsibility.

Not only am I thankful for a loving family but for a loving God.

My comfort is that God is a gracious and forgiving God to those who sincerely seek his forgiveness as I do. But I am so ashamed to have hurt those I love. I am so sorry to have let so many friends down, people who have fought so hard for me.
The ideas we advocate are still just and right. America will survive and thrive when anchored in those values. Human beings, like me, will fail, but our cause is greater than individuals.

It is based upon eternal truths. By stepping aside, my mistake cannot be used as a political football in a partisan attempt to undermine the cause for which I have labored all my adult life.

I love this area. This is my home. It has been such an honor to serve you. For 16 years, my family and I have given our all for this area. The toll has been high.

As I leave public office, my plans are focused upon repairing my marriage, earning back the trust of my family and my community, and renewing my walk with my lord.

I humbly ask you, for the sake of my family, that you respect our privacy in this difficult time.

I have no further comments.

"Never forget that your pain means nothing to a WS." ~Mulan

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

WS: They are who they are.

When an eel lunges out
And it bites off your snout
Thats a moray ~DS
M
M
Good. Maybe the tide is turning somewhat. It used to be that nobody cared about this stuff, or *thought* they shouldn't care. Maybe "regular" people are realizing that they aren't the only ones to suffer through adultery and that maybe if it's not okay for the Big Shots, it's not okay for the rest of us, either.

Me, BW
WH cheated in corporate workplace for many years. He moved out and filed in summer 2008.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation