Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by HerPapaBear
[As an alcoholic, her first and #1 boundary is to eliminate resentments. Even Mel acknowledges her resentments are affecting her.

This is about the worst resentment I have had in my life, tst. It scares me to death. I am shocked at the depth of my emotions, so you are exactly right. I learned to handle resentments in my first year and here I am bowled over by this bad boy.

I think the reason why is because now I do not have the luxury of SHOCK. Now, I CLEARLY see the OW's smirking face over my H's shoulder standing in front of my son's coffin. I see that clearly.

I will tell you who I am really the most angry at. ME

I have always been able to count on myself to defend myself in times of trouble and I was not able to do it then. I can't even explain it, except to say that when the shock slowly wore off, I was quite amazed that I tolerated that cruelty.

I really do want to get over this resentment and I know I won't do that by going to the wedding. That will make things worse. It is simply beyond my endurance at this time.

Dr Harley even notes that sometimes the resentment is too great to overcome and in that case, it is best to remove yourself. That is what I have tried to do in this case.

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
In fact, when a couple goes through a recovery after an affair, and then experience another affair, the resentment is often more intense and more persistent after the second recovery. With multiple affairs and recoveries, resentment is almost impossible to overcome. But then, in those cases I usually feel that the emotional reaction of resentment is not irrational at all. Emotions are telling the person that it's not a good idea to continue the relationship, and I would agree.

I realize the situation is different, but the point is that in cases where the resentment is too great it is best to removed oneself from the situation. In this case it would be the wedding.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by stillstanding2
It makes me sad that your son is choosing OW over his own mother out of a need to do "what he wants". I think that your son will be very angry that you are not willing to "suck it up" and be "nice" for him. It is not a fair request. I am sorry.

Thanks for you kind words, SS. i agree it is not a fair request. I am reminded, though, that his attitude was shaped by 2 liars and cheaters when he lived with them for 4 years. I am ashamed my son has this attitude but he came by it honestly. He is so clear headed when it comes to everything else.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Mulan
I think this is a very simple case of running into something that is just too painful to endure, and so the only thing a person can do is protect themselves from it.

This is exaclty true. But tst is correct that I need to manage this down. That doesn't mean I should go to the wedding. I am sorry to say that my feelings are well beyond my ability to do that.

I don't have the benefit of shock anymore and I don't trust myself to not wipe that smirk right off her face.

Exposure 101

N
N
Originally Posted by not2fun
I don't want to have regrets, but I am sitting here with a TEN YEAR LONG RESENTMENT because I allowed myself to be disrespected 10 years ago.

Okay Mel,

I have to tell ya, when I first read this last night, my heart went out to you. It really, really did.

First off you didn't ALLOW anything back then. You KNOW this to be true. You were in a state of shock, traumatized, and just plain spent. I say this NOT really knowing YOU, but knowing how I and every other woman in the world would react to losing their child. I can't imagine. So, don't say you ALLOWED her to anything. SHE took advantage of the situation. She WILL get hers one day.....

The way you tell this Mel....its like the rape victim who has just been beaten and raped and left for dead in the back ally and the victim get upset at himself for not doing more when their attacker came back and raped them AGAIN......

I am so very very sorry....but you didn't allow her crap....you were not in a state of mind for that....I know you to be a pretty outspoken and strong woman (at least on here.... grin), but even the STRONGEST woman has moments of searing, crippling pain....

{{{{{Mel}}}}}

Not

ps...that statement is some pretty stinkin' thinkin' Mel....

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks not2fun, I know you are right. I still find it frustrating that I couldnt' defend myself. The resentment I have over that is what scares me the most about being in the same room with her again.

Exposure 101

S
S
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

I have always been able to count on myself to defend myself in times of trouble and I was not able to do it then. I can't even explain it, except to say that when the shock slowly wore off, I was quite amazed that I tolerated that cruelty.

Boy, can we all relate to that feeling? I know that I can when I look back at the last couple of years.

I am sorry that something that should be a happy celebration is dredging up such a horribly painful time in both your son's and your life. I am sure that it hurts you deeply that you son won't empathize with you. My stepfather was a serial cheater (married to my mom 29 years, 3 OCs and 13 OWs - all hidden). He was very strict with us. Once I realized and accepted that he was a complete hypocrite, I could no longer have a relationship with him. Maybe your son is not ready to face the truth and deal with it. Maybe he won't get "it" until something like that happens to him.

In the meantime, you have two choices. Suck it up and go to the wedding and probably hate every minute or stay home and miss your son's wedding. Neither are ideal or easy. Both suck! Your resentment came honestly. I agree that the resentment is your warning flag that this is not a good situation for you.

Ugh!

Over it.
S
S
Personal boundaries aren't just about keeping a marriage respectful and productive. They are life boundaries. The only way to get over the pain of the adultery that ends in divorce is NC. Your son is trying to force you to break NC with your ex and the OW. This is your boundary to protect. Your son just has to respect your boundaries. He doesn't have to understand them or agree to them.

Last edited by stillstanding2; 07/11/10 06:22 PM. Reason: clarity

Over it.
H
H
This is about the worst resentment I have had in my life, tst. It scares me to death. I am shocked at the depth of my emotions, so you are exactly right. I learned to handle resentments in my first year and here I am bowled over by this bad boy.

I think the reason why is because now I do not have the luxury of SHOCK. Now, I CLEARLY see the OW's smirking face over my H's shoulder standing in front of my son's coffin. I see that clearly.

I think one of the first things you might need to do is let yourself off the hook completely for what you tolerated during your sons funeral. Give yourself a free pass on that one, OK!

Mel, you have every right in the world to defend and protect yourself. I believe the difficult part for most people, and even worse for recovering alcoholics, is unlearning our ability to defend and protect our resentments. I hope that in the near future you'll be able to put the pen to paper and wor through this process the same way you've taught so many others to work through it. You and I both know that learning to let go of a resentment is not the same thing as forgiving someone or allowing them access to your life.

I always hate the cliche of "let go and let God". But I think I hate it so much because it's just so obvious...and oh so hard.

I want to make sure that you know how deeply saddened this current event makes me. You and your son are in my prayers.

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
B
B
Originally Posted by Mulan
I think this is a very simple case of running into something that is just too painful to endure, ....

Everybody has their limit and Melody has found hers.

Mulan boils it down into a few, concise words...

Me; W 46
Him; H 46

2 girls
DD19
DD16
Dated/Married total 28 years.
..I am learning and working on myself.
M
M
I am so sorry Mel. What a horrible position. I understand how unbearable it would be seeing the OW there but, on the other hand, why should she get to be at your sons wedding and you miss out? Why allow her to rob you of another important memory? Just a thought..........

Plan D June 08
Me FBS 36
W 38
Married 13/1/09
The best is yet to come, with or without your WS
J
J
I think it is a matter of perspective.

My daughter will be getting married soon and there is nothing

in the world that would stop me going. She is way too important

to me and the most important day of her life can not be

missed.

What is this OW? She is no more than a second hand Rose wearing

an old moth eaten shirt that you didn't want. I can still see

the mould on it from sitting in the wardrobe too long.

If she comes to your sons wedding she be no more than a baggage

lady with shopping trolley. that frequents weddings and funerals

to get a free feed.

Can such a creature be of concern? I think not.

The creature maybe unsightly but I think more to be pitied than

anything else.

Last edited by Jackblack; 07/11/10 10:10 PM.
N
N
Thanks not2fun, I know you are right.
faint.....I reserve the right to use this at any time in the future I deem necessary..... grin
I still find it frustrating that I couldnt' defend myself.

{{{Mel}}}}}

I know.....I will pray that you find the peace you need to arrest this....

O
O
I think the issue of resentment does nothing more than cloud the waters (and conveniently so for waywards or those indoctrinated in the ways of the wayward mind).

If it were possible to look at the situation in the total absence of the memory of OW imposing herself at the funeral, would you plan to be at your son's wedding where OW was to be present?

The Principle of an adulterous, selfish, unrepentant, self-righteous, liar standing up and giving "blessing" to two people who are making a promise before God which she has not a shred of respect for is something you can either witness quietly or not. But being present is tacitly approving of the situation.

What does the wedding mean to your son? What does marriage mean to your son? I bet they mean different things for you than they do for him.

...Talk about the ultimate test of one's Principles...

~optimism

Me: 43 y.o. BFWH, D-day 11/11/09 (NC since 9/01)
Divorce from WW final 9/16/10.
Current Status: MB-based Marriage to Nature Girl 12/8/12 (first date on 12/11/10)
Mine: S(16), D(11)
NatureGirls: S(23), D(21)
Another EA Story
K
K
Mel - I don't think after today that this is about OW anymore.

This is about your son who still hasn't outgrown that "get back at Mom for setting limits" behavior of his teenage years.

I think there is probably more heartbreak for you about how your son is acting about this, than it is about OW.

OW is a cheap piece of furniture by this point, but your son is a part of you that she's contaminated and that contamination hurts you beyond belief. That he'd prize that piece of furniture at his wedding more than having you there speaks volume to the work he has to do to be ready for a marriage vow.

I think until that contamination is cleaned up he's not good marriage material.

You and his future MIL have a lot of work to do in order to purge this future marriage of all that is bad in this young couple's world.

H
H
Mel,
we differ in our opinions but my heart goes out to you.

Sometimes we cannot "turn the other cheek" because it will destroy us.

I love my girls with all of my heart and soul but I have told both of them that in future celebrations including their own weddings that if XH planned on bringing PP I will not attend.

My boundary is never to have her at a family event unless it is her funeral or if she is being served with an apple in her mouth for a BBQ.

This is not about hurting your son but saving his day because if you lose it at the wedding then it will be turned back on you against all of your own values trying to please him

Me 55, XWH 53, M 22 years
D17, D30
alien replaces my husband "I'm not happy" -7/08
Discover OW-8/08 (his direct report and I work there also)
H moves out 10/1/08, confront Ow 10/28/08
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

Quote: "First thing you do is pray; when there is nothing else to do, continue to pray."
D
D
Well, Mel.

How are you doing today?

How far that little candle throws its beams! So shines a good dead in a naughty world.

W; 44
H; 45
DD; 17
DS; 12
M
M
(((((((((Mel)))))))))

I think Mulan had it right when she said strength sometimes can be something of a curse, b/c folks expect you to put up w/ anything because you're strong.

He's not asking his father to suck it up and keep his ho away. He's asking the strongest person to suffer.

I'm so very very sorry. Many prayers are going out for you.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by optimism
What does the wedding mean to your son? What does marriage mean to your son? I bet they mean different things for you than they do for him.

I agree with this assessment. My concern for him is that he has bought into the spin that adultery is a solution to a bad marriage. That should scare the heck out of his GF, but I don't think she sees it.

I think there is probably more heartbreak for you about how your son is acting about this, than it is about OW.

OW is a cheap piece of furniture by this point, but your son is a part of you that she's contaminated and that contamination hurts you beyond belief. That he'd prize that piece of furniture at his wedding more than having you there speaks volume to the work he has to do to be ready for a marriage vow.

I think until that contamination is cleaned up he's not good marriage material.

I was shocked when my sister told me what he said. That is something I have never heard from him. Part of the problem, IMO, is that he has not rethought his teenage mindset and still carries it to a great degree. I am sure the infidels played up how "mean" I was when he was a teenager and I took his car keys away and nailed his window shut. He still has that childish outlook!

Originally Posted by hope
My boundary is never to have her at a family event unless it is her funeral or if she is being served with an apple in her mouth for a BBQ.

rotflmao

Originally Posted by hope
This is not about hurting your son but saving his day because if you lose it at the wedding then it will be turned back on you against all of your own values trying to please him

I would almost rather cut my wrists than hurt my son. There is almost anything I would do for him. But being a party to the charade of honoring the OW as a honored guest is beyond my ability.

Thanks Marshmallow. Doc, I am going to have a great day because I am on vacation with my cute husband this week and we are going to the zoo! Thanks for asking. smile

Exposure 101

M
M
Melody, just a thought ... don't forget that you have an account in your son's Love Bank. I know you fear for his future, and I know you worry about how his past affects him and his values, and I know you want to have influence over him. To do that, you are going to have to keep that balance high, and to do that, you're going to be stuck having to refrain from a potential Disrespectful Judgment.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Originally Posted by Mark1952
Everything might be bigger in Texas, but God is bigger still...

I was once a very small boy in Texas with a wayward mother intentionally exposing me to the influence of a despicable man, with literally nobody present to cling to but God.

He saved me.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 272 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation