Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
No, this is all about disrespecting me and his marriage.

No. This day is all about your son and his wife.

MB, you are really aren't doing anything other than irritating me here.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
MelodyLane, I told you I would call you on it as need be. I suspect that THIS sitch is MORE about you correcting the WRONG you feel you did at your son's funeral. GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK. You were dealing with A LOT at that time and you were just in survival mode. History re-write isn't just for a WS. You did what you had to to get through it at the time. Looking back now, you could see where you COULD have done something differently. You can't change the past. Don't make THIS about THAT. If you don't want to attend the wedding because of OW and what MAY happen there, then so be it. But if you are not going to attend because of what happened at your son's funeral, it won't fix it. You still didn't do anything THAT day(although I am NOT beating you for THAT, you couldn't), and ANYTHING you do today WON'T change that.

Just make sure that if you don't attend it is for THIS event and NOT for the past. Only YOU will know which it is.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
M
M
Would it not be worse to go, and have a HORRIBLE BLOW-UP and the police get called? Not that that WOULD happen, but it most definitely COULD happen. And where do we draw the line? It is honestly a DAY in someone's life. The MARRIAGE is the important part, NOT the wedding. It is a celebration. I couldn't celebrate with OW.

Whoa - now the cops are being called?? Hey, I agree - if it's a matter of being unable to let the newlyweds have their day without fisticuffs behind the party center, I'd stay away. Other than that - no. I'm there.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M
Just as sitting silent was when she attended my son's funeral. There wasn't a damn thing "loud and proud" about that. In fact, my endorsement 10 years ago has led to this situation.

And you didn't stay away from the celebration of your son's life, did you. So now you're sorry you attended your son's funeral if it was an endorsement? Do you hear what you're saying? think

D-Day 2-10-2009

M
OP Offline
M
Just as sitting silent was when she attended my son's funeral. There wasn't a damn thing "loud and proud" about that. In fact, my endorsement 10 years ago has led to this situation.

And you didn't stay away from the celebration of your son's life, did you. So now you're sorry you attended your son's funeral if it was an endorsement? Do you hear what you're saying? think

Do you hear how ******* your comment is, MB? How about posting somewhere else. Thanks..

Last edited by JustUss; 07/13/10 10:27 AM. Reason: tos

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

I'm out. Sorry I bothered you.

D-Day 2-10-2009

S
S
Would it not be worse to go, and have a HORRIBLE BLOW-UP and the police get called? Not that that WOULD happen, but it most definitely COULD happen. And where do we draw the line? It is honestly a DAY in someone's life. The MARRIAGE is the important part, NOT the wedding. It is a celebration. I couldn't celebrate with OW.

Whoa - now the cops are being called?? Hey, I agree - if it's a matter of being unable to let the newlyweds have their day without fisticuffs behind the party center, I'd stay away. Other than that - no. I'm there.

There is a lot of alcohol at a wedding and routinely a lot of alcoholics. A recipe for disaster. Add in a sprinkle of entitled wayturd and his ho-bag and you have a VOLCANO waiting to explode. Happens A LOT. Just as I believe that affairs are possible in ALL. A breaking point where police would need to be called are also ALWAYS possible.

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Scotland
[

There is a lot of alcohol at a wedding and routinely a lot of alcoholics. A recipe for disaster. Add in a sprinkle of entitled wayturd and his ho-bag and you have a VOLCANO waiting to explode. Happens A LOT. Just as I believe that affairs are possible in ALL. A breaking point where police would need to be called are also ALWAYS possible.

Not to mention the fact that we are IRISH and TEXAN. Not a good mix. Either way, I likely won't be going. My relatives - mother and sisters - are not going to be there if the OW is there. My sister said "we watched him disrespect my sister before and we won't watch it again."

Exposure 101

L
L
MB, Mel wasn't ABLE to do anything about the OW being at her son's funeral because she was in such deep grief and shock.

What SHOULD have happened is that SOMEBODY ELSE should have recognized the awfulness of the OW being there and quietly asked the funeral director to have the OW leave the premises. That didn't happen; and, as a result, as Mel began to deal with her grief, I think that the memories of the OW came flooding in.

A lot of things can happen when someone is in the throes of grief and unable to focus on those things or do anything to correct them, but the mind records them...and later recalls them in living color. It's a very painful thing to endure.

Last edited by Lady_Clueless; 07/12/10 10:16 PM.

"Your actions are so loud that I can't hear a word you're saying!"

BW M 44 yrs to still-foggy but now-faithful WH. What/how I post=my biz. Report any perceived violations to the Mods.
S
S
Originally Posted by Lady_Clueless
MB, Mel wasn't ABLE to do anything about the OW being at her son's funeral because she was in such deep grief and shock.

What SHOULD have happened is that SOMEBODY ELSE should have recognized the awfulness of the OW being there and quietly asked the funeral director to have the OW leave the premises.

BUT it DIDN'T happen. Now, the wedding is in the future. There are things that can still be done. Looking back and placing blame will just lead to more resentment. THAT day is OVER. The wedding is going to be handled in the right way by ML and her family. THAT is the important part.

Kudos to ML's family for standing behind her NOW. laugh

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
M
OP Offline
M
And I don't blame my family. I asked my sister why they didn't do something and she said they didn't fully understand the situation. And since I seemed to be going along with it, they did too! So, I don't blame them at all now.

I am grateful they are willing to take a stand today.

Exposure 101

L
L
Hey, Scottie...I went back and edited my post as you were posting.

I think it's likely that everybody in Mel's family were in shock and grief, so there's no point in blaming anyone. Most of the time, people who DO recognize something inappropriate simply don't know what to do about it, so they do nothing. I'm also glad that Mel's family is supporting her.

I just want MB to understand that seeing the skank at the wedding is a horrid reminder of her inappropriate presence at the funeral...and Mel should not have to endure it if she doesn't want to.

MB, Mel has asked you not to post on her thread. Please respect her wishes.

"Your actions are so loud that I can't hear a word you're saying!"

BW M 44 yrs to still-foggy but now-faithful WH. What/how I post=my biz. Report any perceived violations to the Mods.
S
S
I actually talked to a friend about this sitch today. I was telling her that if my sister's daughter had passed, and I was at a funeral, I would be a wreck and not know what to do myself. If my sister didn't directly ask me to do something, I wouldn't. Only because I wouldn't know WHAT to do. I am glad that you don't hold any resentment towards them. If only you could give yourself a break over it as well. YOU COULDN'T DO IT THEN. Let go of that.

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
M
OP Offline
M
If only you could give yourself a break over it as well. YOU COULDN'T DO IT THEN. Let go of that.

don't worry, I have let go of that! I know I couldn't function.

Exposure 101

S
S
NP LC. I wasn't really saying anything against what you posted. I was just trying to give a little nudge to ML. I see a lot of hurt in the posts and I know some of it is from that day, not THIS sitch. I was just trying to help with that. It's all good.

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
S
S
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
If only you could give yourself a break over it as well. YOU COULDN'T DO IT THEN. Let go of that.

don't worry, I have let go of that! I know I couldn't function.

Good to hear. There is still a lot of pain in your posts and I can't even imagine how it feels.

It is funny though. Before seeing this thread, I thought that you always had it so together all of the time. Now I look at you as a human. It's like the moment you realize that your parent is a person.

It was good to see so many come to your support. We got your back. laugh

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
V
V
In Mb terms OW is a trigger. What do we tell BSes to do with triggers.... Trash them.... Or burn them smile hehehe....

Ok seriously mow, we never tell a BS to suck it up. There are other solutions here

Me & DH: 28
Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
Just Lookin' and Learnin'
HIYA!
M
M
Originally Posted by Vibrissa
Perhaps a little out of the box thinking here.

What is a wedding for? For two people to commit to live their lives together. They invite their families so they can bear witness to this event, so that the community can pledge their support for the new couple and to celebrate.

Maybe you could do this in your own way. Perhaps a day or two before the wedding, treat your son and his future bride to a special to just the three of you. Where you can give them your gift, give your blessing to the union and celebrate their nuptials in a private event just for the 3 of you (or 4 if you take your hubby, and you should :)). Then maybe, afterwards, get together and go over wedding pics together.

This way you let them know you support them, you love them, and you celebrate their marriage in your own way. But you don't have to endure something unendurable.

You're not going to the wedding isn't a punishment to them, it is you protecting yourself.

Just a thought.

I think this is a very nice idea and may be the best possible solution here.

(the best one that doesn't involve bail money, that is.)

Seriously, this may well be worth looking into. Vibrissa, I'm glad you posted it.

Me, BW
WH cheated in corporate workplace for many years. He moved out and filed in summer 2008.
K
K
I like Vibrissa's idea too.

Parents miss weddings for all sorts of reasons. Some take on a solemn meaning in their absence. Some it's a frivolous thing. My dad missed mine because he couldn't stop drinking for even six months in order to be there. Kasey and I planned an extra long engagement to give him time to give it up. He chose not to be there. To me it was a frivolous reason to not be there.

Yours is not a frivolous reason. Marriage vows are sacred. A painted pig inserting herself in the mother's place is abominable. For a son to not take his vows seriously enough as to allow a pig to clutter up his hopefully once-in-a-lifetime experience is up to him.

I think you did a fine job of explaining to your son why you won't be there. And I think finding a way to celebrate with him and his bride away from the "show" will be as meaningful to him as your absence when it comes time for him to understand what those vows really mean.

Sometime it's going to hit him. I hope it's not the betrayal kind that hits him. I hope it's not the loss of a child. But sometime the garish irreverence of this OW is going to offend his soul. I hope it comes before the wedding. For his sake. And for his bride's sake.

O
O
I think you did a fine job of explaining to your son why you won't be there. And I think finding a way to celebrate with him and his bride away from the "show" will be as meaningful to him as your absence when it comes time for him to understand what those vows really mean.

Sometime it's going to hit him

Right, KA. And you know what else will "hit him?" The level of respect he can have for his Mother for standing up for her principles. He might not be happy about it now, but once the euphoria of the wedding celebration is long over and he starts to understand what Marriage is about, he'll understand that integrity is far more important than one night of pomp and circumstance.

I don't think being absent from the wedding for the right reasons damages the Mother/son relationship one bit in the long run. One day this kid is going to need someone strong in his life, someone who he knows will suffer for their belief system and do the right thing no matter what. It's pretty obvious who that person is going to be.

Opt

Me: 43 y.o. BFWH, D-day 11/11/09 (NC since 9/01)
Divorce from WW final 9/16/10.
Current Status: MB-based Marriage to Nature Girl 12/8/12 (first date on 12/11/10)
Mine: S(16), D(11)
NatureGirls: S(23), D(21)
Another EA Story
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 259 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation