Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2407501 07/20/10 08:06 AM
S
OP Offline
S

Last edited by StrongerThanB4; 07/20/10 03:29 PM. Reason: i need to grow up and just get over it

Truth can stand on it's own two feet....A lie needs support....FRM
StrongerThanB4 #2407652 07/20/10 01:24 PM
C
C
You were arguing with a three year old. YOU grow up. I know it's painful, but she is THREE. Not even three yet!

Hold your tongue around that child, please. There will be a time when she is older to discuss this with her. Now is not the time.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2407672 07/20/10 01:52 PM
L
L
Gonna definately have to agree with CWMI on this one. Why on earth would you want to fill a child with hate, there ain't a good reason to. What ever happened to be the bigger person. The OM in my case threatened to kill me, scared my X so bad that she left with the kids. That was years ago and to this day, I've yet to say a bad word about him to my children, they are old enough now that they've formed their own opinions about our marriage, divorce, and the OM. OH and guess what, their opinions that they arrived to all by their lonesome are all pretty much spot on and they arrived at them without my having to resort to spewing hate.

Also, you do realize that you are allowing that woman to live rent free in your head.... Time to evict her....

Hugz, Thoughtz, & Prayerz

Bill
LostHusband #2407710 07/20/10 03:25 PM
S
OP Offline
S
thank you both for your reply. I do appreciate your brutal honesty. You are correct i did handle that poorly. It may not have come across as the way the converstation actually happened.

You are correct i need to just get over it and what happens with DD accepting her or not is apparently out of my control and she can make what ever decisions she chooses apparently. I am sorry if i upset anyone in the process wasn't my intention three's out from the discovery of the affair and i do still have a lot of hate, maybe it was the fact the OW was on the phone and occupying my then H time while i was going into the OR or the fact he took our 6 day old DD to meet her. None of that should matter now as i need to let those choices go and forget about it. Something i have been working on and have a lot of work left to do.

Again thank you for your time in posting.

Last edited by StrongerThanB4; 07/20/10 03:49 PM.

StrongerThanB4 #2407753 07/20/10 04:12 PM
M
M
StrongerthanB4, I didn't see the original message so i am not sure what the issue is, but if you imagine you can just "get over it" you are dreaming. Adultery is as traumatic as the death of a child, physical assault or RAPE. We wouldn't tell a rape victim to just "get over it" would we?

At least I hope we don't.

Hopefully you told your children that the OW is the enemy of their family and WHY adultery is immoral. Otherwise your cheater husband will be teaching them that adultery is right and justified. It is our parental obligation to give moral guidance to our children.

If we do not teach our children right from wrong, then we are guilty of gross neglect. That is a form of child abuse. Leaving a child to figure out right from wrong is child neglect. A healthy child who knows right from wrong will NATURALLY hate immoral, evil behavior. If they don't then the parent has probably neglected his moral obligation to his child.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

StrongerThanB4 #2407763 07/20/10 04:23 PM
M
M
p.s. if you dont' teach your child right from wrong, your wayward husband will teach them that wrong is right. You are the only defense they have from his immoral teachings.

If you want to screw with a kids head, expose them to a wayward [who will give them wayward "moral" lessons] and then give them NO moral teachings. That will keep them morally confused well into their adult years!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2407778 07/20/10 04:43 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Melody thank u for ur reply I deleted the orginal post out of embarrishment. To.give you the gist my DD 3 goes to my XH and his OW appartmentt every Tuesday to wed and then every other sat to Sunday. Well last week when I was asking how her time at her father' was she started talking about the OW. I stopped her and told her we do not talk about her here. She nauturally asked why and I told her I did not like her(OW). My dd ended up telling me I had to and she was gonna tell her daddy and I would be in big trouble.....I stopped the conversation there. wait I did tell her that the OW was the reason her daddy left at one point. What wasn't in the orginal posat was that my dd has asked b4 why her daddy and his ow never came over to visit. I may not handle everything just iright but I am trying. My dd thinks that the ow is her mommy at her daddy's house. I have corrected her and he was told through our I'M to do the same thing. The correction is as such...that she only has one mommy and one daddy..yadda yadda.

I do get strong emotions invoked in me when I hear her name and it upsets me that my dd has some sort of bond with her, mainly for the reasons above. I try toanswer my dd as truthfuly as her age allows. Maybe that is wrong but I also want her to know from the start that a releationship like her father has with his OW is not right either.

I have been following ur thread on ur son....and frankly that is what I worry about....I was just loooking for guidance on how to handle this. I go to counseling and try to work through it all...I just don't want. Her to repeat her father's cycle.

StrongerThanB4 #2407781 07/20/10 04:45 PM
S
OP Offline
S
As for saying ne thing mean or disrepectful about xh or ow infront ofmy dd...never happen...I don't feel me telling her that I dislike someone is consider as such. That is the most I have ever said that was an ill word about either of them.

StrongerThanB4 #2407787 07/20/10 04:54 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by StrongerThanB4
I have been following ur thread on ur son....and frankly that is what I worry about....I was just loooking for guidance on how to handle this. I go to counseling and try to work through it all...I just don't want. Her to repeat her father's cycle.

Well, unfortunately, your H and his skankho are teaching your children that adultery is an acceptable lifestyle. If you are not honest about their filthy lifestyle, or if you help the them whitewash their crimes, your children will grow up like I did and my son did believing that wrong is right.

It is GOOD that your children understand why you don't like the OW. If you don't tell them that, they will take your silence as ENDORSEMENT, which is about the worst lesson you can give them. If you liked someone who did something so horrific to your family you will morally confuse them.

You are in a tough situation. And while you can't call the SKANK names, you can tell your children that she is an adulterer and how much pain their adultery has caused. Of course, a 3 yr old is not going to understand this yet, but she sure will when she is older.

I do get strong emotions invoked in me when I hear her name and it upsets me that my dd has some sort of bond with her, mainly for the reasons above.

Of course you do. As you should. Just as a rape victim has strong emotions when she sees her rapist. People who are assaulted have a reaction when they are reminded. In your case, you are assualted over and over again.

I am so sorry for your pain. hug

Exposure 101

StrongerThanB4 #2407790 07/20/10 04:58 PM
M
M
Dr. Laura show [4:25 min into segment - 5-15-08]

Caller: Husband had an affair with good friend for 2 years. Her H ws one of his "buddies."

Dr. Laura: Do you have minor children?

Caller: Yes, we both do

Dr. Laura: They are willing to hurt your kids? Why are they willing to break up the families?

caller: Basically, they said they are not "happy."

Dr L: So that is the explanation for being willing to hurt their kids? They are doing this to be "happy?"

What can I do to possibly help you?

Caller: I need to know what to tell my kids.

Dr. Laura: THE TRUTH. They are breaking up 2 families because they have decided.....

See, I am not of the school where you stand by and do pretend with kids where this is all ok. Because this is NOT OK.

The most important story is that this is NOT OK. sit down with your husband and tell him you are going to explain to our children, in a factual, non hysterical way I am going to explain to the kids the horrible thing you are doing to destroy their family. That you are "not happy" is not sufficient reason to destroy 2 families and I am going to make this clear to them because I want them to grow up understanding this is WRONG.

That is my advice. And i think everybody should be clear this is selfish behavior that is WRONG, vows were made.

Not being "happy" is something you work to turnaround, not something you destroy a family over. If both of these people were to hear this was going to happen they will have second thoughts.

DO not think for a moment you are doing wrong by telling your children this. It is your moral obligation to teach them right from wrong. EVEN when it demonstrates a parent has done wrong. The parent cannot be whitewashed and get away with that - THAT IS WRONG and that does not teach the children

I really hope alot of people hear this. Alot of ppl want to whitewash what they are doing. Kids should know that is your attitude.

But to tell the custodial parent: hey don't make me look bad for my own selfish gain is ABSURD! and is EVIL! We are going to make wrong seem ok. Kids will lose any sense of right and wrong. Kids will be taught that anything is ok as long as it makes me "happy." Kids lose any sense of right or wrong. "well, it makes me happy to use drugs" when I am 12 It makes me "happy" to get on my knees and give 4 6th graders oral sex. That is what they teach their kids.

This is what happens when you whitewash wrongdoing to make no body feel bad which is why I get called MEAN. I get called mean because I say the truth. "Its MEAN to say something is right or wrong; its mean to make somebody feel bad!" Its MEAN to say the truth. People get shut down when they get called "judgmental" when they say the truth. The intent is to shut you down. Well, I don't shut up. Kids don't learn important truths when they allow others to shut them down. We don't help our children when we don't say the truth and support them in saying what is right and wrong.

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2407792 07/20/10 04:59 PM
M
M
Dr. Harley on telling the children:

The same can be said about telling children about an affair. My experience with the positive outcomes of hundreds of families where an affair has been exposed to children has led me to encourage a betrayed spouse not to fear such exposure. In fact, to mislead children, giving other false explanations as to why their parents are not getting along, causes children to be very confused. When they finally discover the truth, it sets an example to children that dishonesty is sometimes acceptable, making them the judge of when that might occur.

An affair is an attack on children as well as the betrayed spouse. And it's true that children are deeply affected by this form of irresponsible behavior. But it's the act of infidelity that causes children to suffer, not the exposure of it. Facts point us toward solutions. Illusion leads us astray. That's true for children as well as adults.
here

Q: So, you do suggest telling our 10 year old son? Is this more than he can handle? He never saw any real unhappiness as my husband and I had a very low conflict marriage. I have been protecting our son from this truth. He still has hope that his dad is going to come home.
A: As for your son, the truth will come out eventually, even if you get back together again. And your son won't be emotionally crippled if he hears the truth. It's lies and deception that cripple children. He should know that your husband is choosing his lover over his son's mother. It's a fact. He's willing to ruin a family unit all for what.

When I first started recommending openness about an affair, I wasn't sure what would happen. But I did it because I knew it was the right thing to do. Now I know that for most couples it marks the beginning of recovery.

The reason that children should know about an affair is that exposing it to the light of day (letting everyone know), helps give the unfaithful spouse a dose of reality. An affair thrives on illusion, and whatever a betrayed spouse can do to eliminate the illusion is justifiable. Mold doesn't grow well in sunlight.
here

2. How honest should I be about the A? (they are 7 and under)

Tell your children as much as you can about their father's affair, and how it affects you. There are some counselors and lawyers that strongly disagree with me on this issue, but I have maintained that position for over 35 years without any evidence that children are hurt by it. They're hurt by the affair, not by accurate information regarding the affair. Just make sure that you don't combine accurate information with disrespectful judgments. For example, you can say that the OW has taken their father away from you, but you should not say that she is home-wrecker (or worse).
here

My basic approach to life is that radical honesty is valuable on many different dimensions. It keeps us out of trouble, it helps others understand us, and it helps others avoid the same mistakes we have made. Letting your children know the details of your husband's affair would help them in all three areas.

The more your children know about your husband's affair, the more careful he will be to avoid them in the future.

The more your children know about his affair, the more they will understand what you are going through in your recovery (by the way, you are doing very well -- keep up the good work!).

Being radically honest about your husband's affair with your children would also help them avoid affairs themselves. How it happened and how could it have been prevented is a great object lesson for children. I learned that I was vulnerable for an affair when I learned about my grandfather's affairs. The extraordinary precautions I've taken were directly related to what I learned about him.

It's the approach I've always taken, and while it's difficult, especially for the WS, there's much more upside to it than downside.
here

Exposure 101

StrongerThanB4 #2407807 07/20/10 05:34 PM
S
S
StrongerThanB4,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you setting boundaries with your DD about what conversations are acceptable in your home...YOUR SANCTUARY.

You have been through hell these last few years, and it is healthy for you to have these boundaries.

It sounds like you were speaking to her in age appropriate terms.

Happily married to HerPapaBear

sexymamabear #2407812 07/20/10 05:40 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by sexymamabear
StrongerThanB4,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you setting boundaries with your DD about what conversations are acceptable in your home...YOUR SANCTUARY.

You have been through hell these last few years, and it is healthy for you to have these boundaries.

This child is two years old and they were arguing about whether or not Stronger needed to like the OW.

That's age appropriate?

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2407819 07/20/10 05:55 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by CWMI
[
This child is two years old and they were arguing about whether or not Stronger needed to like the OW.

That's age appropriate?

I think the OP would be the best judge of what the child can understand. Her judgement is the best, not ours.

Exposure 101

CWMI #2407821 07/20/10 06:00 PM
M
M

The OP was explaining to the child WHY she does not like the OW. That is HER JOB. A 3 year old can understand that her mother does not like someone. That is not above her comprehension.

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2407840 07/20/10 07:23 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
StrongerthanB4, I didn't see the original message so i am not sure what the issue is,

Can you just take it from those who saw the OP that it was not an age-appropriate handling of the issue?

Stronger, nobody here wants you to stuff it...if you've worn out your RL people, vent here. Vent here, then speak to your DD.

(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2407844 07/20/10 07:30 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
StrongerthanB4, I didn't see the original message so i am not sure what the issue is,

Can you just take it from those who saw the OP that it was not an age-appropriate handling of the issue?

What was not "age appropriate" about it? All I have seen are posts telling her she shouldn't even be telling the child...AT ALL. That she is "filling her with hate" for telling the truth. huh? crazy THAT does not support the notion that this wasn't "age-appropriate."

All I see here are posts telling her NOT to say anything to her child about it and that advice is inappropriate.

So what was inappropriate? Besides the advice to not the tell the child?

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2407848 07/20/10 07:48 PM
C
C
She was arguing with the TWO YEAR OLD that she didn't have to like OW because OW was a bad person.

No, an adult should not enter into arguments with a 2yo about who should like whom for what reason. fwiw, I didn't tell her not to be talking at all with the child about it, but that now is not the time. This is a toddler.

She can get her point across without all the 'bad evil person, yuck! I hate her!' stuff. The child is, unfortunately, without a choice in the matter, and Mom can either be firm and upstanding, or venomous.

(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2407849 07/20/10 07:51 PM
M
M
And how would you suggest she tell the child that the OW is a bad person and is not a friend of the OP?

Exposure 101

CWMI #2407851 07/20/10 07:54 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by sexymamabear
StrongerThanB4,

That's age appropriate?

Absolutely!!! That OW helped destroy that child's family - she IS her enemy, and there is nothing wrong and everything right with Stronger letting her DD know this...I would not appreciate not being told if I was snuggling up next to someone who wrecked my family - sure the little girl doesn't get all of that right now, but someday she will very much appreciate being given the facts...The truth serves to protect a child...

I don't know Stronger's DD, but I can tell you that our DD was very verbal and cognizant at that age - She could absolutely have understood being told why the family split up in an age appropriate manner...

Something along the lines of: Married people are not supposed to have boyfriends or girlfriends. Daddy chose to do something that is wrong - He got a girlfriend while we were married. The girlfriend knew that Daddy was married and broke the rules anyway. This is why Mommy and Daddy are no longer married, and why I do not like girlfriend/OW.

Stronger, you did nothing wrong...(((((Stronger)))))

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 370 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation