Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 89 1 2 3 4 88 89
S
S
Yep. Both. Analysis of both types. Just following on cos the rant was about WS. And behind every WS is a BS anyway.

M
M
Originally Posted by staytogether
And behind every WS is a BS anyway.
]

Of course. Which is why it is important to take a 2x4 to their foggy heads. They either wake up or if they are not serious, they run. A good outcome either way.

But what would be the point of your exercise? I don't get your point.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
No point -I just like looking for patterns in things - maybe if it happened a point would become apparent. It's the science geek in me.

M
M
No point -I just like looking for patterns in things - maybe if it happened a point would become apparent. It's the science geek in me.

But have you carried that to its logical conclusion? Is the point of the exercise to keep a WS here at all costs? To dictate the posts of board members? What exactly?

Its not realistic to imagine that a study could record such subjective measures as "harsh" or "gentle" or "intelligent." Since that means different things to different people it would be an impossible objective.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

I have been here for 9 years and the pattern is this: the ones who are serious STAY and get help for their marriage.

The ones who AREN'T, run as soon as anything threatens their fog.

The ones who are serious can withstand anything.

Exposure 101

S
S
I have read a few posts where it says 'don't forget about WS feelings. They are going through guilt, and shame and blah, blah, blah!!!' Give me a break! I'm sorry I know I'm a newbie, but I have been reading everything on this site. No WS can feel the slightest amount of pain us BS feel! EVER! Maybe because my sitch is so new I will understand the WS feelings more as time passes. The hurt, pain, anger, sadness...... I could go on and on because it seems never ending. The first feelings my WS had? RELIEF!!! What?!!? Yes, relief that the A was over, no more hiding etc. but, of course, he had tremendous guilt over what he had done to his family, blech!

BW(me)41
WH 40
DD19, DS16, DD14.
M19 yrs. Together 21yrs
D-Day 05/05/2010
Trying to work on M together with MB principles.

What's meant to be will always find a way.
S
S
yeah - but what are the percentages?? HOw many are serious, how many aren't. Equally, how many BS can hack the the prog and how many can't?

Maybe get a panel to adjudicate the harshness of a post?

S
S
Here's a rant:

How about those who expect others to be guided through the most difficult period in their lives relying solely on advice from an anonymous internet message board?

S
S
Sorry schtoop, I don't understand??

M
M
Originally Posted by schtoop
Here's a rant:

How about those who expect others to be guided through the most difficult period in their lives relying solely on advice from an anonymous internet message board?

Here is my rant. Why go to an anonymous message board and ASK FOR ADVICE and then not take it? crazy

Exposure 101

M
M
yeah - but what are the percentages?? HOw many are serious, how many aren't. Equally, how many BS can hack the the prog and how many can't?

But you didn't answer my question. What is the point and how would you measure a subjective. And WHY?

Btw, I believe we do have a standard in place to judge posts and that is called the TERMS OF SERVICE. It is upheld by a panel of moderators. grin

Exposure 101

S
S
Isn't it ironic?
Don't you think?

Hey yiah yiah
Yiah yea yea
Hey yiah

An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day
It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
Isn't it ironic
Don't you think?

It's like rain on your weddin' day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
And who would've thought, it figures

Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly
He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids goodbye
He waited his whole damn life to take that flight
And as the plane crashed down he thought
Well, isn't this nice
And isn't it ironic
Don't you think?

Well life has a funny way of sneakin' up on you
When you think everything's okay and everything's goin' right, right
And life has a funny way nobody helpin' you out when
You think everyhing's gone wrong and everything blows up
In your face

A traffic jam when you're already late
A no smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meetin' the man of my dreams
And then meetin' his beautiful wife, umm
And isn't it ironic
Don't you think?
A little too ironic
And yeah, I really do think

And well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
And life has a funny, funny way of helpin' you out
Helpin' you out

M
M
Here's a rant:

p.s. Dr Harley is not anonymous. He is a licensed clinical psychologist and the author of 12 books. He has the most successful marriage building program in the business. I know of no other than can even come close. Other marriage counselors [even those from Retrouville] come to HIS seminar for their own marriages.

If the said posters are using his advice, it is much more than "advice from an anonymous internet message board.." It is advice given by Dr Harley.

Exposure 101

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Here's a rant:

p.s. Dr Harley is not anonymous. He is a licensed clinical psychologist and the author of 12 books. If the said posters are using his advice, it is much more than "advice from an anonymous internet message board.." It is advice given by Dr Harley.

Schtoop, you answered your own rant in a post you made on your thread:

This has been a tremendous support when I have really no where else to turn.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
R
R

IMVHO as a newbie (almost 3 months since Dday), I have to say that the harshness thing doesn't quite sit well with me. This situation, by its very nature, is HARSH. I have never felt this kind of pain or worked this hard for anything in my life! I feel like I am fighting for my life!! If a WS comes on here and feels they are judged too "harshly", so be it. How "harsh" do they think their BS views the actions of someone they trusted completely and implicitly who then took a huge crap on their marriage and everything they believed to be true?
Now, do I see the pain in my H's eyes every time I look at him? Yes. Do I feel sorry for him? Sometimes, but that is the protector in me that hurts when someone I love hurts. However, I am being stripped of everything I knew of my life, piece by piece, day by day. I look in the mirror and see another woman looking back at me and I don't always recognize who she is. My life and my future are so up in the air right now, if I really let it get stuck in my brain, the fear will consume me.
I think a great deal of what is wrong with our society in general is that we seem to be focused on making people feel "accepted" and "validated". Its just like when my boys played little league baseball - you got a trophy at the end of the season just for showing up. Everybody got one, regardless of performance. If you are gonna be rewarded no matter what, then what is the motivation for doing your best?
I may be overstepping my boundaries by speaking my mind, but if you are a WS and you feel that you are being treated "harshly", baby, you brought it on yourself. We BS, on the other hand, would not have chosen to travel this path in a million years...but then we were not given a choice, were we?

BS(me)43
WS(him)35
Married 7 yrs (together 10)
No children together; 20yo & 15yo ds (mine), 14yo dd (his)
D day: 05/11/10
NC not established
M
M
Since this thread is about rants, my rant is about posting song lyrics that have no intellectual or spiritual depth. Most songs are written by those in the entertainment industry who have about as much depth as Beevus and [censored].

Exposure 101

S
S
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
But you didn't answer my question. What is the point and how would you measure a subjective. And WHY?

The point would be to fill my need for statistics, the point would be, just cos I like to look at data and like I said it may reveal something - something that none of us had thought of - it might bring about a way to change the way things are done. It might help to have figures for those clueless waywards- just as more evidence to back up that the plan for recovery actually works.

Btw, I believe we do have a standard in place to judge posts and that is called the TERMS OF SERVICE. It is upheld by a panel of moderators. grin
laugh

I don't mean to moderate - but to appraise/score on a scale of gentle to harsh.

S
S
Ah, but Mel, it was just ironic, don't you think? That good advice, that just doesn't get taken.

M
M
Originally Posted by redzgirl
[I may be overstepping my boundaries by speaking my mind, but if you are a WS and you feel that you are being treated "harshly", baby, you brought it on yourself. We BS, on the other hand, would not have chosen to travel this path in a million years...but then we were not given a choice, were we?

AGREE 100%! clap It is like watching the rapist cry because the cops handled him a little too roughly after he just raped a 12 yr old girl. Sorry, but my sympathy is for the victim, not the perp.

Exposure 101

S
S
Just to make it clear :I am not saying that harsh 2x4s shouldn't be given

Page 2 of 89 1 2 3 4 88 89

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 883 guests, and 74 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation