Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18
M
M
Originally Posted by fullmoon16
Oh, as for the wedding, I am planning not to go (unless OM will not be there)...though I have no clue how that's going to work out.

Bravo!!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P
Thank you for your concern and persistence.

DH�s belief that this is �no big deal� is [probably] allowing me some freedom to minimize it (infatuation/EA). When I thought of going to the wedding, there was no question that I must go. It�s our friend�s wedding. It�s just taboo to decline a wedding invitation. But the fact that you ALL were appalled that I even considered going�I was surprised. It�s not like I�m going to have a chance for SF with OM at the wedding. With DH there. Given my exposure. And everyone else there. So there would be a barrier between us. That�s how I was thinking of it.

There may, however, be a chance for eye contact and flirtation�which got all of this stuff started in the first place. I hoped I�d just say �hi� to OM but otherwise keep my mouth shut. I asked DH last night what he thought of his friend flirting with me. Meggy is very insistent that I reveal OM�s side of this. I started out with how he feels about flirting�and his exasperated face promptly appeared.

He said that he �doesn�t think like that� and he doesn�t want to hear this. In any case, due to your reactions, I see NC differently. With �serious� NC, if OM was on his deathbed, I couldn�t even tell him goodbye�because I would have committed to NC FOR LIFE�and there is no exception, no matter how small. Wow. Well�now I see why you�re shocked that I would go to the wedding. It doesn�t matter if there is a barrier between us or not. No means No. Period. Okay.

So I told DH that we shouldn�t go to the wedding for the NC. He said that his friends would be mad at him for life and we�re going.

Meggy, I told him that he should read my posts 3 times in our conversation last night and he declined. He is simply not going to aggravate himself. As long as I am not sleeping around, there is no problem.

DH explained that like there are different types of Christianity, there are different types of M. Perhaps, your Ms need MB principles to survive; ours does not. We have trust that does not require spying or NC. The bottomline is that when it comes right down to it neither of us will cheat (PA).

As you know, I am not a fan of the �harsh� words. *lol* It�s practically impossible for me to say, �DH, that�s where you�re wrong because I am not all that sure that I could resist f* him if he decides to take it to that level�� DH knows of my �fantasies� but does not want to hear details. [FYI: I have been doing fairly well not seeing OM over the last month since I have been exerting all of my emotional energy dealing with you guys *LOL*]

It feels like I am going to ruin my M (trying to tell him stuff he doesn�t want to hear) in order to save my M. That would defeat the whole purpose. How would MB be successful for me if I push DH away? I am not meeting his �peace of mind� EN as I continue to pursue this against his will.

Good luck. I'm out.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
M
M
It feels like I am going to ruin my M (trying to tell him stuff he doesn�t want to hear) in order to save my M. That would defeat the whole purpose. How would MB be successful for me if I push DH away? I am not meeting his �peace of mind� EN as I continue to pursue this against his will.

Radical honesty is the only way to create intimacy in a marriage. Dishonesty and unspoken issues create a loss of love and foster superficiality in marriage. There is no such thing as an EN of "peace of mind." [what you really mean is a state of delusion about the state of his marriage]

If your H does not know the truth about his own life, he can't very well fix the problem.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
I'm not analyzing it...just how am I going to get that out of my mouth to DH who I love? DH might leave me.

This is information he HAS to have. To not give him the truth is cruel and leaves him in ignorance about the true state of his marriage and the true nature of your feelings for the OM.

And yes, he might leave. That is his right. No one else has a right to make that decision for him.

Exposure 101

A
A
what u posted is very beautiful Melody, but unfortunately very few people practive this radical honesty...that is why relationship are in so much trouble in this day and age, and there are so many devices that foster secrecy and the right to privacy....
blessing

atena
M
M
That is really confusing. I can't be in love with both of them.
Why is that? Where did you come up with the idea that you can only be in love with one person? It happens every single day of every single week. We have seen exactly THAT scenario played out so many times it can be predicted to happen again before the day is over around here...

Suggestion for you, FM, before you make yourself (and the rest of us) nuts in the process. Read His Needs Her Needs. Then we'll talk.

Read the Basic Concepts again (assuming that you have actually read them in order from beginning to end) and try to understand the Love Bank concept and how it works. THAT is where the disconnect is taking place here. You don't buy the Love Bank model and think "love" is magic or some such...

M
M
Originally Posted by atena
what u posted is very beautiful Melody, but unfortunately very few people practive this radical honesty...

Thats why they need Marriage Builders!

Exposure 101

A
A
so true!

atena
F
OP Offline
F

I now fully believe that my first exposure was a failure. Evidently, I was honest but not RADICALLY honest. That's the problem. Had I said on 6/30 to DH that "I am in love with OM", I could have saved us the last 100 threads. For that, I am incredibly embarrassed.

I am going to tell DH that I am in love with him...and I'll throw in that I want to [censored] him (just to leave no room for confusion or calm).

Gloveoil, Thank you even if I am making you pull out your hair... Mark (I had not responded about the LB but it makes sense), Vanilla (thank you for your earlier post that I had not had an opportunity to go back and respond to yet), Sapphire (always helpful), Melody (I know you think I am a waste most of the time and I think you're trying to provoke me but I'll bite my tongue), Meggy (*@*!%@!), Vibrissa (your suggestion on what to say was good but I guess I am just going to be a harsh a**hole with DH and get it over with)...I've had you all busy as he77 this week. I TOLD YOU THAT I DIDN'T WANT TO COME TO THIS THREAD. I blame you. (<-- That was a joke...calm down.)

PLEASE NO ONE RESPOND TO THIS. I JUST WANTED TO THANK YOU even though some of you are aggravating me...but I know my first exposure was a failure, a false start, and every subsequent talk with DH because the honesty was not RADICAL. I have to start over after sucking up all of your time. I'M SO SORRY.

On another note, I have enjoyed posting to your MB threads (even though I am driving you crazy and vice versa), you have been instantly responsive and helpful/harsh, expecting me to move mountains and cure "addiction" in a matter of minutes *lol* but thank you (for not taking any crap)...I'm sure one day I'll be a defogged vet, look back at this, and cringe.

Have a wonderful weekend!

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Mark1952
FM,

Have you told your husband that you have fallen in love with OM? That is what this is really all about. It isn't just that you are "attracted" to him or that you find him "cute" or "a hunk" or any of that sort of thing. You have fallen in love with the guy.

If your husband doesn't see that as a problem, I see only a couple of possibilities. Either you haven't told him that, just that way, or he doesn't really think love is a viable goal for a marriage and only logical decisions can effect his life with you.

Falling in love is really a form of insanity when it comes right down to it. People do all sorts of crazy things in the name of being in love. The news almost every day has at least one story about a husband or wife who has murdered a spouse, or someone else's spouse or in some cases their own children in the name of being in love.

An EA is every bit as dangerous to a marriage as a PA in many cases. In some instances it can actually be worse. What happens is that a comparison begins to take place wherein the WS starts to actively and consciously compare the BS to the affair partner. While at the time this seems to be a logical and data processing sort of thing, it really is not.

Our brain processes data and logic primarily on the left side. It is an area that can sort information, apply past lessons very rapidly, make adjustments to our own actions and interactions with others and can modify those actions in response to whatever information our senses are giving us.

Our emotions are from the other side of our brain and really don't process information and data as much as simply respond to stimulus as it is provided. We FEEL based on what is taking place rather than examining what is taking place.

Now if a stimulus is provided to us repeatedly, and that stimulus provides us with an emotional response and whenever we have that emotional response a particular person is also present at the same time, before long, the person becomes sufficient stimulus to cause the emotional response. The response becomes what is called a directed response and the person becomes what is known as a directed stimulus. The mere presence of the person is sufficient to cause the emotional response.

Now if the person, now a directed stimulus is causing a good emotional response, when it becomes a directed response, their simple presence causes us to have that good emotional response. This is some of the science behind the Love Bank model. When that person has reached the point of being a directed stimulus so that they alone trigger a good emotional response in the pleasure center of our brain, we say we have fallen in love with that person.

What is really taking place is a bunch of chemicals including serotonin (the chemical that makes us have a sense of well being), dopamine (the feel good chemical), and the precursor to dopamine called PEA flood the receptors in our brain and give us a feeling that can even be hard to describe. It is often marked by elevated blood pressure and heart rate, feelings of euphoria and a bunch of other stuff we add together to define what we call being in love.

But those same chemicals, working in the same part of the brain are what causes addictions to things like alcohol and crack. Falling in love isn't just LIKE an addiction, it IS an addiction in the purest sense of the word.

An affair is really just a fantasy of sorts. An affair partner doesn't have to supply anything beyond the stimulus to feel good. He or she doesn't have to provide for paying of bills, raising children, maintaining a house, doing laundry, cooking meals...nothing except making each other feel good.

In addition, when we first fall in love with someone, we are only with that person when they are providing that stimulus. They aren't there at all when we have a negative emotional response to something, least of all to something they might or might not have done. So all they do is feed pure feelings and emotions and be around when we are feeling our best.

And here is where the problem takes place when an affair is beginning to do its work in the emotional state of a WS. This comparison starts to happen wherein the BS is compared to the AP. But since the logic part of the brain is not engaged in the feeling associated with the affair partner, what is being compared is the real world relationship with the BS versus the fantasy life that is really only the good feeling being generated by the AP when we are together.

Now on the surface, we see the comparison as one based on sound logic. We put together this list of Pros and Cons similar to the old method you might have been taught in school. You list the Pros or things for something in one column and the Cons or things against on the other side. Once thoughts are exhausted, we compare the columns and whichever is longer is the "right" decision or choice.

But when this AP BS comparison takes place we aren't comparing the benefits and negatives of being faithful and fixing the marriage or the benefits of having an affair (which are entirely selfish things related to our emotions)and the negative consequences of having the affair. Rather what we compare is the negative data of the real relationship with the BS versus the emotional high derived from the stimulus of the AP.

So we are comparing a feeling with day to day life, an emotional response with reality. The logic and data processing part of our brain can identify all the negative things about the BS while the emotional side of our brain can only imagine the feelings the AP causes us to feel.

Seldom do women leave their husbands because they are "attracted to" another man. They don't abandon their children and end a marriage because a guy is a hunk or because he is good at flirting or better at kissing than their husbands. They do however leave their husbands because they have fallen in love with someone else. It happens so often that this very forum exists to help those caught in such a situation whether the betrayed or the betrayer. Almost never does a woman leave her husband for great sex, so it is almost never about sex for most women. It is however about having other ENs met by a guy who makes them fall in love by meeting those ENs and causing her to feel things she thought were long dead.

The PROBLEM with falling in love with someone to whom you are not married when you are married to someone else is that unless something is done to reverse the trend, eventually the process will play out in ways that from the beginning can not even be imagined by those involved.

Once we are married, it is our responsibility to prevent ourselves from falling in love with anyone else. It can only happen if we don't actually do anything to prevent it and once it happens, the logical parts of our brain are subservient to our emotions. We end up following our heart rather than leading it and the result for marriage is always destruction and hurt beyond what you can even begin to explain to someone who has not experienced it first hand. Affairs don't happen because we meet someone special. They happen because we don't prevent ourselves form having them and we don't prevent ourselves from having them because we are making choices with the part of the brain that can't process data and logic and only feels emotions. WE WANT to feel good, so we let someone make us feel good until feeling good is all that matters to us.

The choices that protect a marriage, those that prevent infidelity, need to be made on purpose and by design, based in the left side of our brains where right and wrong, logic and reality are processed rather than in the right side where all we can do is feel what is being provided by whatever stimulus we are experiencing at the moment.

If you want to save your marriage, abandon the notion that you can only get a little high from the addiction of loving another man and still make rational, logical and data based decisions and choices. Tell your husband that you have fallen in love with his best friend and you want to renew your relationship so that you can be in love with each other all over again.

If that is your intent in being here, then MB can help but only if you accept the idea that falling in love is something that can be done on purpose and that you have the ability to choose who you are going to allow to do the things that bring that about.

Love might be a form of insanity, but you and your husband can be insanely in love with each other if you learn what it takes for that to happen and begin doing the things that can bring that to fruition.

Mark

Wow, Mark! You�re like an angel. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. I am going to tell him what I said. I am going to be not honest�but radically honest. I am grateful for you wasting all the time it took to write that to me�I won�t let it actually go to waste. I�ve heard you and I thank you. I�m sorry I�m so difficult, got myself in this position (addiction)�and am fighting you all, fighting myself. I can�t wait to get over it. I appreciate you, Mark!

You know what? You all will probably actually like me when I am no longer addicted. *lol* I�m not such a bad lady. smile

M
M
We (my wife and I - a a few of our friends from church) will be praying for you, FM.

I really do hope you guys both "get it" and "get it together."

Mark

V
V
All right, missy. Who are you, and what have you done with fullmoon?

Just kidding!

Here's to hoping the fog is truly clearing and things go well (as well as possible? as well as can be expected? well in the looooong term after your new exposure talk?). smile

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
D-day: 2008
F
OP Offline
F
Well, he cursed me out seven ways from Sunday for bringing this up again, he doesn't want to hear about this, doesn't give a (edit) about me being in love with some other man, or about the fantasies in my head. I better stay the (edit) off this website, almost left but i was crying so he stayed...said our night is ruined. He doesn't want to talk to me anymore.

Last edited by Breezemb; 07/26/10 11:33 AM. Reason: TOS - profanity
F
OP Offline
F
frown

W
W
frown

Give it time FM...it will sink in. He's totally in denial right now and doesn't want to face the truth. Hang in there and keep the faith...

hug

Want2Stay

S
S
Sometimes people are in shock when they hear these words come out of their spouses mouth and it takes some time for them to realize what is going on.

As far as getting off of this website. I have this to say, you weren't "scared" away by 2x4's and "harsh" words from the posters here so why let your BH, who is scared himself, scare you off?

And, I definitely DON'T speak for MelodyLane(since I AM SCAIRT OF HER) but you should be grateful that she posts to you. She doesn't do so to get you to attack her, it's HER way. We need her around here. I was HONOURED when she would post to me. I even found myself having "arguments" about MB and DrH concepts when I didn't fully understand. One of the best compliments in my life was when I read the words, "Scotland, you were right on with that advice" and it was from MelodyLane. Everyone who has posted to you has made their dents in your Wayward fog.

BTW, I AM A GIRL. lashes grin

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
S
S
You did the right thing FM.

Doing the right thing feels like it's the wrong thing in the beginning.
It feels unproductive now, but what you did was very productive.

You just saved your marriage from a lot of hurt, because your husband wanted to bury this.
He has no idea how deadly this is to you both.

I applaud you for stopping it before it went to PA status. That is more devastating for a man. An EA is just as bad, but men tend to be more devastated by the physical.

Because it is most of our top EN's.
He is scared FM, scared and doesn't want this to be true. he just wants it to go away.

He can't..only you can.

W
W
Sheesh, your H trying to sweep things under the rug, ignore the situation and hope it goes away. I just couldn't imagine what he would do if you really went through with the EA and it turned into a PA. Would he still think the same? Why does he not realize that his wife could have been gone by the end of the year? Why does he see MB as a threat?

I guess what we are trying to do is to shock your husband into getting on board with fixing his side of the marriage (mind you I am not using him as an excuse for an A). Obviously he does not like it, I'm scared for the state of your marriage with this man if what you are saying is true. Why can he not see the current state of his marriage?

On top of that continue to meet his needs, and help him meet yours without commiting any LB's.

F
OP Offline
F
How much time should I give DH for this to "sink in"?

After the blow up yesterday, I laid down by myself to just think about everything. A couple hours later DH came to apologize to me for his rude behavior. And he was OVER IT.

Today, he brought up OM casually several times...nothing to do with our "blow up" conversation...just general things about when all the guys hang out together. *?@!?!* (I changed the subject.)

My fear is that this is not going to sink in at all. If I had to give him time to "work through" it, I would. But he's not working through it because, again, we have no problem. He thinks we can't fix what is not broken.

I am happy that he will still be married to me and love me. Even though I was sad about yesterday, I thought it was good that he was angry. I thought we could make progress from there.

But he will not hear of this NC thing. Maybe he spoke to OM about me (after the first exposure) and they have agreed that OM isn't interested in me. Otherwise, you'd think he would hear me...and, at a minimum, not talk to me about OM.

I am reading HNHN, some parts I am rereading. I asked him to read it with me. No. Case closed. He has absolutely shut-down on the topic. There is nothing more that I can say.

How long does it take to sink in?

Melody, I'm starting to agree with you that it's a waste.

I think now the ball is in DH court as for how to handle this. I don't know what else I can do...

M
M
But he will not hear of this NC thing. Maybe he spoke to OM about me (after the first exposure) and they have agreed that OM isn't interested in me. Otherwise, you'd think he would hear me...and, at a minimum, not talk to me about OM.

FM, like I said earlier it is up to you to end all contact with the OM. You are the keeper of your boundaries, not him. He doesn't have to agree with your boundaries in order for you to observe them and protect your marriage. Just because he doesn't see the danger of playing chicken in the road doesn't mean that you play chicken.

Exposure 101

Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,169 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation