Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
Hi MBers,

I'm hoping to get your opinion on Affairages. For those of you who don't know the term, and Affairage is when two people in an affair marry each other.

Unfortunately, I have a friend who married the woman he cheated with. They have been married about a year and together three. In this time, they've had a son and she has a daughter from her previous marriage (yes, she was married at the time they got together).

Predictably, they are having issues. The biggest? Trust. (Surprise! <----sarcasm) And the normal issues amplified by daily life like kids, bills, full time jobs, etc.

Anyway, even though I'm only a short time poster, I have a zealous believer in Marriage Builders and I share this site and the books with everyone I talk about marriage to... except this friend in an affairage.

I'm torn about sharing this information with them considering the circumstances around the beginning of their relationship. But then you complicate that with the fact there are innocent children involved. Children who deserve two loving parent regardless of the fact they're both cheaters.

Even if I share the MB concepts with them, they're survival chances are still slim.

What are your feelings on this?

aBetterMe

Last edited by aBetterMe; 09/17/10 02:18 PM.

aBetterMe

Me 33
DH 35
Together 14 years, married 12
Two "furry children" (one cat & one dog)

MB has changed me and changed my life. I am becoming a better person for it, and building a better marriage. MB principles can truly help you create the love and the life you want.
V
V
The Harleys DO counsel with Affairages and help them have a good marriage. However, I believe Dr. Harley states that these cases are VERY difficult. It is possible though, and really - for the sake of the children should try to be worked out.

I wouldn't suggest you send them here - some of the best advice from some of the best posters will simply be unavailable to them. I would advise you to introduce them to marriage builders. Encourage them to get SAA, HNHN, and Love Busters and to call in to the coaching center.

They can provide the help this couple needs.

Me & DH: 28
Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
Just Lookin' and Learnin'
HIYA!
A
OP Offline
A
I agree I shouldn't send them here to the website. I think it would detrimental to our (mine and DH's) relationship with them since it would essentially imply our (not so positive) feelings on the origin of their relationship. DH is long-time friends with the other husband and while their marriage may not last, I hope that the friendship with him and my husband can.

It would be easy to share the books with them. I guess I should admit part of the reason I've struggled with this questions is because I feel like they've "made their bed and should have to lay in it". Ugh. Does that make me a bad person?

aBetterMe

Last edited by aBetterMe; 09/17/10 02:24 PM.

aBetterMe

Me 33
DH 35

MB has changed me and changed my life. I am becoming a better person for it, and building a better marriage. MB principles can truly help you create the love and the life you want.
C
C
If Wayzilla and Gollum (a 3-4 time serial cheater) were ever to affairage as is her fervent desire, and she showed up here one day as a heart broken betrayed spouse pleading for help to save her affairage, I would be very distressed by anyone on the forum that would earnestly help her.

And I refuse to post anything to affairage saving threads.

They need to go directly to the Harleys.

Last edited by chrisner; 09/17/10 02:35 PM.

Testosterone boys! Testosterone! It ain’t just for nose, ear and back hair anymore!
P
P
Originally Posted by chrisner
If Wayzilla and Gollum (a 3-4 time serial cheater) were ever to affairage as is her fervent desire, and she showed up here one day as a heart broken betrayed spouse pleading for help to save her affairage, I would be very distressed by anyone on the forum that would earnestly help her.

And I would hope Chrisner that you would quickly out them to everyone.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
M
M

I agree. Even Dr Harley, though, claims he has been unsuccessful in saving affairages.

I think that when partners in an affair marriage cheat on each other, the problem is not the cheating, but one of accepting the natural consequences for your choices. They signed on for this, they are not victims.

If I CHOOSE to drive to Cleveland then I have to be a big enuf gurl to accept that I am in CLEVELAND. The same with marrying a cheater. When you choose a cheater for a spouse you must accept the consequences of your choices.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
C
If I CHOOSE to drive to Cleveland

Who would do that?

Testosterone boys! Testosterone! It ain’t just for nose, ear and back hair anymore!
H
H
I have many opinions on this but in this case...

My silence will have to speak volumes

Me 55, XWH 53, M 22 years
D17, D30
alien replaces my husband "I'm not happy" -7/08
Discover OW-8/08 (his direct report and I work there also)
H moves out 10/1/08, confront Ow 10/28/08
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

Quote: "First thing you do is pray; when there is nothing else to do, continue to pray."
M
M

Who would do that?

**snort** grin

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

A
OP Offline
A
I don't think either of them have cheated on each other (yet) but they're clearly unhappy. And I agree, if you marry a cheater you have to own your decision.

They've stated before that they are aware of the issues they'll face because it is an affairage. I just think those issues are becoming more and more apparent. Add in the fact that she was his subordinate at work and he promoted her, that she moved in with him shortly after his ex moved out, that they had a kid and bought a second house BEFORE they were even together a YEAR or even MARRIED at that point.

They've done everything the wrong way and in the wrong order. They put too much pressure on a new relationship. Even if they HADN'T cheated on their previous spouses, just the fact that they rushed through some pretty monumental life decisions in such a short time, they would still be struggling.

Last edited by aBetterMe; 09/17/10 03:29 PM.

aBetterMe

Me 33
DH 35

M
M
Originally Posted by aBetterMe
I don't think either of them have cheated on each other (yet) but they're clearly unhappy. And I agree, if you marry a cheater you have to own your decision..

oops, my bad. I thought there was cheating so I re-read your post. The reason Dr Harley says that affairages don't last is because the dishonesty and selfishness that made the affair possible eventually poison the relationship. And certainly they should not trust each other!

Exposure 101

M
M

ITA with this. It's cruel for affairages to come here and ask for help.

And Dr. H says they are much harder to help ~ for obvious reasons.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
S
S
I also agree that I would not try to save this marriage. I do want to ask you though, what did you do to save the OM's first marriage? Have you ever told his XBW about this site? Maybe even about the books. She could have GREAT relationships in the future. When I see that someone is in an affairage and they come to this board, I ignore that user. It's because I would not want to help "save" a marriage that destroyed some other BS. DrH does try and that would be the best advice I could give them. He will do his best to save every marriage. He states that there are reasons that those marriages have a much lower success rate than other marriages.

The reasons that these two people were doing things out of order and all willy nilly is precisely BECAUSE they were an affariage. WS's are crazy. They don't seem to have a good sense of reality. It is sad that ONE child has come from this. Maybe they should go their separate ways BEFORE anymore are born.

If you want to give them the knowledge, that is up to you. That knowledge will come with the warts too, like affairages don't tend to last. Best of luck with your decision.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
A
OP Offline
A
Hi Scotty,

Unfortunately I didn't know about this site when the affair was happening (it started about 4 years ago) or even shortly afterwards. I honestly didn't know about the affair at all until a few weeks after our friend and his ex had broken up and he confessed to my husband. I have told the XBW about this site and if she does find herself in a new relationship I'll make sure she gets the material.

I totally hear you about ignoring those who come in here an affairage because of what they've done to the other spouses. I wouldn't care about helping them save their marriage either but I feel bad about that since there is a child in the middle of all this mess. And when I say to myself, "It's their problem. They got themselves here, let them fix it", I guess I feel like I'm a heartless person because of the kid factor. But you make a good point. Maybe they SHOULD separate before there are ANYMORE victims.

We may see them next week and perhaps I'll feel it out then. If she brings up their relationship, I may offer her a book title and judge her response.

aBetterMe

Me 33
DH 35

M
M

Who would do that?

Careful, Chrisner...it's not my home town, but I'm up there all the time. cool

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

S
S
My thoughts:

There are kids, and also the Harleys do try to help people in affairages save the relationship.

OTOH, I do see your point about not wanting to share the site for personal reasons.

There are some cold facts that they need to know about, one way or the other, about their marriage, their past, and their future if they expect any hope of making anything out of what they have done.

Certainly having MB materials won't hurt them. I wonder, however, how much two waywards would ever consider what the Harleys have to say about their situation as being applicable to them? Since they are having difficulty at this point, my thoughts are that they are both still likely in the wayward mindset, and believe that THEIR AFFAIR is UNIQUE and SPECIAL.

Makes me wonder if they would look at the books and information and believe it did not apply "to their situation". Waywards tend to believe in their own special place in the world.

It might be worth a try, but don't hold out special hope. Sounds to me like the affairage is true to form, and their selfishness and taker behavior has landed them right back at square one.

Truly, they have carried the very thing that was wrong in the previous marriages right into this one:

themselves.

SB

Lucky to be where I am, in a safe place to get marriage-related support.
Recovered.
Happy.
Most recent D-day Fall 2005
Our new marriage began that day. Not easily, but it did happen.
T
T
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

Who would do that?

**snort** grin

I'm thinking Cleve, returning to his own property...dunno about anybody else, though.

tl

M
M
Originally Posted by thndrnltng
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

Who would do that?

**snort** grin

I'm thinking Cleve, returning to his own property...dunno about anybody else, though.

tl

People, people, people! Okay, so the Browns suck! And yes, LeBron couldn't wait to bolt to Miami! And yes, the winters suck!

But I'll let you in on a little secret: Sportsman's Deli. The reuben will convince you that there is a God who loves us and wants us to be happy.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

E
E
My ex husband married his ow the day after our divorce was final and he became a father three months later. Almost on my birthday btw.

They had an affairage. And yes it did NOT last in any way. No way at all. He began cheating on her. Yes, they have a beautiful daughter, whom I do love and the child is ALWAYS innocent, but sadly, is subject to the actions and issues that always happens when a ws remarries his affair partner WITHOUT having any remorse. Real remorse. But then again, real remorse would tell them to turn away from that situation and sin right?

I'm sorry, but I don't see things bright for them. They can try counseling, but what is to really say for a union which is built upon quicksand? It simply sinks slowly.

Darth (my ol' nickname my wayward beyond wayward playboy ex) and his honey are divorcing. Darth also lost all his net worth. He never got it.

Marry a cheater? Especially if you are the other man or woman? You know the ending even before their affairage "love" story is even written.

I think I have the mileage to be able to make such assertions.

Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right. ~Jane Goodall
E
E

Who would do that?

I drove to Cleveland to take a class once. I rented a Pontiac G8. The drive was fun, the class was useful. Cleveland was, well Cleveland.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation