Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
Hi Everyone,

I just found out a friend of mine and her husband of 10 years have separated. I want to send her one of Dr. H's books as a gift and introduce her to the concepts here, but I wanted your opinion as to which would be best to send. I don't think there is an affair, but as we all know, you never know. I was thinking "Fall In Love, Stay In Love".

Which book should I give her?

Thanks!
aBetterME

Last edited by aBetterMe; 10/14/10 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling

aBetterMe

Me 33
DH 35
Together 14 years, married 12
Two "furry children" (one cat & one dog)

MB has changed me and changed my life. I am becoming a better person for it, and building a better marriage. MB principles can truly help you create the love and the life you want.
T
T
I believe that before any book can be recommended, one would have to know the reason for the breakup.

BS me 55yrs
WH 59 yrs
M 34 yrs 6/26/2010
DD 25
D Day May 5, 2010
NC 5/12/2010
Duration of affair 5 years, but other affairs discovered on D Day
D
D
...but barring all else, "Fall In Love, Stay In Love" is the best Harley book. It covers everything in just the right depth, and really focuses more on the four Intimate Emotional Needs than the others. Dr. Harley recognized after seventeen years of working his system that meeting those four needs above all others most sustain the feeling of love in a couple.

Those needs are:
* Affection
* Sexual Fulfillment
* Recreational Companionship
* Intimate Conversation

By meeting those four needs, and only and exclusively meeting them with your spouse, you help affair-proof your marriage and strengthen it enormously. It's our favorite of the five we've read.

Doormat_No_More
(Formerly Barnboy)
Original thread lost in the forum purge of '09.
4 months after D-Day
1 year after D-Day
Two Years Later
Four Years Later
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks DNM. I agree, so I think I'll send that one.

Teaser,

I think the reason for the breakup is general neglect of the marriage and life stresses. They've had some financial struggles, a still born child and new baby over the last 3 years. I think that just like my husband and I did, they lack the basic skills Dr. H teaches to stay connected. MB has helped my marriage so much, I want to give them an opportunity to use the information as well.

Thanks smile

aBetterMe

aBetterMe

Me 33
DH 35
Together 14 years, married 12
Two "furry children" (one cat & one dog)

MB has changed me and changed my life. I am becoming a better person for it, and building a better marriage. MB principles can truly help you create the love and the life you want.
D
D
Yeah, but 4 out of 5 divorces involve adultery by one of the partners. It's a better-than-even bet that they're in that camp, but keeping it a secret for one reason or another.

Source: One of Dr. Harley's videos, I forget which. He discusses that of the 60% divorce rate, 80% of them involve adultery, but in less than half of those cases are both spouses aware adultery is involved. One of them is left thinking things just "didn't work out", not knowing their spouse cheated and that is why things didn't work out...

Doormat_No_More
(Formerly Barnboy)
Original thread lost in the forum purge of '09.
4 months after D-Day
1 year after D-Day
Two Years Later
Four Years Later

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (NewEveryDay), 1,357 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation