Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 31 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 30 31
NewEveryDay #2450392 12/09/10 01:41 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
Thanks, Travis.

B has been a rock for me. He left to fly cross country to LA Monday morning, got the news Monday afternoon, got on a red-eye that night, and was back to take care of the kids Tuesday morning. He even offered to stay with us, so I could have the kids close by. I didn't expect to have that kind of support, and am grateful for it.

The whole thing is still just so unbelievably sad. They're still investigating, but even with a 25K reward, no leads yet.

My Dad was such a warm, friendly guy. Here's what two folks posted about him

Oh no! So shocking NED! I am so sorry. I don't have the words.

NewEveryDay #2450407 12/09/10 02:12 PM
M
M
My day was shot and killed yesterday. He was delivering mail on his route, as usual, when someone shot him multiple times in the chest, took his mail truck, and dumped it a block away. There is an investigation to find out who did this.

My stepbrother is just 13. I can't imagine, him growing up without the Dad he had his whole life.

If you google "mail carrier shot," that's him. Any thoughts and prayers appreciated.

Good grief, NED, I am so sorry!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2450412 12/09/10 02:27 PM
A
A
What nice things those customers/friends had to say about your dad, NED. He sounds like a lovely person indeed. It's so sad that such a good person was taken away far too soon. frown

Praying for peace and comfort for your family and all who knew and loved your father.

Lori

VERY HAPPY! FBS/FWS; 47yo; M-29 yrs.; DS-26,DD-21; our affairs: 1990-'96
at peace #2452974 12/16/10 12:56 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Thanks, Lori, markos, cwmi, sw, I appreciate the prayers. We're hanging in there.

I was in the local news this evening, in two stories about the continued search for the person responsible.

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21003016698958/

Other story

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
NewEveryDay #2453002 12/16/10 08:18 AM
N
OP Offline
N
My divorce went through, I did a name change to my maiden name as part of the paperwork, but didn't file to change my name with Social Security, driver license, passport yet. My Dad was killed, and they haven't found the guy yet, so I feel safer for the time being keeping my married name as my name on the house title, mortgage, and stuff, because all those records are public where I live. Can I leave my name as-is for the time being, or would I need to legally change back to my married name?

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
NewEveryDay #2453019 12/16/10 09:07 AM
S
S

Thanks for sharing this NED. My heart breaks for your family.

Thanks, Lori, markos, cwmi, sw, I appreciate the prayers. We're hanging in there.

I was in the local news this evening, in two stories about the continued search for the person responsible.

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21003016698958/

Other story

H
H
NED, first off, so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine how you feel when it comes out of the blue like that. My sincere condolences to everyone in your family. As we say in my tribe, Baruch Dayan Ha'Emet.

Second, I am not your lawyer, this is just my layman's reaction, and if you want legal advice you should contact a lawyer in your jurisdiction to find out the actual legal rules.

That said, I think you can continue to use the old name for a while if that keeps you safer. The person in the office next to me just got married and changed her name. I overheard many of her phone calls trying to get the name confusion straightened out. She had to address each item separately, and in a particular order. I think if you leave your married name at Social Security, you will find everyone else perfectly willing to deal with you under that name. So unless you are planning to apply for SS benefits sometime soon (and at your age I sure hope not), then I don't think you will have any problems.

FWIW, my wife was being stalked when we bought our house here in CT. I bought the house in the name of a trust so we could maintain confidentiality. If anyone ever suggests that you need to get your married name off the title, you can always deed the property to someone else as trustee to maintain your privacy. I needed a mortgage to buy the house, and after dealing with a few questions from the bank, they were willing to allow me to borrow the money and take title in the trust. I can walk you through how that worked if it ever becomes relevant.

Let me know if you need anything else.

When you can see it coming, duck!
B
B
I am sorry about your dad...

Bubbles4U #2453458 12/17/10 08:50 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Thanks guys, for the support. It makes a huge difference having a caring community of family and friends.

I'm glad I can leave the SS as it isfor the time being.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
NewEveryDay #2459743 01/04/11 08:21 AM
N
OP Offline
N
No advances in the investigation looking for the guy who shot my Dad. The kids and I are doing okay.

B and I are settling into a routine with the visitation and stuff. He got a permanent offer with the company he's been doing consulting work for, where he could continue to live here, and go stay out of town 3 days a week. I think they're willing to keep him on as a consultant, and he hasn't accepted the offer yet.

The company would be willing to have him work in their SoCal office, and B was frustrated with me that I am not giving this the consideration he thought I should, moving out there with him, now that he has a firm offer. Because back in the day, before the divorce, I had said if he had a permanent job offer there I would have been willing to move. A better Plan B would have been good here, than to have these conversations when I'm not enthusiastic about it.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
NewEveryDay #2501025 04/22/11 08:45 AM
N
OP Offline
N
I haven't updated in a while, not much new to report. No one has been arrested in my Dad's case. Parenting has gotten somewhat more difficult, which was unexpected because my kids were always very easy, but I guess we were all just stretched to our limits until we fractured to an extent. But nothing that we can't handle. I did a short term Plan B, and it didn't bring reconciliation, but it brought more peace, so I'm grateful. They say Plan A is the reality-bringer, and I agree with that, and I think Plan B helped in that too. I definitely feel in a much better spot than before I got here, when it was a big struggle to find any peace.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
NewEveryDay #2501063 04/22/11 11:38 AM
S
S
I haven't updated in a while, not much new to report. No one has been arrested in my Dad's case. Parenting has gotten somewhat more difficult, which was unexpected because my kids were always very easy, but I guess we were all just stretched to our limits until we fractured to an extent. But nothing that we can't handle. I did a short term Plan B, and it didn't bring reconciliation, but it brought more peace, so I'm grateful. They say Plan A is the reality-bringer, and I agree with that, and I think Plan B helped in that too. I definitely feel in a much better spot than before I got here, when it was a big struggle to find any peace.

So sorry they haven't found the guy who murdered your father. That is so horrible. frown

I can totally relate to the kids getting harder....my son was always so easy and such a joy. Now, even when I handle him correctly he exhausts me. I do think part of it is him being 11 now.

N
OP Offline
N
SW, it started for my OD when she was 11, and she didn't tell us, we didn't know how bad it was until December after this happened with my Dad. I hate to say this but at least your son is obvious, so you knew to get him help. I mistakenly thought my DD was doing great the whole time. I guess she gets that from me, good at pretending to be okay. At least now she's getting help.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
NewEveryDay #2501196 04/22/11 06:03 PM
N
OP Offline
N
**edit**

Last edited by Fireproof; 04/27/11 12:05 AM. Reason: TOS personal attack

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
NewEveryDay #2501206 04/22/11 06:32 PM
C
C
Ned, it pains me to read this last post. Please reconsider it.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
NewEveryDay #2501225 04/22/11 07:38 PM
S
S
SW, it started for my OD when she was 11, and she didn't tell us, we didn't know how bad it was until December after this happened with my Dad. I hate to say this but at least your son is obvious, so you knew to get him help. I mistakenly thought my DD was doing great the whole time. I guess she gets that from me, good at pretending to be okay. At least now she's getting help.

My son has always been very open with me. Still is, discussing girls and biology and how he is feeling. I love him like crazy and I suppose that is why he exhausts me. I've been his only parent (emotionally) for all intents and purposes for 11 years--with the last two being particularly brutal.

If you read my thread, the update, you can see that XH is backing off on his hard nose approach to ds and that is helpig A LOT. Also, XH moving back toward his normal pattern of the absent parent. This is his weekend but he skipped to go on a 4 wheeler ride. Ds is thrilled to get to stay home. Here now with a friend over playing playstation. I asked ds the other day (when he was saying once again that he didn't want to go to his dad's) if it was in his control how much would he want to see his dad. He thought for a while and said twice a week for dinner. He hates to spend the night and he hates going back on Sunday afternoon when the rest of his world is relaxing after services and having fun. Funny because that twice a week for dinner really would translate to what his relationship was with his dad pre-seperation. I can't get all that across to XH though and won't try. I think he has spent the two years since seperation trying to make up (or look good, I don't know) for the previous 9 years that he was so uninvolved.

So we are very much dealing with the fall out. Good news he is slowly bonding with dh and that is good. Dh is a good man who handles his own sons very well...especially with the heartbreak he feels at being seperated from them through no fault of his own. I use his stellar example as a guide to my own behavior. Sometimes he has a difficult time with the lack of relationship between ds and XH...from two standpoints...he lost his own father to death at age 12 and then he lost his boys to divorce. So he is jealous of the opportunity XH and ds have...I've tried to explain to him not all father's (him and his father) are created equal...and we can't force ds to feel for his father what he doesn't feel. That is on XH. He did it.

Sorry to t/j! How old is your dd now? Is she in counseling?

NewEveryDay #2501479 04/23/11 11:39 PM
M
M
Ned, so sorry to hear about your father. Hard to phathom.

D-yr fall 06-fall 07
Separated 10/2010
Him-several affairs, last one 3/2011
Divorced filed 3/2011, final 3/2012

Formerly "Mopey".
http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2013149&page=1

After a 4 yr FR, it became CLEAR to me of what you can look for in a FR. And that is the absence of POJA, and/or if your spouse tramples on your boundaries. If someone is not willing to do POJA with you, and they don't respect your boundaries, imo, the relationship is doomed.
MyJourney #2501595 04/24/11 08:14 PM
N
OP Offline
N
cwmi, thanks for keeping up with me, I appreciate it. I'm not sure what you want me to reconsider, maybe that I'm speculating on others' families, folks I don't know? Let me keep it in the "I" then. I know that it "takes what it takes". But I wish it didn't take that many years of raising my kids in that level of often-daily strife before I was willing to do what it took to follow through my obligation to raise them in a peaceful home. I knew before DD10 was born what she was coming home to. I planned to leave while I was pregnant, because of the low point we had then, but didn't follow through. OD sometimes remarks to me that she wishes we had divorced long ago. I do think about reconciling sometimes anyways, and I guess that's normal, too.

SW, that's tough, dealing with the inconsistencies. I'm glad that your H can identify with your son that way. It puts it in perspective, divorce is sad, but at least they still have each other now, unlike after a death. I don't consider that a t/j, it helps hearing others' experiences.

OD is 15, YD 10. My older one is in counseling now, and goes to a group. She's doing okay now, but I need to keep vigilant, not assume tomorrow that it is a good day for her just because today is.

MJ, thanks for the condolences. I was in shock for a while, and then it really all started to hit me again. I'm grateful to have a big family here, we got together for Easter today.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
NewEveryDay #2501653 04/25/11 06:39 AM
C
C
Ned, I was referring to offering advice to people when you feel:
If I were her I'd get out now while the youngest is a baby and the other kids are young enough that they'll forget it mostly.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2501676 04/25/11 08:20 AM
N
OP Offline
N
On their threads, I gave the best advice I could offer to support their marriage. Posted the relevant article, encouraged them to do some things that would make their best time of the week, time with each other. I didn't post to her to get the heck out. She gets enough of that in real life, or he wouldn't be forbidding her to talk to her friend about their issues anymore. Telling folks to get out doesn't make them ready. Trying a program, getting some positive momentum, seeing that a better life is possible, with or without your spouse, that's what helps folks let go if that's what's appropriate.

If you were still in the same spot as when you got here, that same runaway state of conflict I was in when I got here, all that back-stabbing and put your chair here or it's a big knock-down drag-out fight, I'd still think the same way about your situation, cwmi. But it sounds like your family has found a more peaceful life. Every kid deserves that, right? What's the point of being married? Not to make your kids' lives miserable while shortening your own.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Page 10 of 31 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation