Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 30 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 29 30
S
S
Total, you seem to be catching onto this Plan A stuff real nicely.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks, Scotty. It's taken me long enough to figure it out.

BS(me)- 44
WS- 41
D-day #1- (EA) 08/02/2010
D-day #2- (PA) 09/24/2010
WS moved out- 11/11/2010
NC- 02/21/2011
Plan A
S
S
Maybe that's another reason why BH's have 6 months for Plan A, it's the learning curve. wink

Okay OKAY. I was only KIDDING.

You ARE wielding a stick in your Plan A as well thought right? Just make sure you don't do a full carrot with no stick or it could cross the line into Plan Doormat. Just when you thought you were getting it(and you ARE) I throw you a curve ball.

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
T
OP Offline
T
Good point. Wielding the stick by allowing the weight of WS' choices to fall squarely on her shoulders. Financial difficulties, missing the kids, missing out on holiday stuff. We are carrying on with our lives. Trying to back off on contact a little, not in pursuit, then being careful to avoid LB's when in contact. Also, letting her know when something she does or says is hurtful, but in a respectful and non-judgmental way. It is very difficult to balance the carrot and the stick, and all of this being good to her is natural and normal for me anyway, so I am always in danger of Plan Doormat. I am open to suggestions.

BS(me)- 44
WS- 41
WS moved out- 11/11/2010
NC- 02/21/2011
Plan A
T
OP Offline
T
Talking to DD18 tonight when she came home from work. She said "I feel like my mom is dead." Heartbreaking.

BS(me)- 44
WS- 41
WS moved out- 11/11/2010
NC- 02/21/2011
Plan A
S
S
It IS heartbreaking and at the same time, SPOT ON. Waywards are but a shell of themselves. To everyone who loves them, they are a different person. Hug that DD18 and let her know that you understand.

Sounds like you have a good grasp on Plan A. Keep it going.

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
T
OP Offline
T
Truer words have never been spoken- she is a shell of her former self, and I wonder if she'll ever be back. DD18 is very perceptive. She says WS is acting just like a middle-school teenager- self-absorbed, obsessed with appearance and what others think of them, unable to think two steps ahead, thinking only of themselves. This is such a 180, and so totally out of character for WS, that it is quite shocking to watch.

BS(me)- 44
WS- 41
WS moved out- 11/11/2010
NC- 02/21/2011
Plan A
T
OP Offline
T
Just got a nice thank you note email from WS for bringing her the medicine & OJ last night. Wow, I almost fainted. The expressions of gratitude have been almost non-existent since all of this started. Do I sense a crack in the wall that she has erected between us? Who knows, but it feels good to be appreciated just the same. No expectations, just enjoying the moment.

BS(me)- 44
WS- 41
WS moved out- 11/11/2010
NC- 02/21/2011
Plan A
J
J
TD,

How is your 18 yr old doing? Is she handling all of this well or does she need some guidance?

JL

T
OP Offline
T
She is handling it reasonably well, but she is somewhat bitter. She says she is not bitter about the A, but about the way WS treats her now. She is not getting the attention she needs, obviously, because WS is not living with us. When she does visit with her, she wants to unload all of her 18-yo problems on WS, and WS is very inwardly-focused, so she doesn't want to hear all of that. DD18 says she feels like WS thinks she is in competition with her. Those two have always clashed, but it is much worse now. DD18 is trying to act as if it doesn't bother her, but she may actually be taking things harder than her younger siblings. She and I have always been quite close though, and I spend a tremendous amount of time listening to her. WS questions all of the kids to find out what I am saying to them. She is under the impression that I am plotting to "turn them against her". Nothing could be further from the truth. I have expressed to WS on more than one occasion that she is not the enemy here. The A is the enemy, and I will do anything and everything within my power to kill the A.

BS(me)- 44
WS- 41
WS moved out- 11/11/2010
NC- 02/21/2011
Plan A
H
H
Originally Posted by totaldisbelief
She is handling it reasonably well, but she is somewhat bitter. She says she is not bitter about the A, but about the way WS treats her now. She is not getting the attention she needs, obviously, because WS is not living with us. When she does visit with her, she wants to unload all of her 18-yo problems on WS, and WS is very inwardly-focused, so she doesn't want to hear all of that. DD18 says she feels like WS thinks she is in competition with her. Those two have always clashed, but it is much worse now. DD18 is trying to act as if it doesn't bother her, but she may actually be taking things harder than her younger siblings. She and I have always been quite close though, and I spend a tremendous amount of time listening to her. WS questions all of the kids to find out what I am saying to them. She is under the impression that I am plotting to "turn them against her". Nothing could be further from the truth. I have expressed to WS on more than one occasion that she is not the enemy here. The A is the enemy, and I will do anything and everything within my power to kill the A.

Bingo!

It's her choices and actions costing her. Nothing that you do.

If you don't want your friends and family to know that you are a slimy, selfish cheater... well, then don't be a slimy, selfish cheater!

doh2

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
T
OP Offline
T
Quiet couple of days- not much interaction with WS. Going to church Christmas party together tomorrow night. I did send her a funny picture yesterday and she commented that it was hard to laugh because she was feeling kind of down. (Withdrawal? Missing kids? Reality setting in?) Who knows? I do know that she is really unhappy about not being able to be at home with DD11 while she is home sick. She was a SAHM for many years, and then worked with me part-time, so she is accustomed to always being home to take care of her babies when they are not feeling well. I went home and checked on DD11 yesterday. She was looking kind of puny, so I took a picture of her with my phone and emailed it to WS at work. She emailed me back, "Please give her hugs & kisses for me." (I'm thinking, if you would pull your head out, you could be at home with her right now.)My best hope is that her love for the kids will eventually cut thru the fog. Meanwhile, full-throttle Plan A.

BS(me)- 44
WS- 41
WS moved out- 11/11/2010
NC- 02/21/2011
Plan A
S
S
Remember Total, it is all about the pebbles being thrown into the stream. You might not see it, but as they begin to stack on top of each other they get closer to the surface. Let the pebbles keep building up and don't think about them. laugh

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
T
OP Offline
T
I've read the analogy of the rocks in the stream before, and I love it. It really does describe exactly how it is.

BS(me)- 44
WS- 41
WS moved out- 11/11/2010
NC- 02/21/2011
Plan A
S
S
Another thing that I constantly tell myself when I start to wonder is, "I may not win every battle but I WILL win the WAR." Doesn't mean I will end up with a recovered marriage but "I" WILL be recovered. laugh

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
T
OP Offline
T
I like that- it's not about the battles, it's about the war. I have been keeping myself busy with an exhaustive list of home improvement projects. I say I am fixing up the house for my new wife, whether that is WS or someone else. I even told that one to MIL. She laughed and said "that's right".

BS(me)- 44
WS- 41
WS moved out- 11/11/2010
NC- 02/21/2011
Plan A
R
R
TD, I just got back to my PC, but sounds like you are having some progress in the right direction. Good to hear it man, keep it going!

FBH,Dad
No half measures, in anything.
H
H
Originally Posted by totaldisbelief
I like that- it's not about the battles, it's about the war. I have been keeping myself busy with an exhaustive list of home improvement projects. I say I am fixing up the house for my new wife, whether that is WS or someone else. I even told that one to MIL. She laughed and said "that's right".

Think about that statement.

She don't know what she's giving up, brother.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for all of the support. It is an absolute lifesaver to be able to come here and share this, as no one who hasn't been here can truly understand.

WS and I will be taking the kids to the Christmas party at church tonight. Should be some good opportunities for LB$ deposits.

WS was asked to make stuffing and a dessert for the party, and she asked me, half-jokingly, if I would like to help her out with the dessert. "You can just buy something pre-made to take", she says. I say, "Of course I'll take care of it, don't even worry about it." Yesterday afternoon she calls and asks me if I remembered to pick up a dessert for the party. I said, "Oh yeah, the kids and I are going to make Christmas cupcakes tonight. I may call you if I get into trouble." She laughed.

So last night, DS10, DD11 and I make the cupcakes. WS calls to talk to the kids around bedtime. I talk to her briefly and say, "I've got to frost all of these cupcakes." She says, yeah, I've got to make my stuffing, too." So, right before bed, I took a picture of the completed cupcakes, emailed it to her with a message- "Cupcakes frosted, mission completed, sweet dreams." Another example of something that we would be doing together with the kids under normal circumstances. Baking with the kids is one of her favorite pastimes. I hope she is realizing all of the experiences that she is missing out on.

BS(me)- 44
WS- 41
WS moved out- 11/11/2010
NC- 02/21/2011
Plan A
M
M
TD, you're my official Poster Boy For Plan A. grin

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

Page 15 of 30 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 476 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation