Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
W
I have always been the nice guy too Stuck, never challenging people either. I am 3 months past the NC moment between my wife and the OM.

My resentment is becoming manageable once I spoke to the OM on the phone and stood up for myself and my marriage. I also called the OM's wife. We talked for almost 2 hours. The affair was sunk the moment I exposed it to the OM's wife. She exposed it to their kids. It was like a domino effect. Once my wife saw the light of day, she felt compelled to call the OM's wife and apologize. At that point, the OM was the odd man out. He was taking nukes from every angle.

I began giving my wife the emotional needs I had never given her, and I held firm that they could never contact each other again. My resentment is subsiding, and I am proud of myself for standing up for ME! And I know my wife is proud to be with a man who fought for her, me, and our marriage.

It doesn't feel comfortable making tidal waves, but trust me, you will feel very good about yourself regardless of how everything turns out in the end. She has risked everything with you, and although you want to save what you have, you must be willing to risk everything too. If exposure causes the end of your relationship, then you have to realize you merely accelerated what was going to happen anyway.

Expose, then man up for the battle that awaits you. I did it. You can too. It is never wrong to fight for someone you love.

Me: FBH (2010) and FWH (1996): 40
Her: FWW and FBW: 40

2011: In recovery

A's are merely chocolate-covered cancer lollipops.
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Wisertoday
Expose, then man up for the battle that awaits you. I did it. You can too. It is never wrong to fight for someone you love.

This is awesome advice. I have worked to be less passive, and more of a fighter for my marriage... and I have a long ways to go. A LONG ways go go. I was never sure how to fight for my marriage, never sure how to stand up for it. I was always the passive one in this relationship, and that's a problem.

I have to prove to you guys that I CAN be that fighter. More so, I need to prove it to myself. Time to man up.

Words are not enough...

BS: Me, 27
WS: Her, 24
EA: October
PA: 11/22/10
Moved out 12/3/10
Moved back in mid-January.

In tentative recovery. Is that the sun I see, breaking through the fog?
B
B
At some point you have to do what is best for yourself. You can�t make her stop by being sweet and nice. Some of us have been down that road.
You need to take a stand for YOURSELF!! Believe me you will regret it if you don�t. You�re going to look back on this in a few years and want to kick yourself for not standing up and making yourself heard. You don�t realize it now but trust me.
I�m not trying to throw salt on your wounds, I�m just telling you out my own experience. If you take a stand, even if your marriage fails, in the end you will respect yourself a lot more. Good luck.

Formerly timetofly.

I thought that a change was in order to start the new year. It was time for me to fly after all.
A
A
Originally Posted by StuckWaiting
So how do I demand respect without being a jerk? By...exposing OM to his family, and maybe moving back in?

I do totally understand why she's lost my respect for me. And I've lost respect for myself, too.

Demanding respect is not something I've ever been good at, unfortunately...

Don't ask redundant questions to buy time, just to stave off doing what you know needs to be done.

You have ALL the information and answers you need in earlier posts. Don't ask us to repeat ourselves.

Go be a man.

Formerly ConfuzedHusband
BH
WW (Now XW)
Married 4 years, No children.
EA/PA from 2/2008 to 5/2008.
DDay: 5/17/2008 - Separated 6/1/2008 - Filed 8/3/2008
Divorce final 3/2009.

Now in a committed relationship with a woman of character who loves me so much better and deeper than I ever dreamed possible. I had no idea what I was missing out on and am so grateful God gave me a free "second chance" at love and life.
W
W
You can't ease your way into taking a stand. You have the weapons. We told you how to use them. Give yourself the gift of self-respect for Christmas.

Now get in the fight!

Me: FBH (2010) and FWH (1996): 40
Her: FWW and FBW: 40

2011: In recovery

A's are merely chocolate-covered cancer lollipops.
C
C
MOVE BACK IN
EXPOSE

@Stuck - Those are the priorities. Get those done NOW!

All this other crap about respect. Who cares right now. Show your wife that you are willing to FIGHT FOR YOUR MARRIAGE. That will get respect.

C
C
@StuckWaiting -

Are you waiting for divorce? Expose and move back in. You won't be stuck anymore.

P
P
Get UN-STUCK!

Man up and do something!

You can do it! What's worse - standing around and not do anything and let this crumble or knowing that YOU did all you could to save it?

Do it!

Me - 46
Wife - 43
2 x DD
Married 18 yrs - known each other for 22 yrs
Woke up 12/2009 and realized I was an idiot for neglecting my WIFE!
J
J
Stuck,

I am going to repeat what I believe I told you before by quoting once again my college football coach.
Don't just stand there boy, do something wrong right once in your life.

Your lack of action is killing this and you. Taking action does not have to be text book, but it needs to take place. You have the info, use it. Even if you make a mistake or two you will be doing better than before. Much better to seek forgiveness than permission son, do it.

I just went to see True Grit. Was reluctant as I am a diehard John Wayne fan. Nobody is better than "the Duke". Anyway there is a line in this movie that reminded me of a line is The Duke's move called the Shootest. Ron Howard is asking the old Gunfighter, Wayne, how he was so successful and better than many others. He responded, "I was willing, many were not."

Stuck, you will prevail if you are "willing" to take whatever comes to fight for your marriage.

Please think about this.

God Bless,

JL

P
P
Grab that WishBone - give it a yank - then put the BackBone in it's place!

Have courage that no matter what - things will be ok!

Me - 46
Wife - 43
2 x DD
S
OP Offline
S
Hey everyone... thought it was time for an update, for all of you who were so helpful before the holidays. It was an interesting, and difficult, couple of weeks. A lot happened so I'll try to keep it short as possible.

My WW and I took an impromptu vacation over Christmas, for 2 days, just to see if there was any spark left. There was. We had fun, and I intentionally tried to compartmentalize all my feelings so I could have a good trip and remind her that our relationship DID have good times.

Several days after the trip, knowing she was still in contact with the OM, I went NC. I told her it was too painful to be in this limbo, and I needed to cut myself off from her to heal. She understood, but within hours was sending me teary text messages. I stood my ground as best I could and didn't talk to her for a few days... and minimally over the next few weeks, despite a few messages and e-mails saying she couldn't imagine life without me. This was incredibly strengthening for me... and I found myself in kind of a "zen" state where I was doing what was best for me, and it felt good.

The majority of my contact with her for those few weeks was only to tell her that R was possible if and only if she went NC with OM. It wasn't easy, because I DID miss her.

And then things changed when her cousin died in a car accident last week. It shook her. She broke down and everything came out. She did a complete 180, I got every nitty-gritty detail... told me she was a horrible person and couldn't imagine a future without me and couldn't believe she was capable of doing what she had done. She said she would go NC with the OM and cut him out completely, and tell me if he ever tried to contact her again (which he had been doing regularly despite her prior efforts at cutting him off). She's been exceedingly sweet and remorseful. I've even gone off at her (not excessively, but brutal honesty) and she hasn't been defensive at all.

I'm in the process of moving back into the house. She knows if anything else happens, SHE is the one who is leaving the house, because I've made it clear if anybody should be living in a dingy room at a friend's house, it sure ain't me. OM sent her a text message yesterday afternoon, which she offered up to me willingly.

She also knows I'm not fully on board with R yet, just that I need to move back in as a first step, and we'll go from there. I've made it very clear the burden is on HER if she wants to stay in the house and repair the damage she has done. I'm dealing with the anger and hurt of knowing all the details now, but I know that was a first step towards healing.

Maybe I didn't do things perfectly. Maybe I screwed things up. But I feel ok today, because I'm going to have my house back, with my W in it for the time being, and there is hope... and if she makes clear that she can't handle the burden of repairing our marriage, I'll have my house and a shred of dignity.

Moved out 12/3/10

P
P
Time to change HER phone numbers and email addresses!

Give her a little help in keeping slimy OM from even making an attempt at contacting her.

Has she written an NC letter for you to mail yet?

Well done btw!!!

Keep it up and keep holding to the MB principles.

Last edited by Powerbane; 01/18/11 04:01 PM.

Me - 46
Wife - 43
2 x DD
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the encouragement! She hasn't written a finalized NC letter yet--I will bring that up tonight.

It's a little problematic that, because of her profession, she's easily accessible... changing her phone number is a possibility, and she'll have to block him on Facebook, but she's easy to get ahold of if anyone REALLY wants to try. This will be an obstacle for us. But anything I can do to keep persistent slimeball (my nickname for him is GDMFAHDBAG, 10 points if anyone can guess the acronym...) from getting up in WS's business.

I gotta keep being strong and not putting up with any BS.

Moved out 12/3/10

P
P
You should also be able to block his known numbers and if he gets through that then start logging each attempt and get a Restraining Order placed against him or something like harassment or stalking charges levied against him.

Have you had your own discussion with GDMFAHDBAG?? (BTW I guessed the first half and yes it's funny but sad that this slime is like this)

Other than this - Have you given much thought ot what your next steps are? You've made a huge step by moving back in, but then what?

Odds are she is going to have some triggers that will come up from time to time. Be thinking about EP (Extraordinary Precautions) that she needs to put in place to alert you so you can help her through them.

Good LUCK!

Me - 46
Wife - 43
2 x DD
S
OP Offline
S
I do plan to block his number soon--I hope it doesn't come to a restraining order, but I'm definitely prepared to go that route. He was so persistent I wouldn't be surprised if we have to.

As far as next steps go... we have plans to go to counseling. We had a MC we went to several years ago to work on some basic things, but might find a new one who can be a little more "harsh" with us. We are trying to date a little bit--get back to the roots of the relationship and remember why we originally had so much fun and wanted to get married.

I absolutely believe there will be triggers for her... I will need to consider what kind of EP she'll need. In fact, getting the text message from him several days ago was a trigger that she struggled with. I think we're going to be making some lists--lists of our needs, lists of our triggers, lists of boundaries.

I know this will be a long road, and I'm trying not to be too optimistic. Despite my eagerness to make it work, I know that I do have a lot of resentment built up over this that I need to overcome in order to be a qualified husband.

Moved out 12/3/10

M
M
Still, this is very good news, but I'm a little concerned that you are setting the bar so low that you will soon be dealing with a false recovery. Your WW is at a low point right now, where it may be easy to make bright promises. You've got to really help her solidify this new resolve of hers. She's going to need your help to do this. Don't fail her.

I do plan to block his number soon
Not good enough by half. Do it NOW. Change your numbers if blocking doesn't work.

Get rid of FB. She made it just fine without it, didn't she?

There are a lot of famous and well-known people out there in the teaching world, Stuck. They are able to keep the general public away. She may need to alter her job to eliminate the possibility of contact with OM.

As far as next steps go... we have plans to go to counseling.
Can you get an appointment with the Harleys? Obviously your previous MC was of little value.

We are trying to date a little bit
I'm sorry, Stuck, but what does this mean? I thought you were moving back into the house? What do you mean, you're 'trying' to date 'a little bit'??

Stuck, I'm sensing no real plan, here. What is your plan to rebuild this marriage?

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

S
OP Offline
S
Well. MB, let me answer your questions... and say that perhaps you're right, as I'm having a lot of doubts this morning. I may be setting the bar too low in my eagerness to make our M work.

My comment on "trying to date a little bit" just meant we were going to go on date nights, have fun together, spend more time doing things we enjoy with each other instead of perpetually slogging through the swamp of this disaster. Depositing points into the love bank, instead of constantly removing them via difficult conversations. I'm moved back into the house, though I've still spent a handful of nights at a friend's house when things get too emotional or strained. Maybe that's not good, but it is what it is.

However...she is resisting blocking his number. She's resisting transparency because, in her absolute stubbornness she "doesn't want to feel controlled" and because she chafes so hard against any restrictions to her "freedom."

She has told me (and I have verified by checking phone records) that she and him have text messaged each other twice in the last week--one or two messages each time. Yesterday she said she's reluctant to cut him completely out of her life, when she's still not sure that we can make it work. Of course, I told her there is NO chance we can make it work while he's still in the picture AT ALL... which she says she understands, but she apparently is not 100% committed to R.

Getting rid of FB is an option, but not a very good one--it's, in fact, pretty important to her career. Blocking him is a no-brainer, which last night she said she will do.

I would love to talk to Dr. Harley, but unfortunately finances are not such that it would be a struggle to even afford 1 session. I think he could talk some sense into her, because at this point she doesn't seem to put any stock in what I say, so it's hard for me to get through to her. We are going to start going to MC, hopefully this week.

The biggest obstacle right now, IMO, is her lack of respect for me. The beginning of our marriage started with me making some pretty big mistakes. Huge, even. Among other things, I feared my friends & family wouldn't accept that I was getting married so quickly so I hid our plans from them while I tried to "ease them in" and it backfired horribly. I regret it deeply, and I understand why she lost respect for me, but she apparently struggled to ever get over that. She doesn't respect me now, and her vague claims that I "need to be a man" and "demand respect from everyone" don't give me enough guidance to actually earn her respect back. On top of this, the fact that I exposed the A to her family, she says, shows that I was weak and a "baby" and she lost any shred of respect for me after that. She doesn't understand that I did it because I was trying to PROTECT our marriage. In fact, she's so upset about it, she says if I truly believe exposure was the only way to destroy the A and protect our marriage, that we're simply incompatible because I'm delusional. I don't know what SHE thought would've been the best way to "protect our marriage."

So this a.m., I'm left thinking...maybe we ARE incompatible. Of course, after talking about all this last night, she did call me on my way to work this morning and say she loved me and thought we could work it out.

I think I'm back in the fog. Or I never left. I have no plan right now, but I'm trying to come up with one.

Moved out 12/3/10

M
M
You can earn the respect by NOT accepting the situation.

You are listening your WWs fog talk too much. Stop listening people who have NO excperience with dealing of infidelity. Of course she is angry - you ruined her affair!

The non-negotiable sequence of steps for solving your situation is Exposure->NC->Withdrawal->Recovery.

You have not achieved the NC even yet.

Me (FWH) 44
Mrs_Recon6mo (FWW) 42
Married 22 years
2 Children 20 and 22 years
Last D-Day for me: May 2009
Last D-Day for her: October 2008
A
A
she is cake eating and I suspect all is ready to resume affair as soon as her meal ticket... you .. have been suitably put back into your place. Pat you on the head and rub your tummy.

she will do this as long as you allow it to happen. Its a choice YOU will make.

stuck... women do not respect men who habitually give in to them.... you may be as PC as you like but it was true in my mums day .. heck it was true back in the days ancient Rome.... as it is today.

Her complaints about your exposure are complete rubbish and are intended to put you on the defensive because from past experience during the M she knows this puts her in the driving seat ... so she is doing it again... its very obvious as we read your posts she is very good at manipulating you. sadly you let her do it by inaction.

Stuck take this as an absolute truth ..from a former WW - NOT ONE THING YOU DID OR DID NOT DO CAUSED YOUR WW AFFAIR!!! She CHOSE to do this.. I did and so did EVERY person who had an affair.

NO ONE pretends that what is advised to do is easy.. if it was easy you would not be here would you? Its hard... its frightening at times... it hurts you in the place you feel most vulnerable... but its action you MUST take to have a chance at saving your M.

She is blowing smoke up your you know what on a lot of issues right now. She is busy re-fogging as you sit and watch.

Demand NC,,, demand it for work and outside of work. Stuck I had to give up.. I WANTED to give up ... the career I had which helped allow the circumstances for my affair. WHY? because it would help both my DH and MYSELF in recovering and rebuilding our M. COMPLETE change to another workplace... work industry...people I interacted with ...your wife has to do much the same. WHY does she have to play music with OM? to be blunt again .... that's just crap and you buy into it... and THAT Stuck is manipulation by your WW.

Stuck it may be again a simple question you don't want to face.. her career as it is now or ... YOU

Stuck I think you do have a chance of recovering your M but you NEED to follow the advice you are getting on demanding NC and the consequences - NOT threats - that will follow if NC is not followed... if the NC letter does not go out .... that may be that YOU seek to sell the home.... that YOU look at divorce or separation and get legal advice.

The alternative that you seem to be heading towards right now is that your WW will continue her affair... continue sponging off you .... and you will be willing for that to happen. You do not deserve that Stuck.

PLEASE PLEASE if you simply cannot bring yourself to do as advised to kill this affair go and see a lawyer and protect yourself as much as possible and go for separation and perhaps a divorce.

Do not think your wife will give a tinkers damn about you while in an affair ??? .. she will not. In an affair you are selfish... entitled... a real class A beach!!! She is NOT the woman you married right at this moment.

Its all up to you mostly Stuck... do as advised by the letter or don't ... the results are pretty clear.

remember this about respect ... ACTIONS speak louder than all the grand words in the world.

Life may feel as if you are constantly getting kicked on a daily basis, living is about picking yourself up each day and going on and on and on regardless.

M
M
Originally Posted by StuckWaiting
Well. MB, let me answer your questions... and say that perhaps you're right, as I'm having a lot of doubts this morning. I may be setting the bar too low in my eagerness to make our M work.
LISTEN TO YOUR GUT. Rolling over for your addicted wife will NOT make this M work.
My comment on "trying to date a little bit" just meant we were going to go on date nights, have fun together, spend more time doing things we enjoy with each other instead of perpetually slogging through the swamp of this disaster. Depositing points into the love bank, instead of constantly removing them via difficult conversations. I'm moved back into the house, though I've still spent a handful of nights at a friend's house when things get too emotional or strained. Maybe that's not good, but it is what it is. Do NOT stay at a friend's house when things get too emotional! Retire to your respective corners, go into another room, do pushups in the basement to blow off steam, but do NOT LEAVE.Nothing like showing her what you'll do when the going gets tough! Come on, now, stuck. Stay with the plan, here.

However...she is resisting blocking his number. She's resisting transparency because, in her absolute stubbornness she "doesn't want to feel controlled" and because she chafes so hard against any restrictions to her "freedom." redflag This needs to be a requirement, Stuck. She doesn't get to decide this. Her cell phone is an open door of invitation to OM. They've texted a couple of times to test the waters. Now they realize you don't really mean it. You've got to take control of this asap.

She has told me (and I have verified by checking phone records) that she and him have text messaged each other twice in the last week--one or two messages each time. Yesterday she said she's reluctant to cut him completely out of her life, when she's still not sure that we can make it work. Of course, I told her there is NO chance we can make it work while he's still in the picture AT ALL... which she says she understands, but she apparently is not 100% committed to R. Fog-babble. This would be fairly benign if you'd closed all the affair doors, but you haven't. She is serving notice to you that she intends to resume the A. This is what happens when you set the bar too low.

Getting rid of FB is an option, but not a very good one--it's, in fact, pretty important to her career. Blocking him is a no-brainer, which last night she said she will do. Do you have a keylogger and complete access to her FB account? Do you have a keylogger on her computer at work? Do you know how long it takes to unblock someone? About 5 seconds.

I would love to talk to Dr. Harley, but unfortunately finances are not such that it would be a struggle to even afford 1 session. I think he could talk some sense into her, because at this point she doesn't seem to put any stock in what I say, so it's hard for me to get through to her. We are going to start going to MC, hopefully this week.

The biggest obstacle right now, IMO, is her lack of respect for me. The beginning of our marriage started with me making some pretty big mistakes. Huge, even. Among other things, I feared my friends & family wouldn't accept that I was getting married so quickly so I hid our plans from them while I tried to "ease them in" and it backfired horribly. I regret it deeply, and I understand why she lost respect for me, but she apparently struggled to ever get over that. She doesn't respect me now, and her vague claims that I "need to be a man" and "demand respect from everyone" don't give me enough guidance to actually earn her respect back. On top of this, the fact that I exposed the A to her family, she says, shows that I was weak and a "baby" and she lost any shred of respect for me after that. She doesn't understand that I did it because I was trying to PROTECT our marriage. In fact, she's so upset about it, she says if I truly believe exposure was the only way to destroy the A and protect our marriage, that we're simply incompatible because I'm delusional. I don't know what SHE thought would've been the best way to "protect our marriage." She's not going to get exposure while she's still addicted. Ignore that. Also: stop dwelling in the past and trying to gauge how much respect you did or didn't earn with her. Your past actions are in the past. Yeah, I agree you need to be a man. I'll go with her on that. Telling everyone about the A is just part of a larger strategy, Still. If exposure is ALL you do, yeah, you'll probably look like a 'baby.' Because you look like you aren't ready to proceed with steering the ship. You've exposed. What are you going to do next to show her that there is only one man in her life, and that man is YOU?

So this a.m., I'm left thinking...maybe we ARE incompatible. Of course, after talking about all this last night, she did call me on my way to work this morning and say she loved me and thought we could work it out.

I think I'm back in the fog. Or I never left. I have no plan right now, but I'm trying to come up with one.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 425 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation