Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 50 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 49 50
M
M
North, this is all actually pretty good stuff. Of course, your WW is still foggy and wayward. It's pretty early in the process. That's why you're not seeing more empathy for you. There's going to be a lot of memememe right now. That's normal until that fog lifts.

You'll know you're getting somewhere when she starts getting pissed about OM instead of feeling sorry for him. Or, better yet, when he doesn't occupy any of her emotional landscape.

UA is your biggest friend right now. It is critical that you get those hours up. See if you can slip in some more to yank that up to 20.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

N
OP Offline
N
Thanks, mb, makes me feel a bit better knowing that others have seen this same thing.

The UA hours will go up regardless of what we wrote down--that's my mission. She just didn't want to commit to such a stringent regimen so just getting her to commit to any schedule was a milestone in my book. When we're not actively thinking about UA, I notice it comes more naturally.

We're going to visit her parents this weekend and she actually suggested getting them to watch the kids for a few hours Saturday while we went out and did something. I about fell over.

Me (BH)
FWW
Married 2000, DS 8, DD 6, DD 2

S
S
Originally Posted by Northwood8900
PITY-PARTY ALERT!

Of course, now I've going back to "what about me?" The last two days have been off for me. It's been so long (eight or nine months) since I've felt needed that my $LB is just going down. SF (my #1) last showed up around May of 2010.

But I'm still trying to stick to the course. I've got to work on the UA time, I know it's critical. I get kind of down, though, when it's not reciprocated or the conversation is so forced. Make sense?

Northwood, sounds like you are on the right trackand things are going about as well as you could hope right now considering the circumstances.

But, about the above comments. Glad you put them on this forum instead of going to your WW with them. Vent all you want here, but when around her it can't be about you at all.

A KEY component about plan A is "no Expectations" It is not about getting your EN's met, it's about meeting hers. Don't tell her how the A makes you feel, she knows already on many levels. Especially don't ask the open-ended question, "don't you know or don't you care how I feel?' It will do nothing but put her on the defensive.

I know it's tought to be the giver when the WS is the one who wrecked everything. That's what is counter-intuitive about MB's and why it's so tough on the BS to live a good plan A. But, it is your best hope.

So remember, do your best to meet her EN's with NO EXPECTATIONS about her meeting yours. It's not fair, but it is a path that works.

N
OP Offline
N
Thanks, schtoop, for the refresher. I kind of need that every now and again.

Reading a thread on false-recoveries makes me wonder if I'm being set up here. She's never actually said "I want to work on the marriage". I could think and worry this thing around in circles, it's not healthy. smile

Me (BH)
FWW

N
OP Offline
N
Ugghhh. I've been kind of PO'ed at my WW since Friday--guess that's the next step in all this.

The weekend trip with the kids could have been much better. I just flat out wasn't in the mood to even be around my W. We talked about it, she said she almost wanted me to yell and scream at her.

I said that she kind of got off easy, just came right back in without even saying that she wanted to work on the marriage. She said that was nuts, she felt ashamed around everybody every day of the week and (slowly, kind of sort of) said "I'm wanting to work on this marriage" which, strangely, made me mad as hell, too.

I don't know if I'm losing my mind or not, but these past several months have just worn me down, I guess.

We went out to eat and she just stared off into space but insisted that we go out since "we might as well start sometime". Ok.

Got home last evening and I noticed our dynamic was a lot better since we weren't at her parents' house and in the car with two kids, etc. It seems that we get along better when we're not "trying to have fun" by sitting through dinner at a restaurant, etc. Go figure. I guess I need to rethink my approach or something.

We're trying a new counselor this week, will see how that goes.

Me (BH)
FWW

M
M
This is still pretty early in recovery, North. Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Pace yourself.

D-Day 2-10-2009

N
OP Offline
N
Yeah, I keep wanting to speed things up.

I think the increased anger may be, partly, coming from the stop-smoking meds (Chantix) that I'm taking. WW and I did laugh and say I picked a fine time to try to quit.

Me (BH)
FWW

M
M
Well, don't start smoking again! smile

You're going to be angry on occasion during R. Acknowledge and accept that, because it's completely normal.

Stuff I did...I would bring up old conversations about the A and throw them in my H's face. BAD IDEA. DON'T DO IT. It gained me nothing, and my goal of hurting my H as badly as he'd hurt me never happened. Once you get your affair question answered, move on. Imagine yourself on a game board. Go to the next space. Don't go back a space. It will gain you nothing. Listen to someone who made the mistake of doing it.

Approach your WW in a healthy way. Let her know that you're feeling a little cranky and could use some comfort.

Distract yourself with something you enjoy doing.

When I felt overwhelming anger I would take a pillow and slam it against the door frame in my bedroom. Hot DANG! did that feel good! grin Seriously, yes, I did have a problem with rage over the A. And initially I would strike physically at my H, which was a terrible thing to do, for both of us. That pillow was a Godsend.

D-Day 2-10-2009

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
Stuff I did...I would bring up old conversations about the A and throw them in my H's face. BAD IDEA. DON'T DO IT. It gained me nothing, and my goal of hurting my H as badly as he'd hurt me never happened. Once you get your affair question answered, move on. Imagine yourself on a game board. Go to the next space. Don't go back a space. It will gain you nothing. Listen to someone who made the mistake of doing it.

Yeah, that didn't work too well for me, either. I still felt like crap.

Approach your WW in a healthy way. Let her know that you're feeling a little cranky and could use some comfort.

That actually did work, and when she responded with kindness it ticked me off. Uggh. I don't know what I wanted her reaction to be, and think I would have been ticked no matter what she said. I don't get it.

When I felt overwhelming anger I would take a pillow and slam it against the door frame in my bedroom. Hot DANG! did that feel good! grin Seriously, yes, I did have a problem with rage over the A. And initially I would strike physically at my H, which was a terrible thing to do, for both of us. That pillow was a Godsend.

I swear I've wanted to smack her on the head but would never do it. I didn't hit a door frame, but did give the house burglar alarm panel a good smack a few weeks ago. Now I can't read the stupid display on it. Good one, that really showed her! (sarcasm intended) smile

Me (BH)
FWW

M
M
That actually did work, and when she responded with kindness it ticked me off. Uggh. I don't know what I wanted her reaction to be, and think I would have been ticked no matter what she said. I don't get it.
Yeah, I know. BTDT. That's when the pillow came in very handy.

D-Day 2-10-2009

N
OP Offline
N
Actually, I do know what I wanted her reaction to be. Hint-it's what guys think about the most.

Wow, that sounds so pathetic. I'm glad I didn't let her know that that's what I wanted and preserved some dignity. smile

Me (BH)
FWW

M
M
Originally Posted by Northwood8900
Actually, I do know what I wanted her reaction to be. Hint-it's what guys think about the most.

Wow, that sounds so pathetic. I'm glad I didn't let her know that that's what I wanted and preserved some dignity. smile
Hey, there's a lot to be said for a little...bit of this and that. grin

D-Day 2-10-2009

A
A
NW - I'm glad I read your post. I've been in plan A for only 4 weeks and struggle terribly with that 'need'. I've given in to my bad temptations twice since D-day. It's like damm if you do ($LB withdrawals) and damm if you don't (frustration). Both times I've rationalized it - 'well, she already says she hates me, why not'? I know that's wrong.

I know I need to redouble my efforts, because I'm sure I destroy any goodwill (i.e. $LB deposits) when I do that.

BS(me)- 45
WW - 41
D-day 1 - (PA) 01/2011
DS - 6
Exposure: early 02/2011
Started Plan B - 7/11
N
OP Offline
N
Hey Andy,

Thanks for your post, kind of helps to read of others in the same situation.

I read your thread. My wife said nearly all the same things--not in love with you, don't know why we married, blah blah blah. It's repeated all the time by other posters and now makes me laugh when I think of the crap that I heard.

Though we're hardly out of the woods, I can say that your efforts will be mostly futile without busting this affair wide open. I know--I tried for six/seven/eight? months to do it on my own, politely asking my wife to please quit cheating on me, pretty please, if it's not too much trouble?

If you're like me, you just cannot imagine that your wife is lying her a$$ off to you. But, she is and, like many have said, you're living with an alien. You cannot reason with, plead with or beg them to do anything reasonable. They just don't have ears that work or a mind that can comprehend something that is so clearly seen by everyone else.

I even threw in that our kids would be horribly affected by this, just knowing that her motherly instincts would kick in and she'd see the damage she was doing. I'll be damned, even that didn't phase her long enough to quit cheating.

But once her family and everyone else knew what was going on, and once her phone started ringing with "what the h are you doing?" she started pulling her head out of her rear. Granted, part of it is still wedged in there and she isn't 100% working on the marriage, but the OM has been booted out for now--permanently, I pray.

You'll be amazed at the difference exposure makes. It gets you off the road you're on, gives you the steering wheel. I only wish I had listened to those people that told me to do this last summer.

Me (BH)
FWW

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Reynolds531
I'm too new to offer advice on this just wanted to say two things.

Well done on your fight, you're doing the right thing.

And Melody you're the best.

Damn I love a good exposure thread.

Reynolds, where is your thread? I've seen a couple of references to it in other threads but cannot seem to find it.

Got a link?

Me (BH)
FWW

N
OP Offline
N
Need some input, please. I saw the following about addressing problems...

So, how soon should you begin in your effort to address each other's complaints? My answer: As soon as the complaint is first made. Why wait for a complaint to turn into a demand, or a disrespectful judgment or an angry outburst? Why not deal with the issue immediately, as soon as it is spoken.

How should you tell your spouse, "We have a problem."
One of the reasons that spouses postpone their complaints is that the way they complain often starts a fight. While the complaint does get the problem out on the table, it often wrecks what could have been a peaceful evening at home. And after the fight is over, the problem usually remains unsolved. So, how should you introduce a problem to your spouse in a way that doesn't lead to a fight, and makes it easy to solve?

First, this is what you should NOT do when presenting a problem to your spouse:

DO NOT make a demand. A demand is an effort to force your spouse to do what you want without consideration for how your spouse will feel doing it. "Do it, or else," is the clear message given in a demand, and it coveys an insensitivity to your spouse's feelings or interests. It's a Love Buster because demands withdraw love units. Instead of helping to solve a problem, it creates a new problem. A thoughtful request, on the other hand, is a good way to ask your spouse for help, because it takes his or her feelings into account. "How would you feel if you were to do this for me," introduces the problem with a willingness to negotiate a win-win solution.

DO NOT make a disrespectful judgment. When you present the problem, avoid expressing it as being the fault of your spouse. "If you were less selfish, we wouldn't have this problem," is an example of a disrespectful judgment that will get you nowhere. Instead of blaming your spouse for the problem, view it as a problem for you that is, apparently, not a problem for your spouse. Respectful persuasion is an effort to try to change your spouse's behavior that, in the end, will not only help you, but will help your spouse as well.

DO NOT have an angry outburst. Anger is your Taker's way of punishing your spouse when he or she does not give you what you want. It's not only an ineffective way to produce long-lasting change in your spouse's behavior, but it also destroys your spouse's love for you.

Granted, if you present your complaint in a thoughtful way, and your spouse responds with thoughtlessness, you will be very tempted to revert to your Taker's instincts by being demanding, disrespectful and angry. But it takes two to fight, and if your spouse does not respond positively to your presentation, simply end the discussion, and re-introduce your problem again later.

So, we have a problem here.

As I've alluded, the lack of SF is really starting to bother me again. In the past, and I can see it happening now, we've taken the "renter" attitude and swept things under the rug. Resentment builds and on we go.

The last time we spoke of SF (before exposure) I stated my case, she responded that she didn't feel that way and...there we are. Cue crickets chirping in the background.

Any tips or would this be too early to address something that doesn't really have that many alternatives versus, say, who takes out the trash during the week. How in the h do you POJA something like sex without coming across like a chauvinist? Do I just wait and see how things go while keeping up with UA as, per Dr. Harley, these things tend to work themselves out?

Kind of at a loss, here, and merely waiting for a counseling session doesn't seem to help, either. The problem just isn't going away on its own and I'm not all that great at pretending nothing is wrong.

Me (BH)
FWW

M
M
Me thinks that it is too early. I think also that she does know that you need SF (who doesn't). I do believe dr Harley that if there is firm NC and love bank starts to fill up then SF department comes along itself.

In your case, when the last contact was only weeks (?) ago, you just have to be patient. NC should be your first priority.

Me (FWH) 44
Mrs_Recon6mo (FWW) 42
Married 22 years
2 Children 20 and 22 years
Last D-Day for me: May 2009
Last D-Day for her: October 2008
A
A
NW - thanks for the insight and advice. I know I have to expose this affair soon. I like the alien comparison, but I think of it more like sleeping with the enemy.

BS(me)- 45
WW - 41
D-day 1 - (PA) 01/2011
DS - 6
Exposure: early 02/2011
Started Plan B - 7/11
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by recon6mo
Me thinks that it is too early. I think also that she does know that you need SF (who doesn't). I do believe dr Harley that if there is firm NC and love bank starts to fill up then SF department comes along itself.

In your case, when the last contact was only weeks (?) ago, you just have to be patient. NC should be your first priority.

Yeah, me thinks you're probably right. I'm fairly confident that NC is still in place. Nothing suspicious has shown up and I'm not having that gut feeling like I used to.

Me (BH)
FWW

N
OP Offline
N
Just checked the cell phone log and it looks like my WW has a new secret email account. WW accessed the internet this morning and, from the URL, logged into an email account named (edited email).

By the name of the email account, it would have been set up by the OM. She spent about three minutes looking at it and then logged off.

Spoke with her father and mother. We're all shellshocked, going to have to chew on this for an hour or so. Cannot make a decision right now, but the courthouse is only a ten minute drive from here.

Me (BH)
FWW

Page 13 of 50 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 49 50

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 827 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation