Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
C
C
Originally Posted by wanthealing
Well, let me just say, JL, that your advice has been a godsend. NC with OM is still going well--I don't even think about the SOB--and all of my focus is on loving my BH better. The AOs are pretty much nonexistant, and my BH has been caught laughing, smiling, and joking around. (I even got it on camera to prove it!) I've been really paying attention to how I act--focusing on living with grace and loving on my BH, and he's noticed.

That's priceless. Keep loving him to death.

J
J
WH,

To paraphrase an over used statement. Your H will be your hero IF he has a good woman loving and supporting him. smile

He needs and has needed more emotional support than you realize, and you have opened the door for him to support you more as well. Funny how that nonlinear stuff works. smile

It was good to hear from you and I hope you keep the updates coming. I am not sure you realize how important your story is to this board and the many people who read but do not post.

Please keep updating and consider reaching out to others. You and your H have a message that is very important for others to hear.

Godo Bless,

JL

G
G
I skipped to the end so forgive me if I missed it.

My state has laws that block OM from any rights to OC, does yours not?

If OM wins some form of custody, or visitation, how will you handle that knowing that you can not have any contact with OM at all.

Does OM still live minutes away?

Me 34
WW 30
Abandoned Feb 17th 08, D-Day Aprl 27th 08.
Returned home Jul 7th, OC born 12/30/08
The FOG is clear, and we are in recovery.
O
O
I just think that your husband has far to much to deal with. First you have another mans baby instead of his. Then the man that you brought into your marriage might be connected to your marriage for the rest of your lives. If he gets his way, he'll be at your daughters weddings, births, graduation. Exactly how is your husband expected to have the reminder of your infidelity thrown in his face every day. I don't agree with his anger and certainly not violence, but I also don't know how he could resign himself to a three parent family with the man you betrayed him with. Can you understand that side of his anger?

W
OP Offline
W
Ouch, I do understand that side of his anger, and I'm no longer asking that he not be angry. Instead I must ask what I can do to support him as he needs me to support him. To him that seems to be enough. While many men would not stick around in this situation, my BH wants to. And I am trying to give him a reason to.

Gack, we are concerned about the OM being around. Unfortunately our state doesn't really have any laws about interlopers, so that's what we're going back and forth in court over. And if we have to deal with shared custody at some point, we will probably have to have a mediator handle all arrangments (though my BH is leaning toward dealing with OM himself, since BH doesn't trust OC with a stranger). Unfortunately I may have to miss big events in OC's life if OM is there, but I can deal with that as it comes. We've talked about moving if dealing with OM gets to be too much for BH to handle. We're still working through those issues, and we really don't have any answers yet. We probably won't have answers until we get to that point. Though, we are interested in how others have dealt with this, since it's uncharted territory for us.

Me: WW
BH
DD(4)
DS(2)
DD(1)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

T
T
I'm glad things are getting better in your home.

Please keep us informed how this legal case progresses to the end.

W
OP Offline
W
Will do. I hope that our story can one day help other couples who go through this. My BH actually got a chance to share what he is going through with a friend contemplating D and after their talk his friend wants to save his M! My BH is an inspiration, that's for sure.

BH
DD(4)
DS(2)
DD(1)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

J
J
WH,

Pops over on the pregnancy board can help you guys. He has been through all of this. AutumnDay has been in your shows as well.

Have you looked at all of the people who have viewed your thread? You and your H are helping more than you realize.

God Bless,

JL

G
G
Gack, we are concerned about the OM being around. Unfortunately our state doesn't really have any laws about interlopers, so that's what we're going back and forth in court over.
How is that going?

And if we have to deal with shared custody at some point, we will probably have to have a mediator handle all arrangments (though my BH is leaning toward dealing with OM himself, since BH doesn't trust OC with a stranger).
I would highly recommend a mediator.

Has it been brought up to OM by your legal team that if he is awarded any parental rights, that he will also "win" the right to pay you child support? That makes some OM rethink there wish for rights.

Me 34
WW 30
W
OP Offline
W
Hi again, Gack. I actually just "thread-jacked" you on the pregnancy forum. smile Here's where we are at the moment. The court outcome looks dismal. OM is pretty much guaranteed rights. BH is devestated to have to share OC with OM, and we haven't told anyone of the affair or OC's biology yet, so we have that to "look forward to" as well.

OM is fine with paying child support, though he's pushing for 50/50 custody to avoid paying. That thought sickens me and BH, because OC is still so young (mere months old) and OM is an alcoholic without a license and divorced/single and a womanizer. I don't see how any court could take a baby from a stable family environment (believe it or not, my BH and I are more stable and loving than ever before, thanks to MB) and a stay-at-home mom to toss her back and forth between daycares and living arrangments. Poor BH not only has to find out his firstborn isn't his, but now he may have to share her 50/50. My heart breaks daily over what I've done to him.

How did you get through this, Gack?

BH
DD(4)
DS(2)
DD(1)

S
S
The court outcome looks dismal. OM is pretty much guaranteed rights.
What makes you say this, wh? Has the court ordered a DNA test?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
F
F
Originally Posted by SugarCane
What makes you say this, wh? Has the court ordered a DNA test?
One would have to assume that they are close to ALLOWING the DNA test to proceed.

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
G
G
How did you get through this, Gack?
Well, first off. Our family and most close friends know the true genetic origin of OC, and that's the way they look at it. This was not my decision, my WW told them before she returned home as justification to stay with OM. It has not affected my relationship with anyone in any way. And if it did, I would not want that person in my life anyway.

My state has laws that protect both the marriage and OC from OM, and the BS from OM and WW. OM has no rights unless one of us legally gives them to him. So once WW started clearing the fog, it was decided that OM would be excluded from OC's life for our and her own good.

This is a good thing, I would not be able to handle OM's continued interference in our lives, resentment would build, and our recovery would fail.

Poor BH not only has to find out his firstborn isn't his, but now he may have to share her 50/50. My heart breaks daily over what I've done to him.

OC is also "My" first and only child.

Why?

What evidence does OM have that OC is his?
Has there been a DNA test ordered?
How much confidence do you have in your lawyer?

Last edited by Gack1; 02/16/11 03:28 PM.

Me 34
WW 30
S
S
Originally Posted by faithful follower
One would have to assume that they are close to ALLOWING the DNA test to proceed.
faithy,

That puzzles me still. How can anybody know what a court is close to allowing?

I know I'm foreign skeptical but surely it's the same with you. The two sides make their case while the judge listens. He or she then goes away and comes back with a judgement. Until that judgement is issued, nobody knows what the outcome will be.

OM's counsel might have made a stinger of a case. He might have made want and her H feel completely defeated and that there was no hope, yet until a judgement is issued they do not know the outcome.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
W
OP Offline
W
No legal test has been administered, but the courts are most likely going to order one. We're so tired of fighting--and spending money--that my BH and I feel like it's about time to throw in the towel. My confidence in my attny has dwindled as the exhaustion has set in.

I wish I lived in your state, Gack!

BH
DD(4)
DS(2)
DD(1)

W
OP Offline
W
Sugar, previous case law gives a pretty good idea of how the outcome will be determined. And the laws in my state are set up to support biology more than marriage. Of course, we could spend thousands upon thousands more dollars and potentially win our case in a supreme court, but we're so burned out and our financial demise won't be any better of an outcome for us or our marriage.

I appreciate the sentiment, though. smile

BH
DD(4)
DS(2)
DD(1)

G
G
So anyone in your state can just go to the courthouse and file a claim of being someone else's father, with no proof, and they will start a court case over it?

Wow!

I think it is time to have a stern talk with your lawyer. If he doesn't sound positive about the outcome, I'd start interviewing other lawyers.

Me 34
WW 30
W
OP Offline
W
That's exactly how my state does things. Ridiculous, isn't it, that any Joe Shmoe can decide to file a paternity suit for no reason and they'll hear the case...even without a mutual ack of sex!

I'm on lawyer number 3, and this last lawyer actually has previously been responsible for changing laws. He seems passionate about my case and wants to use this to change laws, but it will end up being a media circus and cost me everything and then some, and most likely take years. While it's tempting, we would need major financial support. We're at the point where we have no fight left in us. frown

BH
DD(4)
DS(2)
DD(1)

R
R
First of all, your husband is a remarkable person. Not many men, including myself would EVER raise another persons child through infidelity. Consider yourself very lucky. Now he has to deal with not only sharing YOU with this OM, but the child also. I'm not a religious person, but this poor guy is the epitome of a true Christian.

L
L
wanthealing,

is there any way we could talk privately about our OC situations?

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 364 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation