Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 32 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 31 32
H
OP Offline
H
The increase in AD has hit me hard. I'm so tired and fuzzy-headed today. frown

At least I'm not crying......

"Your future isn't sealed. Nothing bad is going to happen. You just put everything in God's hands and in the meanwhile, do all you can do as a woman to protect yourself and your finances and family. That's what your job is to do now and let God deal with the wayward. Trust me...you do not have to lift a finger. HE will deal with the wayward."
Quotable words from peachyisback
“Sometimes you don’t get where you want to go, but you get much further than you were before.” Tiffany on Top Chef
R
R
Let the physician know. You might get good advice on how to deal with the dosage (maybe they will recommend you take it down a notch or something).

H
OP Offline
H
Reading, thanks for the suggestion. I was just complaining and pretty out of it at school today. I told my students that I had taken a anti-histamine and it had made me very tired. I should have stayed home.

I went through the same thing when I first began taking Celexa and with my last dosage increase. The fatigue abates after 3-4 days. I've just got to stick it out.

"Your future isn't sealed. Nothing bad is going to happen. You just put everything in God's hands and in the meanwhile, do all you can do as a woman to protect yourself and your finances and family. That's what your job is to do now and let God deal with the wayward. Trust me...you do not have to lift a finger. HE will deal with the wayward."
“Sometimes you don’t get where you want to go, but you get much further than you were before.” Tiffany on Top Chef
E
E
HnG:
It is that way when you get on an antidepressant. I remember when I was on lexapro during the D, and I felt zoned out. I remember one day feeling that if a giant meteor was hurtling towards my little spot on the earth, that I'd feel like.."oh well." Literally my emotions felt numbed.

Then after a week or so, things got better. I didn't cry and didn't get as emotional. Just be kind to yourself during this adjustment phase.

What I think you need is a goddess-cation (vacation for goddess).

I learned a fun trick that helped me when I was flat broke as a single mom with no family in my area and first did this about five years ago and again three years ago (it was right before I met my dh).

I learned how to save lots of $ and how to almost manipulate priceline a bit. Two sites (both free and volunteers who use the ideas post there and you just learn the way to bid) called biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com helped me learn how to squeeze a 4 or 5* hotel for a song! I even did this last weekend and booked a trip for all of us to go to Orlando during spring break. Let's just say dh was amazed at what I was able to afford and the gorgeous place we're going has made him a believer!

I think you need a little change of scenery, a good book (I read like mad when I was in the midst of what I called the "port of indecision" aka limboland). I read every single book by Jimmy Buffett (mental vacations and tons of fun), all the Harry Potter books with my ds, and Christian devotional books.

You need to find something fun to focus on right now in the mist of the stuff that is going on. You cannot control the wayward. Let Go do that. You can control HnG, who is an amazing woman smile

And you are doing something wonderful for yourself by recognizing that you were in pain, got on the right meds, saw a doctor, are working on yourself, and all that's needed is something added that can be an event to look forward too.

Hint: last weekend when I looked on that site before I booked our trip, there were several posters who got luxury 4* resorts for less than 45$ a night. Seriously! Now is the time to also do a little something more for HnG.

Hugs to you all. And fwiw, I got three lovely trips in the past and would use some of the small bonuses I'd get at work to pay for a trip for my child and I. Those were some of the greatest and happiest memories I have ever had. Those little events made for my child and I to make it through the tougher days, I can tell ya!

Now how is the strivectin workin' for ya? It's going well for me. I am working my tushie off right now trying to get 15 off! That and on the skin right now. What have you done wonderfully for YOU today HnG?

Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right. ~Jane Goodall
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by peachyisback
HnG:
It is that way when you get on an antidepressant. I remember when I was on lexapro during the D, and I felt zoned out. I remember one day feeling that if a giant meteor was hurtling towards my little spot on the earth, that I'd feel like.."oh well." Literally my emotions felt numbed.

Then after a week or so, things got better. I didn't cry and didn't get as emotional. Just be kind to yourself during this adjustment phase.
I have been working on taking care of myself. I called my in-laws tonight and my sister, too. That doesn't seem like much but to be able to speak to my in-laws and not cry is an amazing thing. smile It's also important for me to keep connected with the people who care about me and support me--it's not as easy to feel sorry for myself when I know I have dear people like my in-laws. My FiL is actually coming over tomorrow to see about fixing a dripping pipe. His son should do it but he told DS to "call a plumber" when he told him about it.

And I got my new clothes in the mail. The purple top fits beautifully and I adore the new scarf--rayon made from bamboo in a lovely navy and white striped design. However, I'm not wild about the wrap dress. It looks like something Rhoda Morgenstern would have worn in the 70s--at least it does on me. wink

Peachy, I don't think I'll be traveling until the summer but I'll definitely use your recommended sites. I do plan to spend more time in Nashville, visiting my girls and taking DS to the Frist Museum and other places. And I'm going to shop for more new clothes. I need some so badly.

The Strivectin neck cream is working really well, but I'm not wild about the deep crease cream. It's not a long term solution--it lasts a few hours and then you "reapply as necessary". Not easy to do at work. I've had great results from Olay Total Effects. I can see a big difference and I've only been using it for 2 weeks. It's a lot cheaper than the Strivectin, too.

One event that is coming up is the court hearing. Thankfully, my sister is coming to be with me at court--she's flying in from Kansas. I am beyond humbled that she would do this for me.

I'm way tired so I'm heading off to bed. Tomorrow, I'm filing my taxes and getting a haircut. Sunday, I'm buying some new tops at the mall. I'm good at spending money. wink

S
S
Make sure you LOVE what you buy. When you LOVE what you are wearing, it shows.

Take care of yourself. BTW, isn't it time to change your toenail colour? wink

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Scotland
Make sure you LOVE what you buy. When you LOVE what you are wearing, it shows.
So true! The wrap dress is okay but I don't love it. LOL--My older DD suggested I get a white dress like the one Lindsay Lohan wore to court. laugh I don't know if I can rock a mini dress...

Take care of yourself. BTW, isn't it time to change your toenail colour? wink
Yes, definitely. I just need to get some polish remover and a new color. I'm thinking blue.... smile

Last edited by HopeandGrace; 02/26/11 09:30 AM. Reason: quote tag

R
R
I only buy clothes I can try on nowadays. If they don't go "POW" in the dressing room, I skip them.
Dress-wise, I find that I have to try on all the colors a dress comes in and each size to see if one looks hot on me.
Maybe, return the dress and get to some stores to try, try, try some! Take your dd!
Have fun!
Accept no less than beautiful you.

H
OP Offline
H
Thanks for the advice, Reading. Color does make a difference, doesn't it? I keep thinking I'd like something navy but I'll be sure to check out all of the colors available.

If I'm brave, I'll get both daughters to help me shop at the same time. I don't know though--they can be kinda pushy. Just like Scotty...... wink

H
OP Offline
H
I filed my taxes and I'm getting back more than $3700! LG--your figures were right on but I also get to claim the educator's credit and since we didn't get $250 from the government last year, I got $400 this year. I'm not sure I understand that part, but what-the-hey. wink Also got the $1000 child tax credit.

Of course, this all goes into the general marital funds but he's gonna have to pay so that makes it all right in my book. laugh

S
S
Me pushy? lashes

I think it woul be great for you to take your DDs with you. I used to tell my mom that I wanted to take her out to get some clothes. She worked with older people and tended to dress older than she actually was. Now, she has changed a bit, but I would still LOVE to get her a makeover. laugh

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
H
OP Offline
H
Scotty, you're either pushy or you are inexplicably obsessed with my toe nails.

I was just kidding--no real offense intended. kiss

I did tend to dress older, too, but my DDs took care of that by inviting themselves along as I shopped and picking out clothes for me. Sort of a role-reversal going on....

S
S
You got me, I AM obsessed with your toenails. HEHEHEHE

I wasn't offended in the least. Actually, what I am doing is paying it forward. I am trying to remember what others were advising me when I was at the beginning of Plan B and I thought that I would try to impart that "wisdom." Read my thread, you will see that I was asked about MY toenails too.

BTW, my favourite colour is BLUE. I must have 10 different shades of blue nail polish. My fav one right now is a metallic silver one though. I bought some hair bling(tinsel that you put in your hair) off of Ebay. I just need to get some into my hair. I gotta thank Pep for that one. laugh

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
H
OP Offline
H
I have read your thread, but it's time for a rereading. It's good wisdom that you're paying forward. I can see the benefit of taking care of myself and making myself number one (except for my DS). I'll look for the silver polish.

I already have some hair bling--lovely silver threads (unkind folks call it "gray"). For someone 54, I have an amazing lack of gray hair--95% of my head is still dark brown.

And that's all of the bragging for tonight. laugh

S
S
I am 19 years younger than you, and I am CERTAIN, that if I didn't dye my hair brown, I would have about 50% grey. My mom likes to make fun of me because I have more grey hairs than she does. Although, my dad is 51 and he has WHITE hair now. I guess that's what I have to look forward to. grin

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
H
OP Offline
H
Scotty, a few days ago you wrote:
Well you talk about being able to retire and darn it, I can't even figure out what I want to be because being a cashier in a retail store is NOT the job I want to retire from. I want a CAREER.

I went back to school to finish my college degree when I was 36, switching my major from biology (what was I thinking!) to education. I did have a husband then who was working full time so it wasn't a financial burden, but I was also the mom of 3 kids aged 7-12. Studying was time consuming. I also had our youngest (surprise!) when I was 38. That made it take even longer to finish up, but I finally graduated and got my first teaching job when I was 40.

You're clearly very bright and have excellent writing skills. Look into taking on-line classes and knock your core requirements out of the way (assuming it works the same way in Canada). Even if it takes you until you're 40 to graduate and get that new career, you'll have something you can be proud of--an education! No one can take it away from you, and you'll provide an outstanding example of perseverance for your boys. And besides all that--you're going to turn 40 (or a younger or older age) any way. Why not do it with a degree and a career?

Have you checked to see if you're eligible for any grants? Canada must have something like that to enable folks to get a college education.....

S
S
I have been thinking about where to go to find out what I can do, financially. The only problem is, I don't know WHAT I want to do. I am at the point in my life, where I want to KNOW what I want to do so I don't waste any time, or money.

I would LOVE to be a teacher, but it's hard to get a FT job in teaching here. I actually know a teacher who is still a sub after more than 6 years. It would also take me a long time until I graduate, even if I do some of it online.

I think you have given me a mission. I need to get my butt in gear. I am NOT getting any younger you know? HEHEHEHEHE

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
H
OP Offline
H
No, you're not getting any younger, but think of us 50-somethings who would love to be 40 again!

If I had to do it again, I think I would have been happier being a nurse instead of a teacher. There's lots of employment options--hospitals, doctors' offices, home health care, nursing homes, schools, etc. Even LPNs (licensed practical nurses) have good career choices and they have about half the education of an RN (registered nurse).

Best of all? Nurses don't have to grade homework or deal with unreasonable parents. smile

E
E
I'm a healthcare pro too, and can attest to what HnG said! Except we do deal with crabby patients sometimes though and sometimes I am on call.

But all in all, it's a good job! Love it!

I am in a specialty profession within the medical field and have been doing it for almost 15 years, minus the 3 I was at home with my son and working with the xh (aka skunk ape).

Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right. ~Jane Goodall
E
E
I love clothes from NY and Co. You can always order them online, they are true to size, and they offer amazing online coupons and savings when you join their customer reward program.

Like last week I got a 40 off 100 coupon.

That stuff is amazing! I also sign up for all the macys' and other designer places customer reward programs too. Get on their mailing lists and when you really want to go shopping, you can do so without feeling guilty!

Fwiw, I tried something new gals. I quit having the overlay put on my nails and dropped the whole french manicure thing. I think color is coming back (see the mags) and went and got a manicure and pedi today.

On my nails, my salon uses OPI gel nail color. It's a bit more expensive than regular color, but it stays on for a solid two weeks, they use the uv dryer for the coats, and it won't fade, chip, and your nails stay super super strong. Plus I love color!

It's worth it. I got a tricked out manicure and a pedi with the sugar scrub and hot stone massage and treatment on the feet for about $50 today. Try the OPI gel polish!

Page 18 of 32 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 277 guests, and 74 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation