Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 43 of 89 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 88 89
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Mrs_Vanilla
What automatically comes to mind when they introduce one client w/ an imminent but "may have to be pushed back" wedding date...due to her waiting on the divorce papers from her previous marriage to come through?! GAH!!

It didn't stop there. She glossed over the "married my high school sweetheart and it didn't really work out," and was beaming over the fact she had "gotten a second chance" and "fallen in love with a wonderful (new) man" AND HAS AN 8-MONTH-OLD SON WITH HER NOW-FIANCE.

Ugh. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that infidelity would inevitably taint a wedding-related show, but for it to be so happily put out there by the wayward bride-to-be....ugh.

Ugh is right! Can you imagine a child/teenager watching that show? Hopefully a parent would speak up and then switch the channel.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Mrs_Vanilla
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
The higher the hair, the closer to God!!

Hmm, maybe we should implement a new vet application process... We would, of course, subdivide into Aquanet-assisted and/or stand-alone applications.

laugh
rotflmao Mrs. V!

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
S
S
I have a simplified definition of MB vet that I use. It doesn't depend on MBage(how long you've been around here). I consider someone a vet when I can trust their knowledge about MB as coinciding with the teachings of DrH, and that every post they make is BANG ON. As long as they meet those requirements, I call them "vets" grin

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
M
M
Originally Posted by Scotland
I have a simplified definition of MB vet that I use. It doesn't depend on MBage(how long you've been around here). I consider someone a vet when I can trust their knowledge about MB as coinciding with the teachings of DrH, and that every post they make is BANG ON. As long as they meet those requirements, I call them "vets" grin

That was RIGHT ON!! hurray

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

K
K
Funny - when I hear "Vet" I think of the doctor that used to come out to the farm to help with a sick horse or cow - and sometimes us kids would get him to look at our kitties while the parents weren't looking - cats didn't warrant the fees.

Hmmmm. Perhaps some comparisons are in order???

Cafe Plan B link http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2182650&page=1

The ? that made recovery possible: "Which lovebuster do I do the most that hurts the worst"?

The statement that signaled my personal recovery and the turning point in our marriage recovery: "I don't need to be married that badly!"

If you're interested in saving your relationship, you'll work on it when it's convenient. If you're committed, you'll accept no excuses.
C
C
Originally Posted by Scotland

Those are called people with brains IMO. If you come here and don't recognize the truth when you read DR Hs articles, there is something wrong upstairs.

Now the BSs that just can't belive what is happening to them, and the level of pain and heartbreak they suffer, I can understand why they are reluctant to act, and blame themselves.

But the layman who argues the example that is laid out in MB, well I wonder what planet they came from.

We all have personal agenda for being here, healing, learning, self- examination, and maybe helping also, but it doesn't take a PHD to understand that what DR H is teaching is the best you could find in any marriage, nevermind all forms of relationships, and it covers it all, even if you want to split hairs.

If you get that, and have heard or seen enough Bullchit in your life, maybe you can contribute to helping. But the true Vets are the ones who have been here for years, and submitted thier own personal agendas to the wisdom of the Dr., and have experience that reads between the lines.

Thanks vets! hurray

(Oh darn, I did it again, praised people in a rant thread) faint

Me 56 Former BS
Widowed 5-17-09 --married 25 years.
4 children
DS-35 previous marriage--18-22 DGrandSons 6 and 4
Me former BS
DD-29 with DGDs 5 and 1yr
DSs 26 and 23
Teilhard de Chardin..“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” ...Sounds about right to me.
C
C
Originally Posted by KaylaAndy
Funny - when I hear "Vet" I think of the doctor that used to come out to the farm to help with a sick horse or cow - and sometimes us kids would get him to look at our kitties while the parents weren't looking - cats didn't warrant the fees.

Hmmmm. Perhaps some comparisons are in order???

Interesting comparison KA. Why wouldn't people go to the Dr and get the proper attention and the cure. It can't be the fees, I mean money is not the issue is it?

Or is it the stubborness of insisting things go back to the unhealthy state that brought them here? Afraid of change, even though it is being painfully being made obvious that it is time for it?

I think that most want to go back, and do not want to do the work of maintaining growth and love in the marriage. The question is why?

Betcha DR H would see it quickly, and cut the crap out fast as he saw it, but with wisdom knowing what sort of person he is dealing with.

H
H
My idea of a "vet" is somebody who has survived a war, survived hell - and somehow came out BETTER on the other end of the experience, rather than broken and... ear muffs, kids... here comes that naughty word

bitter.

That takes more than heart, more than brains, more than pure will. It takes that much just to SURVIVE.

Surviving a horrible experience and coming out the other side with the strength and will to be able to talk about it freely, and to support others suffering a similar hell is NOT THE NORMAL HUMAN EXPERIENCE.

It takes a special few who can master their agony and hone it as a weapon of hope for themselves and others.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
S
S
Okay my rant for today...

Tori and Deans "STORYBOOK WEDDING"!!!!!!!! UGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N'uff said....

BW me-41
WH -39
DS - 9
married 12 Yrs together(?) 18 yrs when A discovered
DDay aug 2007
found MB dec 2007
Moved out april 2008
still seeing OW
Plan B

Okay I fixed the ages, it was looking screwy. smile
H
H
Originally Posted by princessmeggy
Okay, then we should add a definition list to the top of the forums. I'll start it:

Vets: members who have been here a long time and who may or may not know MB principles or even own an MB book.

SVets (sneaky vets): members who have been here a long time but who now only appear under false pretenses to (a) mine for email addresses or (b) to try and stir up trouble.

KVet (knowledgeable vets): members who have been here a long time, know the difference between a ham sandwich and a POJA, and post as much as they can to help.

PMBVets (practicing MB vets): members who have been here a long time and who actually practice MB principles, and post as much as they can to help.

U&CMVPVets (Up and coming MVPVets): members who have not been members for a long time, but who are striving to learn about and practice MB principles, and who selflessly post to those who need help.

MVPVets (most valuable player vets): members who have been here a long time, are extremely knowledgeable about and practice MB principles, and selflessly continue to post to those who need help.

PM....how about LFMM-Vets --- Learm from my mistakes-Vet??? cool

dance2

Me 55, XWH 53, M 22 years
D17, D30
alien replaces my husband "I'm not happy" -7/08
Discover OW-8/08 (his direct report and I work there also)
H moves out 10/1/08, confront Ow 10/28/08
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

Quote: "First thing you do is pray; when there is nothing else to do, continue to pray."
C
C
Originally Posted by hope3343
PM....how about LFMM-Vets --- Learm from my mistakes-Vet??? cool

dance2

In my world thats the only kind! At least experience wise in the battles I have been in. The ones I have avoided I only get credit for listening to others who steered me clear. rotflmao

C
C
Ok I have a rant,

Why do people not see that ENs being met are part of the journey of BOTH partners to understand themselves?

That having someone meet your,(sometimes temporary percieved), ENs as YOU see them, is the point?

Example,.. A man decides he needs SF frequently to be happy, and his W gives that to him willingly, only to discover its her willingness he really needs.

Number 2--A Woman decides she needs Recreational Companionship so H goes places and share outside interests willingly, and puts time into the relationship, only to discover what she really wanted was to know he cared about her and her interests.

Those are just two examples of how the BASIC, concepts of ENs apply, the ENs being the ROOT of much more that can be discovered about ourselves and loved ones. ENs will change and some will become more prevelant as time goes on, but they will allways exist as EVIDENCE that someone loves us when some cares enough to meet them.

I can hear guys saying, "Oh darn I gotta sit thru that with her!" or Women saying "Oh not again tonight!" and the undertone that goes with that, instead of appreciating the opportunity to love someone and having the means to also. We all know how that feels.

Too many times the taker is in charge, and the giver is pushed to the rear as being a fool. I don't know about anyone else but I enjoy being a fool when I am in love.

S
S
Thank you, CP! It really was an enlightenment for me... I thought there was sth wrong with me, being unable to decide what my needs truly were...

Originally Posted by ConstantProcess
Ok I have a rant,

Why do people not see that ENs being met are part of the journey of BOTH partners to understand themselves?

That having someone meet your,(sometimes temporary percieved), ENs as YOU see them, is the point?

Example,.. A man decides he needs SF frequently to be happy, and his W gives that to him willingly, only to discover its her willingness he really needs.

Number 2--A Woman decides she needs Recreational Companionship so H goes places and share outside interests willingly, and puts time into the relationship, only to discover what she really wanted was to know he cared about her and her interests.

Those are just two examples of how the BASIC, concepts of ENs apply, the ENs being the ROOT of much more that can be discovered about ourselves and loved ones. ENs will change and some will become more prevelant as time goes on, but they will allways exist as EVIDENCE that someone loves us when some cares enough to meet them.

Me: FWW 31
DH: BH 32
M: April 2001
DSs b 2005 and 2006
EA began summer~autumn 2009, D-Day1 Feb 2010
EA went uglier until NC-letters mid-June 2010
Discovering MB site end of June 2010
D-Day 2 Jul 7, 2010, followed by 2 other D-days (Jul 14, 2010, and Jul 31?, 2010)

Falling back in love - or so it seemed...
H
H
Ok I have a rant,

I can hear guys saying, "Oh darn I gotta sit thru that with her!" or Women saying "Oh not again tonight!" and the undertone that goes with that, instead of appreciating the opportunity to love someone and having the means to also. We all know how that feels.

Too many times the taker is in charge, and the giver is pushed to the rear as being a fool. I don't know about anyone else but I enjoy being a fool when I am in love.

Sometimes people forget that the MB list of emotional needs are CATEGORIES, not specific needs. Those CATEGORIES cover most needs that people had expressed to Dr. Harley as he formulated them.

RC could absolutely be watching TV for one person, or joining a bowling league for another.

And sometimes, people want to stick it all to the hard-copy categorical definition. So, if they feel they have a need that falls outside of one of those categories, it is often because it doesn't fit to the hard-written definition.

Alas, we didn't develop the program, and such don't really have room to argue.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

C
C

Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Sometimes people forget that the MB list of emotional needs are CATEGORIES, not specific needs. Those CATEGORIES cover most needs that people had expressed to Dr. Harley as he formulated them.

RC could absolutely be watching TV for one person, or joining a bowling league for another.

Yeah a little imagination is nessesary wouldn't one think? Or the questionarire would be endless if you had to specify what RC was until it dawned on the user that it applies to them also.

And sometimes, people want to stick it all to the hard-copy categorical definition. So, if they feel they have a need that falls outside of one of those categories, it is often because it doesn't fit to the hard-written definition.

Yes I agree, and I wonder how many people split hairs on wording that DR H probably has painstakingly went over in the questionaires?

The big problem and what frosts my shorts is that people think they are sooo different than everybody else, and won't accept that they have those basic ENs. I blame/credit it to falling in love in the first place, where they thought they were both unique and different, because they had "chemistry", and not seeing that was only the beginning. Also wanting to remain there without changing and growing as life demands us to.

We sometimes don't want to be catagorized and labeled with the same afflictions and weaknesses as others, because that will take out of that "special" love status that we think we have attained, and want to stay in. "Oh, just help me get it back to what it was, I know there are/were problems, but I loved what we had". Such is the drug of "in love", it can stand up to being examined, but we can be so afraid of losing it, we forget its ours to refine.

I can remember thinking "As long as ______, stays the same, and ______happens, I will be happy", only to find that those things change, and I was still challanged to love. Love is separate from being "in-love". We are not able to cover all the bases and love in the purest sense of the word at all times. We can grow and learn to but ussually it comes with mistakes, as we are not perfect but learning how to love as we grow. Meeting each other basic and extended ENs assures us to stay together as we learn.

What a simple science DR H has laid out for us human beings. Simple but not easy unless we are able to listen and open our hearts and minds.

H
H

Yeah a little imagination is nessesary wouldn't one think? Or the questionarire would be endless if you had to specify what RC was until it dawned on the user that it applies to them also.

Yes I agree, and I wonder how many people split hairs on wording that DR H probably has painstakingly went over in the questionaires?

The big problem and what frosts my shorts is that people think they are sooo different than everybody else, and won't accept that they have those basic ENs. I blame/credit it to falling in love in the first place, where they thought they were both unique and different, because they had "chemistry", and not seeing that was only the beginning. Also wanting to remain there without changing and growing as life demands us to.

We sometimes don't want to be catagorized and labeled with the same afflictions and weaknesses as others, because that will take out of that "special" love status that we think we have attained, and want to stay in. "Oh, just help me get it back to what it was, I know there are/were problems, but I loved what we had". Such is the drug of "in love", it can stand up to being examined, but we can be so afraid of losing it, we forget its ours to refine.

I can remember thinking "As long as ______, stays the same, and ______happens, I will be happy", only to find that those things change, and I was still challanged to love. Love is separate from being "in-love". We are not able to cover all the bases and love in the purest sense of the word at all times. We can grow and learn to but ussually it comes with mistakes, as we are not perfect but learning how to love as we grow. Meeting each other basic and extended ENs assures us to stay together as we learn.

What a simple science DR H has laid out for us human beings. Simple but not easy unless we are able to listen and open our hearts and minds.

CP, what I'm wondering, is when Dr. Harley started making his observations about the similarities between addiction and affairs.... and, well... being in love.

Over the past 10 years his observation has been proven physiologically true.

Had a Dr.'s appointment for FWW, and I was reading a magazine in the office about the top 100 scientific discoveries of 2010 - and the fact that the same areas in the brain that become active during drug use and addiction become active when someone views a picture of an ex.

Though, they also saw cognitive centers get lit up, and centers of the brain which associate pain (this was in the case of an ex, mind you).

Oh, those beastly little squishy organs in our skulls. How I hate them sometimes.

C
C
CP, what I'm wondering, is when Dr. Harley started making his observations about the similarities between addiction and affairs.... and, well... being in love.

Over the past 10 years his observation has been proven physiologically true.

Had a Dr.'s appointment for FWW, and I was reading a magazine in the office about the top 100 scientific discoveries of 2010 - and the fact that the same areas in the brain that become active during drug use and addiction become active when someone views a picture of an ex.

Though, they also saw cognitive centers get lit up, and centers of the brain which associate pain (this was in the case of an ex, mind you).

Oh, those beastly little squishy organs in our skulls. How I hate them sometimes.

Of course I cannot find the article.. doh2 but DR H served as an substance abuse counsellor and ran a few clinics for it think 10 years. I am sure he understands the link in our brains to thought, action, habits ,and the feel good areas they serve.

Here is the article that brought me to this site on a google search.

What to do with an alcoholic Spouse

This is the excerpt that brought grace to me, because it is what I allways knew in my heart was true.

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
One of the first things I do when couples see me for counseling is to evaluate them for drug and alcohol addiction. If I feel that either is addicted at the time, I refer the addicted spouse to a treatment program. The Love Buster, drug or alcohol addiction, will prevent them from resolving their marital conflicts because it controls them. It must be eliminated before marital therapy has any hope of being successful.

My job as a marriage counselor begins after successful treatment and sobriety. If the addicted spouse refuses treatment, then I direct the unaddicted spouse to Alanon or some other support group for spouses of alcoholics. Sometimes, I encourage an intervention.

That's what I learned to do after discovering that an alcoholic is so much in love with alcohol, that while in the state of addiction, there is no way for them to consider their spouse's feelings whenever they make decisions, a necessary condition for a great marriage. Alcohol always comes first, even when it is at the spouse's expense.

But even after sobriety is achieved, it's an uphill battle for the couple. The spouses of alcoholics are usually so relieved when treatment is successful that they often think their marital troubles are over. It's true, addiction makes it impossible to resolve marital conflicts. But sobriety itself doesn't solve them -- it simply makes them solvable. Once addiction is overcome, a couple is faced with the legions of other Love Busters that were ignored in the shadow of addiction or were created by addiction.

Here is another link you might find intresting, about how the rest of the brain shuts down when heavly addicted to drugs. The site has a lot of info on brain activity/damage self inflicted and accidental. The section I linked has to do with drug abuse, it is no wonder that addicts have lost the ability to make good decisions.

Images of drug and alcohol abuse by DR, Amen clinic studys.

The cerebal cortex located at the front of the brain, is the worse affected, and where people make thier logical decsions based on fact and enviromental factors. This area is not nessesary to the addict, because they are feeding thier pleasure center located in the center of thier brain,(and the primary place we all feed), with the drug.

Thought, rational, working through problems, fight or flight instints and the reward chemicals get processed through the mind, which gets influenced through experience, thought and behavior habits, implemation and results, and feeds the pleasure/ dopamine center of everyone. Without the full use of all our faculties, how can we function as a person, and be rewarded inwardly for it?

Reminds me of Morpheous in "The Matrix"..."The body cannot survive without the mind" It doesn't without help. The problem is abuse and that is where many use drugs to cope, and become dependant.

That is why I see even developmentally damaged or retarded people act more like adults than the supposeedly "smart" people, and realized there is really no excuse just the ones we make for selfishness. Even a fool like me can act right, learn , and be happy. Its a matter of choices.

C
C
So barring substance abuse, what is feeding the addicted WS pleasure center? The absence of the painful truth that thier thinking has gotten so bad that they would rather run that stay and fight. They wont change or examine the possibility. what they think is spot on and they mold thier minds around it.

The thought patterns and justifications are easily read by people who are not fooled. The fantasies that they lived in as a child are still alive and active somewhere in thier minds, and if those fantasies included honest and open communication and accoutabilty, they would not be having an affair, they would be seeking counsel, or a divorce.

But its hard to imagine that they would have picked someone who was able to meet those needs, and then divorce them later, if thier wasn't some manipulation going on, whether in thier mind newly, or allways there in some way.

Some people just refuse to grow up, I don't mean they don't want to, heck who does?, I mean they refuse to, thats the difference.

1 Samuel 15:23
For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king.

Me 56 Former BS
Widowed 5-17-09 --married 25 years.
4 children
DS-35 previous marriage--18-22 DGrandSons 6 and 4
Me former BS
DD-29 with DGDs 5 and 1yr
DSs 26 and 23
Teilhard de Chardin..“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” ...Sounds about right to me.
P
OP Offline
P
New rant: Waywards stuck in the mud and mire of wayward thinking.

You know, the waywards who refuse to budge? They complain loudly of how muddy they are, how unfair it is that they have to deal with the mud. They even start slinging their mud by blaming others (it�s so much easier that way). Sometimes they blame God or even the man on the street. Their backs get raised when someone dares to suggest to them how to get out of the mud.

The truth? Some people prefer the mud.

Rant over.

C
C
Originally Posted by princessmeggy
New rant: Waywards stuck in the mud and mire of wayward thinking.

You know, the waywards who refuse to budge? They complain loudly of how muddy they are, how unfair it is that they have to deal with the mud. They even start slinging their mud by blaming others (it�s so much easier that way). Sometimes they blame God or even the man on the street. Their backs get raised when someone dares to suggest to them how to get out of the mud.

The truth? Some people prefer the mud.

Rant over.

Lol, Like the little bird?

A little bird was in the nest with its two siblings.
Mother went to get some food, and told them to wait for her
The little bird was impatient and wanted to flutter down to the ground.
The siblings said, "Please don't, your safe up here, Mother wants us to wait!"
The Little bird could not stand to wait, and wanted freedom from these chains
So it fluttered to the ground, only to find itself cold.
The bird started complaining loudly that it was cold
A cow walked over and took a dump on it, covering it with a warm cowpie, and walked away, without a word.
Now the bird complained again it was covered with poop, even though it was warm.
Eventually a fox came becuase of its cries for help, and listening to the birds complaints, asked if it wanted help.
The bird said yes thinking the fox understood, and was such a caring creature.
The fox picked the bird out of the poop, brought him to a stream, dunked him until he was clean, and them ate him.

Moral of the story--Not everyone who takes a dump on you is out to hurt you, and not everybody who listens to your problems and sympahzizes is trying to help you.

Yeah PM, some people just like to sit in the poop and whine

Page 43 of 89 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 88 89

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 432 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation