Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 50 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 49 50
H
H
Originally Posted by Northwood8900
UA time has suffered and is a Catch-22 with me. I understand it's required for this process to work and I see the benefits when it is applied properly with us. But, I'm often in such a place that the thought of UA time doesn't agree with me. Too much resentment and I run the risk of a LB in the conversation. Make sense? I guess the solution is to just plow ahead with it.

Ok, I gotta get stuff done, and quit screwing around on MB, so gonna flesh this out.

I get it. I can't tell you how many times I would be on a dip in the coaster, and I would withdraw... and wish FWW just would GO THE HELL AWAY!!!

Damn you, dragon lady!!!

So, I'd boil over, and AO. And... SHE STILL WOULDN'T GO AWAY!!!!

She did it several times! Damn stubborn woman!

And then I figured... well, she must want me to rage. I'm not going to give her what she wants!

So I'd shut down. AND SHE WAS STILL RIGHT FREAKING THERE!!!

ACK! WHY WON'T YOU GIVE UP!!!! GO AWAY!!!!

You know what she was doing? She was facing the fallout of her decisions. She was standing in the fire that she started.

Know what? I respected her for it. I admired her.

She wasn't going to let me burn alone in the fire she started when she turned her back on me and our M. Ever again.

Think about it.

I'm off to get things together. FWW and I are spending a couple days at a McMenamins ; http://www.mcmenamins.com/Theaters

Good trip for anyone up here in the NW corner of the states!

Last edited by HoldHerHand; 03/30/11 01:42 PM.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
North, how does your FWW react when you withdraw?

We've talked about it and she said it makes her feel bad. She says she feels hurt when I won't tell her what's bothering me.

I was surprised that that was her reaction. I figured she wouldn't give a damn.

Me (BH)
FWW
Married 2000, DS 8, DD 6, DD 2

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by AndyM
NW - your 3rd paragraph about UA time and resentment could have been written by my WW. Unfortunately for me, my WW won't plow through it. She just avoids it - being passive. You're being active. Please keep it up, this is what it will take to get your M back on track. Things are going to be uncomfortable and unnatural at the beginning. Maybe I can get you to see that - I have not been successful with my WW on this front.

And deep down I know that is true. It's just getting that instinct to quiet down that has been the toughest part. It's strange knowing what you should be doing and not doing it. Kind of like smoking, I guess. One week without a smoke today! Boy, I really wanted one last night, came within an inch of going to the store but didn't.

Me (BH)
FWW

N
OP Offline
N
NW - your 3rd paragraph about UA time and resentment could have been written by my WW. Unfortunately for me, my WW won't plow through it. She just avoids it - being passive. You're being active. Please keep it up, this is what it will take to get your M back on track. Things are going to be uncomfortable and unnatural at the beginning. Maybe I can get you to see that - I have not been successful with my WW on this front.

The coaster can be screwed up, Andy. You fight to get them back, and then you go "Wait... do I really want her back?"

Ack!

It's maddening at times.

That just about sums it up. Makes no freaking sense sometimes, but then I'll do a 180 a few hours later.

Me (BH)
FWW

N
OP Offline
N
You know what she was doing? She was facing the fallout of her decisions. She was standing in the fire that she started.

She wasn't going to let me burn alone in the fire she started when she turned her back on me and our M. Ever again.

Think about it.

I'm off to get things together. FWW and I are spending a couple days at a McMenamins ; http://www.mcmenamins.com/Theaters

Hmm. Well, she did kind of say that that is what she's doing. Kind of strange to see it written by a BS and it makes a little more sense now. The perspective is helpful, thanks for that.

Those theaters look really cool--pizza, beer and a movie. Wish we had something like that down here. Hope y'all have a good time.

Me (BH)
FWW

H
H
It's in a few pages of my thread, around November and December.

I was surprised that when she stood in the fire, and stopped making excuses.

Her own words "I ain't going anywhere, ever again."

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

H
H
Originally Posted by Northwood8900

Think about it.

Hmm. Well, she did kind of say that that is what she's doing. Kind of strange to see it written by a BS and it makes a little more sense now. The perspective is helpful, thanks for that.

Those theaters look really cool--pizza, beer and a movie. Wish we had something like that down here. Hope y'all have a good time.

A few of them are full out resorts - a few remodeled schools.

The one we are going to was an old social club or something. We got a room 2 nights, 2 dinners, 2 breakfasts, and free frisbee golf in the middle of Oregon wine country for $250.

Started by looking at the theaters...3 bucks for a movie. We get free admission with the stay!

N
OP Offline
N
free frisbee golf

It sounds like a really good deal, might have to see what is like that around here.

And I'll make a mental note to google frisbee golf. You sure that doesn't involve vast quantities of alcohol? smile

Me (BH)
FWW

P
P
Also called Disc Golf - depending on area of the country.

Some colleges have them and some golf courses will have the baskets set up too.

Good fun!

Me - 46
Wife - 43
2 x DD
Married 18 yrs - known each other for 22 yrs
Woke up 12/2009 and realized I was an idiot for neglecting my WIFE!
N
OP Offline
N
It's in a few pages of my thread, around November and December.

I was surprised that when she stood in the fire, and stopped making excuses.

Her own words "I ain't going anywhere, ever again."

From your thread (12/02/2010) where you spoke of telling her of your anger, this describes my thinking fairly well:

So, I feel better after talking to her - but it wrecks her so bad when I do. On the other hand, when I don't, it seems like it wrecks her just as bad. So, I can't really do good either way. I'm trying to learn to better shape how I talk with her when I get this way, so that I don't feel like I'm some sort of abusive [censored].

And this from 12/3, can you elaborate on what she meant? It sounds like what my wife is trying to say, I could use some insight or a different viewpoint.

I realized after nuking this last time, that her willingness, her ability to stand in the fire is really winning my love and respect.

She tells me that it makes her admire me? WHAT? Well, even when it's that bad - pain and anger - I am being OPEN with her.

Me (BH)
FWW

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Powerbane
Also called Disc Golf - depending on area of the country.

Some colleges have them and some golf courses will have the baskets set up too.

Good fun!

It looks like it! I swear I've never heard of it and thought it sounded like a college drinking game, but now see they even have a Professional Disc Golf Association (PDGA) for it. Huh. Learn something new every day.

Me (BH)
FWW

N
OP Offline
N
Slightly better day today. Thanks, y'all, for the advice to be patient and work through it.

We talked a bit more about yesterday. I'm really humbled with how hard she is trying to right this. She tells me that she sometimes gets scared when I try to hurry this along, but says she knows I've been carrying this since last summer and she's only really, without a doubt at all, been on board for about a week now.

I said I understand. Our communication is improving by leaps and bounds. Wish we had done this back in 2000. Shoulda coulda.

Tonight she (we) read the chapter on AO's in the LB book. She asked a lot of questions, wanted my opinion on what I thought. It was nice.

I think it's getting close to where I mention this forum. Will hold on the decision until after the LB book is done, but she seems to be getting a lot from it having had a bit of trepidation at the start. She doesn't know I post, and I honestly feel guilty for hiding it. Kind of strange. But, crud, most of my thread mentions keyloggers and the like.

Tonight I set the coffee pot to come on in the morning so she won't have to make it herself. A nice gesture that I think she'll appreciate and not the kind of thing the "old me" would have ever thought of or bothered to do. Kind of nice to do something nice sometimes.

On another random note, we watched that "Secret Millionaire" show the other day where this guy gives away money to deserving causes. In the end, he said that the best thing to do to feel better about yourself (and your life, in general) is to do something good for someone else. Yeah, I can see the truth in that.

Me (BH)
FWW

A
A
NW - About the secret millionaire bit - that's true, about doing something for someone else.

Unfortunately on this board, IMHO all BS are trying to do that for our WS, while they're actively trying to put the knife in our back (or remove other parts of our body) at the same time.

BS(me)- 45
WW - 41
D-day 1 - (PA) 01/2011
DS - 6
Exposure: early 02/2011
Started Plan B - 7/11
R
R
Hey I pasted my wifes emails into my thread. LOL

You just have to erase it is all.

FBH,Dad
No half measures, in anything.
S
S
Doing nice things for your spouse is supposed to feel rewarding.

I learned this weekend that humans are by nature self-centered. How do you become "other-centered" when its unnatural? Well, you just do. That's what marriage is supposed to be.

You provide for your spouse and your children before your own needs and she will in turn take care of you.

Its NOT... .NOT a 50/50 relationship. It should be 100/100. You give 100pct and so does she. Its that simple.

When you think of it as 50/50, you will forever be keeping score. It makes your love conditional. ("If he does this...then I will do that...") No, no, no. Just focus on her needs all the time and derive joy in the giving. (Giver / Taker)

SO you started the coffee maching. Perfect ! What next? Bring her the paper? Let her pick the TV show? Serve her the coffee? Or a bowl of ice cream? Bring her a blanket.

Try this, "Honey, can I get you anything right now?" Whatever she is doing, wherever she is... go there right now and say, "Need anything? Can I get you something?"

Me: 43
ExWW: 44
Married 16yrs. 4 children

EA (ExWW): May-Nov 2009 + Aug-Dec 2010
D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Exposure: FEB 7, 2011
Contact Again: Apr 25, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

"I want to be married and stay married. Now I uunderstand the kind of marriage I want and we all deserve. But I also know it takes two to want to Build that Marriage."
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Reynolds531
Hey I pasted my wifes emails into my thread. LOL

You just have to erase it is all.

Yeah, I did that, too. I think 99% of my thread would have to be redacted--would be all blacked out like some secret government document.

Me (BH)
FWW

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by stretch123
Doing nice things for your spouse is supposed to feel rewarding.

I learned this weekend that humans are by nature self-centered. How do you become "other-centered" when its unnatural? Well, you just do. That's what marriage is supposed to be.

You provide for your spouse and your children before your own needs and she will in turn take care of you.

Its NOT... .NOT a 50/50 relationship. It should be 100/100. You give 100pct and so does she. Its that simple.

When you think of it as 50/50, you will forever be keeping score. It makes your love conditional. ("If he does this...then I will do that...") No, no, no. Just focus on her needs all the time and derive joy in the giving. (Giver / Taker)

SO you started the coffee maching. Perfect ! What next? Bring her the paper? Let her pick the TV show? Serve her the coffee? Or a bowl of ice cream? Bring her a blanket.

Try this, "Honey, can I get you anything right now?" Whatever she is doing, wherever she is... go there right now and say, "Need anything? Can I get you something?"

Well, 100/100 sounds easy enough--any theory on how to enact that without my Taker stomping me on the toe smile I'm usually good for about two days of 100% giving before my Taker comes back out.

We had a brief conversation, what the h does she really mean? I'm kind of bummed out, could use a helpful translation:

FWW: I don't want you to focus on me, I don't want to focus on me, I want and you to focus on you. [Got that, guys?] I feel guilty for all the crap I've done and don't feel like I deserve anything good to happen to me, especially from you.

My response was asking her to try to cut herself some slack, that I'm not out to punish her, asked her to let me love her without feeling guilty for that, and that if she could see herself through my eyes she wouldn't be so hard on herself [thanks, guys, by the way, for that quote--it's just what I was trying to say]. Then she teared up and then the kids came busting in wanting their needs taken care of smile and she left with one to get take-out. But it was an honest, intimate conversation and one of the few that she's allowed to happen with me.

Kind of nice.

So the conversation is kind of hanging out there, will probably resume tonight. I need to regroup, what is she trying to tell me and what are the things that she wouldn't want to hear? I want to tell her that while I do appreciate just compensation, I do want her to let me in and start trusting me again because I have no bad motives here. Sorry if this is stuff I should figure out myself, but maybe someone's heard this before and can offer input.

Me (BH)
FWW

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by stretch123

Thanks for the refresher, stretch. Will come up with something. Just a little down, running out of energy most of the time.

Me (BH)
FWW

A
A
Stretch and NW - What am I? the f' contrarian. LOL This week during MC my WW told me that I was doing TOO MUCH. For example, I usually pick something up if she drops it and I'm standing there. She forgets her slippers upstairs. No big deal, I go and get them. She doesn't like to fill up her car with gas - I do it. Why do I do these things? Because I WANT TO DO THEM. However, this week I was critized for doing these things. I guess I have to be less nice. Geez. I'm sorry, speaking as a guy, women are difficult to figure out. Oh yeah, mine also hates jewelry, flowers and candy. Kind of limits the traditional gift list.

BS(me)- 45
WW - 41
D-day 1 - (PA) 01/2011
DS - 6
Exposure: early 02/2011
Started Plan B - 7/11
N
OP Offline
N
Stretch and NW - What am I? the f' contrarian. LOL This week during MC my WW told me that I was doing TOO MUCH.

Sheesh, your WW is making this so easy. I'll just copy and paste my "translation" to her other speech that she gave you--

WW Translation: "Why the hell won't Andy blow a gasket and justify what I'm thinking? Crud, he keeps doing these nice things and it's making me look bad, like I lied when I told everyone was a lousy POS he is. Wait, I know, I'll tell him that he's being too nice and that I'm not even going to say "Thank You" so that he'll think I'm a meanie, that ought to get a reaction!"

Me (BH)
FWW

Page 21 of 50 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 49 50

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 827 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation