Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19
M
M
p.s. is there any chance that you and your wife could get away for a weekend on your own, without kids?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by markos
The rest of the day that I posted didn't go very well. Prisca cornered me in our room and I had an angry outburst. I should have gone out the other way. We tried to spend time together with our children on the beach, but I had an angry outburst there, as well.

Markos, is she proactively stopping behavior that triggers your angry outbursts? It doesn't sound like it here.

If I can break that down into three areas that I have been angry about:
* Independent behavior: YES! This has almost completely stopped!
* Disrespectful judgments from Prisca: she has made some progress
* Engaging with me in UA time (meeting my emotional needs and letting me meet hers): this varies greatly from day to day. But this third issue is different from the others in that I can't demand that she do UA time. If I'm always acknowledging her right to decline to participate or to back out if she decides she feels differently at the time, then I'm going to have to learn how to not have an AO over the resentment.

Did you go to Galveston?

Corpus Christi, actually. smile We took a roundabout way back home that brought us through Wharton, which is as close as we got to Galveston or Houston.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
p.s. is there any chance that you and your wife could get away for a weekend on your own, without kids?

I don't know; the last time we were able to do that was the Marriage Builders weekend, a year ago. My parents haven't provided any support for that, ever. One of the reasons we moved to Prisca's hometown was in the hope that her family would sometimes help with the children, and they have done that somewhat, but I'm reluctant to ask too often lest we overload anyone.

For MB weekend my sister took one of our children and Prisca's mother and sisters took the rest, split up between them. It would be great to do something like that again.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2496849 04/12/11 11:54 AM
S
S
I thought MelodyLane was offering to help!

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Markos, is she proactively stopping behavior that triggers your angry outbursts? It doesn't sound like it here. While you and I both know you are 100% responsible for your AO's, she needs to stop doing things that trigger them.

It would also be helpful if she'd respect my requests to disengage from a conversation. She came to me later in our bedroom and I was basically cornered (though I could have gone out the bathroom) and didn't want to take "no" for an answer about discussing it.

markos #2496890 04/12/11 01:07 PM
M
M
[
For MB weekend my sister took one of our children and Prisca's mother and sisters took the rest, split up between them. It would be great to do something like that again.

Can your church help you out with this? How much does it cost to hire babysitters these days?

And yes, Sugarcane, I can offer my babysitting services! I will tie those little hellions up!! stickout

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

markos #2496900 04/12/11 01:28 PM
S
S
Markos, is she proactively stopping behavior that triggers your angry outbursts? It doesn't sound like it here. While you and I both know you are 100% responsible for your AO's, she needs to stop doing things that trigger them.

It would also be helpful if she'd respect my requests to disengage from a conversation. She came to me later in our bedroom and I was basically cornered (though I could have gone out the bathroom) and didn't want to take "no" for an answer about discussing it.

I guess I am not clear on why you so often seem to want to disengage from a conversation. I can tell you that I found it VERY frustrating to want to discuss something and be told I had to stop the conversation.

What happens that makes you need to stop the discussion?

M
M
SmilingWoman, the usual reason I want to stop a discussion, when I feel that way, is love busters on Prisca's part (disrespectful judgments, and occasionally angry outbursts). Sometimes it is simply the fact that I am frustrated.

Here's a sentence from my anger management therapist: "Sometimes others feel that I have a choice between staying and having a calm discussion or leaving, when really the choice I have is between leaving or staying and blowing up." This is a temporary stage I am living in now until we can say that my anger is completely under control. Dr. Harley, my anger management therapist, my MB coach, and I all agree on the need for me to sometimes stop and withdraw from a conversation and calm down and come back to the conflict to try to resolve it later. I think Prisca agrees, too, but in practice she doesn't always agree to it in the heat of the moment.

My anger management therapist's top two rules for men when angry are:
1. SHUT UP
2. LEAVE (quietly, without expressing any anger or disrespect)

Dr. Harley himself says not to say or do anything when angry. If emotions are running high, it is necessary to cool down.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3350_guide.html

Ground Rule #3:
If you reach an impasse where you do not seem to be
getting anywhere, or if one of you is starting
to make demands, show disrespect, or become angry,
stop negotiating and come back to the issue later.

Just because you can't resolve a problem at a particular point in time doesn't mean you can't find an intelligent solution in the future. Don't let an impasse prevent you from giving yourself a chance to think about the issue. Let it incubate for a while, and you'll be amazed what your mind can do.

If your negotiation turns sour, and one of you succumbs to the temptation of the Taker with demands, disrespect or anger, end the discussion by changing the subject to something more pleasant. After a brief pause, your spouse may apologize and wish to return to the subject that was so upsetting. But don't go back into the minefield until it has been swept clear of mines. The mines, of course, are demands, disrespect and anger, and you must discuss how to avoid them before you return to the issue. You can't negotiate if your Takers' destructive instincts control your discussion.

markos #2496930 04/12/11 02:31 PM
P
P
1. SHUT UP

Wondering ....

Are there different rules for an angry woman?

M
M
My therapist specializes in men. I'm not sure what differences he'd make for women. I've seen his book adapted for an online course that can apparently be taken by either men or women, but I haven't taken the course.

M
M
Originally Posted by SmilingWoman

I guess I am not clear on why you so often seem to want to disengage from a conversation. I can tell you that I found it VERY frustrating to want to discuss something and be told I had to stop the conversation.

What happens that makes you need to stop the discussion?

SmilingWoman, the goal is not to leave Prisca stuck in a situation where she can't get a conflict resolved. The goal is not to subject Prisca to angry outbursts and to keep me from engaging in behavior that reinforces the habit of angry outbursts.

Most often it is actually me who wants to resolve a conflict and Prisca who doesn't want to talk about it, or me who wants to resolve a conflict but is putting it on hold. I agree it's very frustrating to want to discuss something and for your spouse not to be enthusiastic about discussing it.

But I also feel like the policy of joint agreement should hold sway in every area of marriage, even conversation. If Prisca doesn't want to talk about something, I have to respect that and look for something else to talk about.

markos #2496941 04/12/11 02:49 PM
S
S
SmilingWoman, the usual reason I want to stop a discussion, when I feel that way, is love busters on Prisca's part (disrespectful judgments, and occasionally angry outbursts). Sometimes it is simply the fact that I am frustrated.

Here's a sentence from my anger management therapist: "Sometimes others feel that I have a choice between staying and having a calm discussion or leaving, when really the choice I have is between leaving or staying and blowing up." This is a temporary stage I am living in now until we can say that my anger is completely under control. Dr. Harley, my anger management therapist, my MB coach, and I all agree on the need for me to sometimes stop and withdraw from a conversation and calm down and come back to the conflict to try to resolve it later. I think Prisca agrees, too, but in practice she doesn't always agree to it in the heat of the moment.

1. SHUT UP

Dr. Harley himself says not to say or do anything when angry. If emotions are running high, it is necessary to cool down.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3350_guide.html

Ground Rule #3:
If you reach an impasse where you do not seem to be
getting anywhere, or if one of you is starting
to make demands, show disrespect, or become angry,
stop negotiating and come back to the issue later.

Just because you can't resolve a problem at a particular point in time doesn't mean you can't find an intelligent solution in the future. Don't let an impasse prevent you from giving yourself a chance to think about the issue. Let it incubate for a while, and you'll be amazed what your mind can do.

If your negotiation turns sour, and one of you succumbs to the temptation of the Taker with demands, disrespect or anger, end the discussion by changing the subject to something more pleasant. After a brief pause, your spouse may apologize and wish to return to the subject that was so upsetting. But don't go back into the minefield until it has been swept clear of mines. The mines, of course, are demands, disrespect and anger, and you must discuss how to avoid them before you return to the issue. You can't negotiate if your Takers' destructive instincts control your discussion.

Of course if you need to leave the discussion and/or the room to avoid a AO of your own that is what you should do.

Hope you can find a way to control yourself internally soon.

M
M
Well, Prisca cancelled our scheduled trip to the gym tonight. I'm disappointed, but I haven't had an angry outburst.

I took four of the children to McDonald's and let them run around on the playground. I think they had fun.

markos #2497049 04/12/11 07:40 PM
M
M
Well, Prisca cancelled our scheduled trip to the gym tonight. I'm disappointed, but I haven't had an angry outburst.

I took four of the children to McDonald's and let them run around on the playground. I think they had fun.

Good job on not having an AO!!!

Markos, do you think she would be more willing to spend time with you if she had more breaks from the kids? I have to be honest and say that if I had that many kids I would be EXHAUSTED. I had 2 sons, 17 months apart and I thought I was going to lose my mind.

Exposure 101

markos #2497050 04/12/11 07:41 PM
M
M
Prisca was quiet most of the day, from the very beginning, but didn't tell me why and insisted she was okay. She later complained she was lonely, but I don't know how to take away her loneliness when she doesn't want to talk to me. This has been my great struggle for years, and it's only gotten worse. We used to have such wonderful conversations during the day. I of course am lonely, too.

I don't know what happened. She seemed very happy last night. We drove an hour away to another city and had ice cream, the children fell asleep on the way back and we had great conversation which continued after we got home and put everybody to bed. But this morning she was withdrawn and didn't want to tell me why.

markos #2497053 04/12/11 07:46 PM
M
M
My MB coach renewed contact with me again today. We had a phone call and she asked several questions about the anger management program I'm in and discussed moving us to one of the emotional needs lessons if Prisca wants to. (We talked about it awhile back, and she did at the time.) We've been at this a year and haven't done any work on meeting emotional needs.

markos #2497054 04/12/11 07:51 PM
M
M
Do you have Kim or Sandy?

Exposure 101

M
M
Kim.

markos #2497091 04/12/11 09:03 PM
M
M
Earlier this year Prisca told me I was nothing but a paycheck to her and that she wished I'd cheat on her so that she could divorce me.

Now after spending the day not talking to me and cancelling our UA time together, she's asking me about the budget because she wants to buy something.

I feel the same all over again, but I can't bring up the mistakes of the past, so I don't know what to say. I feel like time spent together is a lower priority than shopping.

markos #2497101 04/12/11 09:16 PM
M
M
It came out that she has negative feelings about this morning, even though she told me she was "okay." Now she is mad at me for saying I consider that dishonest.

Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 252 guests, and 73 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation