Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 47 1 2 3 4 5 46 47
S
S
I tell you, it really makes me laugh just looking for the next joke to send to her. I'm cracking up at some of these now
Laughing is good for the soul. Good clean humour can do WONDERS for someone in plan A. laugh

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
M
OP Offline
M
I was wondering about something today. My wife told me in a conversation we had a few days ago that she told our 7 yr old daughter that "mommy and daddy just can't be together right now."

Understand that I am currently in Plan A. The exposure took place months ago to family and friends, but the person who would be most impacted by the divorce, our daughter, has been told a half truth. We are about 2 1/2 weeks away from mediation, which neither of us can afford. I don't know if it is even possible to stop the divorce now that we have gone through many stages.

Would it be beneficial to me and my hopes of pulling our family back from the grave to tell our daughter now? The mandatory parenting class we had to go to stated that children should not be involved in adult affairs, but I believe that was for those who had conceded to the divorce and to go their seperate ways. I obviously want my family back together.

If I do tell my daughter, how do i do it?

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
DDay - Early November 2010
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

1 Corinthians 13:7: (LOVE) Beareth all things, believeth all things, HOPETH all things, endureth all things.
M
M
Originally Posted by marksaysay
Would it be beneficial to me and my hopes of pulling our family back from the grave to tell our daughter now? The mandatory parenting class we had to go to stated that children should not be involved in adult affairs, but I believe that was for those who had conceded to the divorce and to go their seperate ways. I obviously want my family back together.

It may be too late to save your marriage, but it is not too late to correct the lie that was told to your daughter. I agree that children should not be involved in affairs, but it is a little too late for that. Your wife is having an affair and your DD's life is being wrecked because of it. So she is already neck deep in involvement but is being tricked and lied to about the cause.

She has a right and a need to know the truth about her own life. It is not helpful to your wife, you or your daughter to whitewash the crime of your wife. It just causes your DD confusion and teaches her to be dishonest herself.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

Tell her the whole truth. By yourself. And then encourage her to ask her mother any questions about her affair. I would be sure and explain WHY adultery is immoral. If you leave out the morality, she will conclude you are endorsing adultery.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
Do you really think it's too late to save the marriage? If so, maybe it wouldn't be worth the backlash that this bomb would cause.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

1 Corinthians 13:7: (LOVE) Beareth all things, believeth all things, HOPETH all things, endureth all things.
M
M
Do you really think it's too late to save the marriage? If so, maybe it wouldn't be worth the backlash that this bomb would cause.

There should have been a backlash when your wife lied to your daughter. If its ok for your wife to lie to her, its ok for you to tell her the truth. I don't think its too late to save your marriage. And more importantly I don't think its too late to do the right thing and tell your daughter the truth. That is your parental responsibility to tell her the truth.

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
Just how much do I tell. I'm really willing to do it since I get my daughter on Friday. How far do I go? Should I really encourage her to ask her mom questions?

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

M
M
Just how much do I tell. I'm really willing to do it since I get my daughter on Friday. How far do I go? Should I really encourage her to ask her mom questions?

I would tell her all about the affair and how it has led to the divorce. Let her know why adultery is immoral and tell her all about the OM. And yes, she should be encouraged to speak to her mother. She has a right to know why she ruined her family over a cheap thrill. Your WW has much to answer for.

Exposure 101

M
M
p.s. and I don't care what some crapwit at the divorce court says. They don't give a rip about your child and are certainly not qualified to give you advice about child rearing.

Exposure 101

M
M
Dr. Harley on telling the children:

The same can be said about telling children about an affair. My experience with the positive outcomes of hundreds of families where an affair has been exposed to children has led me to encourage a betrayed spouse not to fear such exposure. In fact, to mislead children, giving other false explanations as to why their parents are not getting along, causes children to be very confused. When they finally discover the truth, it sets an example to children that dishonesty is sometimes acceptable, making them the judge of when that might occur.

An affair is an attack on children as well as the betrayed spouse. And it's true that children are deeply affected by this form of irresponsible behavior. But it's the act of infidelity that causes children to suffer, not the exposure of it. Facts point us toward solutions. Illusion leads us astray. That's true for children as well as adults.
here

Q: So, you do suggest telling our 10 year old son? Is this more than he can handle? He never saw any real unhappiness as my husband and I had a very low conflict marriage. I have been protecting our son from this truth. He still has hope that his dad is going to come home.
A: As for your son, the truth will come out eventually, even if you get back together again. And your son won't be emotionally crippled if he hears the truth. It's lies and deception that cripple children. He should know that your husband is choosing his lover over his son's mother. It's a fact. He's willing to ruin a family unit all for what.

When I first started recommending openness about an affair, I wasn't sure what would happen. But I did it because I knew it was the right thing to do. Now I know that for most couples it marks the beginning of recovery.

The reason that children should know about an affair is that exposing it to the light of day (letting everyone know), helps give the unfaithful spouse a dose of reality. An affair thrives on illusion, and whatever a betrayed spouse can do to eliminate the illusion is justifiable. Mold doesn't grow well in sunlight.
here

2. How honest should I be about the A? (they are 7 and under)

Tell your children as much as you can about their father's affair, and how it affects you. There are some counselors and lawyers that strongly disagree with me on this issue, but I have maintained that position for over 35 years without any evidence that children are hurt by it. They're hurt by the affair, not by accurate information regarding the affair. Just make sure that you don't combine accurate information with disrespectful judgments. For example, you can say that the OW has taken their father away from you, but you should not say that she is home-wrecker (or worse).
here

My basic approach to life is that radical honesty is valuable on many different dimensions. It keeps us out of trouble, it helps others understand us, and it helps others avoid the same mistakes we have made. Letting your children know the details of your husband's affair would help them in all three areas.

The more your children know about your husband's affair, the more careful he will be to avoid them in the future.

The more your children know about his affair, the more they will understand what you are going through in your recovery (by the way, you are doing very well -- keep up the good work!).

Being radically honest about your husband's affair with your children would also help them avoid affairs themselves. How it happened and how could it have been prevented is a great object lesson for children. I learned that I was vulnerable for an affair when I learned about my grandfather's affairs. The extraordinary precautions I've taken were directly related to what I learned about him.

It's the approach I've always taken, and while it's difficult, especially for the WS, there's much more upside to it than downside.

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
I don't know if you're familiar with everything my wife has done but obviously there was the affair which was a one night stand. But since then, she has been calling, texting, emailing, all types of guys, many of which she has met through a dating website. She obviously has said that the affair and the subsequent activities have nothing to do with the divorce (fog babble).

The problem I've had all along is that her Christian mother says this is a part of seperation/divorce. Her father thinks that waiting to date and all of the other stuff is okay once you file for divorce. Other family members know, too, and don't say anything.

Maybe our daughter will be just the person to bring her back to her senses. Who knows. It's been 6+ months now and maybe she is just too far to come back.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

M
M
I don't know if you're familiar with everything my wife has done but obviously there was the affair which was a one night stand. But since then, she has been calling, texting, emailing, all types of guys, many of which she has met through a dating website. She obviously has said that the affair and the subsequent activities have nothing to do with the divorce (fog babble).

I would tell your daughter that your wife has this history and this is why you are getting divorced. Basically, she wants a divorce so she can chase men.

I think it is even more imperative that you tell your daughter because your wife's man chasing puts her at great risk. Your DD needs to know what your wife is doing and dangerous this lifestyle is. This way your DD will free to talk to you about any men she is introduced to. That is a great danger to your dd, you realize this, right?

Exposure 101

M
M
Maybe our daughter will be just the person to bring her back to her senses. Who knows. It's been 6+ months now and maybe she is just too far to come back.

We have had waywards who were very shaken up by their children finding out the truth. It is no guarantee, though.

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

We have had waywards who were very shaken up by their children finding out the truth. It is no guarantee, though.

I know there are no guarantees, but I guess anything is worth a try. But I know that my wife is knee deep in the fog now. She is also very stubborn as she has stated it on a number of occasions.

I do agree with you that our daughter needs to know the truth regardless of what happens. I'm just trying to figure out what type of language to use with a 7 yr old. Affair, adultery, sex, infidelity, etc.

Last edited by marksaysay; 04/20/11 09:23 PM.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

M
OP Offline
M
I was wondering about something today. My wife told me in a conversation we had a few days ago that she told our 7 yr old daughter that "mommy and daddy just can't be together right now."

Understand that I am currently in Plan A. The exposure took place months ago to family and friends, but the person who would be most impacted by the divorce, our daughter, has been told a half truth. We are about 2 1/2 weeks away from mediation, which neither of us can afford. I don't know if it is even possible to stop the divorce now that we have gone through many stages.

I posted this same question on another forum and the overwhelming reply was a resounding no. There were some who were adamant about being truthful which is where I stand but many feel it would be more damaging to our daughter.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

X
Xau Offline
X
You absolutely tell her the truth, your wifes dishonestly will have confused her. Your telling her the truth helps her understand what is happening and allows you to be there when she wants to talk. Not telling causes a gap in her understanding of what is happening, it allows your wife to continue to lie to her and confuse her and removes from her the support you can give her if she asks questions. More importantly she knows she can trust you and you are there for her.

Sit with her , use the word affair, explain affair in simple terms and let her know it is wrong for married people to have affairs. Explain she is not the cause of the problem and you will always be there and love her. Let her know she can ask you any questions

Last edited by Xau; 04/21/11 04:59 PM.
M
M
I posted this same question on another forum and the overwhelming reply was a resounding no. There were some who were adamant about being truthful which is where I stand but many feel it would be more damaging to our daughter.

Sorry, but that is nonsense that they can't possibly back up. Are any of them licensed clinical psychologists? You are ultimately responsible for the welfare of your child so whose advice are you going to take? A licensed clinical psychologist who has specialized in adultery for 40 years or some crapwits on the internet with a keyboard and an opinion? just me, but I think I will put my money on Dr Harley!

Lying to children is POISON. It just teaches them dishonesty.

Originally Posted by Dr Willard Harley, licensed clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders
Zelmo (and others):

My position on many aspects of marital therapy has been admittedly controversial when first expressed. His Needs, Her Needs was ripped by many therapists in 1986 when it was first published because they didn't believe that men and women's emotional needs were different. Today, there are very few that believe that anymore.

My position on conflict management (Policy of Joint Agreement) was also roundly criticized by some feminists as giving away women's right to independence. Of course, most of these critics were not in favor of marriage in the first place. But today, the idea of finding mutually adventageous solutions to problems in marriage is main-stream.

And, my position on radical honesty and transparency in marriage, which was definitely not in the tool box of most counselors when I first brought it up, is now becoming much more accepted by therapists working in the trenches.

At first, whenever I came up with a new idea, I'd try it out on the couples I counseled. My goal was always to "do no harm" in my effort to help. I was very concerned about unintended consequences. But as I created methods that were logical outcomes of my basic theory, I found that these methods worked amazingly well every time they were implemented. That's why I can speak with such confidence today. I've personally witnessed thousands of successful outcomes when couples learn to meet each other's emotional needs, learn to make decisions with mutual enthusiastic agreement, and learn to be radically honest with each other.

The same can be said about telling children about an affair. My experience with the positive outcomes of hundreds of families where an affair has been exposed to children has led me to encourage a betrayed spouse not to fear such exposure. In fact, to mislead children, giving other false explanations as to why their parents are not getting along, causes children to be very confused. When they finally discover the truth, it sets an example to children that dishonesty is sometimes acceptable, making them the judge of when that might occur.

An affair is an attack on children as well as the betrayed spouse. And it's true that children are deeply affected by this form of irresponsible behavior. But it's the act of infidelity that causes children to suffer, not the exposure of it. Facts point us toward solutions. Illusion leads us astray. That's true for children as well as adults.

Best wishes,
Dr. Harley
here

Exposure 101

M
M
Lying to kids about their lives is the equivalent of rearranging the furniture in the home of a blind person. You just screw with that person's REALITY.

Anyone who thinks it is ok to lie to kids just to whitewash the bad behavior of one parent is an accessory to the crime and leaves that child vulnerable to the wayward parent. It is not the truth that harms little kids, but lies and adultery.

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks all for the feedback. I really think this helped me to make a decision.

I will say that on the other forum, they told me that if I bring up the infidelity, I must also bring up my porn issue because that's what made my wife feel the need to cheat.

My reply to that was that our marital problems are one thing. The infidelity is something totally different. Our family has not broken up because of the porn issue I had, it broke up because my wife has decided to commit adultery and she doesn't want to stop.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

M
M
My reply to that was that our marital problems are one thing. The infidelity is something totally different. Our family has not broken up because of the porn issue I had, it broke up because my wife has decided to commit adultery and she doesn't want to stop.

You are absolutely right! The point is not to confess your dirty laundry to a child, but to explain the truth about the breakup of her parent's marriage. Your friends sound somewhat foggy headed.

Exposure 101

Page 3 of 47 1 2 3 4 5 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 893 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation