Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 30 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 29 30
X
Xau Offline
X
And do not be intimidated by him , he is angry because he can't get his own way. Hold the line

M
M
Originally Posted by Xau
And do not be intimidated by him , he is angry because he can't get his own way. Hold the line

too late for that.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
Here was his email to me:

That was an entire email about nothing. You are talking out both sides of your mouth, telling me that the boys miss me and want to see me, but that I can't see them; telling me that we need to work this out as soon as possible, but cancelling a meeting with me. Please explain to me how we are supposed to get this worked out if you won't meet with me and won't even talk to me? You get whatever [our IM] deems is appropriate based on your request to her, which will probably include none of this message. The opinions of your family, my family, and our friends, who are receiving your rationing of propaganda, are entirely irrelevant to my visitation with my children. It is not always about you, Hyacinth.

You have now violated our custody agreement, unofficial though it may be. You have spent the last five months sandbagging me with [our tenant in the rental house he's been wanting to move into but who has dragged her feet because her first husband did this to her]. You have attempted to hold me captive since this began by taking things like my house key, my truck key, my birth certificate and my passport, and refusing to return them. I don't really give a f--- about any of my possessions, and I don't really give a f--- about money. But you have no right to keep me from my children. Up until this point I have danced to your tune. But it has now become unreasonable. You tell me that we are going to work this out; how, when it sometimes takes you a week (and a reminder from me) to respond to my e-mails? You send me a message, and I respond within a few hours, or immediately if there is something time sensitive. I send you messages and I get responses days later, leaving me to wonder if you ever got it. I will not live like this.

You know you have me in a bad position because I am going to be gone for the next week. That means I will go two weeks without seeing them. So, start working it out. What is your suggestion? And I want responses soon. You have to realize that, as it stands right this minute, there is nothing for me to gain by not immediately going to a lawyer. The only reason I am not is because it is now too late today, and I will be in California all week next week. Don't think I don't appreciate your timing.

I do not say this even remotely as a threat; I am just stating a fact: if this isn't worked out immediately (and I'm not talking as in you decide to email me next week some time), then when I come back I am contacting a lawyer and we can let the court work it out. It will cost us a bunch of money, it will be a much less desirable situation, and neither of us will like the result, I can guarantee you that. But you leave me no choice. You are using the only thing I give a damn about to put pressure on me. There is absolutely no benefit to me sitting here and taking it. I have no money, and now no contact with my children; explain to me how it could get worse? The carrot and the stick only work if used together. A course of all stick loses its effectiveness because eventually the donkey realizes that he has nothing to lose.

I hope to hear from you very soon. Like immediately

Me (BW, 40), WH (42)
Married 18 yrs (together 24)
2 sons: 3 and 5

PA OW#1: 11/10/10 - 11/12/10 on business trip
Became EA: 11/13/11 (OW#1 2,000 miles away)
D-Day: 11/18/10
Confronted: 11/20/10
Kicked him out: 12/15/10
Plan A: 01/08/11
PA OW#2 started: 04/02/11
D-DAY OW#2: 04/11/11
Plan B: 04/11/11

N
N
Well, was that email you posted your response to his email or something you sent earlier?

If you haven't responded, then don't. Bullies like that, so don't play that game.

Me (BH)
FWW
Married 2000, DS 8, DD 6, DD 2

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Are you kidding me? You sent him that? You sent him a letter telling him you would not have contact with him and then you tell him in the last paragraph that you will have contact with him??

Is this a joke?

If you are not serious about Plan B, then just abandon it, H. What you are doing here is what Dr Harley calls "PLAN C", for compromise, which is the most likely to lead to divorce. As far as I am concerned, you have just emboldened a bully and demonstrated to him that you have no credibility and are not serious.

And that is ok. It is your life and your Plan. But why even keep up the pretense?

I get what you're saying, but we need a custody agreement. So what should I do?

Me (BW, 40), WH (42)

M
M
This is a disaster. And for absolutely no good reason.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Northwood8900
Well, was that email you posted your response to his email or something you sent earlier?

If you haven't responded, then don't. Bullies like that, so don't play that game.

That was the email I sent telling him the meeting was canceled. Not a response to anything.

Me (BW, 40), WH (42)

M
M
Originally Posted by Hyacinth
[I get what you're saying, but we need a custody agreement. So what should I do?

STOP contacting him. Stop responding to him. Period. If he tries to contact you directly again, ask your IM to contact him and tell him that all communication needs to go through her.

Exposure 101

N
N
Just saw your post with his email.

I'd strongly avoid the urge to tell him to go eff himself and NOT RESPOND AT ALL!!!

Let the little boy run to an attorney. Maybe it'll get him to crap or get off the pot.

He's just mad because you are calling the shots and he isn't used to that. Tough.

Me (BH)
FWW
Married 2000, DS 8, DD 6, DD 2

R
R
I agree about doing nothing.
Zip

M
M
She is still stuck at work in a big meeting, but texted me to say he responded and said he is livid and wants an immediate response from me. Here's where I KNOW I did what I shouldn't have done, so go ahead and 2x4 me. She isn't able to edit the email right now due to work. I was worried that he was thinking of calling the police (I think I mentioned he's in a line of work where they would cooperate with him even if he wasn't completely in the right). She stressed that he wanted an IMMEDIATE response, so I told her to forward the entire email to me. So I've read it.

This is where the train went off the tracks. Just because your bully husband is "mad" and "demands" an immediate response, does not mean he gets it. Your IM should have NEVER reacted to that. There was absolutely no reason to respond and every reason NOT to respond.

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
So totally ignore him? And not let him see his kids?

I am prepared to do that. I have an appointment with another lawyer next week while he is gone. However, my bet is that the lawyer is going to tell me I have to let him see the kids and since we have no custody agreement, he is going to shack them up with OW, at this point just to spite me. I legally CANNOT deny him access to his kids, and if he doesn't want to agree to keep OW out of their life, there's nothing I can do about it.

Should she even tell him she told me any of that information at all?

Me (BW, 40), WH (42)

X
Xau Offline
X
Better still as he claims he has no money how does he intend to pay for the attorney, what is done is done , take it as a learning.

Next time hunker down .

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Xau
Better still as he claims he has no money how does he intend to pay for the attorney, what is done is done , take it as a learning.

Next time hunker down .

I discovered he just took out a $5,000 personal loan. So he CAN afford an attorney. I'm the one who can't.

Me (BW, 40), WH (42)

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
This is where the train went off the tracks. Just because your bully husband is "mad" and "demands" an immediate response, does not mean he gets it. Your IM should have NEVER reacted to that. There was absolutely no reason to respond and every reason NOT to respond.
I have to apologize to you. I knew when I told her to forward it to me that I shouldn't ask her and she shouldn't do it, but I panicked and I did it anyway. I am trying to learn to give up control here and stop relying on my poor judgment, listen to what you all have to say, and follow your advice.

Me (BW, 40), WH (42)

X
Xau Offline
X
You can include a clause that your children are not to be with the OW , he will challenge it, you hold out for it, you are not denying him his children you are denying the OW access to your family. A big difference.

The lawyer works for you so he formalises the words to your requirements.

Last edited by Xau; 05/13/11 04:06 PM.
M
M
So totally ignore him? And not let him see his kids?

I am prepared to do that. I have an appointment with another lawyer next week while he is gone. However, my bet is that the lawyer is going to tell me I have to let him see the kids and since we have no custody agreement, he is going to shack them up with OW, at this point just to spite me. I legally CANNOT deny him access to his kids, and if he doesn't want to agree to keep OW out of their life, there's nothing I can do about it.

Should she even tell him she told me any of that information at all?

Do not withhold your kids from him. Have the IM send him a message that they are not to be exposed to his affair. If he can't promise that, then you are not letting the kids around him. If he will agree to not expose them to the OW he can see them.

And you tell that damn attorney that your kids are NOT to be around the OW and she NEEDS TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN. You see, the attorney works for YOU, not the other way around. Attorneys will typically take the easiest, softest route because they want their job to be easy. They will ALWAYS advocate the path of least resistance because they don't give a ratsass about your kids and they don't care about your marriage.

Your IM should have told you NONE of this today. None of it.

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Xau
You can include a clause that your children are not to be with the OW , he will challenge it, you hold out for it, you are not denying him his children you are denying the OW access to your family. A big difference.

The lawyer work for you so he formalises the words to your requirements.

The best divorce firm in the city told me that I can't get this included if he fights it.

Me (BW, 40), WH (42)

M
M
Originally Posted by Xau

Next time hunker down .

I discovered he just took out a $5,000 personal loan. So he CAN afford an attorney. I'm the one who can't.

Can you take a credit card out in his name?

Exposure 101

R
R
No she shouldn't tell him she told you the info.
Have her practice saying "I am only passing pertinent facts. Thank you for sharing."
Then, she should only pass those facts. whatever is happening (either with kids schedules or health or financial issues).

I will let others reply on the kid issue. (I have kids but haven't had this situation)

Last edited by reading; 05/13/11 04:10 PM.
Page 15 of 30 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 473 guests, and 79 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation