Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 41 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 40 41
MelodyLane #2514236 05/30/11 11:24 AM
M
OP Offline
M
OK. I will be smarter and so will she. Im not 100% sure why she dialed, I was right there, but only to tell him to take care of his wife. There will be no contact. Im reviewing her cell phone calls and emails and guarding her like never before. I was right there when she spoke to him, it was short, curt, and to the point. Maybe it triggered something, I dont know for sure, but I will be smarter not to let it happen.

My wife and I would like to read the books first and then make the decision to seek the Harleys help. It does seem likely as many of your are devoted and happily married because of doing so. So let me digest and get help from the material coming and we'll make the next step accordingly.

42M
MikeSmile #2514237 05/30/11 11:26 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by MikeSmile
I look forward with her because I love her and she needs me and I need to help her not ever feel so low about herself or station in life that she would get into what she got into.

Actually it is the other way around. Getting involved in an affair is what made her feel so low about herself. There is nothing to esteem about a person who does that. Low self esteem is the RESULT, not the cause. If you behave in un-esteemable ways, you will naturally have low self esteem.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MikeSmile #2514241 05/30/11 11:31 AM
M
M
OK. I will be smarter and so will she. Im not 100% sure why she dialed, I was right there, but only to tell him to take care of his wife. There will be no contact. Im reviewing her cell phone calls and emails and guarding her like never before. I was right there when she spoke to him, it was short, curt, and to the point. Maybe it triggered something, I dont know for sure, but I will be smarter not to let it happen.

I am a recovering alcoholic. If I have a drink "in front of my husband" will it make me sober? Hell no. See, it makes no difference if you are there. Triggered is triggered. And now she is triggered. You being there does not change that. WHAT MATTERS IS SHE IS STILL IN CONTACT WITH THE OM. Guess what she is thinking about today?

This has to STOP. The OM knows her phone # and email address and still calls her. The solution is to cancel the phone # and the email account.

Step ONE is never see or speak to the OM again. You can't move onto Step TWO until that happens.

My wife and I would like to read the books first and then make the decision to seek the Harleys help. It does seem likely as many of your are devoted and happily married because of doing so. So let me digest and get help from the material coming and we'll make the next step accordingly.

You can also use the program on your own without coaching from the Harleys if you are disciplined and stick to the lessons. There is a workbook that goes with the books called Five Steps to Romantic Love that they sell cheap here. If you can follow the lessons, you can recover your marriage on your own with the help of this forum and the radio show.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MikeSmile #2514253 05/30/11 11:35 AM
S
S
Im not 100% sure why she dialed,

I will tell you why: Because she is still wayward and this is what waywards do. They want closure, to tell the OP off, or fill in the blank. THey will always look for another reason to contact. Close up all the loopholes and makes sure she understands this is UNACCPETABLE NO MATTER THE REASON.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
MikeSmile #2514260 05/30/11 11:46 AM
M
M
Im going to read those books and she'll read them too. We'll do the questionaires and try to move forward becasue I love her. But my anger is not subsiding in any way. All I do now is keep it to myself while Im with her and/or the kids. All of you have hammered home the need NOT to have AO, so Im keeping it inside.

Your anger won't subside for years. You have been traumatized. It doesnt' go away over night.

I envisioned the massive upheaval of many peoples lives that me leaving will create. So, the high road would have me forgiving and healing. I dont know for if sure she is going to want the basket case she turned me in to forever. I see her frustration mounting over my huffing and puffing and again draining the Love Bank.

Mike, you have continually mentioned YOU leaving. If you decide to separate, it should be HER who leaves, since she had the affair. If you decide to abandon your marriage, you would want to file for divorce on grounds of adultery and seek possession of your home and primary custody. That is typically how it is done. You do not want to abandon your children and your home. If you did, I have no doubt she would invite the OM in and that would be a disaster for your children. Most judges frown on abandonment.

I don't agree it is the "high road" for you to stay and "forgive." It is sure not the high road if her abuse of you has created a resentment you can't overcome. Sometimes the resentment one has from being abused is too great to overcome. Your emotions may be telling you it is not a good idea to continue the relationship. After all, this goes WAY beyond the typical betrayal we see every day here. Your W brought her affair right into your home. It doesn't get much crueler than that. She rubbed her filthy affair in your nose and that of your children.

You may very well be able to overcome that, but don't think for a minute there is any shame in asking her to move and ending the marriage. You would be fully within your rights to divorce her.

That being said, I wouldn't make that decision right now. Give it some time. So far she has been what I consider a big FAIL because of her continued contact with the OM. That tells me she is not very sincere about ending her affair. She might be saying the right words, but her actions tell the true story. Talk is cheap, cheap, cheap with a wayward.

Exposure 101

SusieQ #2514262 05/30/11 11:51 AM
M
M
My reason for suggesting you call Steve Harley now, Mike is because as SusieQ mentioned, I see you letting your emotions drive the ship right now -- that is understandable in your position, so I am not saying it to put you down at all. I just believe STRONGLY that you and your wife would benefit GREATLY from some structure right now -- some immediate directives. Steve Harley is GREAT at that kind of guidance. Recovery is a VERY NARROW path and even slight deviations have proven disastrous. Your family deserves the best shot at recovery -- I know the Harleys can give you that.

Alarm bells sounded for me when I saw that you wrote the two of you were going to begin "joint marriage counseling". Please don't -- the mistakes many of them make could easily mean the downfall of your family. The last thing you need is a counselor who might be supportive of some very wayward stuff -- we see that happen VERY OFTEN around here -- in fact, we see it more often than not.

I also second what SusieQ said about Antidepressants -- those would help smooth out the emotional ups and downs you are going through right now.

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

MrsWondering #2514263 05/30/11 11:54 AM
M
M
Agree with MrsW. Marriage counseling is destructive to marriages. They don't have the slightest idea how to save marriages and have an 84% failure rate. They have a higher personal divorce rate than the general population. You are very likely to end up in a "trial separation" if you go to a MC.

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2514267 05/30/11 12:04 PM
H
H
When your WW lips are moving she is probably telling a lie. While in the fog of an Affair. Your getting superior advice here. Harley's program specializes on Adultery.
2 things you must demand
1) No contact for life
2) Plan of recovering the M to romantic love
Then just like anything in your life worth having you roll up your sleeves and get to work. Giving it Time and Care. But you have to also tell her what your boundaries are. If they are crossed you have to be able to act on the consequences.
I affirmed to my wife as needed. I will not try to reconcile my M if you have any contact with OM EVER AGAIN. I will also not live in a uncaring, unfulfilled Marriage any more. I am here and willing to work on the steps to a happy M under these conditions. Now would you like to go on a walk? smile

Divorced 11/5/2013
FXWW EA 2005/2008/2010
Hilsmon #2514320 05/30/11 02:52 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Look people, I thank you for all your input, and I really mean I think you helped me a lot. As cruel and downright vicious her A was to me by bringing him into our home, you are indicating factors that do not exist. I know you are not here and dont have the insight as I do, but what you describe is far from what is real. I dont have the time to rebut all what you said and I have understood your concern.

At this time, however, I am going wait for the SAA and other book I ordered to get here and I am going refrain from my posting. I am going to take the productive advice Ive gotten and I am going to work towards ending my need to blast my FWW when I got the urges. Im sorry to say, however true your words may be and perhaps may come back to be true in my case, they tend to upset me and I am sharing your thought with my FWW. I know you are warning me from experience.

I know you who have been through this dont believe a word she says but I see a woman who is very through with this OM. The demensions of that relationship made her look downright cheap and shallow and she is mortified she let continue. I believe this sincerely. We are going work to find out what it is inside that made her this way and I want to be a part of that process. I am restarting our recovery, 1) because the contact with OM on Sat night, however short, means I have to restart, and 2) because the absolute worst bashing I gave last night means a restart.

I am going to protect her from any need to reach out to him and I am going to protect me from any further hurt by doing the things that may have brought this on from my end. She will work as she is everyday and hour to continue helping me understand what happened and reduce its pain on me. I see a very sorry woman who has done everything someone in her shoes needs to do. She is not a perfect person and freely admits it.

So, I am going to stand down from checking this each hour and Im going to use the materials in mail. I have a lot of work to do adn so does she. I only can go by what she says to me and what i see in her eyes and that is she wants the last 7 years to go away and restart our marriage. She has begged me for forgiveness. And, I have said to her on more than one occasion if she wants OM and Im sure he'd leave his wife for my FWW, the time to do it is now. I told her life is too short to be with me if OM is what is going to make her happy.

Im not going to rehash earlier posts about OM and his ways, not worth it. My FWW has lived it and regrets all of it now. As nice and wonderful as he appeared in my home and to my kids, he used his money to court my wife and to keep her close. And she went willingly. He kept my wife from achieving anything in terms of a career because that would have meant she search for a job away from him years ago. She stayed with him willingly. He used his money and power to get her to satisfy him when needed. She did this willingly. I know is ironic to say one thing and then to say she did it willingly, but this is how I see it. There was a love that grew into a very easy way of life and it spiraled into what it became. It became normal which is where we are working to find out why.

We lost 7 years and we'll have to deal with that as adults.

So, when I have completed SAA I will come back here to share my thoughts and hopefully she and I will have things to move forward from.

42M
MikeSmile #2514322 05/30/11 03:03 PM
M
M
We are going work to find out what it is inside that made her this way and I want to be a part of that process.

What you will learn is this: We are all wired for affairs. Your wife did not take extraordinary precautions to protect her weaknesses, so she allowed another man to meet her emotional needs. Her feelings followed her actions. There is no need for any deep soul searching or looking "inside", Mike. It really is as simple as that.

Good luck to you.

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

MrsWondering #2514323 05/30/11 03:04 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by MrsWondering
We are going work to find out what it is inside that made her this way and I want to be a part of that process.

What you will learn is this: We are all wired for affairs. Your wife did not take extraordinary precautions to protect her weaknesses, so she allowed another man to meet her emotional needs. Her feelings followed her actions. There is no need for any deep soul searching or looking "inside", Mike. It really is as simple as that.

Good luck to you.

Mrs. W

Thank you. I will protect her if she cannot. She has too much to lose. Take care.

42M
MikeSmile #2514402 05/30/11 07:11 PM
M
M
Im not 100% sure why she dialed, I was right there, but only to tell him to take care of his wife.
She called him because she wanted to hear his voice.

Mike, friend, you are being snowed. She's got you chasing your own tail. Never a good thing to see. And I'm not talking about US seeing it. I'm talking about HER seeing it. She is showing ZERO respect for you. ZERO.

Nooo

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

MikeSmile #2514405 05/30/11 07:17 PM
M
M
. I only can go by what she says to me and what i see in her eyes and that is she wants the last 7 years to go away and restart our marriage. She has begged me for forgiveness.

Mike, I would not advise that you go by what she says at all. That would be a mistake. A better strategy is to go by her actions. Her words will mislead. She is in the long habit of decieving you. Because of that, I would give her an opportunity to EARN your forgivness. Handing over unearned, inappropriate forgiveness will hurt you, her, and your marriage. It is in her best interest to EARN it. I would give her that opportunity but I will tell you I am not impressed so far. She has not ended contact with her OM and I have my doubts she will.

Originally Posted by Dr Harley in Can't We just Forgive and Forget
To make matters worse, whenever a wayward spouse sees me for counseling there is rarely regret and rarely a willingness to compensate the offended spouse. They usually ask to be forgiven, but that doesn't mean he or she is deeply remorseful. It usually means that he or she doesn't want us to bring up the subject anymore, or require a change in behavior. In other words, the wayward spouse wants the pain suffered by the offended spouse to be ignored or forgotten. Like a $10,000 debt, they want it forgiven, and then they want to borrow another $10,000.

I'm in favor of forgiveness in many situations, but this isn't one of them. In the case of infidelity, compensation not only helps the offended spouse overcome the resentment he or she harbors, but the right kind of compensation helps restore the relationship and prevents the painful act from being repeated.

In most cases, an offended spouse would be unwise to forgive the wayward spouse without just compensation. It's like forgiving a friend of the $10,000 he owes you, when it's actually in the friend's best interest to pay you in full because it would teach him how to be more responsible with money.

As it turns out, in every affair there is a way to adequately compensate the offended spouse that is good for the offender and good for the marriage. At first, the offended spouse may not want to be compensated. He or she may try to get as far away from the offender as possible to avoid further pain. But if the spouse asks for forgiveness along with a willingness to compensate, the offended spouse is usually willing to entertain the proposal.
here

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2514423 05/30/11 07:42 PM
M
M
Listen to them! It is good advice. These things all follow a pattern...

Married 1/2000.
D-Day 3/7/11. WH moved in with OW and they married in 2013.
Single mom of 4.

MikeSmile #2514426 05/30/11 07:46 PM
M
M
I can usually tell a BS who has been successfully snowed by his/her wayward. They post unusually large posts explaining why we are wrong, and why their situation is 'special' or their wayward is 'different'. Waywards are all the same, Mike. Only the names change.

May I disabuse you of some of your notions?
As cruel and downright vicious her A was to me by bringing him into our home,

While it's exceptionally abusive to find out that a wayward has brought their affair partner in the marital home, the fact that is most horrific is that they had the affair in the first place.

Im sorry to say, however true your words may be and perhaps may come back to be true in my case, they tend to upset me and I am sharing your thought with my FWW.
I think, when you really think about it, you'll realize that our words aren't what is upsetting you. The actions of your wayward wife are what is upsetting you. You're taking the voices of experience to her, basically saying "Tell me this isn't YOU!" And she will comply. This is why you look at her as a victim. Mike, she's not going to come clean if she thinks it's going to be painful. She's wayward. She's going to take the coward's way out every time if she thinks she can get away with it. It's what waywards do.

I know you who have been through this dont believe a word she says but I see a woman who is very through with this OM.
redflag I hope you're right. I've read this before. And then the poster has come back later and said "You were right."

I am going to protect her from any need to reach out to him
Say WHAT??? faint She needs to demonstrate to YOU that she is willing to protect YOU and your MARRIAGE. YOU'RE protecting HER??? From what??

I see a very sorry woman who has done everything someone in her shoes needs to do.
She has yet to demonstrate any extraordinary precautions to protect your marriage. All she's done is express her sorrow over the affair being caught.

There was a love that grew into a very easy way of life and it spiraled into what it became.
It wasn't love. It was an appalling departure from what love is. It was GREED. It was SELFISHNESS. It was DISHONESTY to the nth degree. It was NOT love. It is a slap in the face to every faithful marriage to call this thing LOVE.

So, when I have completed SAA I will come back here to share my thoughts and hopefully she and I will have things to move forward from.
Good luck.

D-Day 2-10-2009

MikeSmile #2514429 05/30/11 07:54 PM
M
M
Thank you. I will protect her if she cannot. She has too much to lose. Take care.
Mike, would you consider counseling with Steve H? You mentioned earlier that you planned to attend MC with your wayward. Please understand that most MCs aren't worth the office space they occupy. Steve knows how to supply you with the tools you need to repair your marriage.

You will be very, very impressed.

D-Day 2-10-2009

maritalbliss #2514441 05/30/11 08:30 PM
T
T
7 years of lies = Way too much.

Kick her to the curb. What have you got to lose, a 2 out of 10 sex life?

You can do better. Seriously, can you do worse???

BH(Me)=40
WXW=38
ILYBNILWY: 8/09
DDAY: 8/31/09
Two boys: 8,7
Divorced 3/23/2011

Don't let your eyes refuse to see. Don't let your ears refuse to hear. Or you ain't never gonna shake this sense of sadness. --Ray Lamontagne
M
M
Originally Posted by TryingEverything

This is unacceptable advice coming from a divorced man who was unable to save his M. Trying,this poster has no interest in ending his marriage. Do you understand that? Please don't distract him from saving his M.

Last edited by maritalbliss; 05/30/11 09:32 PM.

D-Day 2-10-2009

C
C
Originally Posted by TryingEverything

I was lied to for almost 8 and I have to say this isn't necessarily true. He has everything to lose by leaving. He stands to gain so much more by staying.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
N
N
Hey, TE, see if you can follow this analogy:

Guy 1: My car is giving me lots of trouble, won't start, bad gas mileage, runs rough, no "pep". I need to have it serviced. Any ideas?

Guy 2: Are you crazy? As soon as it acts up, dump it! Crush it if you have to. I did exactly that and I know what I'm talking about.

MS, I think you have a great deal to offer your family in the realm of maturity and intelligent compassion. Keep fighting the good fight. We (or at least MOST of us) will give you the support you might require to get through the rough patches.

Page 12 of 41 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 40 41

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 769 guests, and 78 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation