Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 41 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 40 41
M
OP Offline
M
AO'd today.

She cried.

I cried. Told her I have no control over it. I dont.

Started the AD meds today. Please even me out soon.

I cant hurt her like Im doing. Im doing more damage to her and she is already damaged. Breaking my promise not to do it.

I apologized but she, again, understood.

Love bank withdrawal. Recovery starts again tomorrrow.

This sucks.

42M
MikeSmile #2515675 06/02/11 08:18 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by MikeSmile
AO'd today.

She cried.

I cried. Told her I have no control over it. I dont.

Started the AD meds today. Please even me out soon.

I cant hurt her like Im doing. Im doing more damage to her and she is already damaged. Breaking my promise not to do it.

I apologized but she, again, understood.

Love bank withdrawal. Recovery starts again tomorrrow.

This sucks.

Mike,

I used to do that too ( the AO). I remember how disgusted I was with myself afterward ... I just couldn't help it.

Then I was told a story. If you are pulled over by a cop and charged with something ridiculous that you didn't do ... would you blow up at the cop? No, you wouldn't. You CAN control it.

It's a process Mike to retrain how you react. And it takes time.

I used to count the days that I went without an AO ( like an alcoholic and his last drink). Every time I had an AO I had to start over at day one and it pissed me off. Eventually I got to the point where I could control it because I was determined not to start back at day one again. But it took a lot of effort to get there.

It's really hard being dealt the blow you were and anger is the normal reaction. Do better tomorrow and after. Apologize with no "buts".

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

MikeSmile #2515713 06/02/11 11:09 PM
N
N
Your actions will eventually convince her to end her attempts at repairing the marriage. You know that.

The type of behavior you are exhibiting - the loss of self-control, and the subsequent "I feel so bad about it but just can't control myself" disclaimer - would not be acceptable in a twelve-year-old.

Several years ago I carelessly knocked over and broke a particularly favorite vase of my wife's. She immediately launched into the "...late Aunt Sheila.....from Holland.....hand-made.....imported.....one-of-a-kind......" verbal beating about my sloppy action. Finally, I looked at her and said, "Assuming I already feel pretty shi++y about breaking it, and can't be made to feel any worse, do you have anything else to say?" She stopped.

You might want to keep that sentiment in mind.

Also read this page from this site:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5065_qa.html

NeverGuessed #2515722 06/03/11 12:40 AM
M
OP Offline
M
NG-

It was said Ben Franklin or Einstein who once said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

This wasnt a broken vase, though, this was our marriage vows, our commitment, our family, our life she broke so I get lattitude to for a bit more time to vent my grief to her. For how long, is a good question.

I take no pleasure but I dont have other way to say what I feel like I need to say. And what I need to say is ugly, demeaning, degrading, upsetting, and misrable. And completely unnecessary because its been said already and she knows precisely how hurt I am. Whats the good then? None.

Im sick.

42M
Hilsmon #2515724 06/03/11 12:49 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Hilsmonemoretime
Be glad the old wife is dead and the old Mike. Because really, he wasn't happy anyhow was he? He was content but not happy.

No, Hils, I wasnt really happy, but I told her dozen of times about my unhappiness and even thought of leaving more than once. She could have said at any point her happiness was coming from elsewhere. I begged her for affection and to be with her for years. I did and stuck around because Im not selfish enough to destroy my kids life. But, now Im being told to overlook my FWW selfishness and be a better husband. I WAS A GOOD HUSBAND.

This is actually the basis of todays AO. She could have said she's happy elesewhere but kept me around like a tool in the shed. Then it turned real ugly.

Last edited by MikeSmile; 06/03/11 12:56 AM.

42M
MikeSmile #2515730 06/03/11 01:34 AM
N
N
Ok, so for tomorrow no AOs. Ok?

We get where you're coming from--that she shouldn't "get away" with this and it isn't fair for you to be the one asking for forgiveness, or whatever, but that's how it is sometimes.

If you can get through this, you guys can get better such that neither of you are keeping score. But the dynamic will change so often in the meantime and that's just the way it goes. So, just tell yourself that you won't get mad (in front of her) on Friday. Take it hour by hour if you have too.

Next week will hopefully be a little better, and the week after that a little better as well. Before you know it, months will be past and you'll be in a better place. This is all pretty recent, it just takes time and I know how cavalier that sounds.

Me (BH)
FWW
Married 2000, DS 8, DD 6, DD 2

T
T
Mike,

I am 6 months in from last Dday, NC letter etc, so it's still pretty raw some days.

I write the ugly stuff because I know that it's hardly helpful to keep AOing and it's not the way to repair anything.
On the first Dday 5 years ago I was on that day planning to tell him I was leaving I was so miserable, on the 2nd Dday I was going, out the door enough.

Both times I stayed, and things do get better, but he is also very clear that there will not be a third.

I write lots and lots, I write all the ugly stuff, to him, to her and then I close the journal, make a cup of tea and breathe. It's helpful, who knows one day he may even see it.

Giving your wife all the nasties are not going to help you or her. Write, write and write, get it out of your system and focus on today, going forward and maybe even use the old...if you hve nothing good to say, say nothing.

I feel for you but from someone who has been there, wanted to recover and sought ways to do that, if the marriage is what you want, then you have to work at it, this way helps no one.

If you want something to live you pay attention to it. If you want something to die you don't pay attention to it.

Pay attention to the things you want honey.

Me 50
WH 52
WH in A 6 yrs in total, last 5 yrs JGF (Not!)
DD final 1.12.10
NC letter sent 3.12.10

Working at being the best I can be, the rest is up to you.

He is still a plonker, but he is my plonker!
NeverGuessed #2515803 06/03/11 08:46 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
[[/list]YOU made the choice. Dung digestion is part of the menu you've selected. Yes, it's distasteful. But if you acknowledge that you are doing it of YOUR OWN VOLITION, it might make the taste more palatable.

NG-
I need to tell that this line has made my day and I laugh everytime I think of it. I had to even show my FWW and she laughed. At a time of a lot crying, we needed this laugh despite the underlying topic being not so funny.

I know I made the better choice of staying and bellying up to the crapola buffet and keeping my kids as sane as possible.

I think my WW is with me. I really do. And, if she is going to have an even bigger repsonse to me if I stop the AO BS, and she sees Im on board with the love and foregiveness the poop may taste less poopish someday.

42M
MikeSmile #2515806 06/03/11 08:55 AM
J
J
Mike
That brought a smile to my face too, NG has an interesting way of describing his thoughts............
I think the important words here is that all us BS's are all choosing with OUR OWN VOLITION to work on our marriage, ugly and all.......
If we chose it for ourselves then we have to give it our best effort for US.......It is choice..........we could walk, sometimes I think it would be easier.........
But we continue to love the person we have always loved and that seems right for US...................
jessi

BW 56
WH 57
Married 25 years, live together for 2, dated 2 years before that.....
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
Grateful for finding Marriage Builders
MikeSmile #2515815 06/03/11 09:12 AM
N
N
[Linked Image from fardelsbear.com] Actually, I'd be bursting-my-buttons proud if your
FWW saw and validated my "bigger spoon" reference.
HUMOR is good, of course, but it was INSIGHT I was
reaching for!

NeverGuessed #2515853 06/03/11 11:03 AM
M
OP Offline
M
NG-

She saw the spoon reference and got the point 100%. She said we are both mired in this poop. No just me. I told her yesterday I was exhibiting some pretty severe depression symptons from what I would guess they'd be and she got hysterical when I was thinking of going to a hospital. I told her Id give the AD the 4-6 wks the doc said it could take.

She has been awesome despite carrying a guilt I wish on nobody. And seeing me degrade to the emotional level Im living with now is scaring the hell out of her. But Im loving her in between bouts of fury and depression and she sees that.

42M
MikeSmile #2515864 06/03/11 11:51 AM
K
K
Hey Mike, just curious but have you thought about a polygraph?

NeverGuessed #2515868 06/03/11 12:01 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
Your actions will eventually convince her to end her attempts at repairing the marriage. You know that.

This is what helps me from AO's. Knowing that I risk the potential of becoming exactly what she accused me of during the A. Self control.. retrain yourself.

Buy a punching bag. I did. When i felt it coming on I went and beat the bag until my knuckles were bloody.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
M
OP Offline
M
No, not something Im worried about right now. Shes done everything Ive asked for so far regarding the disconnect. Im watching like a hawk her every move. If I felt for a second she was out looking for him or vice versa, id pounce. Not something im overly concerned about. I dont want more details about their past. I got all i need.

Moving on together is all she has said. And, she has the choice to go any way she wants.

42M
MikeSmile #2515876 06/03/11 12:16 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by MikeSmile
I dont want more details about their past. I got all i need.
hurray

Mike, this is a mile-marker! Write it down as progress!

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
H
H
Angry Outburst = Temporary Insanity. We say and do things we wouldn't normally do. Mike needs to SMILE smile
You are trying to hard to FIX this and make sense of it. I did the same things.
Before you can expect to move forward you have to quit looking in the rear view mirror. Easier said than done.
I will say again I see the distraught in your post, get some real meds and quit trying to cover a gunshot wound with a bandaid. Hospital? Do you mean a mental facility? If so I implore you to again see your MD.

Divorced 11/5/2013
FXWW EA 2005/2008/2010
Hilsmon #2515990 06/03/11 03:21 PM
C
C
"Before you can expect to move forward you have to quit looking in the rear view mirror. Easier said than done."

thank you for this!

Me 44- yes ugggh
WH 47
together 26 years M 19
serial cheater big time
DD1 2.24.11
NC letter sent 3/7/11
NC letter to OW2 april
final truths 5/8-- all of them poly confirmed 5/18
working the plan

chickadee1 #2515997 06/03/11 03:31 PM
H
H
@chickadee1 I am glad I could help in a small way smile @Mike I hope it helps you get through just TODAY.

Divorced 11/5/2013
FXWW EA 2005/2008/2010
Hilsmon #2516185 06/04/11 09:17 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Hilsmonemoretime
Before you can expect to move forward you have to quit looking in the rear view mirror. Easier said than done.

But, sometimes, like this morning going to pickup bagels, the past starts to creep up on you like an 18 wheeler semi truck going 80 and you're doing 30. Took a walk after and cant say Im doing much better but I have to proceed with the day.

Didnt AO. She walked with me and in calm tones I told what was bothering me and of course it was stuff she feels she went over already and I said not really, because question get speicfic. I told her I reallly dont want the answers as much as I dont want to ask. I already told her and all of you I got alll I need to know, but sometimes I need more.

They were together a lot of this period of time. It male jealousy at is finest. I told her that this morning. How do I get past it? Another guy having my wife what could be a tremendous amounth of times.?

I can get passed the nice meals and things he got her, they were a means to end for him, it the end Im freaked over.

42M
MikeSmile #2516188 06/04/11 09:23 AM
M
OP Offline
M
On a good note, Im down 7.5 pounds. Saw the doc yesterday to talk about meds. Im 3 days into the AD so I have some time before the "magic" happens. We had a nice time with a lot people last night and drank heavily. First time I think my wife has seen me somewhat normal happy. So drinking is something I may need to step up? Kidding.

Today is another day.

42M
Page 17 of 41 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 40 41

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,099 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation