Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 38 of 68 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 67 68
H
H
Good deal. We have hired and fired 4 Or should I say "I" have. A qualified MC to deal with this is almost impossible to find here. And Im in a capitol city.

Divorced 11/5/2013
FXWW EA 2005/2008/2010
S
OP Offline
S
Well, I got home from biz trip this morning and she was in a very good mood. Came out to greet me. Actually came outside to meet me in the driveway. Hugs and kisses.

I noticed in the fridge there is a big bottle of my favorite new protein drink. She noticed I bought one last week for helping with my exercise workouts.

Me: 43
ExWW: 44
Married 16yrs. 4 children

EA (ExWW): May-Nov 2009 + Aug-Dec 2010
D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Exposure: FEB 7, 2011
Contact Again: Apr 25, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

"I want to be married and stay married. Now I uunderstand the kind of marriage I want and we all deserve. But I also know it takes two to want to Build that Marriage."
M
M
Originally Posted by stretch123
Her therapist kept wondering why we told so many people (ummm because he has no clue about recovering M after affiars perhaps...??? therapists have no actual formal training or roadmap like MB...?? ... anyway, I digress)

The reason you tell more people is because the more people the better. The more people who know the more people to hold her accountable. That is a good thing, not a bad thing. If she is embarrassed she only has herself to blame.

She wonders if I get some sense of satisfaction when other people knwo?

Yes. smile

When she feels shame?

Yes. smile People should feel ashamed for behaving badly. Otherwise they are sociopaths. But if she feels shame it is because of her affair. That is her fault, not yours. smile

Secondly, she won't be angry about exposure after the fog rolls off. So don't let it bother you for now. Just tell her that you are sorry she feels ashamed of her actions. You would be ashamed too. But be clear with her that shame is a consequence of her behavior, not yours.

(Don't know IF he told her uncle. Maybe he did. Probably not smart of him. That sucks. Can we move on?)

That sounds real smart to me. There is no reason to keep her affair a secret, stretch. Just because she is embarrassed does not mean exposure is a bad thing. She should feel embarrassed about being bad. Acting stupid is embarrassing! Her embarrassment is a sting that will help her avoid being stupid in the future. That can't be a bad thing.

And lastly, what is your plan for recovery? She sounds awful entitled and spoiled to me. If you continue to cater to a little witch, you will only enable her bad behavior. Don't do that. Now is the time to stand up for your marriage and set down conditions for her.

I would set her down and explain to her what it will take to keep you in this marriage. Let her know that you will give her an opportunity to EARN your forgiveness but that you are not interested in staying in a loveless marriage. See, right now she thinks she will accept her on any terms and that is simply lowering the bar. Lower the bar and you don't have a marriage, Stretch. If you want to recover from this, you need to RAISE the bar by raising your standards. She can meet your standards or you don't have a marriage anyway.

If she doesn't make some radical changes and get her act together you will end up with a crippled version of your pre-affair marriage and she will be more likely to have another affair.

Tell her this is what it will take to keep you interested and list all your conditions. Those conditions should include a complete change of lifestyle that alters the environment that led to the affair. No more opp sex friendships, complete transparency, participation in a marriage program that restores the romantic love in your marriage. She will have to meet your needs in a way that she has failed to do in the past. Bottom line: you won't stay in a loveless marriage.

Whether your marriage ends up a success or failure will depend almost entirely on your wife's willingness and ability to make radical changes. Her lifestyle must become completely transparent, holding nothing back. She is in no position to negotiate when it comes to extraordinary precautions, because those precautions are designed to prevent another affair and help you feel safe. She must also meet your emotional needs in a way that until now she has failed. You should question the wisdom of staying in your marriage until she makes an 180 degree turn in her approach to what it means to be a wife.

Now is the time to focus on recovery, Stretch!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
Mel,

What am I supposed to do? Make all those demands? I don't disagree with any of what you say. But I am working on Plan A. She doesn't want to recommit right now. I believe if I flat out gave her all the demands you suggest... she would just bolt.

I get so muddled between all the plans required for Recovery and all the care one must take during Plan A with a foggy wayward.

In Plan A, I put my EN's aside for the months that it takes.

My $LB feels low right now, indeed. They say that is normal for the BS working on a foggy WS and Plan A.

While in Plan A, how do I make demands like that? Try to Reason with logic? Suggest "working on the relationship?" Those are all on the "DON'T DO" list for Plan A'ers. Right now, one or two minutes of serious talk about the A and Recovry sees her falling into a pit of desperassion, hopelessness and crying. I am emotionally stable now, I recognize it and I can handle it better than the early days.

D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

"I want to be married and stay married. Now I uunderstand the kind of marriage I want and we all deserve. But I also know it takes two to want to Build that Marriage."
M
M
Mel,

What am I supposed to do? Make all those demands? I don't disagree with any of what you say. But I am working on Plan A. She doesn't want to recommit right now. I believe if I flat out gave her all the demands you suggest... she would just bolt.

But the time has passed for Plan A. Plan A is only a short term plan until the affair is killed. You should be in Plan Recovery. Plan A is not supposed to be a way of life for conflict avoiders to enable tyrants. You are just teaching your wife to be a tyrant. If she bolts because you won't settle for a death of a thousand cuts, what have you lost? This is not about marriage at all costs, Stretch. What happens at this phase is recovery. You don't have a marriage otherwise.

Nor do I think she will bolt. I think she would have done that a long time ago if she didn't want the marriage. If she won't commit to recovery, you are BETTER OFF without her. She will respect you for having standards, stretch.

Move forward and lead your marriage out of the ditch, Stretch. The time for Plan A is long over.

My $LB feels low right now, indeed. They say that is normal for the BS working on a foggy WS and Plan A.

Not working on the marriage is NOT normal and is not advised. Foggy is normal, but that does not mean you abandon recovery and settle for this. You don't settle for a death of a thousand cuts, you raise your standards and recover your marriage. If she doesn't get on board, then Plan B is in order.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
Mel, first of all, I emailed you and haven't heard back yet!! smile And secondly, I am going to cut and paste this for jackinthebox, a similar issue was raised on his thread....

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
M
M
You have mail!

Exposure 101

R
R
Totally agree stretch, time to up the bar. But be prepared for a couple of things that might happen:

She might throw a fit. Will through a fit. Stick to your guns. Full marriage or full divorce. No crappy middle ground (still fighting that battle too)

And when she does get some real remorse, guilt, would take it back if she could? It will really fry your noodle when YOU aren't entirely sure you want her back!

Maybe I should call Steve back again lol.

FBH,Dad
No half measures, in anything.
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks Reynolds. Appreciate it.

Yup. I will be prepared for those two things... and for whatever unexpected other things happen.

D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

R
R
I guess we'll know if you hit number two when your signature changes...lol

Keep fighting the good fight stretch

FBH,Dad
No half measures, in anything.
M
M
Thanks Reynolds. Appreciate it.

Yup. I will be prepared for those two things... and for whatever unexpected other things happen.

Stretch, what usually happens when a BS sets the standards and gives the WS an opportunity to EARN his forgiveness is she will rant and rave and make threats. See, she is used to having you under her control and will not like you taking back control of your own life. Because all you are doing here is telling her what YOU will or won't accept. You are stating your own boundaries and giving her an opportunity to respect them.......or not. But you do have control over whether or not you choose to stay in an abusive, neglectful marriage. When you state your boundaries she will begin to RESPECT you.

Women do not respect men they can run over. It is disgusting. If you want your marriage to survive, YOU are going to have to stand up and LEAD your marriage out of the ditch. Your wife is currently in charge and she is a drunk driver. You need to take the wheel back, Sir.

You might hear, "well, I don't know if I want to work on it." She is testing you to see if you really mean it and to see if you really have standards. [she doesn't believe it and still believes you want her so bad she can manipulate you] If you are willing to make yourself available to be a doormat, I would tell thats ok, that you are volunteering to be her doormat.

If you choose, rather, to stand up for your marriage and not accept a crippled, loveless marriage, I would tell her that if she chooses to reject your offer and leave the marriage, you will sure be sad, but think it is for the best. Now, when will she be leaving because her refusal will lead to divorce. Can she move out today?

You have to be willing to back up your boundaries, Stretch. And keep in mind, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by setting standards for your marriage. I predict she will be shocked at first but will come to you later and agree to your terms. That is what usually happens. And if she won't commit, you have lost nothing except a death of a thousand cuts.

Exposure 101

H
H
^

The greatest breakthrough in our early recovery is when I discovered, and stated, that not only could I walk away from this M, but I could THRIVE if I did.

This woman is an emotional terrorist, stretch. She wields her anger and/or depression against you to oppress and control you.

Get yer dang chin up, brother!

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
C
C
Amen and Amen Mel and Mb

Me 56 Former BS
Widowed 5-17-09 --married 25 years.
4 children
DS-35 previous marriage--18-22 DGrandSons 6 and 4
Me former BS
DD-29 with DGDs 5 and 1yr
DSs 26 and 23
Teilhard de Chardin..“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” ...Sounds about right to me.
S
OP Offline
S
I've started to discover the same thing. I said to my W "Feels like we turned a corner." Well, no, she hated that. ANd I don't know if that was the right phrase. Because she said she feels madder and angrier than ever. Fine, "turned a corner" isn't the right phrase.

But, what is better said is, "Something definitely feels different this past month." Something feels different to me. Doesn't mean we turned a corner. But I turned a corner.

What feels different to me? I thought perhaps because she was trying a little harder, being a little bit nicer, started to do some real work on her depression and her own issues (not mine) with a new therapist, and because she was wearing the ring. That's not what felt really different.

But really, you know what has changed don't you HHH? It's me. I started to believe just like you said, "I could walk away from this M too and I could thrive if I did." Look back on the thread. Do you gents remember when I changed my signature line?

I want her to choose recovery so we can thrive together. I know that we can. But no longer can I fell as though I am doing it alone.

In the first couple months, I recall how we couldn't even talk about baking cookies without my breakdown in tears. Right now, we can't talk about Recovery for one minute without her breakdown in tears. That's needs to end.

Last edited by stretch123; 06/04/11 12:44 PM.

D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

M
M
I want her to choose recovery so we can thrive together. I know that we can. But no longer can I fell as though I am doing it alone.

Have you chosen recovery for your marriage? Because I don't really sense that here. If you are serious about recovery, I would demonstrate that by backing your words with action and explaining to her that you won't settle for less.

What are your next steps, stretch?

Exposure 101

H
H
It's possible that she's figuring out that you have every reason to hit the bricks if she don't shore up her $#!+. That's a healthy realization, IMO. It's a switch between the expectation of this fantasy-land "unconditional love," and beginning to realize it takes works.

It's gonna take some real knock-around work on her part. That includes ending her emotional blackmail.

I tear my heart open, I sew myself shut
My weakness is that I care too much
And my scars remind me that the past is real
I tear my heart open just to feel

Drunk and I'm feeling down
And I just wanna be alone
I'm pissed cause you came around
Why don't you just go home
Cause you channel all your pain
And I can't help you fix yourself
You're making me insane
All I can say is

[Chorus:]
And our scars remind us that the past is real

I tried to help you once
Against my own advice
I saw you going down
But you never realized
That you're drowning in the water
So I offered you my hand
Compassions in my nature
Tonight is our last stand

I'm drunk and I'm feeling down
And I just wanna be alone
You shouldn't ever come around
Why don't you just go home?
Cause you're drowning in the water
And I tried to grab your hand
And I left my heart open
But you didn't understand
But you didn't understand
GO FIX YOURSELF!

I can't help you fix yourself
But at least I can say I tried
I'm sorry but I gotta move on with my own life
I can't help you fix yourself
But at least I can say I tried
I'm sorry but I gotta move on with my own life

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

S
OP Offline
S
I'm gonna go play with the sprinklers with the kids and the dogs for awhile.

Interesting video choice HHH. Did you remember anything I said in the past on my thread about my wife and alcohol?

D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

H
H
Not off the top of my head, but considering the meat-and-potatoes of her A, I suppose there is that extra relevance in song choice.

C
C
HHH sigline..

I'm a dumb dude... so I memorize things smart people have already figured out!

Isn't that funny though, that thats the opposite of dumb?
Go figure,,

S
OP Offline
S
Good MC today. Not that we both feel better. The opposite.. She feels worse than ever. Really, really low. But i realized that we havent "turhed a corner" meaning its all getting better. We have finally hit the starting block.

I think,
fog lifted
real work starts
She feels worse than ever

You guys told me this would happen. I gotta be the strong one.

D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

Page 38 of 68 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 67 68

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 495 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation