Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 39 of 68 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 67 68
N
N
But you are at the starting point, right?

Me (BH)
FWW
Married 2000, DS 8, DD 6, DD 2

A
A
Stretch - one word - J-E-A-L-O-U-S!

BS(me)- 45
WW - 41
D-day 1 - (PA) 01/2011
DS - 6
Exposure: early 02/2011
Started Plan B - 7/11
S
OP Offline
S
Andy - I am sorry man. Mine could still go either way. And so could yours. But, in my sitch we are still in a caring marriage everyday. Its nice to have each other. Just not sure if we're on a path right now that will have us suffer "a thousand cuts"

NW - you know. I am not clear. I am not certain. Are we at the starting point of recovery? I don't know how she would answer that question. Yesterday I think the MC said, "Perhaps you are at the starting point." I am not perfectly clear.

Something has changed. Something is definitely different than it was the first few months.

Maybe what we need is a more specific plan. If the fog is cleared, and we are at the starting point -- despite the fact that she feels worse today than ever before -- maybe we are stumbling around at the starting point and not sure what the straight track is.

Me: 43
ExWW: 44
Married 16yrs. 4 children

EA (ExWW): May-Nov 2009 + Aug-Dec 2010
D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Exposure: FEB 7, 2011
Contact Again: Apr 25, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

"I want to be married and stay married. Now I uunderstand the kind of marriage I want and we all deserve. But I also know it takes two to want to Build that Marriage."
E
E
Phone counseling with Dr. Harley intensively would let you know what path you're on. I honestly am quite dubious about most "counselors" as i think they help more people divorce than actually know how to get a marriage truly healed from infidelity.

Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right. ~Jane Goodall
N
N
Originally Posted by stretch123
Something has changed. Something is definitely different than it was the first few months.

So what's she saying? Maybe I missed it, but just saw where you said she was mad.

Or are you just at a point where you *thought* you wanted this but aren't so sure anymore and that bothers you?

Maybe what we need is a more specific plan. If the fog is cleared, and we are at the starting point -- despite the fact that she feels worse today than ever before -- maybe we are stumbling around at the starting point and not sure what the straight track is.

What does she feel so worse about? If you two just don't know how to get started, really started (have y'all talked it over?), then why not approach the phone counseling like peachy suggested?

Getting a plan together, or even just a plan to get a plan, can sometimes do wonders when you're not sure just where to go next.

Me (BH)
FWW

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Northwood8900

So what's she saying? Maybe I missed it, but just saw where you said she was mad.

Or are you just at a point where you *thought* you wanted this but aren't so sure anymore and that bothers you?
Its me that says "something is definitely different"
And, NW, you may be partly right. I'm not so sure I have to have this. That I need it so desperately. "Not so sure I don't want?" No. I do. I really do. But not so bad I am willing to be a doormat.

I just finally realized that I could think clearly again. That I had strength. That I would be okay if we moved on. That happened after contact in late April. As she was crying to the MC, twisting, turning, using every fogbabble line to explain why she wrote OM a stupid email. I was so vividly clear headed. And I've felt that way ever since. I've stopped all the crying, the neediness, the pathetic behavior. I can unravel the foggy language better. It doesn't hurt like it used to. I think that seeing that strength in the BH actually scares the WW. Like, "OMG, this is real. He might be strong enough to move on without me." I don't want to. But I know I'll be fine.

In early May she put the ring on, started doing more personal therapay work on her own depression, got a new therapist, looked into adjusting her meds, and starting making a lot more effort to be nice and blame me less. I felt all those things.

But she is confused, most definitely. She feels like crap. It looks like a big uphill. A lot of fogbabble walls, stories, filters are cracking and falling apart. Stories about the marriage, about our way of being, about the justification for what she did with OM.

Meanwhile, I am working hard on myself. My FC, Conversation, O&H. Thinking a lot about my relationship with the kids. (FC her #1) And my Conversation skills (CO her #2).

D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

"I want to be married and stay married. Now I uunderstand the kind of marriage I want and we all deserve. But I also know it takes two to want to Build that Marriage."
A
A
Stretch - That's a great realization on your part. I think I arrived at that same place when we started negotiating the separation agreement, especially the visitation schedule. Once I got primary custody of DS, the marital home followed quickly because of DS. I knew I would have to pay the two mortgages and the rest of it all just fell into place. I started crunching the numbers and looking at a budget. So, I knew I would be okay emotionally (eventually) because I got what I wanted - DS stays with me. I knew I could make the numbers work, that gave me confidence that I could survive financially month to month. It's going to be tight, but it's workable.

I think you're right about your WW's realization. Our MC has noticed and commented on the same thing with us. The more sure I was of my situation, the less sure she was of hers. That's probably continuing now. You're on the right path, work on yourself and have the best possible relationship with your kids. If WW decides to come along - great! If not, you'll get to live your life well.

Hang in there!

BS(me)- 45
WW - 41
D-day 1 - (PA) 01/2011
DS - 6
Started Plan B - 7/11
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by AndyM
You're on the right path, work on yourself and have the best possible relationship with your kids. If WW decides to come along - great! If not, you'll get to live your life well.

Hang in there!
That's brilliant. Thanks

D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

S
OP Offline
S
ANd, obviously, part of "working on self" includes continually working on being a better husband. Meeting her EN's and eliminating LB's.

D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

S
OP Offline
S
Two interesting updates.

First,

Older sister ranted on email to my WW this weekend. "You never call.. I assume you have a better support network.. I assume you are mad at me... seemed we were talking a lot more before Stretch found out... what's wrong..."

My wife talked this over with me. Included me. Responded to her sister: "I am changing a lot of the ways I do things. Going to my peeps and complaining wasn't working. Stretch is my first line of support. I talk to him first. And I am working with professional therapists. This is not all about you dear big sis, and stop making assumptions about what I am feeling or thinking."

I was impressed that she realizes she needs to try something new or just keep getting the same old results. We need to have a relationship where we count on each other first. She has a habit of worrying about everyone else's feelings first and never her own (or mine). Her sister just wants to get her nose in, preach, give her wacky advice and complain that she feels hurt and left out. She didn't help during the A. Neither did her best friends or little brother. So I am amazed that my wife is trying to find support elsewhere now, starting with me, and not with the people she thought were her closest peeps during the A. Her relationship is changing with a ton of people. Her parents, her friends, ME! This has changed my relationships too, with my sisters, my in-laws, her friends, with WIFE! Not everyone is crying boo-hoo my feelings are hurt. But big sis just did. I was proud wife (and mom and brother) all told her its not about you. Stop crying.

The last few nights we have had successful heavy lifting conversations about : Conversation, FC, SF.

Second update,

I am studying depression. Working hard to just share what I read or learn without DJ. I reviewed some articles and books, plus had Q&A with my PC, plus read some of HHH dissertations over on the men's thread....

I was very careful not to grab the floor and go on and on with my wife... a la "This is what I read and I think it means that YOU and YOUR depression are blah, blah, blah." Nope. Avoid DJ. I've been reading a lot. And waited for her to open a conversation which she did last night. I just told her, here are some things I learned about depression from different places. Pause... let her think and respond. And finally she asked, "Do you think any of that might relate to me?"

"I am no professional. Just did a tiny bit of reading. I think I know my wife well, I hope, so yeah... maybe these are some of the concepts from the literature that might be worth exploring for you."

Its a lot for her to take in. I am thinking and processing a million miles an hour. Have been for many months. But I believe her energy has been just dominated by hiding the A, then dealing with exposure, then justifying, then defending, then fighting the fog, maintaining the fog, then being exhausted as the fog lifts, then changing the revisionist history and the stories and filters about Stretch, about her peeps, then accepting Stretch 2.0, then examining her own problems for real finally. Its an avalanche.

"Quiet Confidence" -- Steady On Man. Trying to be strong husband and father.

D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

H
H
Awesome update, Stretch!

That mind racing may be a symptom of your own depression, as well. Though the weight of yours may not be as crushing as hers.

Probably the most interesting thing I have found on depression is the idea that it is an actual evolutionary advantage, and not a "disorder" (though, I would say this would be more fitting with transient or crisis-induced depression, and not chronic, clinical depression);

So what could be so useful about depression? Depressed people often think intensely about their problems. These thoughts are called ruminations; they are persistent and depressed people have difficulty thinking about anything else. Numerous studies have also shown that this thinking style is often highly analytical. They dwell on a complex problem, breaking it down into smaller components, which are considered one at a time.

This analytical style of thought, of course, can be very productive. Each component is not as difficult, so the problem becomes more tractable. Indeed, when you are faced with a difficult problem, such as a math problem, feeling depressed is often a useful response that may help you analyze and solve it. For instance, in some of our research, we have found evidence that people who get more depressed while they are working on complex problems in an intelligence test tend to score higher on the test.

Analysis requires a lot of uninterrupted thought, and depression coordinates many changes in the body to help people analyze their problems without getting distracted. In a region of the brain known as the ventrolateral prefrontal cortex (VLPFC), neurons must fire continuously for people to avoid being distracted. But this is very energetically demanding for VLPFC neurons, just as a car�s engine eats up fuel when going up a mountain road. Moreover, continuous firing can cause neurons to break down, just as the car�s engine is more likely to break down when stressed. Studies of depression in rats show that the 5HT1A receptor is involved in supplying neurons with the fuel they need to fire, as well as preventing them from breaking down. These important processes allow depressive rumination to continue uninterrupted with minimal neuronal damage, which may explain why the 5HT1A receptor is so evolutionarily important.

Many other symptoms of depression make sense in light of the idea that analysis must be uninterrupted. The desire for social isolation, for instance, helps the depressed person avoid situations that would require thinking about other things. Similarly, the inability to derive pleasure from sex or other activities prevents the depressed person from engaging in activities that could distract him or her from the problem. Even the loss of appetite often seen in depression could be viewed as promoting analysis because chewing and other oral activity interferes with the brain�s ability to process information.

But is there any evidence that depression is useful in analyzing complex problems? For one thing, if depressive rumination were harmful, as most clinicians and researchers assume, then bouts of depression should be slower to resolve when people are given interventions that encourage rumination, such as having them write about their strongest thoughts and feelings. However, the opposite appears to be true. Several studies have found that expressive writing promotes quicker resolution of depression, and they suggest that this is because depressed people gain insight into their problems.

There is another suggestive line of evidence. Various studies have found that people in depressed mood states are better at solving social dilemmas. Yet these would seem to have been precisely the kind of problems difficult enough to require analysis and important enough to drive the evolution of such a costly emotion. Consider a woman with young children who discovers her husband is having an affair. Is the wife�s best strategy to ignore it, or force him to choose between her and the other woman, and risk abandonment? Laboratory experiments indicate that depressed people are better at solving social dilemmas by better analysis of the costs and benefits of the different options that they might take.

Sometimes people are reluctant to disclose the reason for their depression because it is embarrassing or sensitive, they find it painful, they believe they must soldier on and ignore them, or they have difficulty putting their complex internal struggles into words.

But depression is nature�s way of telling you that you�ve got complex social problems that the mind is intent on solving. Therapies should try to encourage depressive rumination rather than try to stop it, and they should focus on trying to help people solve the problems that trigger their bouts of depression. (There are several effective therapies that focus on just this.) It is also essential, in instances where there is resistance to discussing ruminations, that the therapist try to identify and dismantle those barriers.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=depressions-evolutionary

I can tell you I've faced life-long transient depression. It would not fit the MAD model (Maladaptive, Atypical, Disturbing others). In fact, half the time I would catch it with "What the heck do I have to be mopey about?"

It usually catches me in times when I am working alone, or home alone or whatever. But, it is a time when I do a lot of analytical thinking, adaption, and application of the things I have studied and read. As you have stated "thinking and processing at a million miles per hour." Every once in a while, you get a gear that "plugs right in" to the machinations of thought, or connects one "gear" to another, and off it goes.

It may be why I can run top of the class without ever opening a book. I don't know.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, off that... if you look at the idea of depression as an adaptation for solving complex problems and social problems, you might understand this process she has been going through as well. The simple progression of her thoughts and actions is an indicator that she is progressing through solving this problem in her head - and offering her an outlet, or input which she requests or accepts enthusiastically to process on her own - eventually things should begin to even out.

Last edited by HoldHerHand; 06/15/11 11:19 AM.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
N
N
Well done, stretch! Good to hear about that email, too...sounds like it was way overdue.

Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Aaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, off that... if you look at the idea of depression as an adaptation for solving complex problems and social problems, you might understand this process she has been going through as well. The simple progression of her thoughts and actions is an indicator that she is progressing through solving this problem in her head - and offering her an outlet, or input which she requests or accepts enthusiastically to process on her own - eventually things should begin to even out.

While the depression will never "go away", I've found my wife's episodes dropped off significantly once the affair (and all related crap and fallout) ended.

I'm betting you see an improvement in that area once the rest of this "stuff" is resolved.

Keep it up! Take a vacation or something if you get a chance, before winter sets in up there smile

Me (BH)
FWW

N
N
So I am amazed that my wife is trying to find support elsewhere now, starting with me, and not with the people she thought were her closest peeps during the A. Her relationship is changing with a ton of people. Her parents, her friends, ME!

When last we talked (actually, when last I talked) it was acknowledged that you taking the lead on getting new (better?) people around the pair of you was a worthwhile endeavor.

How is that progressing?

A
A
Stretch - I'm escastic for you. This is awesome. I'm more than cautiously optimistic - she appears to be doing all the right things and you're helping to guide her along the way. Well done Dude!

BS(me)- 45
WW - 41
D-day 1 - (PA) 01/2011
DS - 6
Started Plan B - 7/11
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
So I am amazed that my wife is trying to find support elsewhere now, starting with me, and not with the people she thought were her closest peeps during the A. Her relationship is changing with a ton of people. Her parents, her friends, ME!

When last we talked (actually, when last I talked) it was acknowledged that you taking the lead on getting new (better?) people around the pair of you was a worthwhile endeavor.

How is that progressing?
You also told me to google "spouses with depression". Which I have done. I cannot keep up with HHH medical reading. But he's in medicine. He reads that stuff faster than I do. I'm just a salesman.

I think she might have manifested "learned helplessnes" and always searched for a way to make the depression stop. That way was to get rid of the hubby. Or have an affair fantasy carried out, or use too much alcohol. But helping her own depression wasn't tried. (too much DJ there? probably)

We are dating each other more. ALways eager to spend UA time and grab a date. She is spending a lot more time with friends other than the BFF's that got into this trouble with her. I think they get it. Saturday girlz nights aren't gonna happen. Dancing at clubs ain't gonna happen. And, sadly, family camping trips with them aren't gonna happen this year. They are all sad and bummed but accept the consequences. There is a pang of, "ohhh boo hoo we can't have the kind of fun like we did two summers ago." Yeah. No kidding! Grow the F**K up gals. You ruined it for yourselves.

My wife says, "I'm just not going to enjoy that scene again for a long time. Bars and bands. Dancing with my GF's."

I've wanted to take her dancing to live music, but she hesitates.

D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

H
H
Ah, dude. I'm just a LPN right now. O_o

Cliff's notes version of what I posted; depression allows us to work through problems, and makes us behave in a way that allows us to work through them.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

H
H
I cannot keep up with HHH medical reading. But he's in medicine. He reads that stuff faster than I do. I'm just a salesman.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a neighbor one time. I've had him do some work on my wife's rig a few times.

He told me "I don't know how you guys understand all that stuff, it makes no sense to me..."

I told him that all it was is a language describing the body and how it works, and that a lot of the words describe things and how they work - and sometimes they simply describe vague things.

For instance; dermatitis. All it means is inflammation of the skin. Doesn't tell you why, doesn't tell you how.

So, I asked him; what is a CV joint (I didn't know) - his answer "Constant Velocity Joint." He knew what it was, what it did.

I'm sure you have similar terminologies in sales that would be foreign to me, brother. It's language.

/babble

S
OP Offline
S
"malolactic"
"sur lies"
"mash tun"
"aguamiel"
"IBU scale"

D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

H
H
"malolactic"
"sur lies"
"mash tun"
"aguamiel"
"IBU scale"

skeptical

Speakin' Greek?

C
C
Wow stretch, yeah great update, and thank you again HHH for That amazing info like you do.

It is interesting how depression is a low point it "feels" like but sometimes is nessesary for growth. People who are in a depressed state seem to not engage as much as others, but many times it is because they literally have a lot on thier minds.

I also found it interesting about the part of the brain in the prefrontal cortex, that is activated in depression. See I have a working theory about that, backed up by science which of course I will share with you now..

As some of you know my Wife was an addict, a drug addict, and we also compare the withdrawl symptoms from adultry addictions to the withdrawl symtoms of drugs, with good reason also, and it is not by accident that DR H compares them to that either, because he operated drug abuse clinics for some time in his carreer.

The prefrontal cortex in where we solve the problems and reason out our fears and chalanges as we live our life. Where we make good decisions wrought out of dealing with the fear and pain we suffer. It is our source for change, it is nessesary for growth and it becomes active under duress.

Now the center of our brain has the area that provides the chemical dopamine, the reward drug, the feel good and safe, everythings right, my tummy is full, I am safe drug.

When we are in danger, or something is wrong, the prefrontal cortex goes into action. all forms of fear and emotional pain will trigger it, and until the brain is satisfied that all is well, the dopamine will not overpower the mind and peace will not come. Worry and depression will be there, until we are safe and things make sense. It is normal and expected that we will feel pain at times, and also that it will pass as we adjust to grow through it and do something about it. Its in our natural problem solving human nature and ability to think through problems.

So where does addiction fit in? Well first where drugs are concerned, the use of dopamine enducing substances bypass the brains need to please the feel good part of the center of the brain, sometimes refered to to as the "God conscious" part of the mind, what we all are looking for to please, in everything we do. The drug user tricks the descision making part of the mind into shutting down, as a matter of fact, SPECT scans of people with long term drug habits show that the prefrontal cortex of heavy drug addicts are almost completly without activity. That makes sense right? They get all they need from the drug and don't need to make descisions anymore fed from the real world and real life.

Now for the person running away from thier marriage into the escapism of an affair, failing to face the facts and reality and pain associated with the descisions they have to face to turn things around, they also hide from the reality that causes the pain of growth we all have to face as life becomes more real with another human being. It is yet another way to shut down the prefrontal cortex where all the frustration is, and hide. As we all know this dont workie, and you can run but you cannot hide and expect to win any fight, and the parasites come find you.

As long as people hide and live in that fantasy they feel safe and as long as they keep it secret they feel protected and yes, like an addict, they are fooling themselves, and robbing themselves from the very thing thing that gives them life and strength, the embracing of conflict and the victory feeling of satisfaction of conquering it.

Addicts of all kinds are escaping from something, they seem fine while doing the drug, or activity that distracts them, but the depression that comes from times of deep change and adjustment is a nessesary part of growth.

As married couples we are supposed to find safety, comfort, and peace with our spouses above all others. This is possible through continued practice, yeah practice, it is not easy and doesn't allways happen overnight, of the principles found in MB. Funny how they line up with everything most of us hoped our marriage would be, but we had to be 2x4ed by life again to remember to practice them. The chronic wayward will not have love in its real sense it was meant to be unless they come around to that realization,as any FW can attest to. Dr H did not write the rules of love, but he explains them very well and knows how important they are.

Its no surprise Dr H will not even start to counsel a marrige if there is any substance abuse problem because he knows the user is in love with the drug, finds all comfort in it, and is not capable of loving the spouse.

It appears it is best if we don't try to shortcut our brain to bring about love because we need all the parts working to be really in love, and depression is just part of the process of deep thinking and change, facing our fears, and squashing them with reality.

Its good to hear you are going in a good direction Stretch

Page 39 of 68 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 67 68

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 481 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation