Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
markos #2506260 05/06/11 02:18 PM
M
M
img

I sure did, didn't I?

Last edited by markos; 05/06/11 02:19 PM.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2506306 05/06/11 03:46 PM
M
M
Wow, my working from home arrangement at work was just revoked. frown

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2506307 05/06/11 03:51 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by markos

kiss

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

markos #2506329 05/06/11 05:13 PM
S
S

Why?

M
M
Originally Posted by SmilingWoman

Why?

The boss agreed without consulting his supervisors. Previously his immediate supervisor had been very supportive of the idea, but other managers who have a stake in things but aren't directly in the line of supervision were not enthusiastic about the idea.

Apparently in reference to some other people who want to do the same thing (we all want to work at home and rarely need to physically commute to this office), the boss's supervisor agreed to go with what the other guys want for now.

Of course, there's one guy who works in another state and has had some sort of special arrangement for a long time, and new people were brought on last year who get to work from home. It's completely inconsistent and unfair.

markos #2506832 05/09/11 11:26 AM
M
M
In better news, Prisca and I spent 17 hours of UA time together last week. smile

markos #2507430 05/10/11 01:26 PM
S
S
Markos, I'm sorry about the change at work; but I am so happy to read how well your marriage is doing!!!

Good job to both of you!

Happily married to HerPapaBear

M
M
Originally Posted by sexymamabear
Markos, I'm sorry about the change at work; but I am so happy to read how well your marriage is doing!!!

Good job to both of you!

Thank you so much. You and your husband have been invaluable help to us. I particularly appreciate the well-administered 2x4s.

I hightailed it into work EARLY this morning so I can leave on the dot. Turns out we won't be making it to the gym, but I'm still going to be leaving as early as possible in order to maximize time with my family.

markos #2507454 05/10/11 02:05 PM
M
M
I particularly appreciate the well-administered 2x4s.

I appreciate the other well-administered 2x4s around here, as well. I don't want to leave anyone out. smile

M
M
Originally Posted by MarriedForever
Remember yesterday when you said this and it was determined it was because you didn't want to talk about the possibility that it was your fault?

This is a huge problem, Markos...HUGE. You make a mistake and then you don't want to talk about it. How in the world are you going to fix anything if you won't talk about it and find a solution?

Thanks for this 2x4 back in March, MarriedForever. smile

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2517679#Post2517679

markos #2517690 06/08/11 12:55 PM
M
M
Yesterday I posted elsewhere on the internet on a forum Prisca and I are members of. It seems a lady was unhappy with a decision her husband made about their child and was ranting about it in capital letters. I commented that I felt her husband was wrong to have made the decision without her and then said that I felt if she was more respectful to her husband it would help to maximize the chance she has to influence such decisions so that they can be made together by both father and mother.

The folks on the board rallied the troops to protect the poster from me. Anyone should have known that she meant no disrespect to her husband. We should all quit dogpiling on her. (I'm not sure how I alone constitute a dogpile.) I had been very ugly to her. (This despite a thread title where she asked specifically to be talked into calming down.) The poster asked me to let it die, even though I wasn't saying anything, and everybody else was making a big deal about it. She also asked me to delete my post. So that it would die.

No wonder I get more mileage out of posting here.

I considered going back to that thread and simply posting "I meant no disrespect." smile

markos #2517724 06/08/11 02:08 PM
P
P
Oh, by the thread title, I thought this is where I was going to get to do THIS: twoxfour

Rats.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Prisca #2517728 06/08/11 02:16 PM
M
M
Thank you, Darling. Any time. smile

markos #2520240 06/16/11 09:41 AM
M
M
I'm sorry to say that things are not going well for us any more. Our UA time lapsed last week, Prisca has rebuffed my attempts to spend time with her again, and she has become demanding and disrespectful to me again.

She texted me this morning "When are you going to spend time with me again?" I suggested tonight, but then when I suggested something I know she enjoys (or used to), she replied back simply saying "boring."

I'm reeling from the constant DJ torrent and the lack of an ability to approach her to talk about the problems.

markos #2520256 06/16/11 10:16 AM
P
P
My H, the fabulous Mr Pep says to me:

A bad day does not mean a bad marriage.
A bad week does not mean a bad life.

Prisa may be hormonal.
She may be cranky.
She may just be in a dark place in her own mind.

Do what you have learned is healthy marital behavior, and let go of managing her response.

M
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband
My H, the fabulous Mr Pep says to me:

A bad day does not mean a bad marriage.
A bad week does not mean a bad life.

That is true.

It is hard for high strung men like me to remember, though. So I appreciate the reminder.

Do what you have learned is healthy marital behavior, and let go of managing her response.

I'm working on both of those. smile

(Hmm, what are you doing to work on them, Markos? Well, I'm still continuing to invite her to spend time with me tonight. I'm trying to ignore the barbs. I think I'm going to go reread one of Dr. Harley's articles that mentions translating disrespectful, demanding responses into something positive and try to practice that. And I'm going to refrain from getting any more whiny here than I already have.)

markos #2520262 06/16/11 10:25 AM
M
M
And stop talking to yourself, Markos!

markos #2520265 06/16/11 10:34 AM
M
M
I think I'm going to go reread one of Dr. Harley's articles that mentions translating disrespectful, demanding responses into something positive and try to practice that.

Found it:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5067b_qa.html

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
In most marriages, abuse begins when a conflict is introduced. For example, your wife might say that you did not dry the dishes properly. That's a form of abuse, because she is making a disrespectful judgment about your dish drying behavior. For you, the drying was just fine, but for her it wasn't. What you have is a simple difference of opinion on the way dishes should be dried, and your wife should have said that she would prefer your drying them the way she wants them to be dried.

But even though she made an abusive remark, you can end the cycle of abuse before it begins if you don't accelerate negativity (that means, matching her abuse with abuse of your own). What you should do is ignore the abuse on her side, and in your own mind re-translate what she said to be "I would prefer it if you would dry the dishes this way, instead of the way you are drying them."

It's tempting to quote reams of this to myself. smile

However, if you are offended by the comment she made, and most people are offended by abuse, then you will be very tempted to come back with, "fine, dry them yourself next time." That is abusive because it's a demand (you are telling her what to do). Or you might be tempted to say, "you don't dry them any better that I do." That's abusive because it's disrespectful (you are judging her dish washing behavior). Or you might be tempted to let her have it with, "What a stupid thing to say -- you sure are full of stupid comments today." That's an angry outburst because what you say is intended to punish her for the comment she made to you. As soon as you respond to your wife's abusive comment with an abusive comment of your own, you have created a cycle of abuse where you are both abusing each other.

Your wife might then respond to your abuse with more abuse. It may be a selfish demand, it may be a disrespectful judgment, or it may be an angry outburst. That will escalate negativity even more. Then you respond with more abuse, she responds again, and on and on. Every argument is abusive, and whenever you argue or fight, think to yourself, "we are being abusive to each other. I must somehow stop this cycle of abuse."

I'm still walking a narrow path. The habits of falling back into abuse are still strong.

When you argue, it will be easy to see how the other person is being abusive, but it's very difficult to see how you are being abusive

This Harley fellow is seriously insightful, you know?

However, if you actually argue with your wife, you are being just as abusive as she. You may not be able to stop your wife's abusive behavior, because only she can do that, but you can stop your abusive behavior, and that will end all of your arguments and fights. It doesn't mean you will stop talking to each other, it simply means you will not respond to her abuse with your own abuse.

Quite frankly, if only one of you avoids abuse -- you, for example -- it will make it much easier for the other to avoid it. Take the dish washing incident. When your wife makes the abusive comment, "you don't dry the dishes right," you should interpret it to mean, "I would like it if you would dry the dishes some other way." You should then say, "I don't like the way you said that, but I will try to dry them in a way you prefer next time. Show me what you want me to do." Or, you could say, "I was offended by your comment, but I will try to do a better job next time." You could even say, "I don't like to be criticized," and leave it at that. My point is that there is nothing wrong with expressing your own feelings as long as they are not accompanied by the Love Busters angry outbursts, disrespectful judgments or selfish demands.

markos #2520266 06/16/11 10:37 AM
M
M
We had a difficult discussion establishing something to do together tonight, with a couple of proposals by me. Prisca finally accepted one by saying "if that is what you want." Can somebody give me a good practical suggestion for how to view this sentence in a positive way in my mind, and a good practical suggestion for how to respond positively, if I should?

markos #2520271 06/16/11 10:47 AM
P
P
Try humor Marcos.
Seriously.
Humor is a serious thing in a marriage.

LAUGH AT YOUR BAD SELF !

Pin a Kindergarden like note to yourself as a funny reminder.
Put a red clown nose on your face whenever you've been in jerk-response-mode.

Offer Prisca the opportunity to give you a wedgie when you've been pouty or whiny.

Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 309 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation