Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
OP Offline
H
I live in CA and OW is pregnant due in 1 month, she has kind of lost it and is already asking for money. We havn't given her any. WH and I went to a lawyer and he said that it didn't make a difference in the ammount of CS that OW would get if I filed for CS and spousal support so he told us I didn't need to file for CS or spousal support. My WH and I are together and plan on working this out, but we have three children and want to make sure the OW doesn't try to take tons of money from us. Does anyone else live in CA and has gone through this and knows about CS laws. Please help, should I file for child support to lower the amount we have to pay for CS?

married 8.5 years
3 COM
me BW

F
F
Yes, I live CA. Do you work? Does your WH make more money than you? There is a CS calculator on-line that you can google. In my case legal separation would not help because I made more than my FWH. If your WH makes more than you then you definitely need to file for legal separation and for CS for your 3 COM. It is most definitely first come/first served in this state. CA is also unique that you can continue to live together while legally separated.

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
F
F
BTW, exactly how is she contacting you for money? Your WH should be completely NC until DNA proves him to be the father of the potential OC.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
H
OP Offline
H
I don't work. She has a job but I think she plans on leaving her job from the way her messsages sound she makes more than my husband right now and is not married. The lawyer said the amount of dependents are figured into the equation if you file for CS or not, is this true and would it make a difference if I file for Spousal support?

Thank you so much guys!

Last edited by Hoping29; 06/16/11 05:51 PM.
F
F
Hoping, I would go the whole gamut and file for both.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
F
F
did you see a family law attorney specifically? California is quite anti father and pro mother. Please, please get your paperwork in.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
F
F
link to child support calculator

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
W
W
I would not give in to a DNA test until she takes you to court and one is ordered. She'll have to put out some money to get a DNA test, so if she doesn't have the money she may not even pursue that hard. Though, you may also want to check to see if she can sue you for her court costs and see how you can protect yourself from that too. Make sure you talk to a GOOD attorney. Some are clueless but ACT like they know what they're doing (I had one of those in my own family law case), which could cost you down the road.

My heart breaks for you, but cling to your H and keep focusing on rebuilding your relationship despite this "for worse" period.

Me: WW
BH
DD(4)
DS(2)
DD(1)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

P
P
you should not give her a dime until dna is proven. even then not until after the baby is born

your attorney may say it doesn't matter but i can tell you 1st hand that when om finally divorced (d) his ex got squat for their 16 year old son (yos) and 7 yo special needs daughter (dd)

also they may say that "all" the children are looked on equally BUT what the judge does in the court room is sometimes far different then what is "supposed" to happen

i say file for a legal separation and get cs and ss

me-59 ww-55
married 1979 - together since 1974
6 kids together 15,19,21,23,29,30
my oldest son 37
d-day (confession day) memorial day 2001
oc born 12/20/01
now 8 grandchildren

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 104 guests, and 97 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ardent Center, Lost@1969, Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860
71,843 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation