Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19
V
V
I started reading this thread from the beginning, my head has started bobbing, not from your thread but it's late here and I'm tired.
I cheated and skipped to the last few posts. (plus I'm a pathetically slow reader, and editor of posts and ..... I could go on, lol)

I agree with The Road's analogy about the scar as it relates to R.
Many of us have grieved the loss of the old M, you know what though, do we really want that old M or do we want a new and improved version?
Set your sights on rebuilding a stronger M, one that is concrete based on honesty, care and protection. It's possible, it's just not fast.
The turtle won the race, remember that. One step at a time.

I'm sorry that your BH is struggling, I feel for him.
Does he read here at all?
Does he realize that your A is not his fault?

I know that this place has helped me sort through so many of the emotions and questions that I've had in this process.
And it is a process, an ever changing one.
I don't really know where I'd be right now in my own R, had I not found this forum.

okay, I'm really tired now ..... good night!

M'd 22 years
BW-me
D-Day 08/08 LTA

V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by Vittoria
.... my head has started bobbing, not from your thread but it's late here and I'm tired.

This made me smile. I do get pretty tiresome, don't I? The same "woe is me" and "all is so bleak and hopeless." It's a reflection of the lows of recovery and the associated emotions.

Most days I am able to maintain a fair degree of hope regarding the impossibly slim chance of recovery, but every now and then (particularly after the more raw talks w/ BH, wherein he discloses his desire for a clean break, describes life in such bleak terms, and I see all over again the impossibly difficult situation I have put us all in), I feel quite hopeless and depressed.

And then I come here, and post accordingly: [Linked Image from bestsmileys.com]

Intellectually I know - and even advocate to BH - the ups and downs of recovery, how our goal is to build a new and better M, how it will be a lifetime of work - it's just that sometimes I need someone (helloooo, MB!) to support me a bit when I am feeling more hopeless.

BH used to read here a fair amount - I'm not sure if he does anymore. Mostly time and triggers are responsible. And, to answer your other question, he does know my A was not his fault. In fact, it was so entirely not his fault that it makes it even more impossible for him to accept any kind of recovery with me. It's the loss of his dignity coupled with the complete way my A has tainted our history, relationship, future...

Boy, I'm good at this hopeless and depressing stuff, aren't I? As you said, V, recovery is possible, just not fast. I sometimes merely need support and reminders of that when my own hope has taken a beating. Thanks for offering that. smile

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
D-day: 2008
V_planifolia #2387274 06/08/10 10:33 PM
V
OP Offline
V
For my records:

Original here.

Originally Posted by lurioosi2
My heart is very heavy and angry right now. I have been flitting around the computer, and I stumbled on a thread on the Christian forum where I post. It was made by someone whose H cheated twice. There were several encouraging posts about him being honest and needing accountability, etc.

THEN this guy posts this long diatribe about how nobody ever bothers to find out WHY cheaters cheat and how usually both spouses are responsible because something that the BS did or didn't do can CAUSE the cheating spouse to HAVE to cheat. Then he went on to the whole what if you got no attention or affection and lived in constant sexual frustration, and that his own wife was unfaithful to HIM in this way and he was dying of loneliness yada yada yeah yeah.

I responded with a play by play of my choice and what was going on in our marriage and how infidelity was still not justified, and how I was the one who had cheated. That my BH real or imagined shortcomings in no way mitigated my responsibility for breaking this most sacred vow. Comparing DH's busy and distant neglect to my sharing a bed with another man....is like comparing driving 55 in a 45 zone to driving my car drunk through a daycare.

I am not sure who I am writing to. More to BS's, even though I am not one. Don't believe the lie that an affair is your fault. Don't believe that if you had done this or that different;y it never would have happened. Marriage is made up of two imperfect people, but neither of those people get to deal with that imperfection by "rutting" - as Mel says. If you're reading this as a BS, yes, you are a victim. But because you are reading it here you are an EMPOWERED victim. You have a team of people who have run and are running the race. You are in good hands. And one of these days YOU will be those good hands. You are strong. Many people cower and cry in their rooms, never telling another soul for fear of embarrassment or shame. You found these forums and bore your soul. Some of the advice seems crazy, but when you argue, they set you straight. If you wimp out, they 2X4 you. But you still come back. You are in boot camp for an army nobody wanted to join. But an army who can be That friend, that relative, that colleague, who helps someone else through their adultery.

As I was ticked off by the doofus' posts, and as I was firing back, it occurred to me. This is one of THOSE things. This is a passion. Waking people out of the fog, holding their feet to the fire. I feel like one of those ex-drug addicts that they send out to schools to tell kids not to do drugs. I wish I could talk to foggy people before they take that awful, reversible step.

The part of my reply that I didn't post there:

I totally get this:
I wish I could talk to foggy people before they take that awful, reversible step.

Or, in the event that step is taken, to at least help facilitate some recovery, somehow, whether it's personal or marital. It's like seeking out your own redemption.

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
V
OP Offline
V
For future reference:

Originally Posted by tst
GM, you are still trying to control outcomes. We desire to control outcomes in order for US to look and feel good. Our selfishness drives this desired outcome. It's a selfish habit!
GreenMile's thread.

Last edited by Mrs_Vanilla; 06/29/10 10:19 PM. Reason: added link

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
V
OP Offline
V
Juuuust keeping this gem around:

I am one lucky woman.

This was the last sentence of my first post. I just assumed whoever read it would know that the man is my DH. No secrets there.

When I confessed my A on July 25,2006, I did not expect DH to forgive me. I am not sure if I expected him to leave right away. You see, he was still in school and I was teaching full time, so I knew that in some sense he needed me. But I never ever expected to be forgiven. That he even began moving toward that was something that surprised me AND something I knew I did not deserve. And yes, I was very grateful, it was good for me as well as him.

I do have one confession. My A was 4 1/2 years ago, but a couple of days ago a few cutting remarks are made about whether or not it was my only A and whether or not my children were really his. Not by DH - he knows the truth. But my a stranger who has never met me.

And it pissed me off. Not just because I know that truth and this person was a stranger, but because I knew where it came from.

When a person has an A, they are a horrible creature. They wreak more pain and havoc than can be imagined. They are supremely ugly. I was supremely ugly. I'm not anymore. God knows that, DH knows that, and I know that.

The thing about relishing unforgiveness is, it eventually turns into bitterness. And bitterness is ugly too....and it sees ugliness everywhere else, even where there is not any.

Thanks, luri!

Original here.

Last edited by Mrs_Vanilla; 10/14/10 12:19 PM. Reason: added link

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
V
OP Offline
V
Not really posting much of an update, as things are still the same re: "recovery." H just discussed w/ me the other day how he still sees us going our separate ways as the best option for both of us, eventually.

I admit I was hoping that he might be more on the fence about that kind of decision, though ultimately I'm not surprised at all that he still feels that way.

My concerns are growing re: my Taker, though. I've noticed my Taker seems to be cataloguing perceived slights and insults lately - before, my Giver let anything potentially hurtful slide right by, and I don't even remember those instances. Now, though, they stick in my mind...and they do hurt.

And now that they are there, especially on "down" days, I find myself revisiting them - like picking at a scab, reliving the hurt, making myself feel worse.

Pep posted something I found utterly jaw-dropping on WPG's thread a while back:

Originally Posted by Pepperband
Originally Posted by wulffpack_girl
Sometimes I just get this nagging feeling that he'd rather just be "friends with benefits" without all the "stuff" associated with being married to me.

That is your extreme "taker" voice.
Your Taker is trying to protect you. OK, fine.
Sometimes you have to recognize when Miss Taker is being overly creative and presenting feelings as if they were facts.

My word, this goes on in my mind almost all of the time -- certainly more often than not. It's DJ'ing my DH to assume what he's thinking, yet my feelings are more and more turned to hurting, painful, miserable thoughts in light of his words and actions.

The other day, when he was talking about separating eventually, he cited his feeling that I need a real bond in a relationship, and that I would be happier once we separated and I could go and find that kind of relationship - that he is just not able to give me that.

I acknowledged that, yes, I want that bond, and, yes, we don't have that right now. But that's okay. I'm not expecting it anymore, and probably won't ever expect it again. Sure, it would be nice, and I think it's entirely possible - but if it doesn't happen, I'm still fine with us.

Sorry, not sure where I'm going with this. This is one of those "downs."

Last edited by Mrs_Vanilla; 06/17/11 01:37 PM. Reason: changed subject

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
I
I
So he has no desire to make you're marriage work? How much marriage counseling have you been to? What is he waiting on to separate?

WW-30
Me BH-35
OM-1 EA/PA for 2.5 yrs
OM-2 EA/PA 3 mos
Married since Nov 2002
DDay-April 4th, 2011, DD#2-four days later
DD-3
Working on recovery
I
I
How hard is it to get a post-nuptial aggreement and do they hold up in court?

WW-30
Me BH-35
OM-1 EA/PA for 2.5 yrs
OM-2 EA/PA 3 mos
Married since Nov 2002
DDay-April 4th, 2011, DD#2-four days later
DD-3
Working on recovery
V
OP Offline
V
I_P, we are already legally D'd -- something he asked for and I gave him after D-day. He has no spousal support and full custody of the kids per the D docs.

In his words, he doesn't think I could've done anything more after D-day -- it's just that the infidelity is too much to overcome. We counseled w/ Steve 5 or 6 times, and H is familiar w/ the MB program. We have a very good relationship right now, just not the bond of a truly intimate relationship.

The last we discussed, (some time ago), the plan is H will stay 'til the kids are in college. That's no guarantee, just the rough plan.

I know I brought this on myself, and that it is a very natural consequence of my actions. Just figuring out how to navigate it all.

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
N
N
The last we discussed, (some time ago), the plan is H will stay 'til the kids are in college. That's no guarantee, just the rough plan.

Well, it may not be what you want, but it's more than your actions have earned, and it MAY be enough.

Look, you're 29, so I'd guess, on the outside, your children are about 10. You'll have him more-or-less exclusively for almost a decade, before his "plan" to leave will be ready for implementation.

So......get to WORK! You start NOW being the PERFECT wife. You appreciate him for his efforts, you bury him in EN satisfiers, you learn to cook his favorite foods, enjoy his favorite movies, and laugh at his worst jokes.

YOU need a plan (ignoring his) for how to maximise the love and strength of your marriage. And here's the kicker - You have to do it all. Expect nothing from him (that way any effort he does make will be a "bluebird").

By rights, a BS has every right to bail at D-Day; yours hasn't. Instead of pining away for a long-term deal (btw: you HAD one once, remember?), you'd better start making your day-to-day performance so attractive (Think "Scheharazade" or "Dread Pirate Roberts") that HE changes his mind about his plan when the time comes, or better yet, forgets it entirely.

V
OP Offline
V
NG, thank you for pointing out, albeit obliquely, how much my post was entitled and whining.

My intent in posting was not to say "Oh, poor me, my BH isn't STAYING!" My point was to identify that my Taker is getting a little impatient, and to hear strategies in how to deal with that, get support, something. Perhaps as the WS, I am not entitled to support - I completely understand why.

You are absolutely right re: the plan you laid out, and that is what I'm adhering to thus far - and what I plan to for the time DH IS here. My problem is expectations, though I've pretty successfully disabused myself of any notion of happy coupledom-like expectations. As you noted, even those are more than I have earned. Believe me, you're preaching to the choir. (Sorry, WPG, but you don't have a corner on the self-flagellation! smile )

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
N
N
MV,
My advice is to treat any positive response from your BH as irrelevent to your efforts (with one exception.) In the main, do EVERYTHING you can to remind him a)why he fell in love with you and married you, and b)why any future without you would sub-optimize his own happiness.

The exception I noted above is that you will get better results by monitoring and adjusting your efforts to improve their effectiveness as you do detect any reaction from him.

You can do this. It will not be easy. You may falter in your commitment to the process if his position does not seem to waver from his current hard line. That's when you come back here, and we'll re-energize your thrusters, okay?

J
J
Mrs. Vanilla,

You have hung in there for a long time, your husband hasn't left I agree I think you can sway him back to you in the years to come, little by little, have you considered asking him for the things you need explain to him that if he is going to stay until the kids are gone you will need something from him.........tell him you do understand his feelings but you are a person that needs something too.....
Tell him if he still wants to go then that you will let him go then.........ask him to just enjoy each others company become friends again............
I think sooner or later he will come around......be the wife he wants to come home to.

BW 56
WH 57
Married 25 years, live together for 2, dated 2 years before that.....
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
Grateful for finding Marriage Builders
H
H
Lol @ NG.

Mrs. V is definitely in a Dread Pirate Roberts situation.

"Good work today, Mrs V. I shall surely leave you in the morning..."

(Princess Bride if you ain't seen it, V)

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
W
W
lol - love "The Princess Bride"!!!

Mrs. V, I don't really have anything helpful to add, but you've been so wonderful to me with your advice and support I just wanted to say I am thinking about you and I can certainly empathize!

I wonder sometimes if, after what we did, our BH's don't truly believe they can give us what we need - in reading back over your thread again, and thinking about some of the things my H has said, and reading some of the words of BH's here...forgive me if I start stepping into DJ territory here:

None of us instinctually "knew" what made a good M. My H and I, for example. His parents' M was horrible. My parents' M was good, but (knowing what I know now) they weren't a perfect M either. So our BH's did what they thought they needed to do to be good H's. What they thought was their best effort could not stop either you or I from having an A - even though logically they can understand that our A's were not their fault, there's this nagging little voice that tells them that their best was not good enough, and add that to the fact that we absolutely destroyed the trust they had in us, I can understand why our BH's would throw up their hands and say, "what's the point? I gave my best, and it wasn't good enough!" Maybe it is that catastrophizing thing again, or something else...but I get a feeling sometimes that my H doesn't believe he can meet my needs...maybe deep down inside he didn't believe he was "enough" before and in his eyes, my A confirmed that for him. I dunno. I'm probably perilously close to DJ'ing so I'll stop. What I hope is that if I keep trying, if I keep fighting for him, that he'll realize he is worth the world to me, and that one day, he will see himself through my eyes and know that he is amazing.

I'm just rambling tonight...but if nothing else, maybe I'll give you a little nudge to keep up the fight, just like you have nudged me along!

hug

Last edited by wulffpack_girl; 06/17/11 10:39 PM. Reason: Clarification.

FWW

"Snow and adolescence are the only problems that disappear if you ignore them long enough." ~ Earl Wilson
R
R
WPG absolutely right on the money with that post. I have felt all those things and still do on bad days. Was that marriage even real? Are we capable of recovery? Yes, we can recover but can I make myself truly available to her a hundred percent? And the kicker - why do that? Why not just walk - take what I learned here and build the rolls royce of marriages with someone new? Without the baggage? Without anything to overcome?

I have a reason, just like both your husbands. It took me an hour a night this week to finally get the little monster to bed.

Great post WPG, you really get it. Would be nice if you told me some of that came from Steve so I know my wife understands it too.

FBH,Dad
No half measures, in anything.
V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
MV,
My advice is to treat any positive response from your BH as irrelevent to your efforts (with one exception.) In the main, do EVERYTHING you can to remind him a)why he fell in love with you and married you, and b)why any future without you would sub-optimize his own happiness.

The exception I noted above is that you will get better results by monitoring and adjusting your efforts to improve their effectiveness as you do detect any reaction from him.

You can do this. It will not be easy. You may falter in your commitment to the process if his position does not seem to waver from his current hard line. That's when you come back here, and we'll re-energize your thrusters, okay?

Thank you, NG. This is my hope - (I have few of those left, but this is one of them!) - that, hopefully by "decision time," the marriage will be the more attractive option.

Oh, and: Dread Pirate Roberts, lol. It has been YEARS since I watched The Princess Bridge.

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by jessitaylor
Mrs. Vanilla,

You have hung in there for a long time, your husband hasn't left I agree I think you can sway him back to you in the years to come, little by little, have you considered asking him for the things you need explain to him that if he is going to stay until the kids are gone you will need something from him.........tell him you do understand his feelings but you are a person that needs something too.....
Tell him if he still wants to go then that you will let him go then.........ask him to just enjoy each others company become friends again............
I think sooner or later he will come around......be the wife he wants to come home to.

jessi, you are always so kind when you post. Thank you. Asking him for what I need is...hard. And necessary, I know, especially as I felt I couldn't do this pre-A and during the A. (Not for any reasons related to him, just my own twisted mental thought processes.)

I think it has come to the point where I need to express myself, but I guess it's akin to what WPG has mentioned on her thread: if you ask, and if you don't like the answer, well... It saves the pain of disappointment and dashed expectations and depression that will inevitably come if I don't like the answer by not asking at all. Which are poor reasons for not raising the issue w/ DH, and expectations are my own problem to control in the first place.

Originally Posted by jessitaylor
......be the wife he wants to come home to.

Exactly right, that's what I needed to be reminded of. And that's all the more reason to get the bad days and expectations under control. And, as NG said, come here for a boost as needed. smile

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Lol @ NG.

Mrs. V is definitely in a Dread Pirate Roberts situation.

"Good work today, Mrs V. I shall surely leave you in the morning..."

(Princess Bride if you ain't seen it, V)

Originally Posted by The Impressive Clergyman, The Princess Bridge
Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder tooday. Mawage, that bwessed awangement, that dweam wifin a dweam... And wuv, tru wuv, will fowow you foweva...

grin

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by wulffpack_girl
lol - love "The Princess Bride"!!!

Mrs. V, I don't really have anything helpful to add, but you've been so wonderful to me with your advice and support I just wanted to say I am thinking about you and I can certainly empathize!

I wonder sometimes if, after what we did, our BH's don't truly believe they can give us what we need - in reading back over your thread again, and thinking about some of the things my H has said, and reading some of the words of BH's here...forgive me if I start stepping into DJ territory here:

None of us instinctually "knew" what made a good M. My H and I, for example. His parents' M was horrible. My parents' M was good, but (knowing what I know now) they weren't a perfect M either. So our BH's did what they thought they needed to do to be good H's. What they thought was their best effort could not stop either you or I from having an A - even though logically they can understand that our A's were not their fault, there's this nagging little voice that tells them that their best was not good enough, and add that to the fact that we absolutely destroyed the trust they had in us, I can understand why our BH's would throw up their hands and say, "what's the point? I gave my best, and it wasn't good enough!" Maybe it is that catastrophizing thing again, or something else...but I get a feeling sometimes that my H doesn't believe he can meet my needs...maybe deep down inside he didn't believe he was "enough" before and in his eyes, my A confirmed that for him. I dunno. I'm probably perilously close to DJ'ing so I'll stop. What I hope is that if I keep trying, if I keep fighting for him, that he'll realize he is worth the world to me, and that one day, he will see himself through my eyes and know that he is amazing.

I'm just rambling tonight...but if nothing else, maybe I'll give you a little nudge to keep up the fight, just like you have nudged me along!

hug

Thanks for weighing in, WPG. DH expressed some of these sentiments early on, though overall I think it's not so much self-doubt (for lack of a better term) as it is risk. Just the other night, DH phrased it accordingly: if there's even a 1% chance of enduring all he did during the A, then no way. No. Way. It was that bad for him.

And I can't blame him. I created our impossible situation, as we're fond of calling it. As long as my Taker keeps that thought front and center, and as long as I keep any hopes/expectations in check, then maybe the down days won't be so bad. (I think I've told you something similar before - easier said than done, I know!)

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 827 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation