Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
N
NB28 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
hey tough and princess.

UA time scheduled in diary and going well, POJA being done over EVERYTHING and its going well because we are practicing with the little decisions first.

As far as transparancy I am always transparent, one i am a really bad liar, and two im quite direct with my communications (pleanty of people hate me for this but lots love the fact that i tell it as it is and therefore i find myself being agony aunt of choice).

His transparancy is a work in progress, i still have a really strong feeling that there are things he has not told me.

Princess hope you have a good day at work, thanks for the post, i will link my old thread here no problem however i am deeply ashamed of my journey so thats why i wanted to make a fresh start and a change of name feels like the right way to go I did add at the bottom of my recap thingey my old identity so people wont get confused.

My H was YllanoitomE he is now posting under a different name because he wants a fresh start on MB101.

Reading learning and opening up to being wrong and needing to do my share of marriage cleaning.

My journey thread link is

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/u...in=157671&Number=2267522#Post2267522

BW 36(Me)
WS 38
Married: 2000
DD1November 22 2008 - DD2 October 2014
PA Duration September 08 - November 08
Second discovery- 6 online affairs 4 sexual one emotional. October 2014.kids: DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DS 10 . Baby after divorce DS 18months

Divorced

Was misled into thinking we were in recovery for 6 years.

If you were shocked reading any of this, that this is the consequence of not following MB to the LETTER.

L
L
NB28, Hi. I want you to know that I found this thread and am reading it. Thank you for sharing your story and for helping me with mine!! Please pass any advice my way about how you are gaining your own personal strength. I have a lot of reading to do, so it will take a while to get through all of the articles, questionaires, etc... Have a great day!!

BS Me 47,WH 49
DS's x3 17, 10, 7
Multiple D-Days
No disclosure by WH. No EP's, no transparency, no guilt or remorse either.
Plan C DOES NOT WORK!
N
NB28 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
No problem little, you got the vets on your thread now so hopefully they will give you the proper advice you need.

Hope things get better for you soon

BW 36(Me)
WS 38
Second discovery- 6 online affairs 4 sexual one emotional. October 2014.kids: DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DS 10 . Baby after divorce DS 18months

Divorced

If you were shocked reading any of this, that this is the consequence of not following MB to the LETTER.

B
B
NB...

You have no idea how happy I am to see the progress you both are making....and, especially, you, on your own! You and I are keeping up with the same threads and I think you are making very insightful, supportive comments and really looking at things with a much different eye! Keep up the good work!! I really am so happy for you!

N
NB28 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
thanks Brit that means a lot to me, I was so hurt about the A that I turned into a ball of anger, the thing is that I find it easyer to get angry than to be sad, but in the end anger was making me into someone I just didnt like anymore.

So did alot of work on me and although I still get days when I am depressed there are more days when I am ok.

I love MB but found it so hard to let my giver out and just couldnt bring myself to do my part in repairing my marriage.

I realised if I dont open myself there is no way anything my WH can do to reach me.

If I get hurt again I feel safe in the knowledge that I will survive it especially with the MB army support.

BW 36(Me)
WS 38

Divorced

N
NB28 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I have a few questions about the MB principals that i would love to get some help understanding better please.

1) We are about to do the EN questionaires again, what scares me is that my ENs tend to change from time to time. how can i address this?

2) UA time wise it includes SF but im not really comfortable with scheduling SF what do I do about that?

3) UA time again would love some ideas as to what to do during that time? with 4 kids activities outside the house are difficult and not affordible at the moment. Dont have a babysitter and the grandparents wont have all 4 kids they only take 2 at a time. any ideas for what to do in UA time would be great.

4)the giver and the taker - What is the best combination because having one or the other exclusively is not good so what do you do? have a bit of both at the same time? have a bit of both alternating them?

BW 36(Me)
WS 38

Divorced

P
P
Originally Posted by NB28
4)the giver and the taker - What is the best combination because having one or the other exclusively is not good so what do you do? have a bit of both at the same time? have a bit of both alternating them?

I really appreciate the way Star*Fish explained the Giver/Taker.

This one is called:

THE GOOD TAKER

Originally Posted by Star*Fish (a long time ago)
The Giver is the part of you that follows the rule: do whatever you can to make the other person happy and avoid anything that makes the other person unhappy, even if it makes you unhappy. It's the part of you that wants to make a difference in the lives of others, and it grows out of a basic instinct that we all share, a deep reservoir of love and concern for those around us.

But the Giver is only half of the story. The other half is the Taker. It's the part of you that follows the rule: do whatever you can to make yourself happy and avoid anything that makes yourself unhappy, even if it makes others unhappy. It's the part of you that wants the most out of life, and it grows out of your basic instinct for self-preservation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The giver is all about love and concern and the taker is our selfish side...so how can the giver be bad, or the taker be good?

Everybody recognizes the "good" in the giver and how giving can enhance relationships, but here's how a "bad" giver can ruin your marriage if all your marital choices are made solely selflessly:

*your giver is not honest....he won't tell your spouse what you need because he more concerned about your spouse feels, whether your spouse gets his needs met, than protecting your interests or your feelings. If your spouse asks the giver if it's okay to do something....even something you don't want to do...the giver says okay.

*your giver is the one who creates resentment...all that dishonesty cloaked in care....leads to misunderstandings, mixed signals, missed opportunities. The giver thinks...my spouse should KNOW what I need....just like I know what he needs.

*your giver is your martyr....endless giving creates the ever suffering spouse. Givers are praised for their selflessness, but they become very unhappy until all that's left is to somehow enjoy the pain....and get what secondary gain that offers.

*givers avoid risk and change...no rocking the boat...who knows what could happen? Nope, givers like safety....even when that involves enduring discomfort.

*givers believe in unconditional love...because they don't ask for conditions. They just give.

*givers handle your tender emotions...fear, sadness, care, consideration. They also tend to be weepy and needy.

We all know how "bad" the taker can be....afterall he's the guy who makes selfish demands, angry outbursts and most of our other LBs. But how can the taker be "good"?

*your taker is the guy you need at the negotiation table....because your giver will NOT create harmony, fairness, honesty in the dealings. Without your taker, your giver will create an environment of sacrifice....leading to resentment, anger and loss of love.

*your taker is honest about what you need and gives your spouse the information to CHOOSE to show you he loves you in the way that you would like it. He doesn't require mind reading...he lays it on the table.

*your taker fights for what you need and doesn't let you sit home three weekends in a row...he makes sure you're part of the fun.

*your taker is not an enabler or codependent.

*your taker saves your marriage as often as your giver does by making sure that reciprocity exists.

*your taker is willing to take risks and make changes.

As an example, I'd like to put forward my own marriage and how my giver undermined the happiness in my marriage for years. I NEVER went into negotiations with my taker....so I never even got close to getting what I wanted. I always put my husband first. But I wasn't happy. I didn't like it.....and I BLAMED HIM for not giving me what I wanted even though I wasn't honest and he didn't know how to please me. There is no negotiation without the taker...the giver just says "fine", do what you want. I lived with resentment every time he did what he wanted. I punished him for it too. And I was not someone who he would want to spend time with in the future either because I was pretty much angry all the time.

Letting my taker out saved my marriage. Oh to be sure, I couldn't let my taker rant and rage....but once he wasn't in chains all the time, he was far less volatile. My taker is the one who found out that my husband was actually willing and pretty enthusiastice about negotiation. Instead of the old pattern...H wants to do something...I say yes...then treat him badly. The new pattern goes like this....H wants to do something, I tell him how I might feel enthusiastic about that...we come to an agreement about how we can both get what we need....and I treat him well...and we both have fun! He gets to enjoy his activities without guilt. I know that I won't be neglected because we have also made plans together.

N
NB28 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
thanks pep that clarifies that bit.

Now for some more questioning im afraid, we just did the EN questionaires and I need some help.

I really hope he never reads this because with what i am about to say i really dont mean to cause him harm just need to get it out in the open and see what your thoughts are because frankly right now im scared.

Although as you are all aware I didnt plan b phisically I did it all emotionally, as the months went by I started to see his flaws more clearly and with that I genuinley fell out of love with him.

When we were doing the EN questionaired i just kept thinking that I dont care if you meet this or that cause I cant see myself being in love with you again.

I do want to be in love with him but he has put me through so much that right now I am not. I do not find him attractive and his top EN is admiration, I dont enjoy nor do i want SF with him (although i still do it) what do I do??

Do you all genuinley think that if he met my ENs i will fall back in love??

BW 36(Me)
WS 38

Divorced

M
M
Yes this is your fake it until you make it time. You will need to really look at the good guy in him to meet his admiration need. Maybe visit the "Guys only thread" or read HNHN to find examples. When you meet his and he meets yours in time it will get better.

Up UA to 20 hours and make sure he is meeting your needs. As long as that happens he should be depositing. Make sure he knows how to meet them as well and it isn't a half hearted attempt.

Tough~

N
NB28 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
its tough, I will meet his Admiration need no problem and he has some very good kind traits i can still be true to myself and meet his ENs. Im just petrified of never getting that lovey dovey feeling again.

UA time scheduled no problem, he did get stubbon over it at times because he thinks we cant do 15 hours UA time but I think we can and scheduled them in no problem.

I am just feeling overwhealmed today, I would have killed for him to be enthustiastically working on the marriage a year ago, now he is doing it i feel very lost as to how to feel and what to say. He is my best friend in the whole world and I dont want to lose him just want to be in love with him again.

BW 36(Me)
WS 38

Divorced

M
M
Just look at the past as if you divorced and now you are looking to remarry. The past is done. You have today.

It is late in London. Go to bed and cuddle up with him. Come here everyday and read the recovery thread. Better yet move this to recovery and go for it.

Think of it like the little train that could ...

We will recover -- We will Recover -- We will Recover

Yesterday is History ... Tomorrow is a Mystery ... Today is a Gift ... That is why it is called "The Present"

You give me hope because I see so much of my WH in your husband. I can only hope POSOW dumps his butt here real soon!!!

I just IM'd him to see if he wants the kids for two weeks in August. Now that should be a reality checker for him and POSOW. Welcome home!!!!

Tough~

P
P
Do you all genuinley think that if he met my ENs i will fall back in love??

NB

For a long time, I felt the same things that you are feeling. It was really hard for me to find love for someone who was capable of... etc,etc You know the thoughts that I am thinking here.

Once I felt that he was "sincere" and not just going through the motions, the romantic love returned. But I will be honest with you ... it took me about two years to rid the "I don't love him" thoughts.

I think maybe I was trying to protect myself.

The answer is YES if you feel that he is sincere.

Now I think to myself, I stayed for the kids and ended up with a really great guy too.

Give it a chance NB.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

N
NB28 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hey its tough,

I get what you are saying and I will try to do that as far as going to sleep thats a real issue for me at the moment. cant sleep and find myself staying up till 4-5 Am every night, wake up early still but cant sleep. I am taking anti anxiety meds but they have a side effect of slowing your metabolism so as i am dieting at the moment while waiting for my gastric band operation i try and only take it if absolutely necessary.

As far as the POSOW goes I really cant see her sticking with your WH for long, I am afraid its a waiting game for you.

Poker, you gave me much hope, I really appreciate your comments and sharing your situation because it gives me hope that I will one day want to be married to him and not feel like I have to be.

I come from a very disfunctional family so want whats best for my kids and dont want a D. But as of today I feel I am here for them I hope one day I will be here for me too.

BW 36(Me)
WS 38

Divorced

H
H
I have a few questions about the MB principals that i would love to get some help understanding better please.

1) We are about to do the EN questionaires again, what scares me is that my ENs tend to change from time to time. how can i address this?

By doing exactly what you are doing, reviewing the questionnaires. Remember that you are trying to concentrate on the top 3-5, and that the sheets facilitate communication.

For instance;

Explain how your need for affection could be better satisfied in your marriage.

I would love it if my husband would hold my hand while we sat together/talk/watch TV/Drive.

Weekly review wouldn't be a bad idea. Do so until both of your EN's and LB's begin to settle and even out.

2) UA time wise it includes SF but im not really comfortable with scheduling SF what do I do about that?

Relax? Dr. Harley recommends scheduling SF. Additionally, studies outside of MB show that scheduling SF keeps marriages more fulfilling. Additionally, a minimum of once-weekly SF is also shown to help keep women's menstrual cycles even, as well as hormonal levels, which help improve overall mood.

Additionally - scheduled SF helps to alleviate the anxiety of guessing and/or initiation/rejection. Knowing that tonight is naughty night, you could build the excitement by spending the day flirting with each other heavily!

3) UA time again would love some ideas as to what to do during that time? with 4 kids activities outside the house are difficult and not affordible at the moment. Dont have a babysitter and the grandparents wont have all 4 kids they only take 2 at a time. any ideas for what to do in UA time would be great.

Divide and conquer! Do the older children have friends with whom they could have sleepovers or playdates?

Pep covered this.

Do you all genuinely think that if he met my ENs i will fall back in love??

Give it time, patience, care, consistency, and protection, and success is all but guaranteed.

Last edited by HoldHerHand; 06/23/11 01:17 PM.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
A
A
NB28,

To answer your question "if he met my ENs i will fall back in love??", I believe the answer is yes. Certainly, Dr. Harley says it is so. My H and I are a little over three years since D Day #1 and close to one and one-half years since we started recovery. For me, the love came back in small increments in time. I would feel it for a short time and then I wouldn't. Now it is more the other way around. I let go of most of the resentment (every once in a while it rears is ugly head). Life is so much better and our marriage is so much better. My H and I found if we miss our UA time (we have been charting it since Feb 2010), we both feel badly. That time together has been the most important factor to us.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
N
NB28 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hold,
thanks for clarifying and answering the questions I had about the MB principals I agree with everything you have suggested and said a part from the SF section.

SF is a very complicated and troublesome issue in my marriage right now. For one I am not feeling attracted to my H (or anyone else for that matter), I do meet his SF needs but its done because I hate the fact that I have caught him with porn on his phone a couple of months ago and the image of him selfpleasuring over those images has truly tuned my stomach. I find the notion of it vile and that has affected my sesire for SF with him. He wants sex most of the time and never lovemaking which is another problem.

Take all the above and add in occasions where he has had issues with maintaning an erection and you can start to see the complications in this department. I dont feel like he wants me i feel like he uses me for SF because im there not because he truly wants me and he has added insult to injury by making some crude remarks about it recently that left me even more wounded.

I know this is a personal and very private matter but it is a problem that i would appreciate help in resolving.

BW 36(Me)
WS 38

Divorced

N
NB28 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Armymama,

Thanks for sharing your experience, again it gives me hope that things will be great eventually.

For now I am opnening up to the notion of loving him again. I am trying to hold on to the good i see in him and have long shut off the resentment for the A.

I will do my bit to meet his EN's and will be open to him meeting mine.

I am very unsure about my ENS because they tend to be general rather than specific, Could you please help me figure out if they are specific enough if i post my top 5 on here?

BW 36(Me)
WS 38

Divorced

H
H
Hold,
thanks for clarifying and answering the questions I had about the MB principals I agree with everything you have suggested and said a part from the SF section.

SF is a very complicated and troublesome issue in my marriage right now. For one I am not feeling attracted to my H (or anyone else for that matter), I do meet his SF needs but its done because I hate the fact that I have caught him with porn on his phone a couple of months ago and the image of him selfpleasuring over those images has truly tuned my stomach. I find the notion of it vile and that has affected my sesire for SF with him. He wants sex most of the time and never lovemaking which is another problem.

Take all the above and add in occasions where he has had issues with maintaning an erection and you can start to see the complications in this department. I dont feel like he wants me i feel like he uses me for SF because im there not because he truly wants me and he has added insult to injury by making some crude remarks about it recently that left me even more wounded.

I know this is a personal and very private matter but it is a problem that i would appreciate help in resolving.

I'm going to shoot off a radio show e-mail on this.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

N
NB28 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand

Sorry Hold I have no idea what you mean or are saying here. please clarify

BW 36(Me)
WS 38

Divorced

H
H
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand

Sorry Hold I have no idea what you mean or are saying here. please clarify

Nevermind, found an easier to access solution;

If your husband were to avoid masturbation for a week, he would find his normal sex drive returning and he would be more sexually attracted to you. The longer he would avoid the pornographic videos and any other sexual material, and limit all of his sexual options to having sex with you, the more your sexual relationship would return to the way it was when you were first married.

But it won't be easy for him to give up his tapes or whatever else he uses for sexual release. Over the years, his methods of self-arousal have probably become very sophisticated and work extremely well -- much better, in fact, than his sex with you.

Like any other addiction, at first, he will crave what he has left behind. He will go through the same withdrawal that alcoholics experience. He may become depressed and frustrated, and it will be quite an adjustment for both of you. But if he can do it, if he can stop having sex in any context that does not include you, he will eventually find complete sexual fulfillment in his relationship with you.

Don't forget that the way you make love together should be with your enthusiastic agreement. If he says that you must make love to him in a way that upsets you, or is at all uncomfortable, he's back to his sexual addiction again -- where having sex is more important to him than your feelings.

Sex should be exclusively reserved for the marital relationship for quite a few reasons. For one thing, sex is one of the easiest ways to deposit love units in marriage. To waste it's pleasure apart from each other is to miss an opportunity to build romantic love.

But another important reason to make sex exclusive is that when one spouse has sex outside of marriage, the other spouse is usually offended. And as you've seen, it isn't just your husband's sex with other women that would offend you. You are offended whenever he has sex that doesn't include you.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/mb2.cfm?recno=4&sublink=32&subsublink=294

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 822 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation