Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
N
N
let him cry, he did AWESOME to delete the whole account and to smash the phone!!!! That is great news!

Did you uninstall the game yet? Make sure that is done TONIGHT!

By doing that so easily with the phone/email, I can't help but wonder if he's more missing the game than the girl in the game. It is that addicting. So get it uninstalled and block all websites such as worldofwarcraft and especially battle.net Just block them with parental controls.

It will get better but it will probably get worse first.

I am 52, stbxh is 46
One child together 15 DD
2 (mine) from 1st marriage, 26 dd and 28 ds.
Married Dec 94
Separated Oct 09
Too many D-Days to list. (EA/Cyber affairs)
He filed no fault 3-2011 I countered with grounds.
Court date set for June 6, 2011 for Final Decree and was continued.
That ticked him off, he is now fighting for custody.
Lawyers are expensive, my daughter is worth every penny.
Even the ones I have to borrow.
S
Seraph Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I think he thinks he was in love with her. He told me he's sorry he hurt me, but more sorry he didn't meet her at a 'different time'.

I don't know how I'm going to get through this. I was scheduled to be out of town M-W for business, but I'm going to cancel it - I know he can make contact if I'm here, but it will be harder, I hope.

How long does it take before the .. withdrawal .. ends? Ballpark?

S
S
OK, hard to fathom...but he's not crying over HER. He's sobbing over "IT". The feelings, thoughts, and right back to MBs...the ENs she met. Edit: "it" met in the form of a person.

Trust me here...he's NOT crying and sobbing over HER, Sera. He thinks he is?? Nope. He's sobbing cuz he's busted, and he has to face his real life now. He's sobbing because he has to face reality, and a part of that is that he knows that his crack pipe has just been removed and his reality is....

Stay cool.

Last edited by Surfer88; 07/09/11 11:42 PM. Reason: grammar
N
N
The short end is at least several months. If you have seen no progress by about 3 months, assume C is ongoing. There should be a big change by that time.

By one year out, most all the fog should be gone.

It doesn't happen overnight, so do your best not to stress about where he is now. It's normal, and has no bearing on whether your M will make it. What he thinks now - even if he thinks he's in love with her - doesn't matter.

His viewpoint hurts you now, but it's irrelevant in the long run.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
S
S
Too soon to think of Withdrwal, Sera. He is far too fogged at the moment.

You have a marathon in front of you. Good that you canx your trip, but if he's gonna contact her, your presence isn't going to make a hill of beans difference. Sorry!

Now, what is the plan to kill this affair?

I know you've had plenty of advise about exposure, so where does that stand? As long as the A is active, your next steps are for naught.

S
S
"He balked, wanted to ask her to wait for him, wow.

Deleted all the mail in his secret account, sent a fairly poor NC letter - wasn't open to input, just glad he did it at all. Did say he won't contact her, she shouldn't contact him. Came in the bedroom and cried. Told me he hated me. Smashed the phone too.

The wanted to login to Warcraft to tell her to check mail. I suggested shed do that anyway, and it defeated NC. Which he's obviously not committed to. (didn't say that part).

He stalked around like a lion with a thorn in his paw and is now outside, sitting. Probably crying and hating me.

I want to throw up. He's never been so mean. How does 2 months of an online fling with someone else's wife do this?"

This, to me says nothing of NC or exposure...

N
N
The laptop, where is the laptop? That's a BIG problem. If he will not give the password to it, HIDE IT. Friend's house, car trunk, don't matter where, HIDE IT. Better to get the password and change it.

Whew, on the ball park for withdrawel. My stbxh has played since the game started, the first time I tried to pry him away, it lasted oh, four months maybe? He found other things to do on the computer, that I finally figured out was just substituting...did some online racing etc. I had that comp locked down so tight Barney would not come thru the parental controls.

Of course, what I know NOW, tells me that was all a joke on my part. Yeah, I had his comp locked down, the laptop too. But that does not stop work computers, which I later found, was a fix for him. He could be good at home, he was getting the fix at work then.

When I realized that was going on, I just said, fine, you know what? You are an adult, screw up it's over, your choice. Grow up, man up or wimp out. He chose the wimp out. But that was four months of locked down, but not in any way NC since he got that at work.

You will have better luck if you make sure he can not easily get ON the game, and that the OWH knows, make darn sure you talk to HIM. And again, characters all out of the guild, etc.

Good luck hun.

I am 52, stbxh is 46
One child together 15 DD
Married Dec 94
Separated Oct 09
S
Seraph Offline OP
OP Offline
S
She was going to tell her H. Have not been able to find him on WArcraft to confirm. Calling his parents tomorrow, with or without him. He claims he's going to disable his account - I will ask to confirm. Once I've contacted OWH, I will disable mine as well.

He's not committed to NC, I know that. I don't know what else to do. He took his ring off tonight. I didn't. I don't know how to get through this. It kills me to hear him out on the couch, sobbing for someone else.

N
N
and yes, you will notice I'm viewing this as every bit the game as much as the OW. MMORPG's and especially this game, have a very high rate of addiction, and we all know the addiction has to go before the affair can die out. Just in case anyone thinks I'm going hog wild on the game for no reason.

You guys are better at the MB stuff than I.

I am 52, stbxh is 46
One child together 15 DD
Married Dec 94
Separated Oct 09
S
Seraph Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Neak
1. Expect C. It will happen. He is not a broken man yet, only a tiny bit cracked around the edges. We can help you come up with a plan to deal with it when it happens.

The thing I'm worried about is how will I know? I guess I need to do some reading.

S
S
Seph,

I am chiming in again as I think you need a PLAN.

I am going to seek NeverGuessed's plan as it's 100% MBs. I feel like you are flapping out there in the wind with no plan, and that's going to destroy you and the chance of recovery.

You LB$ is going to be depleted very fast if you don't take some action.

Stand by...

N
N
Originally Posted by Seraph
She was going to tell her H. Have not been able to find him on WArcraft to confirm. Calling his parents tomorrow, with or without him. He claims he's going to disable his account - I will ask to confirm. Once I've contacted OWH, I will disable mine as well.

He's not committed to NC, I know that. I don't know what else to do. He took his ring off tonight. I didn't. I don't know how to get through this. It kills me to hear him out on the couch, sobbing for someone else.

Do NOT rely on HEr to tell her H. That will NEVER happen. Isn't he the guild leader? You need to get in there and let the guild know, they need to know so those guys can watch out, and also to drop his characters out of the guild, that all needs to be done. Don't make it easy for him to go back into it.

Cancel the subs now, and get ahold of OWH via the game forum if you have to, use the Armory or whatever it is now, they change it faster than well, too fast.

As for him crying, let him. I don't have a lot of sympathy there as you might notice ;d Mine lies with you, you have the chance to do this right, and save your marriage, something I never had the strength or knowledge to do.

So listen to the vets on what to do, beginning with exposure, far and wide, not just game, but family, friends, everyone that can or will or could know about it and be of any type of support.

Just know you are in a rough spot, and it's going to be hard. Don't try to do any shortcuts, just go for the throat and get it done! (((((HUGS)))))

I am 52, stbxh is 46
One child together 15 DD
Married Dec 94
Separated Oct 09
S
Seraph Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Surfer88
Seph,

I am chiming in again as I think you need a PLAN.

I am going to seek NeverGuessed's plan as it's 100% MBs. I feel like you are flapping out there in the wind with no plan, and that's going to destroy you and the chance of recovery.

You LB$ is going to be depleted very fast if you don't take some action.

Stand by...

Thank you. I nee something. I feel lost and hopeless but I'm not giving my family up.

S
S
I just posted an SOS for you to help develop a plan and get some control over this situation. I'm not qualified as I am just an observer here, but help will be on the way.

You're gonna have to be tough, hon. Ready?

S
Seraph Offline OP
OP Offline
S

I'd rather get to the end and wish I hadn't tried so hard than wish I'd tried harder. I'm ready, as much as I can be.

N
N
yeah, when I read you confirmed then dissappeared, I did not think it was to hunt down the plan unfortunately. Nothing to do but pick up the pieces on that now. Your family IS worth the fight, and it will be a fight Seraph....I won't lie to you there. On two fronts.

You CAN do it, I have no doubts of that.

Listen to what these vets tell you, and remember you are going to have to get rid of the warcrack addiction as well.

Remember, listen to the vets. they know the MB, I just happen to have far too much exp into that blasted game.

I am 52, stbxh is 46
One child together 15 DD
Married Dec 94
Separated Oct 09
S
S
(((Seraph)))) Help is on the way. It's not going to be easy, but it'll be worth the fight, OK?

Last edited by Surfer88; 07/10/11 12:18 AM.
N
N
Originally Posted by Seraph

I'd rather get to the end and wish I hadn't tried so hard than wish I'd tried harder. I'm ready, as much as I can be.
hurray dance2 hug hurray

Thats the spirit!

I am 52, stbxh is 46
One child together 15 DD
Married Dec 94
Separated Oct 09
S
S
Yep!!!

P
P
Seraph, as I said before, your WH is behaving exactly according to the script. All his blustering, crying, lashing out is to be expected. What do you do now?

Continue with your exposure, try and meet any emotional needs that he will let you meet, and stay calm. If you feel yourself falling apart, come here and vent, don't react to him.

Here's what Dr. Harley has to say about ending the affair:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
From chapter 13 HNHN's
Quote:
Step 1: End the Affair

The first step on the path to surviving an affair is for it to end. An affair ends when the straying spouse ceases all contact with his or her lover and never sees or talks to that person again. Time and again I've watched what happens when a drastic and decisive break with a lover is not made. They try to remain "friends" and maintain casual social contact. But inevitably they find their way back to their lover's arms. It seems that when it comes to this one person, they exhibit incredibly flawed judgment and almost irresistible force draws them back.

But even if there were to be no risk of rekindling an affair, if any contact continues, the affair still remains alive in the mind of the betrayed spouse. Since an affair is the most hurtful and selfish act that one spouse can inflict on the other, any contact restores the memory and perpetuates the pain. Wives have told me that their husband's affair was worse than being raped. Men have said their wife's affair was worse than losing a child. It's the ultimate betrayal.

For some, the affair ends the right way. The unfaithful spouse sends a letter to the lover that communicates how much suffering the affair caused the betrayed spouse and how thoughtless it was, a desire to rebuild the marriage, and that all contact would be terminated forever. The betrayed spouse reads the letter and approves of it before it's sent. After the letter is sent, extraordinary precautions that I'll explain in the next step are taken to avoid future contact with the lover.

<snip>

If your unfaithful spouse is unwilling to end an affair the right way, I know of a way to help speed up its demise: Expose it. Your own family should know: Your parents, your siblings, and even your children. The family of your spouse s lover should also know, especially the lover's spouse. The pastor of your church should be informed as well. Exposure of an affair is like opening a moldy closet to the light of day. Affairs do well when they're conducted in secret, but when they're in full view for all to see, they appear as they are -- incredibly foolish and thoughtless.

Even if exposure were to be ineffective in ending an affair, I'd recommend it anyway. The betrayed spouse needs as much support as possible, and exposure helps friends and relatives understand what's going on. Keeping an affair secret is no real help to anyone. But I've been amazed at how well it dismantles the illusion that affairs rest upon. Instead of assuming that the relationship is made in heaven, an unfaithful spouse quickly senses that it's a one-way ticket to hell on earth.

The first reaction of an unfaithful spouse to exposure is to try to turn the tables on the betrayed spouse. "I will never be able to forgive you for hurting me this way. Don't you ever think about how I'd be affected by this?" Of course, it's really the affair that hurts. The exposure simply identifies the source of the pain. The unfaithful spouse should be the one begging for forgiveness.

In spite of the suffering that an affair inflicts on a betrayed spouse, during this period of exposure he or she should try to make as many Love Bank deposits and as few withdrawals as possible. If you argue about the affair, you'll damage recovery. Insist on the unfaithful spouse s complete separation from the lover (no contact for life), but don't fight about it. I call this strategy to end the affair Plan A.

If exposure itself doesn't end the affair immediately, my advice regarding what to do next is usually different for husbands and wives. I encourage husbands to try to stick to avoiding arguments and meeting their unfaithful wives' basic needs (Plan A) as long as possible (six months to a year). But I usually encourage wives to separate after about three weeks if their husband is still in contact with his lover. My experience has taught me that the health of most women deteriorates quickly and significantly while living with an unfaithful husband. Men, on the other hand, tend to be able to weather the storm longer with fewer emotional or physical effects. I call the strategy of complete separation Plan B.

In addition to avoiding health problems, a separation also helps a betrayed spouse hang on to what remains in their spouse's Love Bank account. Daily interaction with an unfaithful spouse causes such large withdrawals, that a separation with no contact between spouses can actually help the marriage by temporarily freezing the betrayed spouse's Love Bank. When the affair is over, the betrayed spouse is less likely to divorce when the unfaithful spouse wants to give the marriage a chance to recover.

Yet another advantage to separation is that some of the basic needs met by the betrayed spouse suddenly disappear. This is especially true when a couple has children. An unfaithful spouse often overlooks the betrayed spouse's contribution to the family. While the lover may meet two basic needs that were unmet by the betrayed spouse, the betrayed spouse may have been meeting the other three that cannot be easily met by the lover. During a separation, the unfaithful spouse can become acutely aware of what he or she is missing.

So, right now two things you need to be doing:

1. finish the exposure without delay
2. try to make as many Love Bank deposits and as few withdrawals as possible

It's hard to even think about meeting his needs right now because of the way he is behaving but it is necessary. Don't let him draw you into an argument. Stay with your mantra, "I am doing whatever is necessary to fight for our marriage. Would you like a cookie dear?"

As for the game, it needs to go completely. Neither one of you need to be playing, especially since it was his method for hooking up with this OW.

You can do this. This is not happening because of your exposure, it is happening because of his affair. Remember that. You can own up to your part in any problems in the marriage, but his decision to have an affair is all on him. Got it?

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 457 guests, and 52 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation