Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
M
Bugs, reread this, also:

Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Thats great, BugBunny!! You are doing good.

I haven't read your whole thread, but if there is anyone else who doesn't know about the affair, I would expose to them now and encourage them to speak to your wife about it. The more people who know the better. It should be done at the same time so you get your moneys worth out of her anger. If she is going to be angry, you need it be worthwhile and meaningful.

Doing just a little bit, a trickle exposure, is not enough to kill the affair but just enough to infuriate the WS enough to come after you. And that is the last thing a BS needs. If your WS is going to be angry, make sure it is for a VERY GOOD REASON. And exposure is a very good reason!

Good exposure targets are parents of all concerned, other family, friends, children. The OM's family and friends should be informed too. This is especially critical when there is a WW because exposing to his family will ruin her future chances in that family.

Keep up the good work!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Bugs, are you reading my posts? I think you have a confused understanding about Plan A and want to make sure you understand the most critical part of Plan A is exposing the affair [wide and far] AND in demanding she end her affair. Plan A does not mean saying nice words to someone who is being bad. It means being honest and forthright while avoiding lovebusters. The affair should be brought up over and over again by demanding she end it. This puts pressure on the affair. This should be coupled with family and friends and children contacting her about her affair. They should all be telling her how disgusted they are and trying to persuade her to end her affair. This is what it will take to kill her affair.

My concern for you now is that you have done a trickle exposure. A trickle exposure - versus a nuclear exposure - is about like taking a pea shooter to a gun fight. You just end up getting shot and achieve very little. You have a very tiny window to expose this affair properly before you lose this advantage of a tsunami exposure. Don't throw away your most powerful weapon by being timid about exposure, BB.

Here is what Steve Harley said to another betrayed husband who was being too soft with his wayward wife:

Another critique he made about how I have brought it up in the past was that I was way too casual or 'cool' about it. I explained that I was trying to show confidence and demonstrate that I would be "OK" whether or not we stayed together. I would try to stay calm and rational when talking to her and this obscured just how passionately I feel about recovering our marriage. He feels that this may have shown her that marital recovery wasn't really that important to me if I was talking about it very nonchalantly.

In other words, your wife needs to see a greater effort from you. She needs to see you fighting for your marriage. Complacence gives the impression that you don't care very much, my friend.

Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Bugsbunny, have you outright DEMANDED that she end her affair? Dr. Harley suggests that you demand she end her affair:

From the new book by Dr. Harley Effective Marriage Counseling pg 94:

"Granted, there are situations when demands may be necessary in marriage. During a spouse's affair, for example, I recommend that the betrayed spouse demand there be no contact with the lover. If there is continued contact, separation or even divorce would be the logical consequence. While normally demands don't work, in this case there are no reasonable alternatives because thoughtful requests are even less likely to separate lovers."

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
What about the OM's family? Is he married? If so, have you informed his wife? What about his mother? Does he have a facebook page?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

R
R
Bugs take the advice from Mel. All at once, no holding back.

No retreat. No apology. This stuff works, it really does!

FBH,Dad
No half measures, in anything.
B
Biker Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I did not trickle down. I exposed to everyone that I'm going to. To go around telling everyone and their cousin is not in my best interest - which you are going to have to trust me on that. I have used a lot of the tools here, and I believe that they are valid and effective, and I appreciate all the advice and support I have received.
I know some are going to think I feel like I'm special and not willing to everything as perscribed because my situation is "different". The only things that I have held back on are areas in which I believe that to do them the way it is described would make me a victim all over again.
I am encouraged at the way things have progressed to this point and feel like I have gone at least from feeling like we are 99.99% headed towards divorce, to at least being in the discussion for salvaging our marriage. There is a lot of work still left to do - this is my time to prove myself!

When I vowed for better or worse - I meant it!
Biker #2527873 07/13/11 05:26 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Bugs_Bunny
I did not trickle down. I exposed to everyone that I'm going to. To go around telling everyone and their cousin is not in my best interest - which you are going to have to trust me on that.

I never ever recommended that you expose to "everyone and their cousin" and am insulted you said that. I am much more strategic than that. And no, I don't trust your judgment on this. Not because there is anything wrong with you, but you a) have no experience at saving marriages and b) are the least objective person on this thread. Betrayed husbands have a tendency to operate on FEAR and you have already admitted that fear drives much of your decision making. BH's tend to have a strong emotional investment in conflict avoiding and I haven't seen anything here that makes me think otherwise.

You said yesterday that you exposed to ONE person and have actually hidden that exposure from your wife for some time. [WHY?] A one person exposure is meaningless. Are there others to whom the affair has been exposed? What about other family and friends? Your children? The OM's family?

Are there other hidden "exposures?" To whom have you exposed and does your wife know all about them?

There is a lot of work still left to do - this is my time to prove myself!

I agree this is true. And the way to prove yourself is to do more to break up this affair. Since you are not in a position now to meet her needs, it is real important that you focus on busting up this affair.

Exposure 101

M
M
What does Dr Harley say about a strategy of non exposure? He speaks to a man in this call who didn't expose his wife's affair and she LEFT HIM for the OM. Dr Harley tells this man "it is hard to save a marriage when you enable the affair."

Listen here

Exposure 101

Biker #2527883 07/13/11 06:07 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by Bugs_Bunny
I did not trickle down. I exposed to everyone that I'm going to. To go around telling everyone and their cousin is not in my best interest - which you are going to have to trust me on that. I have used a lot of the tools here, and I believe that they are valid and effective, and I appreciate all the advice and support I have received.
I know some are going to think I feel like I'm special and not willing to everything as perscribed because my situation is "different". The only things that I have held back on are areas in which I believe that to do them the way it is described would make me a victim all over again.
I am encouraged at the way things have progressed to this point and feel like I have gone at least from feeling like we are 99.99% headed towards divorce, to at least being in the discussion for salvaging our marriage. There is a lot of work still left to do - this is my time to prove myself!

Who have you exposed?

N
N
The point of exposure is to tell those who have an influence on your WW or the OM, to give them the opportunity to use that influence for good.

I disagree that WW is broken, no matter how depressed she sounds. She is cracked, but broken looks much different.

The longer this drags on, the more concerned I am for your own health, especially with all that you suffered in the months and years leading up to this break, added to the trauma of the adultery itself.

You've tried waiting for the OM to contact you so you can confront him, while your stomach eats away at its own lining. Time for you to take charge of each part of your destiny, including this one.

Though I don't nag about it (much wink ) I still advocate exposure to the employer as a best possible choice. You can deal with even the worst fallout from that and have a chance at your M, but as long as the A continues, or even the daily C that is INEVITABLE while they still work together, your M has no chance.

Having family members contact her with their true feelings about her present choices is also so important. That alone may not be enough to break her, but it will really help the process along.

You want her broken.

Until she has been truly shattered, God has no clear avenue of communication, and neither do you. It's like you're shouting at her through a 3-ft thick wall of jello. She can catch a word every now and again, and occasionally a whisper of the Holy Spirit, but not much else.

If you choose at this point to continue to hold back on the workplace exposure, please keep it near the front of your mind if your other efforts do not fully succeed.

You've made some really great progress, and I see encouraging things happening. This is the time to stand up and fight even harder. You can do it!

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Neak #2527946 07/13/11 10:53 PM
B
Biker Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Neak
The longer this drags on, the more concerned I am for your own health, especially with all that you suffered in the months and years leading up to this break, added to the trauma of the adultery itself.

I agree that health can be an issue. Depression can be an issue too. Since having confrontation with her and exposing her to both of our families (sorry not going to have my kids in on this), and also some of our more influential mutual friends - my whole demeanor and overall general feeling has improved dramatically. I know y'all don't think she has broken, but we have gone from angry venomous language on her part to having civil conversations. I don't know what else to say because I'm really encouraged, and most of y'all think I need to drag things down further then what they already are.

Biker #2527947 07/13/11 11:27 PM
M
M
BB, how old are your children? If they are older than 4, they are old enough to understand the concept of adultery and what she is doing to their family. Your kids ARE in this and giving them false explanations for the tension just teaches them dishonesty and confusion. Kids can deal with the truth, they cant deal with lies.

As far as exposure, can you be specific? Are these "exposures" that were also kept secret? Because unless these people are talking to your wife, the value of "exposure" has been squandered.

Her new civility is meaningless unless she has ended her affair. Has she ended her affair? Unless she has ended her affair and all contact with the OM I would suggest you don't have anything to be encouraged about.

Exposure 101

M
M
Dr. Harley on telling the children:

The same can be said about telling children about an affair. My experience with the positive outcomes of hundreds of families where an affair has been exposed to children has led me to encourage a betrayed spouse not to fear such exposure. In fact, to mislead children, giving other false explanations as to why their parents are not getting along, causes children to be very confused. When they finally discover the truth, it sets an example to children that dishonesty is sometimes acceptable, making them the judge of when that might occur.

An affair is an attack on children as well as the betrayed spouse. And it's true that children are deeply affected by this form of irresponsible behavior. But it's the act of infidelity that causes children to suffer, not the exposure of it. Facts point us toward solutions. Illusion leads us astray. That's true for children as well as adults.
here

Q: So, you do suggest telling our 10 year old son? Is this more than he can handle? He never saw any real unhappiness as my husband and I had a very low conflict marriage. I have been protecting our son from this truth. He still has hope that his dad is going to come home.
A: As for your son, the truth will come out eventually, even if you get back together again. And your son won't be emotionally crippled if he hears the truth. It's lies and deception that cripple children. He should know that your husband is choosing his lover over his son's mother. It's a fact. He's willing to ruin a family unit all for what.

When I first started recommending openness about an affair, I wasn't sure what would happen. But I did it because I knew it was the right thing to do. Now I know that for most couples it marks the beginning of recovery.

The reason that children should know about an affair is that exposing it to the light of day (letting everyone know), helps give the unfaithful spouse a dose of reality. An affair thrives on illusion, and whatever a betrayed spouse can do to eliminate the illusion is justifiable. Mold doesn't grow well in sunlight.
here

2. How honest should I be about the A? (they are 7 and under)

Tell your children as much as you can about their father's affair, and how it affects you. There are some counselors and lawyers that strongly disagree with me on this issue, but I have maintained that position for over 35 years without any evidence that children are hurt by it. They're hurt by the affair, not by accurate information regarding the affair. Just make sure that you don't combine accurate information with disrespectful judgments. For example, you can say that the OW has taken their father away from you, but you should not say that she is home-wrecker (or worse).
here

My basic approach to life is that radical honesty is valuable on many different dimensions. It keeps us out of trouble, it helps others understand us, and it helps others avoid the same mistakes we have made. Letting your children know the details of your husband's affair would help them in all three areas.

The more your children know about your husband's affair, the more careful he will be to avoid them in the future.

The more your children know about his affair, the more they will understand what you are going through in your recovery (by the way, you are doing very well -- keep up the good work!).

Being radically honest about your husband's affair with your children would also help them avoid affairs themselves. How it happened and how could it have been prevented is a great object lesson for children. I learned that I was vulnerable for an affair when I learned about my grandfather's affairs. The extraordinary precautions I've taken were directly related to what I learned about him.

It's the approach I've always taken, and while it's difficult, especially for the WS, there's much more upside to it than downside.

Exposure 101

N
N
They are very tiny people, too young to tell unless there's an actual split and WW moves out.

In the case of separation, even a 2-3yo can understand, "Daddy/Mommy left because he/she has a girlfriend/boyfriend. That's not ok when you're married. You're only supposed to love each other."

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Biker #2527953 07/14/11 01:20 AM
N
N
I don't know what else to say because I'm really encouraged, and most of y'all think I need to drag things down further then what they already are.

You have reached a temporary lull in the storm. Enjoy it as a respite, without expecting it to last forever.

Her good stretch right now cannot predict the outcome of this, any more than the bad stretch just ahead will predict it. Both are just part of the process.

She's going to be all over the map, sometimes awful, and sometimes not as bad. This will go on for as long as she is in C with OM, and for a while afterwards, too.

Take advantage of the break, without being surprised by any sudden changes in her behavior toward you.

I really recommend a phone call to the Harleys. They can help you implement a custom plan, taking all your circumstances into account. Well worth every penny! (And cheaper than a D, I always say.) I may sound like a Harley commercial, lol, but for the most part I only recommend this to folks who may need specialized advice.

Your WW's A isn't any different or special, and your reactions as a BH are also pretty standard. (That's a good thing.) Dr. H or Steve can help you find your course of action and make a plan, with your input, and keeping your full circumstances in mind.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Neak #2527955 07/14/11 01:53 AM
B
Biker Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for all the added info.....and clarification...understanding.
I have a 3 and 4 year old that just are not ready to be used in telling WS how wrong her actions have been. She already knows that.

Biker #2527979 07/14/11 08:26 AM
N
N
Children are never "used" as exposure targets. The reason you tell an older child (about 5 and up) even if their parent hasn't left, is that they WILL sense that something is terribly wrong, and they WILL blame themselves for it unless they are told the truth.

IMO, your children are small enough that they should only be told if WW leaves. Not for anything it may or may not do to WW, but to avoid compounding their trauma by their normal and predictable reaction to blame themselves for everything in their world. For little people, everything in the world revolves around them. smile

By the time it sank in that children should be told, AJ's A was over. I didn't see any reason at that time to dig it back out and parade it in front of them, but in hindsight I wish we had.

3-4 years after it ended, when they learned the truth, both of the older guys still remembered TONS of specific episodes that had never made sense to them, and suddenly they understood. "Oooooohh, so that time when Dad took us to x place and did x with us, that was why?" "Oooooooooh, so the time Dad said this to me, that was why?" A piece of their life that had (unbeknownst to me) always puzzled them, now fit perfectly.

It helped them tremendously.

Sometimes exposure to old-enough children helps the WS, and sometimes it doesn't. That just isn't the reason why it's needed - it's for the benefit of the kids.

Your babies are old enough, should WW ever leave home for a while, to blame themselves. At that time, they should be told the truth in a very simple way like I described above. (NOT "Your mommy has decided that sex with other men is ok, even though she's married. That's bad.")

You can tell them just enough to understand, without going into detail that they don't need to know.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Neak #2527981 07/14/11 08:40 AM
N
N
Your reading assignment for the next few days is to read stories of WW's on here who have become FWW's.

I can give you the name of some of the old-timers, and hopefully someone will chime in with some more recent names, too. (Many of the recent FWW's I haven't seen their story, and they post so GOOD that you can't tell they were once WW's themselves.)

Look up BobPure's threads, since even though he was the one writing, he has great insight into the time when his beautiful W was a WW. Mrs. Wondering is another great one, and also aussieswife. Mrs. W hooked up with an old boyfriend on FB, and turned into a raving monster bearing no resemblance to the wonderful Christian she is now. Aussieswife cheated while her BH was deployed. She was already a pillar on here when I began reading her posts in 2005. Once when I looked up some of her earliest posts, I was SHOCKED to find out that she sounded foggy just like all the rest of them.

If you run a search for their profiles, click on Show User's Posts, and just go to the earliest ones you can find.

I'll look up some of them if I can. I'm just trying to remember more....

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Neak #2527982 07/14/11 08:45 AM
B
Biker Offline OP
OP Offline
B
FWW?

Neak #2527984 07/14/11 08:54 AM
N
N
Bob Pure

Mrs. W's first thread

Faithful Follower! How could I forget Faithy? She is a WW and a BW, wonderful lady!

Aussieswife

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Neak #2527985 07/14/11 08:54 AM
N
N
Former Wayward Wife

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation