Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 28 29
T
OP Offline
T
In ending #1, is there anyone here who can say that it didn't affect the marriage?? Did it strengthen the WS and bring them closer or did it embolden the WS to try it again. If it grounded the marriage and WS went back to BS and worked to meet needs, why would BS need to know. So that BS could have to go through hell? I don't agree.

Every situation is different, not every time does full exposure end well....nor does every secrete destroy trust.

Me (BH): 42
Her (WS): 39
Married 19 yrs
DD: 16, DD: 11, DD: 7
D-Day: 7-5-2011, Caught searching 10-15-2012
H
H
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep
In ending #1, is there anyone here who can say that it didn't affect the marriage?? Did it strengthen the WS and bring them closer or did it embolden the WS to try it again. If it grounded the marriage and WS went back to BS and worked to meet needs, why would BS need to know. So that BS could have to go through hell? I don't agree.

Every situation is different, not every time does full exposure end well....nor does every secrete destroy trust.

Classic BH mistake. �We�re different�, �You don�t know us or our situation�, �I know better because�..�

The reality is that we�ve seen your movie many times before. BH comes here, thinks he has all the answers, gives us the same excuses, and then wonders why there�s no progress and no recovery or comes back years later to tell us all we were right.

We�re telling you that not telling OM�s wife is a HUGE mistake. Not only does she have the right to know, it also makes sure that contact is killed for sure since you get another set of eyes on the other end to keep tabs on him.

But, you know better. We�ve only been at this for years and have our own experiences to go by.

Good luck. You�re on the path to failure.

P
P

Well, you now know (by painful experience) what happens without exposure. Your WW's affair was rekindled. Your WW's affair is not yet dead, due to lack of exposure.
doh2 "Doh"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over & expecting different results.

This video will cost you 30 minutes.
Pretty inexpensive.

[video:youtube]
[/video]

Infidelity: What every couple should know.

What every MB forum poster should watch.

P
P
Originally Posted by Dr Harley ..... the owner of this site/forum >>>RESPECT !
Dr. Harley�s answer to Forum member�s questions:

Whenever a betrayed spouse tells me that they�ve just discovered their spouse�s affair, my advice is almost always the same: Let others know about it. Tell your children, family, friends, clergy, and especially the lover�s spouse, if they have one. And this is even to be done during what I call plan A (making an effort to make as many Love Bank deposits, and as few withdrawals as possible). The problem some people have with that strategy is that it conflicts with the goal of plan A because it�s likely to cause massive Love Bank withdrawals.

An unfaithful spouse almost always considers such exposure to be a worse act of betrayal than their affair itself. But the alternative, helping the unfaithful spouse to keep the affair a secret, is enabling the addiction, prolonging the agony.

In the long run, making the affair public knowledge without any forewarnings, threats, or bartering (which by themselves can create massive withdrawals) actually reduces the number of Love Bank withdrawals made by the betrayed spouse. It�s my opinion that the advantages of immediate exposure usually far outweigh the disadvantages.

M
M

No, every situation is not different. The cast of characters might be different, but the tactics for recovery are not different. Exposure is the most effective method of recovery in a marriage. Dr Harley is adamant that the OP's spouse and your children be told of the affair.

There are so many reasons, one hardly knows where to start. The strongest one would be that the OMW cannot protect herself and her children frm your wife as long as she doesn't know about the affair. As long as she doesn't know, your wife is free to contact her H and vice versa. She won't be any wiser so she won't know to stop it. With 2 people watching from both ends, the affair is much more likely to die off. Many former WS's have stated that this is what prevented them from contacting the OP again. They didn't want to risk the OP's spouse finding out and then informing their own spouse.

Your wife can't very well claim to be remorseful or repentant as long as her other victim remains in ignorance. This is part of your wife's recovery to justly compensate this woman by making sure she is aware of the affair.

The next big reason is the morality of informing someone they have been harmed behind their back. Would you inform your neighbor that his bookkeeper was embezzling money from him? Any decent would do that. No one would buy the excuse that telling them would hurt them. And it is the same here, what hurts is the crime, not finding out about it.

Not telling your children only teaches them dishonesty. Kids are harmed by adultery and lies, not by telling them the truth. Any one who advocates lying to children has clearly not thought it through. Dr Harley is a clinical psychologist with 40 years experience saving marriages and he strongly suggests telling your kids the truth. That will give them a chance to ask your wife why she did that to their family. She owes them an explanation.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Dr. Harley on telling the children:

The same can be said about telling children about an affair. My experience with the positive outcomes of hundreds of families where an affair has been exposed to children has led me to encourage a betrayed spouse not to fear such exposure. In fact, to mislead children, giving other false explanations as to why their parents are not getting along, causes children to be very confused. When they finally discover the truth, it sets an example to children that dishonesty is sometimes acceptable, making them the judge of when that might occur.

An affair is an attack on children as well as the betrayed spouse. And it's true that children are deeply affected by this form of irresponsible behavior. But it's the act of infidelity that causes children to suffer, not the exposure of it. Facts point us toward solutions. Illusion leads us astray. That's true for children as well as adults.
here

Q: So, you do suggest telling our 10 year old son? Is this more than he can handle? He never saw any real unhappiness as my husband and I had a very low conflict marriage. I have been protecting our son from this truth. He still has hope that his dad is going to come home.
A: As for your son, the truth will come out eventually, even if you get back together again. And your son won't be emotionally crippled if he hears the truth. It's lies and deception that cripple children. He should know that your husband is choosing his lover over his son's mother. It's a fact. He's willing to ruin a family unit all for what.

When I first started recommending openness about an affair, I wasn't sure what would happen. But I did it because I knew it was the right thing to do. Now I know that for most couples it marks the beginning of recovery.

The reason that children should know about an affair is that exposing it to the light of day (letting everyone know), helps give the unfaithful spouse a dose of reality. An affair thrives on illusion, and whatever a betrayed spouse can do to eliminate the illusion is justifiable. Mold doesn't grow well in sunlight.
here

2. How honest should I be about the A? (they are 7 and under)

Tell your children as much as you can about their father's affair, and how it affects you. There are some counselors and lawyers that strongly disagree with me on this issue, but I have maintained that position for over 35 years without any evidence that children are hurt by it. They're hurt by the affair, not by accurate information regarding the affair. Just make sure that you don't combine accurate information with disrespectful judgments. For example, you can say that the OW has taken their father away from you, but you should not say that she is home-wrecker (or worse).
here

My basic approach to life is that radical honesty is valuable on many different dimensions. It keeps us out of trouble, it helps others understand us, and it helps others avoid the same mistakes we have made. Letting your children know the details of your husband's affair would help them in all three areas.

The more your children know about your husband's affair, the more careful he will be to avoid them in the future.

The more your children know about his affair, the more they will understand what you are going through in your recovery (by the way, you are doing very well -- keep up the good work!).

Being radically honest about your husband's affair with your children would also help them avoid affairs themselves. How it happened and how could it have been prevented is a great object lesson for children. I learned that I was vulnerable for an affair when I learned about my grandfather's affairs. The extraordinary precautions I've taken were directly related to what I learned about him.

It's the approach I've always taken, and while it's difficult, especially for the WS, there's much more upside to it than downside.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders
Exposure is very likely to end the affair, lifting the fog that has overcome the unfaithful spouse, helping him or her become truly repentant and willing to put energy and effort into a full marital recovery.

In my experience with thousands of couples who struggle with the fallout of infidelity, exposure has been the single most important first step toward recovery. It not only helps end the affair, but it also provides support to the betrayed spouse, giving him or her stamina to hold out for ultimate marital recovery.
When Should an Affair Be Exposed?

Exposure 101

P
P
Originally Posted by DR HARLEY
Many betrayed spouses are afraid that exposure will drive the unfaithful spouse further away. While it�s true that unfaithful spouses usually feel betrayed and angry when their affair is exposed, I regard that reaction as being part of the fog that most addicts experience. When the fog has finally lifted, and the source of addiction no longer has control, the value of exposure is usually conceded by the addict himself.

Originally Posted by DR HARLEY
If exposure of an affair threatens the marriage, should the risk be taken?

I regard infidelity as a violation of the most basic condition of marriage. In most wedding vows, �forsaking all others,� is the only real promise that�s made. When you marry, the overriding condition that is mutually accepted is that you won�t have an affair. When that condition is broken, the marriage is threatened at its very core. That�s why I believe that spouses who have recovered after an affair should make new vows to each other, in effect reestablishing their marriage.

So when a betrayed spouse asks for my advice, I usually take the position that infidelity is the greatest betrayal of all. After an affair, trust -- an essential ingredient in marriage -- is dashed. If the unfaithful spouse is offended by being exposed, so be it. Exposure is very likely to end the affair, lifting the fog that has overcome the unfaithful spouse, helping him or her become truly repentant and willing to put energy and effort into a full marital recovery.

In my experience with thousands of couples who struggle with the fallout of infidelity, exposure has been the single most important first step toward recovery. It not only helps end the affair, but it also provides support to the betrayed spouse, giving him or her stamina to hold out for ultimate recovery.

You are back experiencing another adultery because you were afraid to expose adultery # 1.

C
C
She told me she loved him and that she loved me, but was not "in love" with me. She said they had never talked of running off, she didn't want to leave the family. She didn't want to leave the girls and miss out on their lives. She didn't want to miss family vacations, and all the other stuff families do. She never said she didn't want to leave me. She did say she didn't want to hurt me....but it was too late for that.

My dear wife told me flat out she didn't love me at all. October 14th, 1.30am. Months before DDay. It hurt(s). It will always hurt. There had never been a time until our Dday that i questioned my love for her. She had 2000 love bank deposits in my bank, I had about 500 in hers I guess.The reason they say these things is denial, self preservation, justification. If they had to admit to what they were truly doing, it wouldn't be escapable. Instead they say "it must be love for OM and I must not love my H that way. The truth is, it's not real love they feel. Has OM changed the diapers of the kids? Held your wife's head (or childs) while she was throwing up in the toilet because she was sick? Did OM stick it out and do the hard work when things were tight? Nope. It's all fantasy. It's easy to love someone you see once in a while. There are no hits to the relationship. No struggles, no challenges to face together. The BS always is the one that sticks this out and endures and is the better person for it.

I know my WW was only involved this time for 9 months, but it seems I have been lied to for 12 years. My mind started running memories in reverse, seeing when or where I was on the days they met. I've gone over the calendar so many times I didn't even have to look at it to tell the therapist. Now every now and then a date or memory will pop into my mind, and I try to relate it to where she was or how she hid it from me then.....

Be honest about this. And careful too. Not every memory, word or deed is false during this time. Ask her about them.. what was real and not.

The pain of hearing someone you love say they don't love you and that they love someone else is like murder to the soul. I have been numb for 6 weeks.

My wife say that on Dday i had a look on my face she never wants to see on another person's face again her whole life. She (and I) refer to it as the "day I died". Said it was like taking a shotgun and pulling the trigger point blank on my chest.

The one thing I started was making notes....I've written and read more in the past 6 weeks than I have since college. I go back and read them from time to time to see if I've gotten better. I have. Fear of finding out more or losing her are always there. Fear of her never loving me is also there. The one major question I have for her is " Why would you have sex with him, while telling me for the past 18 years that sex is gross?". It make me wonder if it is me. My male ego says.....your not what she wants, your not good, you are not big enough, strong enough, attractive enough ...all those sorts of things....I have to battle this internal struggle every day.

Pfsssht! Don't you believe it buddy! The problem was not that you weren't good enough. The problem was that she wasn't. The question she needs to answer is "does she want to be good enough to be married to you!" If she does, then she needs to totally disarm herself emotionally with you for your marriage to work. Drop the defensive attitudes and anger. Why is she angry? Because she got caught or because she did something wrong? She should be mad only at herself and OM.

One last point on the sex.....when we married....neither of us had been with someone else. It was our uniqueness. I don't know another couple under 40 who hasn't had multiple partners. Now I feel like the 40 year old virgin. She gave away our uniqueness, not only gave it away..She asked him to take it and he did. It killed a part of me at the same time.

Guess that makes me the 42year old virgin. Wear that as a badge of pride and not shame. Aside from my wife's sexual abuse, I was her only up until her affairs. In order for this to work, you will have to find your uniqueness in each other and not in something. In the person and not the thing if that makes sense.

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
P
P

F
F
You are getting great advice here. I have just one thing to say to you about exposure to OMW. It is the utmost in cruelty to another human being to not let them in on the TRUTH of the state of their marriage that you are privvy to AND to leave her at risk of STD's because you chose to do what her WH did to her...leave her in the dark.

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
H
H
Texas2:
frankly, its not about protecting anyone or being kind or not putting someone through hell...
I fought performing exposure. And I fought. Posters here pretty well gave up on me. Eventually my anger kicked in and I exposed in anger (NEVER RECOMMENDED).
I learned several things.
Some right after exposure (that is be prepared and have a support system in place to help you deal with the incredible anger you will get from your spouse)... Now 18 months later.... I have a spouse who knows I will and did do anything to protect our marriage and family (not a bad thing at all). And... I know I did the right thing.
HONESTY is ALWAYS the BEST Policy. Lies of omission are just that. Lies. If your spouse won't tell other man's wife then the simple truth is you don't have a marriage. You have an arrangement. I know. First hand.
AND YOU DON'T WANT TO LIVE THAT WAY. You will hate yourself every day because every day you will know that your WW chooses to protect her AP over protecting you by making every possible effort to prevent the A from every re-starting.
I feel for you. I do know your pain. What you are being told is to act like you are valuable. Yes exposure will cause pain. But, absent that exposure, you will rot from the inside out and you will never, ever trust your wife. And no matter how much you try... you will never know "in love" with your wife again. Nor will she for you.
I really hurt for you.
But when your wife and you will sacrifice anything for each other... then and only then will you have committed love. What you have now is simply a rope around each other's neck.

Blessings
Me BS 56
She WW 50
Hers 18, 22
Mine 22, 28, 30
Ours DS 12
D-Day 1 - April 26 2009
D-Dapy 2 - October 15 2009
Exposed February 22, 2010
Me: Reforming Verbal Abuser
She: still won't divulge OM # 2 despite overwhelming evidence, but slowly, ever so slowly, she is turning towards me. But it is more of an arrangement than a marriage.
Attending Counseling following MB Principles - maybe there is hope but other days I wonder if this is not a slow lingering death

Last edited by hurtingturkey; 08/18/11 01:11 PM.
M
M
I want peace of mind for me, my children, OMW, her children, and everyone who loves all of us. It is not going to change anything by posting this on the nightly news. It will only add to pain of others and raise the cost to me and WW. I am a merciful person.....

Like we say in Texas, money talks and bullsh** walks. A merciful person does not help hide a crime from a victim. If you are truly "merciful" and want "peace" for the OMW and her children, then tell her what has been done to her so she can protect herself and her children from your wife and her husband.

If someone was embezzling her money or molesting her child, would you be trotting out these lame excuses? She can't have peace until she knows the truth and is in a position to protect herself from your wife's assault on her family.

Put your money where your mouth is, friend!

Exposure 101

M
M
Tex,

I tried to tell you.

I tried to convince me too back in the beginning that my deal was different. Sure, the facts are always different, but the techniques to recapture the marriage is always the same.

Until you let all know who need to know, you are pushing a boulder up a hill. You'll run out of steam and get crushed underneath.

(NG-Not as eloquent as your metaphors, but not bad, right?)

Seriously, this has been an emotional day, let alone few weeks for you.

Take a breath and listen to what these people say.

Youre getting some real good people angry and you wont like them when theyre angry. These are survivors gracious enough to help lost souls like ours. Even those whose marriages DID NOT survive the adultery are ready to advise. Do you think they'll steer you wrong?

No.

Life keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the fuuuu-ture.
M
M
Originally Posted by faithful follower
You are getting great advice here. I have just one thing to say to you about exposure to OMW. It is the utmost in cruelty to another human being to not let them in on the TRUTH of the state of their marriage that you are privvy to AND to leave her at risk of STD's because you chose to do what her WH did to her...leave her in the dark.

Agree. By helping your wife and the OM hide their crime from the OMW, you become an accessory to the crime. You become just as cruel, manipulative and DANGEROUS to this woman and her children. If you don't tell her, she will not think kindly of that act of cruelty on your part.

You will be just as guilty as the adulterers. Don't drive the getaway car, Sir.

Exposure 101

C
C
Thanks Mike.
I have to believe there is a small part of her that is glad it is over. I don't know-how long she could have kept the secrete. She told one girl friend, I'm sure it was eating away at her. She is a very spiritual person, Sunday school teacher, led bible studies, went on women's retreats, in church every Sunday.....until the affair started. Then there was a noticeable withdraw from church and God. I am driving us that direction. But the pain and questions still linger. I told her once, it would have been easier to have been told she was dead, then this. I don't know if that's true, but it feels like it.

Just trying to stay strong. The 3 daughters know nothing, we've only told them mom is more depressed lately. Everyone is doing their best to make her feel better. I hope it works.

Tex,

Let me share some tidbits (since it seems you are a professing Christian) from a sermon series I did some time back on Ephesians Sorry for its length:

Theme: The Husband who Loves his wife as Christ Loves the Church not only glorifies God, but honors her as well.

Eph 5:25-33 Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, (26) that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, (27) so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. (28) In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. (29) For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, (30) because we are members of his body. (31) "Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." (32) This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. (33) However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

Introduction:
In 1989, Freddy Curci, and his band Sheriff had a number one hit (4 years after the band broke up):
Listen to the words of this song:
I never needed love like I need you
And I never lived for nobody, but I live for you
Oooh, babe, lost in love is what I feel when I'm with you

Maybe it's the way you touch me with the warmth of a sun
Maybe it's the way you smile, I come all undone
Oooh, babe, lost in love is that I feel when I'm with you

Baby, oh I get chills when I'm with you
Baby, my world stands still when I'm with you
When I'm with you

I never cared for nobody like I care for you
And I never wanted to share the things I want to share with you
Oooh, babe, lost in love is what I feel when I'm with you

This song was a number one hit, written by the keyboard player to the girl that would become his wife 2 years later. It�s a nice, powerful, romantic song� But it�s lacking something� It�s lacking the biblical focus of what a successful godly marriage needs.

� This song is founded on feeling, on how he feels
� What this girl does for him.
� Ephesians 5 contrasts this with what genuine biblical love looks like between a husband and a wife
� Paul gives us 3 things about marriage in regards to how the husband is supposed to view marriage, love and Christ.

1. The Love of Christ: (25) Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, (26) that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word,

a. What is love? To be well pleased or contented with, Agapao, not phileo or eros
� The verb� what�s it do? Describes action.
� Love is the grounds for the husband�s headship.
� As Christ loved the church (the bride), so the husband loves the church. Paul�s phrase here lifts the responsibility of the man to love his wife to the highest plane�
� Look at I. Corinthians 13�

1Co 13:4-7 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant (5) or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; (6) it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. (7) Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

� Christ has shown us an active love. More than just feeling, biblical love is action,
� It sets the bar for the marriage�
� Love is giving one�s self up: sacrifice, to surrender to. It is the ultimate self-sacrifice.
� Here is a grand rule, according to which every husband is called to act: Love your wife as Christ loved the Church.
� But how did Christ love the Church?
i. He gave himself for it - he laid down his life for it. So then husbands should, if necessary, lay down their lives for their wives:
ii. and there is more implied in the words than mere protection and support;
iii. as Christ gave himself for the Church to save it, so husbands should labor to promote the salvation of their wives, and their constant edification in righteousness.
iv. we find that the authority of the man over the woman is founded on his love to her, and this love must be such as to lead him to give his life for her.
v. Christ Gave: Literally surrendered.. This means we lay aside our own preferences for our wives.
vi. Christ�s own conduct should serve as our example:
Php 2:6-8 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, (7) but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. (8) And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

vii. Christ�s life of humility, of surrendering himself is one which we should model for our wives and children.
viii. The work of the Shepherd is one of humility
ix. We may not rule our homes in terror, but in humility and love.
� Husbands, do you love your wives? Do you lay your life down for her? Leaders, do you love your sheep as Christ loved his sheep? Do you know them by name? Do you love them and care for them? Do you lay your life down for them?
� Are you well pleased with your church, knowing that these people are the bride of Christ and have been placed here by Christ for you to nurture and care for them?

b. Sanctification through cleansing by washing of water with the word.
� Paul has baptism in mind as he talks about the joy os being a godly husband
� The idea is that the husband has to have his wife�s spiritual well being at heart as much as her physical, if not more.
� Care for the soul of the wife, the bride, is paramount to Paul as he addresses the Ephesians.
� The wife, the bride, is to be sanctified, made holy, set apart by being washed with the word.
� In the New Testament the bride passed through a purifying bath before marriage,
� We see this parallel in Scripture with baptism. The bride is marked, set apart through being cleansed by the word.
� True love for our wives is seen in how we wash them with Christ�s Word. True care for the flock comes through preaching Christ.
� The word of the Lord never returns void!
� Husbands, bathe your wives in the word! Love her, care for her, treasure her by taking care of her soul as Christ cares for yours!!
� Leaders, Care for Christ�s Bride!!
� Do so for this purpose:

2. The Call to Husbands: (27) so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish(28) In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.

� Presented in splendor: glorious, gorgeous:
� Decked out! Dressed to the nines�
� I remember your wedding day! There was no one on earth more beautiful than your wife, right?
� On that final day when Christ returns, let us stand before him glorious, gorgeous. In splendor
� Without spot or wrinkle
� Christ wants a bride that is pure. Not a pock mark, no scars, no imperfections.
� Paul is using this idea of one who�s skin is perfect, one who is beautiful when presented to the bride groom
i. That there will not be any such thing as an imperfection in the bride as she presents herself to her groom.
ii. Wives, husbands, do you remember how hard you worked to make yourself look good for your spouse on your wedding day?
� This is the idea that Paul is presenting us with, but more�
� To be holy
� Christ wants a bride set apart, He is setting apart his bride.
� So too should husbands desire to set their wives apart.
� Our wives should hold a place of honor with us
� We should not consider them a common thing, Christ has given them specially for us to care for
� Do you look at your wife and think �there are many noble women, but you surpass them all�?
� To be without blemish
� Without a physical mark
� Christ is working in his bride so that on that day, we who are betrothed to him will be made perfect so that we will be a bride suitable for the bridegroom at the hour of his coming!

3. The Two-Fold Purpose: (29) For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, (30) because we are members of his body. (31) "Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." (32) This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. (33) However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

a. No one ever hated his own flesh
a. Every man loves himself
b. We care for ourselves
c. We nourish and cherish our own flesh
d. In this same way, Christ nourishes us and cherishes us
e. The two fold purpose is seen in the divine reflection between marriage and Christ and the church.
b. Because we love our wives, because we love our church, We should Nourish her: Nourish (ektrephei). (to nourish up to maturity and on).
� Used only here and Eph_6:4.
� BECAUSE WE LOVE OUR WIFE, OUR CHURCH, WE SHOULD CHERISH HER
o Cherisheth (thalpei). Primarily it means to warm, to foster with tender care.
� Because WE are members of HIS BODY (CHRIST�S)!!!
� We are all members of Christ's body, the church. But the church is his Bride. Hence the language of Gen_2:23, where Adam declares that his wife "is bone of his bone and flesh of his flesh," applies to our relation to Christ.
� Because woman came from man, because in marriage we become one with our spouse, we should love and care for her above all other things
� Do you love your work more than your wife?
� Do you love your �things� more than your wife?
� Or maybe your food? Money? Clothes?
� Maybe your kids or friends?
� What are your idols? What have you placed above your wife?
� By virtue of our being married to Christ, you could say that we are �one flesh� with him� Our marriage to our wives pictures our marriage to Christ!
� It is the mystery of the church!!!
� What is Christ calling us to? Trust and submission to Him� We can�t do this on our own. In HIM WE CAN!!!
� Why is this picture given for marriage? Because of the intimacy of marriage. Christ�s love for us is not some general love for his creation, It�s a love for His own people� He knows us intimately!!!
� Do you value your marriages?
� Do you value your church memberships?
� This mystery is exceedingly great!
� This profound truth, beyond man�s power of discovering, but now revealed, namely, of the spiritual union of Christ and the Church, represented by the marriage union, is a great one, of deep import.
� We are marked by the love we show first to Christ, then to each other�. We are known by Christ.
� How are you known to your wife and kids in your marriage?
� How are you known to your friends?
� Most importantly, how are you known by Christ in your marriage, and is what you project to those around you accurate and true?

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
M
M
(And, dude, you DO NOT want to be dithering about this when a certain fellow Texan, carrying a loaded shotgun, comes calling here!)

Now she's here.

Again, I tried my best to forewarn you of whats to come.

Life keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the fuuuu-ture.
C
C
The therapist says we should be fully honest with each other, but we dint have to or need to tell everyone. What good does it do to my daughters to know she did this. What good does it do to her friends to know this about her. I am all for full exposure, I think that some of the "tell everyone" mentality is revengeful. I haven't even to the OMW that this has occurred.

It seems there are mixed messages, choosing the one for me will be my battle.

Exposure really is the only way 98% of the time to kill an affair. It takes the mystery and romance out of it. The fantasy is killed. It shows her friends and family the level of dishonesty she went through.

Think of it in Gospel terms. Christ was the light that came into the darkness (John)and shed light on men, but men loved the darkness and hated the light because their deeds were evil.

Exposure sheds light on the sin and brings it in the open. It forces honesty and openness and it forces accountability for actions. Vengeance is with the motive to hurt. Exposing in love is to restore and reconcile.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
M
M
I've read article How Affairs End, .... I wish for the mercy for way #1. These two are not leaving families for each other.....that much I know, way #2....and since we are out of state and hundreds of miles apart, I don't know why #3 is the perfect way either. If he lived near by or they had a chance of "running" into each other...than yes, full exposure may be needed.

I want peace of mind for me, my children, OMW, her children, and everyone who loves all of us. It is not going to change anything by posting this on the nightly news. It will only add to pain of others and raise the cost to me and WW. I am a merciful person.....

Who said anything about posting it on the nightly news? People who don't know you don't need to know; but those who DO need to know for a.) their support and b.) to have an extra set of eyes on the adulterers. Trust me ~ the first time I found out about my H's affair I did not expose properly (didn't know about MB yet).

That led to a 10-month false recovery. Nothing could have been worse.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
M
M
P.S. and if you want to talk about having mercy, letting the OMW in on what is happening to her life is about the most merciful thing you could do. Keeping that crucial bit of info from an unsuspecting woman would be merciless.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
Page 3 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 432 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation