Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2537230 08/21/11 07:16 PM
T
Tom2010 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Have not been able to post here for a couple of months. Cannot recall or find my last post title at that time. So just brief summary. Married 42 years, W needing managed care due to fires and history of mental illness. Now out of state in a nursing home. Her, one of the most beautiful people you would ever want to meet. Her, age 66, me age 69, two grown childten. Her, enticed out of state by her brother and sis in law a few months ago due to fact that her care was partly funded by her deceased dad's trust for her, now administrated by her sis in law.

Enticed because she was shown an independent living facility which we could both have lived together at for a long while. Would take some of Her funds which her brother and sil withheld, so now she is out of state and in a bad bad senior facility. Me, an angry husband who didn't have the finances to keep us together, so am guessing I should just sacrafice the marriage for sake of her bro and sil not gettign upset.

Her, upset she made the decision to move from the nursing home here. She did not tell me or my son or dau. when she did this back in May becasue she wanted to get out of there so badly.

Her bro. - has tried to block my calls to her. Diden't work as I had to call their local police a week ago to get my call thru. Worked they did their job, and we finally taked. Bro retaliated with threat that I stated I would kill him to police. They took no action, required him not to contact me.

He is her POA which she did a couple of years ago for her trust fund. So he holds the cards.

When I came on here a year or so ago I never anticipated this.

Talked to her again tonight. It is really sad for me that I cannot be with her and hold her and really discuss how we could work out being together again. Am not funded not to take this on legally or physically. Have been depressd the last few weeks in this. Now getting out of it on my own and no medications. Do not believe in that. If I were hit by a car I would walk away tall and die in the woods and refuse all socalled med attention. That is me, can't change,

Just to clarify, for those of you here how may prejudge, went to Mass this morning, so I feel my soul is in tune with Christ.

This will get resolved - I believe in the "trust in you" prayer to Christ. Just is hard with human nature. It has taken an abundance of help from above for me not to make things worse, but to try to make things better.

No, this is not a situation of betrayel (except from her family)**edit**.

As far as the sad sad betrayed guys here, get on your horse!

Tom

Last edited by MBLBanker; 08/21/11 07:30 PM. Reason: editing for violence
Tom2010 #2537251 08/21/11 08:25 PM
M
M
What can we do to help you, Tom? And why haven't you been able to post?

Last edited by maritalbliss; 08/21/11 08:26 PM.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

T
Tom2010 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Oh Marital this isn't even worth saying.

Take your husband tonight and love him! Can't do that yet with Char. Ah I just needed a friend to talk with tonight is all. Went to Mass this morning, so I know I have the opporunity to be better. It just hurts so bad that she is there and I am here and that we really long to be together. Yea well so a couple of women came to front of my condo this evening from here and admired the flowers. I have alot of geraniums and salvias and yea they are realky nice. Could not care less about those girls in my frame of mind and so even tho I wasn't crude, I didn't respond. They went away and problely laughed all the way at me an uptight gray-haired sob. I simply love my wife and will not violate that, as if they were really interested in me...*s* but no I will not violate out fidelity.

As far as what could be done to help - I posted honestly here awhile ago, and I have done that before, and it hurts when a few here seem privileged to castigate.

Wnet to Confession a week ago and by God Marital the priest got me right. He asked me what is happy in your life and he recognized nothing. Penance, get out of the boat and try to walk with Him, meaning, get out take chances, do colunteer work, keep in contact with my wife, enjoy and encourage our adult kids, and get outside of myself. I am now trying. Volunteering for most unwanted help in volunteering now for the homeless in our community.

Marital you are a saint for even asking! As far as how you can help me there is nothing but I would love to find another friend thru this. There are times honestly when I have felt like drinking or lonely and maybe looking more closely at another woman. Can't do it. And sometimes that makes me feel like a fool. But know what godammit, I am still on my horse for my Char and I am not about to give in to falling off. Not John Wayne, but more like Burt Lancaster ...*s* movie I saw other night. It is still a fact that Char was mislead in relocating to a nursing home out-of-state, and is being denied access to funds her dad set up for her (based on long history of mental illness) which could help us be together. It is not any kind of welfare it is simply sibling spite and dishonesty and that is what is so hard for me to fight without getting crude.

So basically mariatl she is there and I am here and well I feel we will be together sometime but yea I would love to coldcock her brother who conrtols this. That is what hurts - that I would want to do this, and that we are apart. This is what I am going to be working on by just trying to let myself out and doing some volenteer work to get outside of myself.

Thanks marital,

Tom

Tom2010 #2537309 08/22/11 08:35 AM
M
M
This is what I am going to be working on by just trying to let myself out and doing some volenteer work to get outside of myself.
Darn, Tom - that's got to be discouraging. I can't blame you for being frustrated, but I commend you for honoring your marriage and your beliefs.

Volunteering is a great way to help others and get outside of yourself. It's good to hear you've chosen this avenue! clap

Chin up, Tom smile

D-Day 2-10-2009

H
H
Tom,

You do know that your wife can revoke POA at any time she wishes, right?

It is a standard practice that the right to revoke POA is written within the language of the POA declaration.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
F
F
Tom,

You seriously need to involve an advocate on behalf of you and your wife. If you cannot afford an attorney, begin at the local social services department. Most have a unit on aging. If they cannot assist you directly, they can probably advice you on who can.

You do have rights as the spouse, POA or not, and, as Hold says, you can change the POA. If it's a matter of who is going to finance her long term care, you both would be eligible for medicare longterm care benefits, depending upon your assets.

Me: BW,56
Him: WH,57
DD#1 25 yrs ago
DD#2 7 yrs ago
DD#3 May 12
freefall #2537355 08/22/11 10:46 AM
H
H
If I read properly, the brother is financial POA which he did because of this family trust fund.

No matter, her money, her life. He CAN be removed as POA with just a word.

I would start by reporting the brother for abuse of a vulnerable adult, which the state can and will enforce.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

T
Tom2010 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
First of all thank you all much for the support and tolerance. Especially you Marital. And thank you HHH. And yes that is true except for the fact that she has been diagnosed with dementia.

When I talked to her today, gave her the contact I have with he Dept. of Aging in her state. They handle several things from the discussion I had - namely non-disclosure of her assets from her deceased dad and and interuptiing communication within family. I say the latter because the nursing home she is in now was apparently instucted by her brother and sister in law to block. That took a few weeks, Talked to the admin there and no acceptable response or resolve, until I filed a complaint with the local police, and they had to go on premises and made sure she could call me. Now whoever I talk with there to get in touch with her they are very cordial and helpful. Some red faces down there in NC and rightly so!

Tom2010 #2537810 08/23/11 07:46 PM
H
H
Originally Posted by Tom2010
First of all thank you all much for the support and tolerance. Especially you Marital. And thank you HHH. And yes that is true except for the fact that she has been diagnosed with dementia.

When I talked to her today, gave her the contact I have with he Dept. of Aging in her state. They handle several things from the discussion I had - namely non-disclosure of her assets from her deceased dad and and interuptiing communication within family. I say the latter because the nursing home she is in now was apparently instucted by her brother and sister in law to block. That took a few weeks, Talked to the admin there and no acceptable response or resolve, until I filed a complaint with the local police, and they had to go on premises and made sure she could call me. Now whoever I talk with there to get in touch with her they are very cordial and helpful. Some red faces down there in NC and rightly so!

Tom,

Get a hold of that state's mandatory reporting hotline. Also, see if you can get a hold of the state ombudsman.

I can honestly see no reason why you should have to spend a dime in this. BECAUSE of your wife's dementia diagnosis, she is classified as a vulnerable adult, and her brother's actions as POA (becoming POA, moving her away from her lifelong spouse) he very well may be able to be charged with financial abuse of a vulnerable adult. The law is the law.

So, checklist;

Mandatory Reporting hotline for the state in which she currently resides.

Elder care ombudsman for the state in which she currently resides.

It may ALSO be worth it to do the same for your state, the state from which she was moved - the fact that he had her cross state lines may count against him. I don't know. I'm not a elder abuse lawyer, I just provide elder care.

This is, however, how I know that POA declarations include clauses that the POA can be revoked at any time. Every resident with a POA in the facility I work in has this clause in the declaration - and this includes separate POA declarations for finances and healthcare, sometimes the same person, sometimes a separate person.

One thing you might look into is a disinterested party to act as POA - the most common POA representatives I have seen are nieces and nephews, or family friends.

With her family trust fund, a conflict of interest may be presented with her brother's POA involvement.

Tom2010 #2537816 08/23/11 08:09 PM
M
M
Now whoever I talk with there to get in touch with her they are very cordial and helpful. Some red faces down there in NC and rightly so!
Well done, Tom! Don't let a bunch of bureaucrats take away your rights!

And listen carefully to HHH - I am not well-versed in Guardianship law. HHH has a lot of good info for you.

D-Day 2-10-2009

Tom2010 #2537817 08/23/11 08:11 PM
T
Tom2010 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have to split this up because my key board is acting up.

Marital yea am wanting to volunteer, but not that simple. When I was back in college in Madison, and yea going with Char, I called in to a liberal radio station regarding some woman claimig she was diabled and denided benefits. Like a fool I volunteered to attemtp to help her. I was about 23 at the time. Well yea I did drive to talk with her to try to help
with some sympathy and recources, but know what, turned out she was fat, she was a cheat, and I felt betrayed. Never have forgotten that and for good reason.

Well, this is just my opinion but there are truly saints. No, not the immature idiots who come on here hoping for a Harley miracle which will tansform their lives, or those who so boldly turn their faces from their brothers and sisters, and the innocent children in Somalia, the depressed and in danger of taking their lives. My wife is a saint, in a small way. She has compassion and mercy, much more than I have. She is yes a very desirable red haired beauty but she is an honest woman and person. I miss so much being with her and watching movies or whatever with her. This is why I feel even more apprehenive than when we dated.

Thanks All,

Tom

Tom2010 #2537819 08/23/11 08:15 PM
M
M
You're a good man, Tom. Stay the course. Be patient. I'm sorry you have to go through this. {{{Tom}}}

D-Day 2-10-2009

Tom2010 #2537826 08/23/11 08:33 PM
T
Tom2010 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hello,

One thing I forgot to say is yea I have two cats. Well they are both of ours, my wife and me.

Some of you wouldnt believe how much pleasure and peace could come with that. Two cats - Mitzie and Rusty. And my god they are treasured. Of course I love to tease. Bought those catnip mice and well you can guess. When I am sitting here in the lounger and watching a mocie or sports and tease either by putting that little catnip mouse on my leg they leap and their ears go back. Then I tossed it up and Rusty leapt and tred to bite it to death. Then Mitzie tried to grab that play mouse. and they just batted each other. I laughed so hard at that that I almost lost my breath but I felt is was healthy for me. I still can't stop laughing. Cats just atared at me when I was laughing as if to tell me "what's with you dude"

Just another expression.

Tom

Tom2010 #2537830 08/23/11 08:45 PM
M
M
One thing I forgot to say is yea I have two cats.
Once you realize that they are the owners of the house, you've got it made. smile We've got a stray cat that we found (or rather, she found us.)Absolutely beautiful - a tortoiseshell, and I was stunned that she was a stray. She is now the owner of the house.

But she refuses to make the mortgage payments.

D-Day 2-10-2009

T
Tom2010 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Oh my god...well that name with a capital G

But, you made me laugh heartily and that is good. I can't tell you how many time the past few weeks I have laughed at them - our cats - but it is delightful. Char used to get upset the way I spent time teasing them, but we both laughed about it lots after she slapped me upside down. Problem is they don't conribute to food purchases at all here. Don't even contribure to the water bill! If Mitzie could finally stop pawing on the bedroom door opening it and hopping one the bed at 5am I might be able to get a full night sleep. But, on the other hand, what are ya going to do with a purring female who hope into your bed at that hour! *s*

Tom

And ps, thank you.

T
Tom2010 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
HHH,

I sincerely apprecaiate your adice. I am not discouting you due to my silly response to Marital, but I just feel very good tonight. As good as I can be in living without her.

I have filed a compliant with both the NC Attorney General office as well as Dept. of Aging. Did that last few days.

I want our daughter who is a very mature person to take over. She knows this and is willing to, but brother will probably go to court. I gave my wife all the contact and resource infor mation that I have gatered in last few weeks. I just want her to initiate because I feel it would be much more vaild than coming from me at this point. If it was a case of physical abuse as it was last year at the nursing home in this area and had to call police several times and engage Ombudsman from IL Dept of Elder Care and couselors from that agency visited her there in that nursing home several times to make sure she was physically and emotionally well - much to the dismay of the nursing home admin who I had words with to say the least.

It's just going to be a battle HHH and I realize it. North Carolina is not exactly the most intellegent nor progressive state in our nation.

Thank you much for your advice, going to review it and think about next steps. All I can say/

Tom

T
Tom2010 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Ya know what Marital,

It's just simply people like you and all the others on here who really do help others keep going. It's as simple as that. No I am not going to find the highest bridge or building to jump from, but sometimes I feel lonely and in need of help is all.

Okay, now is late here... had lots to do today.. but now a Gary Cooper film and pizza - frozen genuine Gino's pizza from Chicago. When char asked me what I was going to eat tonight and I told her the Gino's I could almost sense she was drooling and almost felt her slap me over the phone because I could not invite her here tonight. Of course Mitzie will probably attempt to lick and dance on the pizza after I take it our of the oven and if i walk away from the kitchen counter for even a few minutes. She loves pizsa but never pays for it! *s*

Anyway, take care,

Tom

Tom2010 #2537849 08/23/11 10:46 PM
V
V
Tom,

Next time you come to NC to see Char would you like a few loaner kitties? I have 6 now, down from 7. There's one one the couch, two kittens playing tag down the hall, one on the lounger, and one on the ottoman.

Cats are incredible, love my 'children'!

Hope all works out for you and Char. If there's anything I can do for you I'm in the Winston area, I'd be happy to help. I work too much, play too little, and no very few people up here, but if you need me let me know.

Me: 30
Him: 39
Together 5 years
Married the very best man in the world 04/06/2013 after being common law for too long. I'm a lucky woman.
7 Cats - Viscount Ashley of Leftfield, Pawkie Petunia, The Timinator, Leo the Lionheart, Fruit Snack, Cloud, and Barret
And our very lucky pony, Starbucks
T
Tom2010 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hope, I would not want to be there now, but I thank you. Tropical depession if not a hurricane pedicted to hit in a few days at about SAE part of NC where she is at. Talkded to her earlier today and and they aren't going to accept any more calls until this is over due to keeping lines open.

Progress tho, she gave me the name and number of her psychiatrist she is seeing there. That is important. Her dr. told her to tell me to contact her to provide her with Char's history as I know it and to give her family's side. She did call NC Dept. of Aging today, got rushed around. I suspect she became confused and didn't get to the right person. She asked me to call which I damn well will now to present her case. I understand her situation and her frustration in not being able to get to the right person. When it gets a little confusing or tough she tends to give up. This is no way a criticism of her because she did the best she was capable of doing. I just wanted her to try to do this on her own with my backing. So now I will gladly pick this up for her.

Now I have another situation. A young woman here in the complex was walking her dog earlier today and is a really grand dog, retriever. Well we talked a little while and one thing got to another and she knows I have cats she sees them staring out the ground level patio window. She's divorcing has to sell and move from here and doesn't think she can keep this dog. She asked me if I would be interested before she has to go to a shelter with the dog and I have to admit I asked her to give me a couple of days. A beautiful very friendly golden retriever and just three years. I am an easy sucker for animals but problem is if dog and our cats could be integrated. I am seriosly contemplating but I don't want to upset the household here.

Hope all of you are as well as can be.

Tom

Tom2010 #2538073 08/25/11 03:44 AM
T
T
Hi Tom,

if the dog is a calm retriever and your cats are generally fairly chilled, there should be no real problem, keep the dog on a lead for a while, till you are sure, but I have always had dogs and cats together, while the dogs would chase outside cats the inside ones...ie his or her cats, all was fine with much mutual grooming and obvious affection.

Might take time but I would go for it, you clearly clicked with this hound!!

It will also make you get out, take excersise and meet people. Nice for Char too when she comes home, cos I am sure she will...soon.

Me 50
WH 52
WH in A 6 yrs in total, last 5 yrs JGF (Not!)
DD final 1.12.10
NC letter sent 3.12.10

Working at being the best I can be, the rest is up to you.

He is still a plonker, but he is my plonker!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,093 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation