Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
_
_
I agree with SW here. Go ahead and put the guys in the friend zone, but I wouldn't put the 'few years' time limit. Just put them in there until you feel you are ready and the time is right.

By the way, it is possible to date without the kids being aware that it is going on. But definitely not until you know you are ready and could take it or leave it. You'll be OK.

ETA- I also participated in a local Divorce Care group and felt it helped. Did you sign up for the daily emails from there? Some real good stuff comes in the emails too.

Last edited by _SOL; 09/28/11 09:49 PM.

-SOL
K
K
Okay so this shows how much of a life I DON'T have...it's Friday night and I'm on forums, playing on line Scrabble, and chasing my dog around the house for fun. Is that pitiful or what?! But hey, I STILL prefer it to the thought of dating!

Enacting life's lessons into positive change... .
K
Kirby Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by _SOL
ETA- I also participated in a local Divorce Care group and felt it helped. Did you sign up for the daily emails from there? Some real good stuff comes in the emails too.

Yep, I'm getting the daily emails. I agree that there's a lot of good stuff in there. Not everything really fits me or my situation, but they are short and to the point so I can read or glance and delete as needed.

Me: BS 51
Himself: WH 53, EA/PA w/ RunnerSlut his "running buddy."
Buncha' kids. The two youngest are still minors.
Separated: 08/13/09 after 25 years of marriage
Plan D: Filed 11/13/09 Final 3/30/11
MC told me that he probably has a personality disorder
K
Kirby Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by kaycstamper
Okay so this shows how much of a life I DON'T have...it's Friday night and I'm on forums, playing on line Scrabble, and chasing my dog around the house for fun. Is that pitiful or what?! But hey, I STILL prefer it to the thought of dating!

Online puzzles for me. And, NO, it's not pitiful if that's what you WANT to do. If you wish you were doing something else and it makes you unhappy, THEN it's pitiful.

_
_
I agree that it's totally fine to do whatever it is that YOU want to do. I strongly believe that you must be able to be happy and comfortable being alone before you are truly ready to start to date.

-SOL
S
S
Originally Posted by Migs
And, it's good to also hear that many of you found a special someone rather quickly. I SERIOUSLY DO NOT want to "date around". BUT, I'm a tad scared that I'll fall hard for someone quickly and that, to me, would not be a good thing. However, it seems that this has worked beautifully for some of you; and I'm SOOO happy for you.

Lastly, you won't believe how high my standards are. I'm certain there's no one out there who will meet them.

Therefore, am I ready to date? No way. Not sure I ever will be. God will have to divinely intervene if it's to be.

Just my two cents.....

High standards are good. Great actually.

Funny you mentioned not wanting to 'date around.' My dh and I were praying to God at the same time. My prayer said, 'if it takes a new dh to get over this trauma, then please send him to me.' Dh was praying, 'I want a mate. If you want me to have one please help me. But I don't think I can go through multiple dating processes....so if you want me to have a mate, please let her be the first one.'

I will be glad to see you divorced and see how your ideas change....:)

M
M
smile SW smile

Lucky for me I am an only child and am VERY independent. Not sure my ideas will change. Been burned once, not sure I want to put myself out there again. I feel blessed that I am not dependent on a man in any shape, form or fashion (emotionally, financially, physically, etc). I just as soon not take the risk again. I think being single will be less complicated.

But, I am fully aware that I am not in charge and that my Heavenly Father is. He'll have to change my heart if it is to be.........

Will keep you posted. smile

Me: BS age 35
POS-eX-the SORRIEST, CRUELEST, LOWLY WAYWARD SCUMBAG out there
Married 14.5 years, together almost 16
DDay: 7-5-09
OC born: 7-23-09
no COM: tried 6 years frown
D filed 5/05/2011
D final 11/10/11
I was gaslighted for 2 years.

"You were not built for a safe story. Take risks and feel what it is like to actually be brave. It's worth it." Carlos Whittaker
K
K
I'm happy the way I am, but if you WANT to date, make sure you're not still thinking about your ex one way or another all the time and make sure you've dealt with any unforgiveness/bitterness before dating...it's toxic and it spreads.

Enacting life's lessons into positive change... .
K
Kirby Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I just re-read this whole thread because I'm not sure what to think about dating.

The attractive man from my Divorce Care group had his divorced finalized this week. He sent me a text for the first time shortly afterward. He called me today.

Hmmmm.....

I don't think he's ready to date yet. I don't know if I am. I guess I just need to wait and see what happens next.

Oh, and I almost never think about my WXH. He has stopped seeing the kids again. They haven't heard from him in over a month.

S
S
How long was he seperated before the divorce was final?

K
Kirby Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by SmilingWoman
How long was he seperated before the divorce was final?

I'm not sure. He found out about the OM about a year before the divorce was final. I'm not sure when his wife moved out.

O
O
I don't think he's ready to date yet. I don't know if I am.
I have a pretty good perspective on this as my divorce was final in recent memory (some 15 months ago). I was really anxious to date, but had NO IDEA what I was doing. Hadn't really developed any sense of self at one week out. After a month I finally got my first date and it was an experience.
Let's just say it takes a while to get your "single feet" under you, and separation doesn't count - there is a world of difference between separation and divorce; even that doesn't sink in right away.
I'll admit I probably started dating too early (going against advisors here), but I never meant to get into anything too involved.
I'd would encourage him to date a couple/few women prior to going out with him. Make an excuse or stall for a while. Maybe after the holidays. He'll be more grounded and I think you'll get more out of the experience.
Just my thoughts for you Kirby.

opt

Me: 43 y.o. BFWH, D-day 11/11/09 (NC since 9/01)
Divorce from WW final 9/16/10.
Current Status: MB-based Marriage to Nature Girl 12/8/12 (first date on 12/11/10)
Mine: S(16), D(11)
NatureGirls: S(23), D(21)
Another EA Story
K
Kirby Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by optimism
I'd would encourage him to date a couple/few women prior to going out with him. Make an excuse or stall for a while. Maybe after the holidays. He'll be more grounded and I think you'll get more out of the experience.
Just my thoughts for you Kirby.

opt

Thanks so much for the advice, opt.

I think I'm going to wait until my divorce has been final for a year before I date. That will be at the end of March. That right there is plenty of excuse. If he asks me out before then, I'll tell him no and why. I agree that separation during the divorce is part of the healing process, but things ARE different after the divorce is final.

I'm still trying to figure out what's "normal" just with me and the kids. They don't want someone else thrown into the mix. The man has two kids still at home, and he has 50/50 custody. They've been through a lot with their mom and probably are like mine--they need one parent to show some stability.

O
O
I think I'm going to wait until my divorce has been final for a year before I date. That will be at the end of March. That right there is plenty of excuse. If he asks me out before then, I'll tell him no and why. I agree that separation during the divorce is part of the healing process, but things ARE different after the divorce is final.
Kirby I think this is very wise on your part. Your kids will most likely benefit from the extra time with you exclusively. Even though my son encouraged me to date it was more of a shock to him than he anticipated and now we're still getting used to it. Also, if your handsome man has 50% custody, he will need some time to see what that really means. Especially when it comes to dating - many women aren't going to go for it.

~opt

Current Status: MB-based Marriage to Nature Girl 12/8/12 (first date on 12/11/10)
Another EA Story
M
M
Also, if your handsome man has 50% custody, he will need some time to see what that really means. Especially when it comes to dating - many women aren't going to go for it.

~opt

Can you clarify this comment for me?

O
O
Originally Posted by itistoughlove
Also, if your handsome man has 50% custody, he will need some time to see what that really means. Especially when it comes to dating - many women aren't going to go for it.

~opt

Can you clarify this comment for me?

I'll try, iitl. I have found 50% custody to be very time consuming. I always spent a lot of time with my kids, and now I spend more (which I love). But between having them from Wednesday to Saturday and every other Sunday, and then trying to run the household the other days, there really isn't much time (or energy) for dating.
I'm lucky to have been dating a woman who gets all this and also enjoys a lot of the same things I do, including domestic tasks -- part of our UA has been with cleaning our cars together, gardening/lawnwork, and even laundry/errands. I think my current GF, NG is special that she understands all this and still works with me on getting together and enjoying the time we have together. I have a suspicion that most women want a man to be a little more available than that.

does that answer your question Tough? was there something more you were wondering about? perhaps i'm out to lunch on this, idk...
smile

opt

Another EA Story
K
Kirby Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I have found 50% custody to be very time consuming. I always spent a lot of time with my kids, and now I spend more (which I love). But between having them from Wednesday to Saturday and every other Sunday, and then trying to run the household the other days, there really isn't much time (or energy) for dating.

I thought that's what you meant, opt. I can see your point. Since Himself has stepped away from the kids, I have them all the time. Of course, my kids are teens and older so I can leave them when I need to.

On the other hand, my kids have abandonment issues from their father, so the last thing they need is for Mom to be gallivanting all over creation all the time.

M
M
Actually those words made me so sad to the reality of what our children face today.

How awful that children are often thrown out because the new GF or BF thinks the parent spends too much of their time with them.

I know I can love anyone's children. I know if I am in a relationship with a man with children, that I would probably take on a very caring(possibly motherly) role because that is my nature. I have many kids.

My WH abandoned us. One thing my counselor warned me is to make sure the men I date don't meet my children for a very long time. FC is a very very high need of mine, and I could end up with a not so good husband because he is nice to my kids. I feel a positive about me is my love for children, and not just my own. I hope a man will like that about me, and see that as a gift versus a curse.

Getting a man's perspective on dating is wonderful. I appreciate your feedback and welcome more as you progress with NG.

Tough

Last edited by itistoughlove; 11/12/11 09:28 PM.
S
S
Kirby I think this is very wise on your part. Your kids will most likely benefit from the extra time with you exclusively. Even though my son encouraged me to date it was more of a shock to him than he anticipated and now we're still getting used to it. Also, if your handsome man has 50% custody, he will need some time to see what that really means. Especially when it comes to dating - many women aren't going to go for it.

~opt

I agree with Opt on this. And your 'excuse' is perfect in that you don't have to make him feel rejected as you wait. In the meantime I assume you will still see him at your Divorce group where there will opportunities to chat and get to know each other better as two single people.

In 4 months he will either still be waiting for you or not. That will be your first answer.

I began dating too soon and it was a very bad move. However, when I met a man (introduced by friends) 9 months after the divorce was final (and 14 months after seperation) I was in a much better place and I was able to see right away that we could have a happy life together. We just had our one year anniversary last week!

K
Kirby Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by SmilingWoman
I agree with Opt on this. And your 'excuse' is perfect in that you don't have to make him feel rejected as you wait. In the meantime I assume you will still see him at your Divorce group where there will opportunities to chat and get to know each other better as two single people.

Yeah, I'll still see him regularly. Divorce group, coffee afterwards with the group, etc.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,024 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation