Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
OP Offline
N
Hi guys,

Been a LONG time since I was on. And I have a question that I knew this was the place I would get an intelligent answer.

Have an IRL couple whom I know and here is the situation.

An affair hit the marriage, and it did it's damage. Doesn't matter who committed it. Point is, H & W at this point can't stand each other and don't talk to each other unless it is to make biting comments.

They have a DS (14) and a DD (7) and are staying together for the sake of the kids. Meaning they don't want to ruin the childhood for the kids with the weekend swapping, the relative loss of income (once they establish two homes). They are essentially faking it for their sakes.

Which sometimes works out. Sometimes there are yelling and screaming matches until the kids are in tears. A lot of hatred between mom and dad.

Is this the right call? Suck it up for the sake of the children?

Or is this the wrong call? Meaning what kind of spouse are these kids going to become, based on the example of their parents? What will they consider "acceptable?"

And on a side note, is this how it was in the 50s when divorce was taboo?

NCW

S
S
Why don't you tell the couple about this site, and the fact that using MB and DrH's program can help them create a romantic marriage where both of their ENs are being met, and neither one is committing any LBs. It is important for their children, but more importantly, for themselves.

And I dunno about marriages in the 50s, but it wouldn't matter, we have MB now.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
N
OP Offline
N
I did tell them about the site.

Sorta have to admit there is a problem before you will listen, though. :-(

S
S
Why don't you offer them one of the books? Maybe HNHN. Tell them that it could help them have a fulfilling marriage.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
N
N
hurray Hi NC!!!!!!!!!

Are you up to doing a little weekly counseling with them? Are they up to doing a little weekly counseling with you?

Cause yanno you + MB could beat 95% of counselors any day of the week.

What this couple needs is what any couple needs. Identify and meet top EN's. Avoid Lovebusters. Do that, and the love bank will grow, and they will fall in love again.

EP's are probably badly needed, too, and hopefully NC has already been established. (And I don't mean NC Walker, lol.) But that doesn't change the basic mathematical formula of
EN's Met - LoveBusters = Full Love Bank

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
C
C
Originally Posted by NCWalker

In addition to HNHN, they need to read lovebusters. We've been going through similar stuff with my parents, though we are all grown. Have decided to take the tact that "you cannot do this, mom (or dad), this is disrespectful and rude."

But we have a family link that allows us to get away with a bit more...

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
I
I

You can bring water to the horses but you cant make them drink.

I might go a bit double agent on this couple, without telling any porkies to encourage them to drink tho,

To the wayward, I would say the book (SAA) tells how an affair can sometimes happen when needs are being met outside the marriage (those waywards love to talk about needs!) so much that it creates the feeling of addiction. Tell them it also describes a way to get the same needs met inside the marriage and overcome the BSs resentment

To the BS I would say it is a great tool in understanding why someone cheats, how to predict it and prevent it happening again. Talk about the whole 'snooping is ok' thing and that they deserve 'just compensation' rather than forgiving the whole debt to suck them in.

Other than that, you may have to accept that some people dont want help.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

M
M
They are essentially faking it for their sakes.

Which sometimes works out. Sometimes there are yelling and screaming matches until the kids are in tears. A lot of hatred between mom and dad.

Howdy, NC!! What they should do is stop fighting and use this program to fall in love again. It wouldnt' take long either. Why be miserable when you don't have to be?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

N
N
You can also have a heart-to-heart with the husband. See if you can get him on board with single-handedly working toward some changes.

One great thing about MB is one spouse can get it going, even if the other isn't interested.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
M
M
Neak is right. If you could get the husband to counsel with Steve Harley, Steve could help him persuade his wife to get on board. A little motivation is all it would take and then we could take it from there!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

N
N
Of course I picked the husband because you will be able to talk with him about the R in ways you couldn't do with the wife.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
M
M

From what I hear on Dr. Harley's radio show, this "third choice" is very common. And it's always a disaster.

But separating is not the "better solution." The better solution is to make the best of it by learning to fall in love with each other.

Dr. Harley recently opened up his years of radio show archives where we can all stream them online and share links to them. I wish I had some good links to share with you on this; I've heard him discuss it multiple times. You might write in and see if you can get him to address it, and then send a link to the show to your friends. In addition to the several other good suggestions. smile

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
You know, the radio show is really free counseling. If you can get one of your friends to write/call in (possibly after you write in first), you may be able to use that as the hook that gets one or both of them interested in a program of recovery. Get them a sample to listen to, get them a sample of Dr. Harley's writings (maybe try "How Dr. Harley learned to save marriages,"), tell them they get a free book if their question is on the show. There are lots of great incentives. smile

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
>waving<
hug

Hellooooooooooooooooo

I hope YOU are well.

Pep ( remember me? ) rotflmao

M
M
Originally Posted by Neak
Of course I picked the husband because you will be able to talk with him about the R in ways you couldn't do with the wife.

In addition to that, Dr. Harley has said that the husband being on board with the program is often more of a guarantee of success. (Not sure if that statistic holds true in the case of affairs or not, though; it may just be for non-affair-struck marriages in trouble.)

N
OP Offline
N
Hello Pep and Mel and Neak.

Yes, I remember you all. You are like war veterans to me, you don't forget people you fought with. (In the side by side sense, not in the against each other sense). (Except maybe Mel, being a Texan I think that's a sign of love).

I am doing fine and well. Centered and happy. Busy raising the 3 DSs to the best of my ability. And they are all three doing excellent.

Back to the issue....

I got the books and know the program. My goal was more background on the 3rd choice and how it doesn't work. This couple is convinced this is the right thing to do and won't consider the other options.

Personally, I grew up next to a couple like this. Mom and dad HATED each other. They kept it civil, but the home was "cold" if that made sense. And the kids? Sought love where ever they could.

The daughter was sleeping with neighborhood men at 15 yrs old. Ugh. Because we all know there is a shortage of opportunistic [censored].

I don't think they have a chance as a couple. There is always hope, but there is near zero motivation. My concern is the kids at this point. I know the kids well through mine and, well, the kids have good hearts. Hate to see that wrecked.

And it is a small, rigidly religious area. Put the blinders on, plod along, and don't hear God. Can you believe I am the weird guy in the neighborhood? (Don't answer that). Makes no sense. So I am thinking more along the lines of "Look what you're risking...." to motivate them into either action to reconcile, or split and move on.

Heck I would have thrown in the towel. But the kids are good.

N
N
What's best for their kids (having parents that love each other and show them how to have a good marriage) may motivate them where nothing else will.

Otherwise, what are they teaching their kids but that marriage is some awful thing that you have to grit your teeth and endure.

SO GOOD to hear from you!!! And Nooo of course I can't believe you're the weird guy in the neighborhood.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
M
M
Glad to hear you all are doing well!

Well, your friends won't last long like that. Once the hate and the fighting begins, it is like a snowball. The more they fight, the more they hate, and the more they hate, the more they will fight. What a stupid way to choose to live. They don't HAVE to live like that. Harley has turned around hundreds of marriages where they hated each other.

Exposure 101

M
M
Hello Pep and Mel and Neak.

Yes, I remember you all. You are like war veterans to me, you don't forget people you fought with. (In the side by side sense, not in the against each other sense). (Except maybe Mel, being a Texan I think that's a sign of love).

I am doing fine and well. Centered and happy. Busy raising the 3 DSs to the best of my ability. And they are all three doing excellent.

Back to the issue....

I got the books and know the program. My goal was more background on the 3rd choice and how it doesn't work. This couple is convinced this is the right thing to do and won't consider the other options.

Personally, I grew up next to a couple like this. Mom and dad HATED each other. They kept it civil, but the home was "cold" if that made sense. And the kids? Sought love where ever they could.

The daughter was sleeping with neighborhood men at 15 yrs old. Ugh. Because we all know there is a shortage of opportunistic [censored].

I don't think they have a chance as a couple. There is always hope, but there is near zero motivation. My concern is the kids at this point. I know the kids well through mine and, well, the kids have good hearts. Hate to see that wrecked.

And it is a small, rigidly religious area. Put the blinders on, plod along, and don't hear God. Can you believe I am the weird guy in the neighborhood? (Don't answer that). Makes no sense. So I am thinking more along the lines of "Look what you're risking...." to motivate them into either action to reconcile, or split and move on.

Heck I would have thrown in the towel. But the kids are good.

I've seen that kind of religious mindset. Marriage is a suicide pact and it's not about romantic love at all. In fact that may just be a trick that Satan plays on us. Even if it is a good gift from God, it's not something that'll last. Marriage is more about looking off into the distance while sitting next to each other than it is about looking into each other's eyes...

I don't like it. smile

If you could get a quote from Dr. Harley on it on the radio show, I'd be able to pass around a link to that show, and I'd love that. I'm just sayin'. wink

C
C
Sorry to hear about the children.

It wasn't all that way in the 50s though, although I will admit it was with my parents in the 60s. Grin and bear it.

But I remember many couples who were happy and in love when I was growing up, from way back in the day. I think its the media hype and bad news popularity contests that give us that stigma that all marraiges are doomed.

Yeah Markos I hate it too. Satan is in charge there I am sure.

Seems those good marriges had one thing in common, humility before God.

Is this couple approachable from a spiritual standpoint NC? at least for the Kids sake?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 870 guests, and 82 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation