Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 26 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 26
M
M
Originally Posted by MrA
She still is struggling and feeling worthless

This is a dramatic excuse used to avoid doing anything about her crime.

and I would not like the suicidal talk to come back again

If the suicidal talk comes back again, call 911. Every time. You can handle that, right? With that plan in place, you will not need to worry about this. Either she needs help and gets it, or she's being a dramatic drama queen and discovers that this doesn't get her anywhere.

When people threaten suicide, you should call for help. Each and every time.

She thinks everyone is still out to pass judgement upon her

Shouldn't we expect that when we do something wrong, people call it wrong?

She should quit trying to pick motes out of everyone's eyes and start focusing on her beam. She has a monstrous beam, here.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
The cool thing about her feeling worthless is that as long as she feels worthless, she won't have to do anything about what she did. She gets off scot free that way, and you never recover. Isn't that cool?

She will feel a lot better after she starts doing something to make the situation better. She will not feel better until she acts. So sitting around whining about how she feels does nothing except make the situation worse.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
S
Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by MrA

This is a dramatic excuse used to avoid doing anything about her crime.

I could not agree more with this. My STBXWH posted here after the last dday and was very dramatic in expressing how angry he was at himself and even did the "I want to crawl under a rock and die" thing...

With waywards, talk is CHEAP. Actions are what matter.

Is she willing to send the NC letter? Willing to change ALL of the ways that OM can make contact (phone, email, fb, job) and commit to radical honesty and rebuilding your M?

If not, just ignore these dramatic declarations. They are basically meaningless and meant to distract you.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
N
N
Originally Posted by MrA
I scheduled an appt with a counselor for her tmo so she can talk to someone and help stabilize.

Careful there. The counselor will probably give her the "find yourself" and "whatever makes you happy" line that doesn't necessarily include you and only reinforces her self-centered outlook.

Originally Posted by MrA

Struggling and feeling worthless about what? About screwing up her marriage and hurting you or just getting caught and making an [censored] of herself. There's a big difference there, and if she hasn't said otherwise, I'd bet it's the latter.

Originally Posted by MrA
and I would not like the suicidal talk to come back again like yesterday after she read the comment comparing rape and infidelity.

Call the police next time. Tell her enough of the childish drama. She did that to get you to back down and feel sorry for her. Plain and simple.

Originally Posted by MrA

She cannot quite get past the "ME ME" part, can she? By chance, has she inquired how this little episode affected or is affecting you?

But all that aside, the main questions are "When was the last time she talked to OM?" and what is she going to do to make sure it never happens again?

It is good to hear, though, that you have family and friends standing by you on this. By chance did she send out that letter that she posted all over the place here?

Me (BH)
FWW
Married 2000, DS 8, DD 6, DD 2

M
MrA Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Northwood8900
Originally Posted by MrA

Struggling and feeling worthless about what? About screwing up her marriage and hurting you or just getting caught and making an [censored] of herself. There's a big difference there, and if she hasn't said otherwise, I'd bet it's the latter.

Has said it about both. Still thinks I shouldn't have told EVERYBODY.

Originally Posted by MrA
and I would not like the suicidal talk to come back again like yesterday after she read the comment comparing rape and infidelity.
Call the police next time. Tell her enough of the childish drama. She did that to get you to back down and feel sorry for her. Plain and simple.

I was going to but she was in the car and wouldn't tell me where she was. She came back down after some talking about how she is still focusing about the exposure and not the rebuilding process like our Pastor advised us on Tuesday.

Originally Posted by MrA

She cannot quite get past the "ME ME" part, can she? By chance, has she inquired how this little episode affected or is affecting you?

No. I have told her it was embarrassing to me too. Having people know I sat around 6mos doing nothing to stop it other than pleading with her.

But all that aside, the main questions are "When was the last time she talked to OM?" and what is she going to do to make sure it never happens again?

It is good to hear, though, that you have family and friends standing by you on this. By chance did she send out that letter that she posted all over the place here?

Last contact (that I know of) = Monday just prior to her experience in the woods where God spoke to her. He sent one email yesterday which I explained earlier. She said she deleted without opening which I know can be then set to marked "unread". So I don't have 100% certainty she didn't reply. He did send ME a copy of her claimed last email telling him to stop contacting her as she was going to kill herself.

She did send out the letter to about 20 or so people she could verify got my exposure letter. There has been some positive responses from people (supporting her and about getting back to God and inspiring them to look at their relationship with Christ)and some have expressed concern (to me) about making sure she sees someone for depression. She is going to a Christian based therapist tmo.

I just was talking to her about FB, email and telephone and a NO CONTACT letter. She is afraid OM might do something crazy if he got a letter and she wanted to run that past our Pastor. I said "I don't care, I am not afraid of him and if I needed to I could have an army on his doorstep" I also told her she should CC: Sheriffs Dept. Not sure what your feelings are on this?

As far as FB goes I said I don't want her having one which she said "can we do one together?" as she likes staying in touch with her friends. I said if that was the case I was not going to have certain people on there. I should just stick to my guns. On Email I told her exactly what someone suggested earlier. New email and I would control old one in case any pertinent (banks etc.) stuff needed to be updated to new email that we forgot to notify. Phone - I know all passwords to online accts and everything. She claims all his #'s are blocked to all of our #'s. I said I still want to change it - safest way to protect our marriage.

DD11 then got into car and we had to stop the conversation. To stick to ML advice I still need to cover "poly" and getting in program to rebuild marriage.

M
MrA Offline OP
OP Offline
M
What are your thoughts when she wants to do a scrap-book weekend with her girlfriends? They usually do these once a year (maybe) in different cities and they stay together 2 or 3 to a room to save $. Is that unreasonable? Or is it acceptable as long as we agree upon a plan to ensure she is where she says she is?

Or do we make it a family trip and I take kids out to explore the town/shop/swim etc. while she is scrapping?

M
M
Originally Posted by MrA
What are your thoughts when she wants to do a scrap-book weekend with her girlfriends? They usually do these once a year (maybe) in different cities and they stay together 2 or 3 to a room to save $. Is that unreasonable? Or is it acceptable as long as we agree upon a plan to ensure she is where she says she is?

Or do we make it a family trip and I take kids out to explore the town/shop/swim etc. while she is scrapping?
She goes NOWHERE overnight without you. Very simple.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
MrA Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
Originally Posted by MrA

She goes NOWHERE overnight without you. Very simple.

Mmmk

M
M
I would be shutting down facebook immediately. I would also move the computer to a room where you can sit with her while she is on it; I would make her computer time very limited for now.

M
M
Originally Posted by MrA

MrA, I am very concerned by this question, and I'm afraid that you don't understand the gravity of the situation you're facing right now.

The LAST thing the two of you need to be considering is getting her all packed up to take off for the weekend with 'the girls'! Seriously?? confused

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

N
N
Originally Posted by MrA
I just was talking to her about FB, email and telephone and a NO CONTACT letter. She is afraid OM might do something crazy if he got a letter and she wanted to run that past our Pastor.

A delaying tactic, probably. She wants to run the show, still, so it's up to you to either concede or insist. My FWW was like that, too, and (for a while) nitpicked a lot of things just to try to maintain control.

Originally Posted by MrA
I said "I don't care, I am not afraid of him and if I needed to I could have an army on his doorstep" I also told her she should CC: Sheriffs Dept. Not sure what your feelings are on this?

Good, glad you insisted on her abiding by your conditions. The Sheriff's Department could probably care less, but, what the hell, why not.

Originally Posted by MrA
As far as FB goes I said I don't want her having one which she said "can we do one together?" as she likes staying in touch with her friends. I said if that was the case I was not going to have certain people on there. I should just stick to my guns.

That seems reasonable. Make sure your picture is of both of you.

Originally Posted by MrA
On Email I told her exactly what someone suggested earlier. New email and I would control old one in case any pertinent (banks etc.) stuff needed to be updated to new email that we forgot to notify. Phone - I know all passwords to online accts and everything. She claims all his #'s are blocked to all of our #'s. I said I still want to change it - safest way to protect our marriage.

Good steps.

Does she have her own computer at the house? Internet access as well?

We're all pulling for you, you know.

Me (BH)
FWW

N
N
The LAST thing the two of you need to be considering is getting her all packed up to take off for the weekend with 'the girls'! Seriously?? confused

I agree, especially if this trip is in the near future.

If it's, say, six months from now, worry about it when it gets there. You've got bigger fish to fry.

But the trip should be a joint decision where you both are happy with the result (POJA). The option for making it a family trip sounds reasonable, but that's assuming she's not some foggy wayward at the time ESPECIALLY if these friends of hers condoned or turned a blind eye to the affair.

You guys need to be spending time together, not separately. What didn't work before won't work this time around, either. Toxic friends that said nothing about her affair need not apply for inclusion in your new marriage.

Hence the question--is the trip next week or next season?

Me (BH)
FWW

A
A
Mr. A,

FYI from observation here as well as first-hand experience false recovery. When a WS refuses/is reluctant to write an NC letter in the manner of the SAA book, it is because the WS wants to maintain/initiate contact.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
M
MrA Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by MrA

MrA, I am very concerned by this question, and I'm afraid that you don't understand the gravity of the situation you're facing right now.

Nothing is planned right now but it will come up. It has always been safe to me. Its usually where she used (7hrs away)to live and either friends are always around (that wouldn't put up with it) and I always see from pictures of the weekend etc and the books they made, that it was in fact what she was doing. I am sure the "smothering" will come up when I say NO...IDK I am just projecting future issues. Will there ever be time alone? What if I want to go on a hunting trip? I am just trying to figure some of this out - cause I want it to work, but sometimes, there has to be some things done in the future that may not involve both of us doing the same thing.

M
MrA Offline OP
OP Offline
M

I agree, especially if this trip is in the near future.

If it's, say, six months from now, worry about it when it gets there. You've got bigger fish to fry.

But the trip should be a joint decision where you both are happy with the result (POJA). The option for making it a family trip sounds reasonable, but that's assuming she's not some foggy wayward at the time ESPECIALLY if these friends of hers condoned or turned a blind eye to the affair.

You guys need to be spending time together, not separately. What didn't work before won't work this time around, either. Toxic friends that said nothing about her affair need not apply for inclusion in your new marriage.

Hence the question--is the trip next week or next season?

Nothing planned now...just getting to far in front of myself. I will reserve this question for when the time comes.

M
MrA Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by MrA
I just was talking to her about FB, email and telephone and a NO CONTACT letter. She is afraid OM might do something crazy if he got a letter and she wanted to run that past our Pastor.

A delaying tactic, probably. She wants to run the show, still, so it's up to you to either concede or insist. My FWW was like that, too, and (for a while) nitpicked a lot of things just to try to maintain control.

Originally Posted by MrA
I said "I don't care, I am not afraid of him and if I needed to I could have an army on his doorstep" I also told her she should CC: Sheriffs Dept. Not sure what your feelings are on this?

Good, glad you insisted on her abiding by your conditions. The Sheriff's Department could probably care less, but, what the hell, why not.

Originally Posted by MrA
As far as FB goes I said I don't want her having one which she said "can we do one together?" as she likes staying in touch with her friends. I said if that was the case I was not going to have certain people on there. I should just stick to my guns.

That seems reasonable. Make sure your picture is of both of you.

Originally Posted by MrA
On Email I told her exactly what someone suggested earlier. New email and I would control old one in case any pertinent (banks etc.) stuff needed to be updated to new email that we forgot to notify. Phone - I know all passwords to online accts and everything. She claims all his #'s are blocked to all of our #'s. I said I still want to change it - safest way to protect our marriage.

Good steps.

Does she have her own computer at the house? Internet access as well?

We're all pulling for you, you know.

We share a laptop. she has a work laptop that stays at her work. nothing I can do there to make us safe.

N
N
When she says you're "smothering" her, it's probably because you're making her feel guilty about something that she's either thinking about doing, trying to do, or already did. Your radar should go up if you hear that. Hope that made sense.

Since these trips are far off in the future, I'd worry about it then. What's the saying--Don't go looking for something to worry about. Something like that. Right now, she's probably too foggy to even consider a rational discussion about POJA or anything like that. But if she's serious about making this marriage work, you'll get there.

I wish she were not reading your posts, but I'd be more concerned about making sure and verifying that NC sticks and that you guys get 20+ hours a week of UA time in.

Me (BH)
FWW

M
M
"
Originally Posted by MrA
Originally Posted by MrA

Struggling and feeling worthless about what? About screwing up her marriage and hurting you or just getting caught and mak
ing an [censored] of herself. There's a big difference there, and if she hasn't said otherwise, I'd bet it's the latter.

Has said it about both. Still thinks I shouldn't have told EVERYBODY.

Originally Posted by MrA

I was going to but she was in the car and wouldn't tell me where she was. She came back down after some talking about how she is still focusing about the exposure and not the rebuilding process like our Pastor advised us on Tuesday.

Originally Posted by MrA

No. I have told her it was embarrassing to me too. Having people know I sat around 6mos doing nothing to stop it other than pleading with her.

Last contact (that I know of) = Monday just prior to her experience in the woods where God spoke to her. He sent one email yesterday which I explained earlier. She said she deleted without opening which I know can be then set to marked "unread". So I don't have 100% certainty she didn't reply. He did send ME a copy of her claimed last email telling him to stop contacting her as she was going to kill herself.

She did send out the letter to about 20 or so people she could verify got my exposure letter. There has been some positive responses from people (supporting her and about getting back to God and inspiring them to look at their relationship with Christ)and some have expressed concern (to me) about making sure she sees someone for depression. She is going to a Christian based therapist tmo.

I just was talking to her about FB, email and telephone and a NO CONTACT letter. She is afraid OM might do something crazy if he got a letter and she wanted to run that past our Pastor. I said "I don't care, I am not afraid of him and if I needed to I could have an army on his doorstep" I also told her she should CC: Sheriffs Dept. Not sure what your feelings are on this?

As far as FB goes I said I don't want her having one which she said "can we do one together?" as she likes staying in touch with her friends. I said if that was the case I was not going to have certain people on there. I should just stick to my guns. On Email I told her exactly what someone suggested earlier. New email and I would control old one in case any pertinent (banks etc.) stuff needed to be updated to new email that we forgot to notify. Phone - I know all passwords to online accts and everything. She claims all his #'s are blocked to all of our #'s. I said I still want to change it - safest way to protect our marriage.

DD11 then got into car and we had to stop the conversation. To stick to ML advice I still need to cover "poly" and getting in program to rebuild marriage.

MA, sounds like you are doing great! I would stick to your guns and let her know the NC letter is not negotiable, so it is not relevant what your pastor thinks, but what you think.

And stick to your guns about changing her phone #. Again not negotiable.

If I were you I would not agree to the scrapbooking weekend because that will be squandering valuable time that should be devoted to your marriage. Maybe find a sitter and go somewhere for a romantic weekend instead.

The problem with being on Facebook at all is that she can still look up the OM, which will keep her foggy. It really is not worth it. If she wants to keep up with friends she can do that via email.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

I
I
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
If I were you I would not agree to the scrapbooking weekend because that will be squandering valuable time that should be devoted to your marriage. Maybe find a sitter and go somewhere for a romantic weekend instead.

Yes, if you are doing the MB recovery programme there wont be enough time for her to spend a weekend away from you. Its something like 30 hours scheduled UA time for affair recovery. Plus if she has the time/money for a trip it should be with you to get those ENs met.

Be one of those crazy about each other old fashioned couples who never spent a night apart. Plus you do need this to feel safe. People who have separate trips have separate lives, drift from each other and it is too easy to hide any As which begin.

Originally Posted by MrA
Nothing planned now...just getting to far in front of myself. I will reserve this question for when the time comes.

Start as you mean to go on. Make 'no overnight trips away from each other' part of the EPs she has to agree to. She needs to show from the start she is serious about being with you, making you feel safe and in spending the time with you working towards recovery. She needs to show you that you come first, before friends, before anything.

You have made an impressive, non-negotiable show of strength and I can see from some of her comments she is already showing you more respect.

So build on that and make sure the offer of staying in the marraige is a tall order. Make it a high bar that only someone genuine and repentant could jump. You dont want a false recovery.

Insist on all your requirements being met, including the poly.

Dont make the mistake of getting her to agree with 'some' things to encourage her on board and then drip feed her the rest as and when you feel shes is being agreeable.

Give her the EPs in a lump sum and insist that is what you need to stay in the marriage. Its a really important litmus test of her sincerity - and it gives her a realistic view of what she will need to do in recovery.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

G
G
Originally Posted by MrA
What are your thoughts when she wants to do a scrap-book weekend with her girlfriends? They usually do these once a year (maybe) in different cities and they stay together 2 or 3 to a room to save $. Is that unreasonable?
Mr. A., I am not making up the following:
Honest-to-God: My OW once told me that she might use "scrapbooking" as a possible alibi-story to feed her husband... she even talked about doing some scrapbook work secretly in advance, so that she would have some "product" to come home with, to back up her alibi for the evening out.

Call me jaded, but the idea sounds like pure horse[bleep] to me. My answer to her would be, "NFW, Honey." Instead, ask her to invite the girls to your town, and they can spend the time at your house.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
Page 23 of 26 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 731 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation