Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19
M
M
OM is supposed divorcing 1000 miles away and has a 10 year old he's not likely to move a 1000 miles away from. Conversely, your wife isn't moving a 1000 miles away from her kids either....so they have a doomed relationship and they know it. Thus they continue their fantasy in day to day mode. She knows it has to end....just not when. Heck...if she was separated she could just keep this going (by email, skype and phone) indefinitely.

It's time to start bringing less carrot (still bringing some) and more stick. So what if she says she'll move out if you demand she go "no contact" with OM. The cage door is certainly open. I doubt she'll follow through (she's just hoping the threat buys her a few more days/weeks and it's working for her, isn't it?). Actually moving out takes time AND money. By that time you'll be ready for Plan B anyway.

The road to intimacy is paved with conflict. While demonstrating your changes you're also going to have to man up a bit and fight this affair more aggressively. Continuing listening however, don't actually believe any of that "maybe I just don't want to be married anymore or ever again" crap. It's all fog talk. Once the affair is busted up and she's through a few weeks of withdrawal...all those "feelings" she's experiencing will disappear. Ignore fog talk, Learn to fog respond to her and just keep her talking (meeting the need for communication, admiration if you can and keeping her mind and time off of OM).

When she says: I need space, you say, I'll clear you some space in the garage or in the basement, but I'm not going to support you moving out.

Mr. W

p.s. - I was in a similar, OM 500 miles away and an old high school/college boyfriend. My MIL called OM (she knew OM and his parents) and she basically threatened him and made him dump my wife. Perhaps your inlaws will take more direct involvement and send an email or call OM making sure he knows he's not welcome in their family or around their grandchildren. After OM dumped her she wanted to travel to see if she could save it...I just said "NO" and left it at that. You can say "no" without explanation.

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
M
M
Originally Posted by shortsleeves
We are still in an in- house separation.

You are not separated if you live in the same house. "in house separation" is an oxymoron. If she really wants to be "separated" she should leave but this is not a separation. And even so, separated still means MARRIED.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
I talked with WW about if she was able to NC with OM and she said that she would move out if I demanded that.

SS, I would also demand that she end contact with the OM NOW. Demand it. Her threat to move out is an idle threat to scare you from making such a demand. And if she did move out, which they never do, you would be in a much better position legally. If she threatens to leave, let her leave, but don't allow her to take the kids. But it will take a DEMAND to get her to do it.

I would paint a very ugly picture of how divorce will look for her. This will give her second thoughts because she is under the impression now that you will roll over without complaint. This feeds her fantasy of replacing you with the OM with ease. I assure you this is her plan. Tell her if this goes to divorce you will be filing for primary custody on grounds of adultery and taking full possession of the house. Even in no-fault states they do take adultery into consideration because it speaks to their fitness. Tell her oyu will be having the OM subpoenaed to testify about the affair along with his wife.

But I would get ahold of his wife ASAP and have a discussion with her. "Getting divorced" = MARRIED. He is a married man.

"Granted, there are situations when demands may be necessary in marriage. During a spouse's affair, for example, I recommend that the betrayed spouse demand there be no contact with the lover. If there is continued contact, separation or even divorce would be the logical consequence. While normally demands don't work, in this case there are no reasonable alternatives because thoughtful requests are even less likely to separate lovers."
Dr. Harley Effective Marriage Counseling pg 94

^^^^ AGREE

and when you make this demand...be prepared to be the first one at the bank the next morning moving all or most (at least 3/4 ...1/4 for each member of your family not your wife) of the families joint monies into an individual account for protection. Also be prepared to cancel all joint credit cards. Be ready to play hardball and cut off her financial ability to stay in contact with OM. Remember what I said above...they are a 1000 miles away from each other and both have small children. They KNOW it has to end but just want ONE MORE DAY...like any addict...you have to up the cost of ONE MORE DAY to the point they are finally ready (or have to) quit.

How "supportive" are your in-laws? You may want to have one of them on standby after you confront her and demand "no contact" NOW as support for you and your family that can help her process that ....YES, today it's over....why not end it TODAY.

W

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
T
T
SS,

Listen to the Vets....they know what they are talking about. They helped me.

We are all here for you. Demand the NC, snoop and snoop some more, I bet you will find more land mines. It is going to get tough, the ride you are on is not a fun one. Check back here often with updates and for encouragement. You can start to save your marriage.

Expose and Demand NC...... Without those two, you are swimming upstream.

Me (BH): 42
Her (WS): 39
Married 19 yrs
DD: 16, DD: 11, DD: 7
D-Day: 7-5-2011, Caught searching 10-15-2012
S
OP Offline
S
I was just thinking it was important to have some form of communication with the outside world should an emergency arise. If I get rid of the phone/internet/cell phone, I am not sure I would feel right with small kids at home and no way to call the fire dept. I am now seeing that I need to take more action on that. I also just figured that WW would just pick up a cell phone for herself if I eliminated the land line and the pay as you go phone. WW has savings for a phone if she needs one.

me BS 38
WS 36
DS 5
DD 3
D-day 8/16/11
Begin plan A 9/22/11
S
OP Offline
S
Funny you say that the counselor will suggest WW to find herself or follow her dream. I think the phrase our MC used was that WW needed to do some "soul searching".

I was just acknowledging that I am not a perfect husband and I did make some mistakes. Yes, that does in no way justify what WW has done/said to me.

me BS 38
WS 36
DS 5
DD 3
D-day 8/16/11
Begin plan A 9/22/11
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by MrWondering
OM is supposed divorcing 1000 miles away and has a 10 year old he's not likely to move a 1000 miles away from. Conversely, your wife isn't moving a 1000 miles away from her kids either....so they have a doomed relationship and they know it. Thus they continue their fantasy in day to day mode. She knows it has to end....just not when. Heck...if she was separated she could just keep this going (by email, skype and phone) indefinitely.

Yes, I do see the facts. OM is 1000 miles away and has a "family". Not exactly the best conditions to have a relationship. This is a fantasy. I am also thinking about the fact that I may not be seen as second in line behind OM. What I am getting at is WW has a less than desirable image of being with me. If I kill the A before I am able to set the stage with a full on plan A wouldn't I be setting WW up for the next guy that is local and is not married? I just thought it would be a good idea to have the plan A soak in for a while before I started pushing hard from my side.

It's time to start bringing less carrot (still bringing some) and more stick. So what if she says she'll move out if you demand she go "no contact" with OM. The cage door is certainly open. I doubt she'll follow through (she's just hoping the threat buys her a few more days/weeks and it's working for her, isn't it?). Actually moving out takes time AND money. By that time you'll be ready for Plan B anyway.

She is able to fund moving out today if she had to. Money is not holding her back unfortunately.

The road to intimacy is paved with conflict. While demonstrating your changes you're also going to have to man up a bit and fight this affair more aggressively. Continuing listening however, don't actually believe any of that "maybe I just don't want to be married anymore or ever again" crap. It's all fog talk. Once the affair is busted up and she's through a few weeks of withdrawal...all those "feelings" she's experiencing will disappear. Ignore fog talk, Learn to fog respond her and just keep her talking (meeting the need for communication, admiration if you can and keeping her mind and time off of OM).

When she says: I need space, you say, I'll clear you some space in the garage or in the basement, but I'm not going to support you moving out.

Mr. W

p.s. - I was in a similar, OM 500 miles away and an old high school/college boyfriend. My MIL called OM (she knew OM and his parents) and she basically threatened him and made him dump my wife. Perhaps your inlaws will take more direct involvement and send an email or call OM making sure he knows he's not welcome in their family or around their grandchildren. After OM dumped her she wanted to travel to see if she could save it...I just said "NO" and left it at that. You can say "no" without explanation.

I have exposed the A to my in-laws and they are behind me 100%. When they first learned about things my FIL was ready to dis-own WW. They have already made an appointment to have their will re-written. I can ask them if they would be up to a chat with this OM.

On a side note, does it make any sense for me to contact OM? Is he going to even listen to me? I didn't really think that it would be much use.

me BS 38
WS 36
DS 5
DD 3
D-day 8/16/11
Begin plan A 9/22/11
S
OP Offline
S
I think I screwed up that last post. I put some comments in the middle of Mr. W's message. Like I said today was the first time I have ever posted on a news group. I am learning.

There is a special place in heaven for you people. I can not believe the response I have gotten. I can't keep up with all of you. Keep it coming!!!

Thank you.

me BS 38
WS 36
DS 5
DD 3
D-day 8/16/11
Begin plan A 9/22/11
M
M
Did you read my posts?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
OM has been in the "process of divorce" for 3 years. I am told that they have now filed and waiting for a court date. OMW knows about A and actually called WW about 6 weeks ago. WW gave just answered the questions.

Hi Mr SS, welcome to Marriage Builders. This is where I would start. I would call the OM's wife TODAY and tell her all about the affair. That should be done without forewarning your wife. It sounds like your wife and the OM have been gaslighting her.

Exposure 101

M
M
I talked with WW about if she was able to NC with OM and she said that she would move out if I demanded that.

SS, I would also demand that she end contact with the OM NOW. Demand it. Her threat to move out is an idle threat to scare you from making such a demand. And if she did move out, which they never do, you would be in a much better position legally. If she threatens to leave, let her leave, but don't allow her to take the kids. But it will take a DEMAND to get her to do it.

I would paint a very ugly picture of how divorce will look for her. This will give her second thoughts because she is under the impression now that you will roll over without complaint. This feeds her fantasy of replacing you with the OM with ease. I assure you this is her plan. Tell her if this goes to divorce you will be filing for primary custody on grounds of adultery and taking full possession of the house. Even in no-fault states they do take adultery into consideration because it speaks to their fitness. Tell her oyu will be having the OM subpoenaed to testify about the affair along with his wife.

But I would get ahold of his wife ASAP and have a discussion with her. "Getting divorced" = MARRIED. He is a married man.

"Granted, there are situations when demands may be necessary in marriage. During a spouse's affair, for example, I recommend that the betrayed spouse demand there be no contact with the lover. If there is continued contact, separation or even divorce would be the logical consequence. While normally demands don't work, in this case there are no reasonable alternatives because thoughtful requests are even less likely to separate lovers."

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep
SS,

We are all here for you. Demand the NC, snoop and snoop some more, I bet you will find more land mines. It is going to get tough, the ride you are on is not a fun one. Check back here often with updates and for encouragement. You can start to save your marriage.

The whole snoop thing. I feel like I got burned when she found out I got into her email back in August. Yes, I did find out information that was being withheld but it cost me a great deal of her trust. If I am supposed to be the shining light of pure goodness or whatever you want to call it, wouldn't snooping (and getting caught) just put me in the same category of WW? I know Dr. H's views on snooping. It just feels so wrong to me. The other thing is you might find things like the inquiry into a risque super sexy professional photo shoot at a studio nearby that comes with a black leather book to give as a gift. I don't expect to see a copy under the tree with my name on it. Now I just have to try to erase the thought of her wanting to do something like that for the OM.

me BS 38
WS 36
DS 5
DD 3
D-day 8/16/11
Begin plan A 9/22/11
M
M
SS, it is not rational thinking to believe that snooping is untrustworthy behavior. It I untrustworthy to lie and commit adultery, it is not untrustworthy to CATCH someone lying and cheating. No married person has the right to the privacy to hide things from her spouse. You have a right to know everything she does because everything she does affects you.

Are you ignoring my posts?

Exposure 101

C
C
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep
SS,

The whole snoop thing. I feel like I got burned when she found out I got into her email back in August. Yes, I did find out information that was being withheld but it cost me a great deal of her trust. If I am supposed to be the shining light of pure goodness or whatever you want to call it, wouldn't snooping (and getting caught) just put me in the same category of WW? I know Dr. H's views on snooping. It just feels so wrong to me. The other thing is you might find things like the inquiry into a risque super sexy professional photo shoot at a studio nearby that comes with a black leather book to give as a gift. I don't expect to see a copy under the tree with my name on it. Now I just have to try to erase the thought of her wanting to do something like that for the OM.

Think of it in terms of espionage. Spying on your neighbor is wrong. You wouldn't peep through their windows, bug their phones, keep track of where they go for any good reason. Spying on a country that is detrimental to another country's well being is not wrong. It provides security for the country, ensures that you are protected and prepared.

Right now your spouse is acting as a double agent. She is pretending to be in your marriage, but is in fact playing for the other team. She is an agent of harm to your marriage and the less information you collect on this is potentially marriage shattering. Finding out and exposing helps neutralize the threat to your marriage.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
C
C
Originally Posted by celticvoyager

Think of it in terms of espionage. Spying on your neighbor is wrong. You wouldn't peep through their windows, bug their phones, keep track of where they go for any good reason. Spying on a country that is detrimental to another country's well being is not wrong. It provides security for the country, ensures that you are protected and prepared.

Right now your spouse is acting as a double agent. She is pretending to be in your marriage, but is in fact playing for the other team. She is an agent of harm to your marriage and the less information you collect on this is potentially marriage shattering. Finding out and exposing helps neutralize the threat to your marriage. [/quote]

[/quote]

Another thing to consider is this. You took vows based on your love for her. To protect her. Sometimes that means to protect her from herself. This is part of protecting her. So what if she caught you snooping in her email in August. She is in trouble and doesn't even know it. What is wrong is knowing that she is destroying your family and doing nothing.

Last edited by celticvoyager; 10/23/11 03:08 PM.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
S
OP Offline
S

I agree with you. WW does have a happy image in her head of life after separation. I will paint a more realistic picture for her. Part of the problem for WW is her first M ended very quickly and amicably. Very easy on WW. They were in agreement, they both wanted out, and there were no kids involved. I am thinking that WW is using that as a frame of reference for this separation. The house is in my sole name so that shouldn't be an issue. I like what you say about the whole primary custody thing as well. I don't like the idea of using the kids as leverage but they are a very powerful influence on parents. I do feel like that my WW is someone who if they feel like they are getting cornered, they will react very strongly which scares me. WW is a very capable woman. We are getting along now but you are right, the A continues.

me BS 38
WS 36
DS 5
DD 3
D-day 8/16/11
Begin plan A 9/22/11
S
OP Offline
S
ML,

I am reading every word you write. I am honored that you are responding to my problem. Thank you!

I agree. There is a big difference between privacy and secrets. I try to honor people's privacy but secrets between spouses is a different animal all together.

me BS 38
WS 36
DS 5
DD 3
D-day 8/16/11
Begin plan A 9/22/11
P
P
The whole snoop thing. I feel like I got burned when she found out I got into her email back in August. Yes, I did find out information that was being withheld but it cost me a great deal of her trust.

Puhleeeze!

If I am supposed to be the shining light of pure goodness or whatever you want to call it

Puhleeeze!

wouldn't snooping (and getting caught) just put me in the same category of WW?

Gathering accurate facts and data on the state of your marriage is in the SAME category as CHEATING/LYING/SCREWING AROUND ?????

Really?
On what planet?

I know Dr. H's views on snooping. It just feels so wrong to me.

It's like checking the math on your phone bill for accuracy.
It's NOT snooping.
It is fact-checking and getting accurate truthful data when you KNOW your spouse is lying to cover up their wrong deeds.

The other thing is you might find things like the inquiry into a risque super sexy professional photo shoot at a studio nearby that comes with a black leather book to give as a gift. I don't expect to see a copy under the tree with my name on it. Now I just have to try to erase the thought of her wanting to do something like that for the OM.

skeptical

Mods. here I come.

S
OP Offline
S

Right now your spouse is acting as a double agent. She is pretending to be in your marriage, but is in fact playing for the other team. She is an agent of harm to your marriage and the less information you collect on this is potentially marriage shattering. Finding out and exposing helps neutralize the threat to your marriage.

[/quote]

Another thing to consider is this. You took vows based on your love for her. To protect her. Sometimes that means to protect her from herself. This is part of protecting her. So what if she caught you snooping in her email in August. She is in trouble and doesn't even know it. What is wrong is knowing that she is destroying your family and doing nothing. [/quote]

I love analogies and I think yours is spot on. That makes sense to me. You are right, who better to step in and save her from herself than me?

me BS 38
WS 36
DS 5
DD 3
D-day 8/16/11
Begin plan A 9/22/11
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Pepperband
The whole snoop thing. I feel like I got burned when she found out I got into her email back in August. Yes, I did find out information that was being withheld but it cost me a great deal of her trust.

Puhleeeze!

If I am supposed to be the shining light of pure goodness or whatever you want to call it

Puhleeeze!

wouldn't snooping (and getting caught) just put me in the same category of WW?

Gathering accurate facts and data on the state of your marriage is in the SAME category as CHEATING/LYING/SCREWING AROUND ?????

Really?
On what planet?

I know Dr. H's views on snooping. It just feels so wrong to me.

It's like checking the math on your phone bill for accuracy.
It's NOT snooping.
It is fact-checking and getting accurate truthful data when you KNOW your spouse is lying to cover up their wrong deeds.

The other thing is you might find things like the inquiry into a risque super sexy professional photo shoot at a studio nearby that comes with a black leather book to give as a gift. I don't expect to see a copy under the tree with my name on it. Now I just have to try to erase the thought of her wanting to do something like that for the OM.

skeptical

Mods. here I come.

I am hearing you all now. I guess I was in my own fog. This is exactly the kind of sanity check I was looking for. Thank you.

me BS 38
WS 36
DS 5
DD 3
D-day 8/16/11
Begin plan A 9/22/11
Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 258 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker
71,841 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation