Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 35 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 34 35
S
Schlag Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Justlooking24
Schlag,
Do you realize that the EP's really have nothing specific to do with your current wife? These are things you are going to need to do regardless if your marriage survives or not.

I think you are doing and saying these things to get your wife back and I believe thats the wrong justification.

Right now you need to concentrate on becoming the Christian man you were designed to be regardless of how your wife reacts.

If I wasn't with my wife I would have no need for a computer keylogger or to have a phone without internet or to go to bed with her and not stay up. I understand I would need certain boundaries with women but if she divorces me some of those boundaries would not be needed any more...

Schlag #2558083 10/26/11 09:54 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by Schlag
[quote=Justlooking24]
If I wasn't with my wife I would have no need for a computer keylogger or to have a phone without internet or to go to bed with her and not stay up. I understand I would need certain boundaries with women but if she divorces me some of those boundaries would not be needed any more...

true but there are what...20-something others that you can follow for you.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
I
I
You still have a resposibility to try and heal her pain even if she does not give you what you want in the end. It isnt about you. Right now she is struggling to breathe for the pain you have inflicted.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

Schlag #2558143 10/27/11 06:50 AM
M
M
Right now my wife hates me and doesn't have any interest in EPs.

Well, the decision of staying or leaving this marriage is really hers and hers only right now.

If you read EPs thread carefully it said:

You cannot expect enthusiasm from your BS for this list of EP�s.
You cannot expect a pat on the back from them, but I think you already know that.
You do this step anyways!

I read your list of EPs and I would like you to consider a few things:

11. I will be 100% accountable with my time

Think through really well how you will do that, if possible ask your wife HOW would she like you to be fully accountable. Right now, when she doesn't want you around let alone discuss your EPs, you have to make up the full accountability HOWs by yourself. Your W's anxiety level will stay really high for a long time, so you need to think through every single step how you can ease her anxiety by providing the care she needs.

23. If any former contact finds a way to make contact, I will immediately end the contact and notify you

What will you do to avoid such holes? Change your phone number, block all their numbers and e-mail accounts known to you in every single computer/phone you have in use right now. You will not WAIT the contact to happen but you will be proactive about that.

You have said in your list that you will make sure to spend 15 hrs of undivided attention with each other to meet each other's ENs.

Marriages in trouble need much more, this 15 hrs is for maintaining romantic love, for CREATING one, it takes 20+ hrs. And as you have damaged your W greatly, then you cannot expect her to meet your ENs right now, in fact for a while.

Nothing happens overnight, it took you many years to mess things up, it will take many years to make it right.

Me, FWW: 43
Mr_Recon6mo, FWH: 44
DD20 and DS23
3 cats
Married 23 years, together 24
Divorcing

Schlag #2558169 10/27/11 08:36 AM
J
J
If I wasn't with my wife I would have no need for a computer keylogger or to have a phone without internet

Actually you will still have the need. You have shown that you are vulnerable when on the internet and you use the phone inappropriately. That won't change if your marriage doesn't survive. An alcoholic doesn't stop being an alcoholic when the booze is taken away.

Again your answer proved to me that you are doing these EP's for the wrong reason. They are for you. They are boundaries that you are erecting to stop yourself from doing bad things to other people (including your wife).

BH: 46
FWW: 44
3 DD: 20,17,11
Married 24 years
PA/EA: 5/08
DDay: 6/08
NC: 8/08
Previous EA 1998 confessed 8/08
In Recovery
W
W
Hmmm, you do know that any other relationship you get into, you would still need to take precautions as the same conditions that led you to your previous affairs would still be present if you do not take EP'S.

I tried to fix things with my stbx and it did not work. But I will take what I have learned to ensure that any relationship I get into in the future, I do not repeat my mistakes and will follow the EP's I gave to my stbx and keep the new boundaries I have developed. The boundaries are your limitations to protect yourself, your spouse and your relationship.

Yes, it does take a lot of work to fix this whole mess you created on your own. But you have hurt your wife more than you'll ever know (if you are lucky you will never experience it). Show some care and respect for her, she is hurting and you two have a baby who is still being breastfed. It is not all about you. That is what led you to the affairs.

You should know that if she decides to work on things, she is giving you an undeserving gift that no wayward ever deserves.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5042_qa.html

Read about just compensation and make sure to watch the infidelity video.

FWW?
no children
D-day Sept 2010
Divorced requested by BH Jan 2011
Separated Sept 2011
OW discovery Oct 2011
Divorced 2012
WW27 #2558220 10/27/11 10:12 AM
S
Schlag Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I've already watched the video and read the article on just compensation. I'm there already on my side of it. I have no desire to be involved with any of the women ever again and my wife has sent NC's to #6 and #7 via her facebook, and we will together send the NC to #5 tonight. We are working out how to implement EP's at the office and are already implementing EP's at home. I have already told her that I am committed to radical honesty and started demonstrating it to her. We haven't talked much about POJA yet but we'll do that in the near future. As far as the last part, emotional needs, she is not in a place to care about my emotional needs yet nor should she be. But I am doing my best to fill her emotional needs in any way that she will let me.

-Affection: is not really allowed, but I tell her that I love her and leave her a note every morning.
-Conversation: Most of our conversation is about what a sick f#$k I am, but I try to be there for as much conversation as she wants.
-Recreational Companionship: We're not dating but we still do stuff with the kids and go to church together.
-Honesty and Openness: Radical honesty and openness.
-Physical Attractiveness: Making diet and exercise a priority both for her EN and for my own health.
-Financial Support: nothing has changed
-Domestic Support: ramping this up even more in this difficult time for her
-Family Commitment: never wavered
-Admiration: It's hard for her to accept anything nice from me because she's so much better than me and thinks of me as pond scum right now - and who cares if pond scum says they're awesome right? But I'll keep trying.

Last edited by Schlag; 10/27/11 11:19 AM.
Schlag #2558240 10/27/11 10:41 AM
C
C
I've already watched the video and read the article on just compensation. I'm there already on my side of it. I have no desire to be involved with any of the women ever again and my wife has sent NC's to #5 and #7 via her facebook, and we will together send the NC to #6 tonight. We are working out how to implement EP's at the office and are already implementing EP's at home. I have already told her that I am committed to radical honesty and started demonstrating it to her. We haven't talked much about POJA yet but we'll do that in the near future. As far as the last part, emotional needs, she is not in a place to care about my emotional needs yet nor should she be. But I am doing my best to fill her emotional needs in any way that she will let me.

-Affection: is not really allowed, but I tell her that I love her and leave her a note every morning.
-Conversation: Most of our conversation is about what a sick f#$k I am, but I try to be there for as much conversation as she wants.
-Recreational Companionship: We're not dating but we still do stuff with the kids and go to church together.
-Honesty and Openness: Radical honesty and openness.
-Physical Attractiveness: Making diet and exercise a priority both for her EN and for my own health.
-Financial Support: nothing has changed
-Domestic Support: ramping this up even more in this difficult time for her
-Family Commitment: never wavered
-Admiration: It's hard for her to accept anything nice from me because she's so much better than me and thinks of me as pond scum right now - and who cares if pond scum says they're awesome right? But I'll keep trying.

Think waaaay back... Back to when you dated. What did you do when you started dating? Buy her flowers? Cards? surprise dinners? start there.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
S
Schlag Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by celticvoyager
Think waaaay back... Back to when you dated. What did you do when you started dating? Buy her flowers? Cards? surprise dinners? start there.

I never stopped that! well, in the context of having 4 kids it slowed down but I never stopped doing that kind of stuff.

Obviously it's hard to do now because she takes it as me sucking up and rejects it.

Schlag #2558282 10/27/11 11:58 AM
L
L
I can understand if you did these things at the same time as having the affairs. It does not have the same impact since it was not special anymore to her. I dont know if I explained that right but it might even be a trigger for her. She knew you did these things when your love was split between her and someone else. She may even be thinking in her mind you might have originally bought them for someone else and the meeting fell through and you brought them home as a 2nd best.

You may not have done that but her mind is going to come up with the worst case right now on everything.

She may need something you have never done before but she would feel the impact.

Guys, help me brainstorm here.

Last edited by LuvsDavid; 10/27/11 11:59 AM.

Me -BS 40
Him - FWH 34 (dtl)
3 D-Days from 12/25/10 to 01/06/11
NC - 01/09/11
02/20/12 done beating my head on that wall.
C
C
Originally Posted by LuvsDavid
I can understand if you did these things at the same time as having the affairs. It does not have the same impact since it was not special anymore to her. I dont know if I explained that right but it might even be a trigger for her. She knew you did these things when your love was split between her and someone else. She may even be thinking in her mind you might have originally bought them for someone else and the meeting fell through and you brought them home as a 2nd best.

You may not have done that but her mind is going to come up with the worst case right now on everything.

She may need something you have never done before but she would feel the impact.

Guys, help me brainstorm here.

I'm trying!!

arrange for a sitter and go on a picnic, walk in the park, see a movie. Don't just bring her a single rose, or even a dozen, bring her a dozen tulips (or whatever she likes). Make a date of going for massages (make sure you get a dude doing yours, no triggers!). Baby her like you've never done. Do something she likes... Heck I dunno... paint her toenails or something.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
Schlag #2558294 10/27/11 12:49 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by celticvoyager

I never stopped that! well, in the context of having 4 kids it slowed down but I never stopped doing that kind of stuff.

Obviously it's hard to do now because she takes it as me sucking up and rejects it.

Keep doing it anyway.

Its takes time for her to be sure that you aren't just "sucking up".

Have you heard of the book "The Love Dare"? That may be something to look at.

Married 24 years
In Recovery
S
Schlag Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I don't think right now she's ready for me to be doing these things, honestly. We are only 12 days post D-day and she changed the separation papers to dissolution 2 nights ago.

She's very angry at me and she's getting the detailed anti-trickle letter tonight or tomorrow night.

I've done the love dare after the first incomplete D-day in 9/2009 so she will probably hate me if I try to do it again.

Schlag #2558510 10/28/11 04:53 AM
M
M
Do not stop now, that will send her the message that you don't care after all. She is in pain, shocked, angry, feels hopeless and is also probably very tired also, you need to be there for her, make her life as comfortable as possible, help her in any ways you can, this is not you time right now. Please, don't run away when she is in pain.

Me, FWW: 43
Mr_Recon6mo, FWH: 44
DD20 and DS23
3 cats
Married 23 years, together 24
Divorcing

Schlag #2558670 10/28/11 12:43 PM
I
I
I don't think right now she's ready for me to be doing these things, honestly. We are only 12 days post D-day and she changed the separation papers to dissolution 2 nights ago.

She's very angry at me and she's getting the detailed anti-trickle letter tonight or tomorrow night.

I've done the love dare after the first incomplete D-day in 9/2009 so she will probably hate me if I try to do it again.

What are you saying Schlag? Do you want your betrayed wife to draw up a plan of action for you? Smile and invite you to take part? Be realistic. Your actions have assaulted her. She is bleeding on the floor, unconscious and you are asking her if she wants an ambuance.

Even if the ambulance IS too late - you dont want to be the guy who didnt even TRY to help her do you?

As betrayed wife I can tell you. There is a point where it may be too late. But your showing love and dedication, MAY save your marriage and even if it is too late, it will heal some of her pain. Plus you will know you did all you could to save your marriage and your children will know too.

Schlag #2558672 10/28/11 12:51 PM
I
I
You guys that are saying I love myself are WAY off.

I despise myself and I have for years.

I keep coming back to this one mentally. You do understand that it was always - and still is - in your control to change anything about yourself that you dont like.

You wouldnt stand around moping about a feature on your house you despised would you? You would get the tools out and get to fixing it.

The EPs are your tools and the hurt you have perpetrated on your wife is the despicable feature you want to remove.

By getting to work, you will show yourself and others what you are made of, whatever happens.

It's just so awful that two years ago I blew my chance to fix things because I didn't have the help I needed here. I didn't institute radical truth or joint agreement - I half-assed some EP's but they were basically meaningless and now she feels that I already had my chance to fix it when I never really had the chance. #7 wouldn't have happened if I had done things right. We'd be two years into recovery and exploring how to meet each other's EN's instead of living this hell.

I just feel so lost. I am consumed with regret.

The chance two years ago is gone, but todays chance is here. You have help. Are you gong to seize the challenge or throw a pity party?

Your decision.

Schlag #2558829 10/28/11 05:37 PM
J
J

Did you see the movie Fireproof?

Who benefited most from the "Love Dare"?

Married 24 years
In Recovery
K
K
EPs are never meaningless.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
S
Schlag Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Justlooking24
Did you see the movie Fireproof?

Who benefited most from the "Love Dare"?
Yes we saw it together before 9/2009.

I think I benefited the most.

Originally Posted by karmasrose
EPs are never meaningless.

Apparently putting a keylogger on my computer is meaningless because my wife says I can just look up how to get around it.

Schlag #2558983 10/29/11 08:45 AM
N
N
Sir, you are beginning to royally PI$$ ME OFF ! mad (Imagine that - NG getting riled!)

"I can't do the love dare, because I failed at it last time, and BW knows that!"
"It's useless to put a keylogger on my computer because BW knows I can neuter it!"

Okay, pal, do this: Have BW put a password on your hard-drive and your operating system, so she has to give you access, and only when she's available to observe your sorry butt using it.

Go ahead - give us the excuse du jour why this won't work!

Page 7 of 35 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 34 35

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 597 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation