Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2530956 07/26/11 11:21 AM
F
OP Offline
F
I just read two good books that I'd like to recommend. One is Not Just Friends by Shirley Glass, and the other is How to Help Your Spouse Heal From Your Affair by Linda McDonald. Both are consistent with the MB philosophy.

Not Just Friends covers all aspects of infidelity and healing. How to Help Your Spouse is a compact manual (just 97 pages) that you can put into the hands of a WS to give him/her concrete, step-by-step instructions on what to do for a spouse if the WS is truly committed to recovering the marriage.

Both are available on Amazon.

Last edited by BerlinMB; 07/26/11 11:50 AM. Reason: Thread moved to more appropriate forum to discuss other books

Me: BW,56
Him: WH,57
DD#1 25 yrs ago
DD#2 7 yrs ago
DD#3 May 12
freefall #2531053 07/26/11 03:44 PM
H
H
I am interested in picking up Sex at Dawn.

We all know that we are "wired for affairs," and parts of this book explore that from several disciplinary angles.

Though, I am concerned about the fact that people who bought this book followed it with a lot of head lice medicine...

Hmmmm...

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
HoldHerHand #2531071 07/26/11 04:43 PM
C
C
I thought this thread was going to be about novels. Anyway, I recommend Greg Iles and Wally Lamb if you like to read and haven't read them yet.

Carry on.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2531137 07/26/11 08:58 PM
K
K
Personally I recommend "War of the Worlds." See if you can find a nice OLD copy at least 20+ years old with that old book smell. smile

But I thought as CWMI, too. So carry on as well.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
karmasrose #2531144 07/26/11 09:19 PM
C
C
A Prayer for Owen Meany. Must read. Lisey's Story for linguists, NOT for typical King fans. Underground Man. Anything 19th century and Russian. smile

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2535358 08/13/11 09:29 PM
R
R
I stumbled at Barnes And Noble yesterday and the cover book caught my eye. It says Before Ever After. I started reading it last night and it's a pretty interesting book.

Rehana #2535362 08/13/11 09:58 PM
W
W
Been reading a lot of fiction lately, less relationship-oriented books, so....Current read - Imaginary Jesus, a freebie I picked up on my Kindle, which has been suprisingly interesting & entertaining. Finally got around to reading A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin - awesome! Love Diana Gabaldon and Melanie Rawn, but have read all their stuff and waiting for them to hurry up and write something else! If you like urban fantasy, Patricia Briggs and Kim Harrison are good.

FWW

"Snow and adolescence are the only problems that disappear if you ignore them long enough." ~ Earl Wilson
H
H
Reading The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower again. The first read-through I DEVOURED it. This time, savoring a little more.

On the buy list; 50 Great Myths in Popular Psychology: Shattering Widespread Misconceptions about Human Behavior

Among them? Full Moon Mania, an idea that is easily dismissed when looking at confirmation bias.

Read very little fiction... info nerd.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

HoldHerHand #2535717 08/15/11 07:12 PM
W
W
I really enjoyed the Dark Tower series. Been a while since I've read it, but I remember being a bit cheesed off at how King chose to end poor Roland's saga!

HHH, if you're an info nerd, how are you with stats? Ever read "Freakonomics"? I enjoyed that one - lots of fun, those spurious correlations! I have the follow up to that one but have yet to read it. Alas, I am a statistics geek.

FWW

"Snow and adolescence are the only problems that disappear if you ignore them long enough." ~ Earl Wilson
H
H
I wanna read that. I watched the movie for it! Aaaaaaaaand, they wrote a sequel!

Freakanomics is "Behavioral Economics" which is explained as the "what," whereas "Evolutionary Psychology" is supposed to be the "why."

A smattering of both, and you've got a great nerd-dish!

And yeah... the Dark Tower...

"We're sorry Mario... but your princess is in another castle..."

HoldHerHand #2535992 08/17/11 06:47 AM
R
R
I have read Freakonomics, Super Freakonomics, and watched the movie too. They're fun and interesting reads. Have you read The Logic of Life by Tim Hartford?
I also like Malcolm Gladwell's books, (Outliers, The Tipping Point and Blink are the ones I've got on the shelf in front of me).

I thought I had Sex at Dawn but I can't see it on my bookshelf. I do however have Mating in Captivity by Esther Perel and The Sex Diaries by Bettina Arndt. They're interesting enough. I am going to have to go to Amazon and look for the cover art of sex at dawn now to see if I do actually have it.

ETA: I do have Sex at Dawn, its just upstairs in my bedside cabinet rather than on the shelf with the others.

Last edited by Rosycheeks; 08/17/11 06:48 AM.

Me: 32
H: 35
Married 9 years, together 12.
Two little girls, 7 and 3.
Rosycheeks #2536067 08/17/11 10:12 AM
W
W
OK, now that I know there's a freakonomics movie, I went and found it on Netflix!!!

Haven't read those others, but I have seen some good reviews of Gladwell's books and been interested in picking them up sometime.

FWW

H
H

HoldHerHand #2562758 11/10/11 08:30 PM
S
S
I've read all the Gladwell books, and the Freakonomics series. I like em for fun reads!

I like Steven Pinker books, but you have to be ready to read long books about nerdy stuff. Brain and language and computer stuff, and how language came into being. He's a professor, so he likes to go off on tangents.

When I'm feeling the need for casual reading, I go for Ramachandran. He puts the fun in neurology. Yes, even the study of the eye and visual processing in the brain can be really fun, and neurologists can crack a mean joke.

But for FICTION???????? You absolutely cannot beat anything by Robert Crais. I am definitely having an emotional affair with Elvis Cole, Private Eye.

Lucky to be where I am, in a safe place to get marriage-related support.
Recovered.
Happy.
Most recent D-day Fall 2005
Our new marriage began that day. Not easily, but it did happen.
schoolbus #2562800 11/10/11 10:08 PM
K
K
I also HIGHLY RECOMMEND Terry Pratchett.

I'm only into the second book and I already love it.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
karmasrose #2563070 11/11/11 08:05 PM
R
R
been reading this series for many years now

the Wheel of Time series by Robert jordan who i am sorry to say passed away a few years ago but jordans wife comissioned another author brandon sanderson to finish the series so far brandon sanderson has done an excellent job but he also had the complete outline of the last three books and all of robert jordans notes so its not like he has taken over with nothing to go on.

1.The Eye of the World (TEotW)
2.The Great Hunt (TGH)
3.The Dragon Reborn (TDR)
4.The Shadow Rising (TSR)
5.The Fires of Heaven (TFoH)
6.Lord of Chaos (LoC)
7.A Crown of Swords (ACoS)
8.The Path of Daggers (TPoD)
9.Winter's Heart (WH)
10.Crossroads of Twilight (CoT)
11.Knife of Dreams (KoD)
12.The Gathering Storm (TGS)
13.Towers of Midnight (ToM)
14.A Memory of Light (AMoL) due out sometime in 2012

im big into fantasy and scifi books always have been but by and far this is the best series ive read as far as characters and settings etc etc i would put this series up against the lord of the rings trilogy by tolkien.

male 43 years old
married 9 years (might not make it to 10 years)
3 kids 1 from previous marraige 2 from current marriage
karmasrose #2564038 11/14/11 10:46 PM
G
G
I completely echo Karmarose on Terry Pratchett. I found my first Discworld book 3 years ago. They gave me a safe place to be during the most painful time of my life (so far). I've read all of them and reread plenty of them. Also, these books are fine for young adults.

Currently, I'm reading two fun super-hero series. The better one is "Wearing the Cape" and the Villians,Inc series. Once again, this is something your impressionable teenage girl can read. The heroine waits (gasp) for marriage!
The second superhero series is called Charlotte Powers.

Non-fiction, I read Killing Lincholn, a page-turner, and Thomas Sowell. I just finished his Conflict of Visions, so I'm reading some light short essays. I'm going to hit Basic Economics next. The Freakonomics books got me interested in economics. Sowell is a good teacher.

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
Greengables #2564654 11/16/11 11:02 AM
C
C
Originally Posted by Greengables
Currently, I'm reading two fun super-hero series. The better one is "Wearing the Cape" and the Villians,Inc series. Once again, this is something your impressionable teenage girl can read. The heroine waits (gasp) for marriage!
The second superhero series is called Charlotte Powers.

Non-fiction, I read Killing Lincholn, a page-turner, and Thomas Sowell. I just finished his Conflict of Visions, so I'm reading some light short essays. I'm going to hit Basic Economics next. The Freakonomics books got me interested in economics. Sowell is a good teacher.

Super-heroes... Heh. Love reading spiderman and avengers and captain america comics... I think I'm addicted. It's how I learned to read.

On a serious reading note, I am starting a book called "The Irish Worthies" which is a collection of biographies on notable Irish preachers here in the states and in Ireland.

I am a book re-reader too. I'm finishing Geerhardus Vos' Biblical theology for the 3rd time and The Life and Mission of saint patrick for a paper I am writing on him, examining his view of the end times in light of the other church fathers...

Lordy I am boring.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation