Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 26 1 2 3 4 25 26
M
M
Originally Posted by Giraffe6
With the holidays coming what do you suggest? Is this something I should do over the holidays, now or after?

Now would be the perfect time because you can hope the affair will end before the holidays. She will have to face everyone at thanksgiving and answer for that if not! I would encourage your sons to call her up and persuade her to end her affair. Give them the OM's phone # too!

Another postive about exposing now is that she will be discouraged from leaving when her boys are coming for the holidays. How will it look if they all come home to Thanksgiving and she is off running with her sleazy OM?? The reality of doing that to her family will hit her HARD. And that is what you want.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
H
Oh, yes, having the kids call OM would be massive pressure to end it.

Understand that the hatred you fear will be directed at HIM. He will face the wrath of the children and it won�t be pretty.

M
M
I would personally make phone calls to her parents, your parents, your children and the OMW. Ask the family members to call her up and use their influence to persuade her to end her affair.

ON THE SAME DAY, send this email out to other family members and close friends:

Dear friends and family,

I am writing you this message because you are an important person in the lives of xxxx and I. As some of you know, xxxxx has recently asked me for a separation, which has shattered my heart. To my shock, I am saddened to have discovered that the reason is because she has been carrying on an affair with a old boyfriend named xxxxx xxxxx who resides in xxxxxx. He is also married and has young children . The purpose of the separation is so that she can carry on her affair without my interference.

She refuses to end the affair. I want our marriage to recover from this affair. If you have any influence on my babe, please do what you can to get her to stop this dangerous affair. I want to stay married, but the affair must end.

As our friends and family, I am asking that you use your influence with xxxx to persuade her to end her affair and try to work on our marriage. Our marriage can be salvaged if she would only end the affair. Please support her in doing the right thing. Please support our marriage.

I would so appreciate your support and prayers.

Warmest regards,

Send something like this to the OM's facebook contacts:

Dear friend of (OM)

It grieves me to write this letter but I believe all of his friends should know the kind of person he really is. Joe had an affair with my wife, Sally, from Aug until September. I believe that his friends should know this, so you can protect your marriage from him. My wife and I have 2 small daughters and this affair has almost wrecked our marriage.

I would be happy to provide the evidence to anyone who asks.

I would appreciate it if someone would notify his parents and ask them to call me at xxx-www-xxxx.

Thank you, BH

Dear friend of OW,

It grieves me to write this letter but I believe all of her friends should be aware that OW is having an affair with my husband, Joe. We have been married for 5 years. They have been having this affair since October according to the evidence.
I would be happy to provide the evidence to anyone who asks.

I would ask that you use your influence with OW to persuade her to leave my husband alone. You should also watch your own husbands around her because she is no friend to marriage.

I would appreciate it if someone would notify her parents and ask them to call me at xxx-www-xxxx.
Thank you, BW

Facebook exposure pointers

* Go to the OP's facebook page and copy and paste all his contacts into a WORD/text doc

* organize the contacts in order of priority starting with parents, family, married friends

* change your facebook photo to one of you, your spouse and your children

* send your letters via private message

* SPACE THE PM'S OUT 60 SECONDS APART SO YOU ARE NOT SHUT DOWN FOR FLOODING

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by helpthelostdads
Oh, yes, having the kids call OM would be massive pressure to end it.

I would also tell loserboy that there is no future in his affair because he will be ETERNALLY HATED BY YOUR KIDS AND THE IN-LAWS FOR BREAKING UP THEIR FAMILY.

Exposure 101

G
OP Offline
G
did either of you use this and if so, did it save your marriage?

Me: 46
Wife: 44
Married 24 years
Kids: 4
PA began about 2 years ago.
D-Day: August 2011
S
S
did either of you use this and if so, did it save your marriage?
Hi Giraffe,

I haven't posted to your thread before, but I used exposure and it ended the affair. What might yet save my marriage is our diligence in using the MB programme to eliminate marital programmes and build a new relationship. Exposing and ending the affair is the first step toward recovery.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
J
J
I agree with the exposure with everyone close to your wife and the OM's family as well......your children can be told, as long as you approach it with the intent of saving the marriage and the family......your boys will understand, I told mine when they were 20 and 22.........
I just made sure that I spoke to them a lot and opened up the door for any questions they had........
My boys worried about me and what would happen......it helped to reassure them.
Your sons may surprise you how much help they can be to you and your wife.....
Your wife and the OM will be angry so what you can survive that, you can't survive them staying together, what are you going to do help her pack her bags when she decides she is going to him for good?
Just tell her that you will do what ever you have to do to keep your marriage in tack and your family together, just keep saying it like a broken record......
Then you ask your wife to chose if she won't give up the OM then she needs to leave and she needs to get on with her life without her family........when you stop meeting her emotional needs she gets from you she will have to face the reality of her life...........
The sooner you do the exposure the sooner your life can get back to what you want it to be...........
I will tell you this, when my boys were told I think that is the thing that showed my husband what it was he would be giving up.........they barely spoke to him for months............it opened his eyes..............

BW 56
WH 57
Married 25 years, live together for 2, dated 2 years before that.....
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
Grateful for finding Marriage Builders
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks SugarCane!

This has been very welcomed advice. I agree but I admit I'm scare of the outcome, especially when it comes to the kids (ours and his). Sounds like your situation is similar to mine.... my wife has been in the affair for around 2 years and your situation was 3 years? We've been married for 24 years.... it just feels scary. I wonder if it will just push her away or how the OM will react. I also wonder how her family will do.... they may not be interested in taking part. I talked to her mom and she said she isn't the person to give relationship advice and we should just let her do what she needs to do.... keep in mind she doesn't know about the affair, just that my wife left and came back and now is thinking about leaving again.

Married 24 years
S
S
Thanks SugarCane!

This has been very welcomed advice. I agree but I admit I'm scare of the outcome, especially when it comes to the kids (ours and his). Sounds like your situation is similar to mine.... my wife has been in the affair for around 2 years and your situation was 3 years? We've been married for 24 years.... it just feels scary. I wonder if it will just push her away or how the OM will react. I also wonder how her family will do.... they may not be interested in taking part. I talked to her mom and she said she isn't the person to give relationship advice and we should just let her do what she needs to do.... keep in mind she doesn't know about the affair, just that my wife left and came back and now is thinking about leaving again.
I summarised my story two days ago for someone else, so I will just copy that post here:

Originally Posted by SugarCane
Mine is an exposure success story. I don't have it written down in a single thread, so it would take too long for you to search it. In a nutshell:

I traced OW in about 5 minutes of internet searching. She actually lives in a different country from me, and yet I had her full name, home address, occupation, husband's address and his email within a few minutes of using a search engine.

I tried to make my H stop the affair, but did not expose (because I had not found Marriage Builders) and the affair continued, hidden more carefully, for over a year after D Day.

After 16 months of false recoveries, My H changed job so that he no longer travelled, but the couple continued their EA by phone for 6 more months.

After 6 months of that, I found this forum and immediately exposed to OWH. The affair crumbled.

The EA was restarted after several months, when OW rang my H at work. They spoke on the phone about twice a year for the next two or three years. When I discovered this earlier this year, I re-exposed. Neither of the exposures broke up her marriage because, like most of us here, her H took the decision that 30 years of marriage was too much to throw away without trying to recover.

My H has now retired altogether and OW cannot contact him at work. She wouldn't dare contact him on my landline, and my H has no mobile phone. They are not in contact by internet as I have a key logger on the PC, and he does not know what a key logger is.

You have to

1. expose the affair to OWH. If OW and your H were planning to move in together, they would have done so by now. What is stopping her from leaving him? Only the fact that she does not want a life with your H. When this affair is revealed to her H, she will have to admit to herself and your H that she does not want to leave her marriage for him.

2. Change the environment that made the affair possible. Your H will have to change his job. I know you think that he cannot stop working, but he can, and he must. If you are give the straightforward choice between his keeping his job and the affair, or his giving up his job and giving your marriage a chance, which would you choose? I would have chosen unemployment over a broken marriage any day.

Also, do not be scared of OW or her H, for reasons of their ethnicity or anything else. She has committed a grievous harm against you and your son, and SHE needs to be scared of YOU. Raise holy hell about your marriage and her invasion of it, and let her and her husband know that her theft of what is yours has ended, as of today.

As far as I know, you live in a country where attacks on people for telling the truth about adultery are not tolerated. What, really, do you fear her husband will do to you?

On the other hand, your husband deserves whatever OWH does to HIM, but that's another discussion.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
G
OP Offline
G
Where do I find what all of the acrunyms are in your signatures? DH, WS, etc.... Some I can figure out but others I'm not sure what they mean smile

Married 24 years
S
S
To that post, I added:

Originally Posted by SugarCane
OW in my case made suicide threats to my H, as well as once ringing me begging me not to tell her H. I fully accepted the arguments that exposure was spiteful, and that it would backfire on me by driving my H and OW together, and that it was wicked and mean to break up another family merely to get vengeance for the fact that I couldn't keep my own husband faithful.

It took my coming to this forum and reading other people's sensible, logical arguments to realise that by keeping the affair secret from OWH, I was actually giving OW my blessing for her to continue having sex with my H.

I was protecting her marriage when what I should have been protecting was my own, and kids. How had I let my mamma bear instincts towards my two children, whom I would die for, get so weak and corrupted? I couldn't believe my own stupidity.

You are an intelligent woman, wife and mother. Protect what is yours.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
Where do I find what all of the acrunyms are in your signatures? DH, WS, etc.... Some I can figure out but others I'm not sure what they mean smile

Here:

Acronyms and abbreviations

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks jessitaylor!

Our kids are pretty much the same age.... 18, 20, 22 & 24. They haven't asked many questions but they assume mom just needs some time and space. They were confused, and they were very happy that she came back. They don't know she is thinking about leaving again and they don't know about the affair either. I don't like keeping it from them!

Married 24 years
G
OP Offline
G
we have a very close family but not a very open family! We're kind of strange like that smile So I am concerned how her family will respond to exposure, or even our kids. They will certainly be upset and probably won't have any problems showing that, but again, I just don't want to make them hate their Mom.

Married 24 years
S
S
we have a very close family but not a very open family! We're kind of strange like that smile So I am concerned how her family will respond to exposure, or even our kids. They will certainly be upset and probably won't have any problems showing that, but again, I just don't want to make them hate their Mom.
You want to stop them from showing their mother their very justified outrage and hurt at her betrayal?

You want to stop her from hearing and experiencing how they feel?

Why?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
H
H
G6,

You�re killing me. Quit making excuses and expose. Your kids won�t hate their mother because kids don�t hate their mothers!

Will they be angry? Absolutely.

But I can tell you as a kid who went through this at their age that the ultimate outcome your kids will want is to see an end to the affair and you and your wife back together.

I�m telling you this as a child who went through this!

I would also contact OM after the exposure is done and make sure he understands that you�re able and willing to make his life a living he77.

Also, look into whether or not your state has an alienation of affection law. You can sue him for this for consciously boinking your wife while she�s married.

Now, think about this for a sec: YOUR WIFE IS SCREWING ANOTHER MAN AND YOU�RE AFRAID OF HER?

Think! Quit letting fear control you and man up. Expose.

Stop making excuses and do it. It�s the number one killer of affairs on this forum.

Does it guarantee it will end? Not necessarily. The affair has been going on a long time, so exposure may not kill it, but it will certainly bring a lot of pressure on the affair from everyone.

And don�t assume anything about your MIL. She may not know what to say because she has no clue that her DD is having an affair! She might go ballistic and step in as mom with massive 2x4s of truth.

But nothing will happen if you simply sit idle and hope. That�s not going to do a thing for you.

Your kids will be grateful to know the truth. Trust me on this.

M
M
G6 .. I am sorry you are here. This is the best place for you to be at in a time like this. This message board knows EXACTLY what needs to be done. Listen to Melody and the other vets. I know some of it sounds counter intuitive but believe me .. your gut is telling you that its what you need to do. Dont stand by and let your wife and this OM destroy your family. Expose this far and wide in one swift swoop. Your marriage can survive your wifes temporary anger for doing so but it can NOT survive her back and forth between you and OM.

Expose it ... and DEMAND no contact then follow the MB program here to rebuild what you once had.

Here is what the bible says about exposing sin.

Ephesians 5:11
Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.

DO not delay ... the quicker you get this done the sooner you can rebuild your marriage with the tools here and create a safe place for your wife to land when her fog lifts after her withdrawl period.

G
OP Offline
G
Thanks MrNiceGuy.... I like your title.... I feel that's me, but I also am believing that nice guys finish last smile

Were you in this situation yourself? I am just trying to hear stories of others.

helpthelostdads, sorry man, not trying to frustrate you. I am not making excuses, well maybe I am but not on purpose. I just want to think this through. I want to have a plan before moving forward.

Thanks to all.... keep the posts coming, it IS helpful!

Married 24 years
M
M

Isn't it up to them how they feel? Illusions do not make people happy or secure, Giraffe. And it sure does not help your wife to protect her from the natural consequences of her destructive behavior.

Exposure 101

H
H
Paralysis through analysis isn�t a plan.

You�re not frustrating me. Give me 3 days of hemming and hawing and I�ll be frustrated.

I know this is hard and it sucks. But all I can do is tell you that there are countless stories of success here when exposure happens while there are NONE when it doesn�t.

I�ve seen exposure kill affairs within minutes. I�ve seen waywards who are so entrenched that exposure doesn�t do anything at first.

Some marriages are not savable because the affair is so deeply entrenched and the fantasy so strong that the wayward doesn�t leave it at first.

Most affairs end up failing and burning out.

But not exposing is enabling.

Look, jumping out of a plane requires faith that your chute will work. The first time you do it is probably very scary, but it gets easier and easier the more you do it.

Jump! Pull the cord. Trust us. Your chute will open.

But not exposing is basically a jump where you�ll never pull the cord and hope you land on a giant sponge on the ground below.

Will your marriage be saved if you expose? No way of knowing. Will it fail if you don�t expose? More than likely. Not exposing is like hoping the alcoholic quits on their own. It�s not going to happen.

Exposure is nothing more than affair intervention.

Page 2 of 26 1 2 3 4 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 507 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation