Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 26 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 25 26
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Pepperband
My marriage and the OW's marriage were saved.

Thanks Pepperband! Not sure if it's relevant, but how long was the affair? My wife's affair has been going on for around 2 years and I think she has fallen for him, or at least in her head she has. Again, she did come back and I think it was sincere but I realize now that I didn't enforce no contact and she probably was in WD and couldn't help but go back.

Me: 46
Wife: 44
Married 24 years
Kids: 4
PA began about 2 years ago.
D-Day: August 2011
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks helpthelostdads and Mel! I know I have been on here for a couple of days going back and forth with a bunch of questions. I am getting on board with exposure, but still pretty scared about the outcome. It's easy to run through so many different scenerios.... I've been doing that anyway, just about her coming back, not coming back, etc etc

Married 24 years
H
H
Originally Posted by Hopeforus
Originally Posted by Giraffe6
did either of you use this and if so, did it save your marriage?

Short story to show it's effectiveness.

I worked with Steve Harley during my W's A. At the time, based on my W's serial cheating, alcoholic, wife abusing OM's character, and the fact that he'd moved 200 miles away from us, Steve advised me to expose to OMW only and then to monitor the results. So I did. The A survived that exposure because OM and OMW lived 1000 miles apart and OM was just biding his time until divorcing her anyway. The reason for this limited exposure was to try and end the A with out any collateral damage.

So 7 months later, when I'd finally had enough and was ready to file for D, I decided to expose to my kids because I didn't want them thinking that BOTH their parents had abandoned them, which is what I felt I would have been doing if they didn't know the truth.

I told my oldest son on a Saturday (he was away at school) and returned home on Sunday to tell my younger son. My younger son went off my W. Made it very clear if she insisted on OM being in her life, then she could count on him not being in it. He even told her if she didn't at least try to make our marriage work, he was going to live with me and would NEVER visit her. And if he was forced to visit her (he was 16 at the time) he would sit there and not say a single word to her.

She was angry. Boy oh boy was she angry. But ya know what? The A was over the next day. Recovery started after she'd got thru withdrawl from the POSOM.

And now? Our marriage is better than ever. My W and our son's have great relationships. Counseling with Steve was great and without him, I'd have never got thru this, but one thing I do wish is I'd have exposed to my boys at the same time I did OMW. I understand his reasoning and it all worked out in the end, but it might have saved me 7 months of pain.

My W hated me at the time for telling the kids, but now she knows and agrees it's the single most important thing that saved our marriage.

So yeah, it works.

H4U

Just wanted to quote this in case you missed it the first time I posted it when you asked if exposure had worked for anyone.

And ya know what was worse than my W's A? My 16 yr old son telling me he already knew his mother was committing adultery before I told him, but that he didn't want to say anything to me because what if he was wrong? Can you imagine what he went thru? And your son asked you if his mother was having an affair and you didn't tell him? Think of what he's going thru!

And if you need any more encouragement, let me add this. The three previous years before my W's A...our 16 yr old got straight A's in school. The last quarter of his freshman year in H.S. is when the A started and he still did ok, but his grades had slipped. Soph year, lots of C's and D's. Grew his hair long and started running with what I would politely describe as not the kind of crowd a parent aspires their kids to run with. After I exposed to my kids and the A ended THE NEXT DAY (late in the school year), by the next school year, his grades returned to A's and B's.

A year later he was voted Sr Class President and just two weeks ago both my W and I attended his graduation from Basic Training in the USAF. You know who the first person he hugged was when we saw him for the first time? HIS MOTHER.

H4U.

Last edited by Hopeforus; 11/15/11 02:50 PM.

Me-BH 51 FWW-51
Three sons, S28 from first marriage, S23 and S19
A started Mar 07
D-day 9-4-07
NC 4-08
Recovered Nicely.
M
M
I had gone about my plan for 6 months. The OM and my wife did not know I was reading emails, snooping. Did not know I saw a lot of stuff. He was our pastor. I used every guilt trip there was. They thought I thought it was over. I met with him, sent him emails, strategically mentioning things that referenced some of their conversations, their real misgivings and guilt, because it was there. These were two people really struggling with what they were doing. I made him especially feel like dung. It stopped several times. But I didn't want to expose, out of fear of my wife's anger, fear of embarrassment for my children, fear of scorn on my wife (how dumbassed does that sound.) And I had no thought of NC (how could I disrupt my youngest daughter's church experience, again dumbassed.)

My marriage slowly, well not so slowly, went from in trouble to in shambles. I found MB and took it from there. I took about 2 days of 2x4 bombs. Dropped off and read. Snooped, gathered evidence and waited for it to inevitably start again, at least get something I could use, I am sure it never stopped, just went underground.

Then I exposed. I was in control. It felt like 1000 lbs lifted off me. I was not hiding sin, not enabling snakes.

It was the only thing I did right, the only thing I really feel good about, and I waited too long. I had weakly let my marriage implode and never lifted a finger to really try and stop someone from taking my wife until it was too late. By then, she was finished with me.

Much of your chances of success in saving your marriage depend on the state it is in before exposure. By you being in the position you are in, I doubt it was all that good before the affair, and will deteriorate exponentially as long as you let it go on.

Believe me, every day is important.

Or, let another man keep screwing your wife. Maybe you can give them a ride to where ever they go so she wont get mad.

F
F
Don't think of it as exposure.....think of it as spreading the good news that your WW has finally found her soulmate in POSOM.... & it only took 20 some years.....

You will get some back fire from those who are close to the situation.....but it's all talk, classic double think and self justifying of their A.

It's actually quite funny.

I promise you will feel better later down the road about it.

WW Are Fun
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
YOUR goal is to avoid conflict at all costs.

I wish I could disagree with you Mel, but I think you must know me! smile Seriously that is what her and I both struggle with.... communication in general and yes, avoiding conflict. She even said that was why she didn't even want to tell the kids she was moving the first time, she wanted to wait until she found a place or was out I guess. She said she doesn't like conflict, I think I told her (or at least thought it), that conflict is coming.... maybe I should take my own advice

Married 24 years
G
OP Offline
G
You know who the first person he hugged was when we saw him for the first time? HIS MOTHER.

Thank you!!!! That actually made me cry!! I had forgotten the story, sorry, but when I started reading it came back to me, and the addition today was very touching. I don't want my boys to hate their Mom!!!! It is what scares me.... I admit that I fear she is so far gone with the A that she'll just run to the OM.... but I fear the kids hating her more than anything else!! I truly don't think they will, I just don't think kids hate Moms, especially knowing our boys and my wife. But I do fear it. I don't even know she'll run to the OM if I expose.... she did come back to me, but probably fell due to WD and went back to the A.

Thanks again for the comment about your son and his Mother.... that still has tears in my eyes.

Married 24 years
H
H
Giraffe,

A wayward mother, and a lack of honesty from their betrayed father, is a recipe for disaster not only in their current lives, but in their adult lives as well.

Our models of marriage are our parents and grandparents (and possibly aunts and uncles).

Don't let your children grow up believing "sometimes it just doesn't work."

Because, frankly, that's a load of crap. Were they to hate their mother, yet have safe, loving, romantic marriages in their adult lives, they will be far better off!

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
M
M
It has already been mentioned that her relationship to them depends on her, not you.

Imagine this conversation.

"Dad, I can't believe Mom left you for xxxx. It must be quite a shock."

"Well, Son, I actually have known about their affair for over two tears and kept it from you like you were a little child too young to make up his own mind about his relationships."

"What, how could you have kept this from me. I have lost respect for you."

"But, but, but, ......."

M
M
The affair ended when I exposed (finally) to OMW. It was 2,5 years ago. We are in happy marriage now and it still gets better every day. My wife still thanks me for the exposure.

Ask from herself if you are doubting, she is posting in these forums.

Me (FWH) 44
Mrs_Recon6mo (FWW) 42
Married 22 years
2 Children 20 and 22 years
Last D-Day for me: May 2009
Last D-Day for her: October 2008
H
H
I get that. I too was afraid my boys would hate their mom.

When I told them, I was very careful to not bash her and I told them in my best Dad voice, that I would not accept them disrespecting her, that she was their mother and yes, she'd made a mistake, a BIG mistake, but she was just in a F'd up place.

The next day, after my W said she was willing to try, I told our son's "Everyone makes mistakes, the real measure of a person is what they learn and how they respond to those mistakes".

Don't get me wrong, it was a long tough road and her WD went on for a good 3-4 months, but things slowly got better between us as well as between her and our son's.

And now, going on 4 years later, things have never been better with all of us.

H4U.

Me-BH 51 FWW-51
Three sons, S28 from first marriage, S23 and S19
A started Mar 07
D-day 9-4-07
NC 4-08
Recovered Nicely.
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by mmmherb
"What, how could you have kept this from me. I have lost respect for you."

Thanks.... and trust me, that has gone through my mind. It's what had me thinking about telling them way back, before I even read these MB posts.

Married 24 years
M
M
You know who the first person he hugged was when we saw him for the first time? HIS MOTHER.

Thank you!!!! That actually made me cry!! I had forgotten the story, sorry, but when I started reading it came back to me, and the addition today was very touching. I don't want my boys to hate their Mom!!!! It is what scares me.... I admit that I fear she is so far gone with the A that she'll just run to the OM.... but I fear the kids hating her more than anything else!! I truly don't think they will, I just don't think kids hate Moms, especially knowing our boys and my wife. But I do fear it. I don't even know she'll run to the OM if I expose.... she did come back to me, but probably fell due to WD and went back to the A.

Thanks again for the comment about your son and his Mother.... that still has tears in my eyes.

Your boys will RESENT you terribly for withholding this information about their lives FROM THEM. Do you know who I resent the MOST about hiding my father's affairs from me? MY MOTHER.

My father was invested in hiding his crimes because he was guilty, but my mother had no such excuse. She was not wayward; he was.

Believe me, kids don't appreciate being treated like little morons who are too stupid to know the truth about their own lives. I deeply resent the confusion my mother caused me by not telling me the truth. I concluded the source of the problem WAS ME. And that is the problem with lying to your kids. It just causes confusion.

As long as you lie to them, your wife is free to lie to them.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
Thanks helpthelostdads and Mel! I know I have been on here for a couple of days going back and forth with a bunch of questions. I am getting on board with exposure, but still pretty scared about the outcome. It's easy to run through so many different scenerios.... I've been doing that anyway, just about her coming back, not coming back, etc etc
My disbelief at your attitude is not at your asking questions about a course of action that you might not fully understand, or that you need to work out the timeline for. I do not believe that you are weak for asking questions or cowardly for not having exposure sewn up already, having only come here yesterday.

I am frustrated at you because I don't believe your "questions" are really questions designed to help you understand and prepare fully. Your "questions" are really objections to what you are being advised, and your objection comes from weakness and cowardice. Your "questions" are a smokescreen or a pointless game, although why you come here to play games, or repeatedly to tell us why you can't use the MB plans, is beyond me. Does posting these endless "questions" here make you feel that you are actually doing something to save your marriage?

I don't believe you are here to get help because when you get a clear answer to each "question" posed, you do not accept it. You simply bypass that answer and find some other smokescreen to tremble behind.

For example, you asked whether exposure stopped affairs and saved marriages. Several people told you that yes, it stopped the affair in their marriage and gave them a shot at recovery. Your objection to that is that "not many" people said this. Good grief.

When another person (Pepperband) adds her very positive experience of exposure and recovery, you ask whether the affair was as long as your wife's - as if looking for a time loophole that would mean that exposure wouldn't work in your case. you need something - anything - to prove that your circumstances are different.

You know that my H had a long-term affair, because I posted the timeline to you - a 3.5 year PA followed by 6 months of EA by means of phone calls. You simply bypass my experience.

At least two people have told you that they did NOT expose and they regret not doing so. You simply bypass their posts and continue posting objections. I think you are looking around for someone - anyone - to tell you that they regret exposing because it made things worse. When you find that person - and no doubt SOMEONE will be able to come here and say that, if you let this thread go on long enough - you will claim to have all the evidence you need that exposure is a bad idea. Viola.

I don't lose respect for someone who takes a couple of days to work out how to follow the MB plans. However, I don't respect anyone who, having heard the expertise of Dr Harley, who has seen exposure work many hundreds of times, and having heard from several people who have learned the wisdom of his plans (sometimes ESPECIALLY because they did not expose), would not take charge of his marriage to give his kids a chance of a future, if not himself.

And as for someone who would hide behind fear of his kids' reactions should exposure prove successful...

TOS. I must remember TOS.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Mr_Recon6mo
The affair ended when I exposed (finally) to OMW.

Thanks, that's awesome.... congratulations! I hope to have one of these success stories to share on MB, soon!

So, you only exposed to OMW? just curious.... I know it seems to be the advice here to do a big exposure. I can see where that is more effective. I don't want to just tell the OMW because it's his ex, and I don't think they were still married when the affair started. She'll probably still not be happy, she has been friends with my W since middle school. But I also want to tell my W's Mom and Dad.... and our kids. I was just curious if you only told the OMW.

Again.... congrats to you and Mrs_Recon6mo

Married 24 years
G
OP Offline
G
As long as you lie to them, your wife is free to lie to them.

Thank you! That is one to really think on!

Married 24 years
M
M
2. It sounds like exposure is great at ending the affair, which trust me, I think that's a great thing. But I have only really heard one story of it leading to saving the marriage.

You could invest some effort in reading some of the stories around here, you know? A little work on your own to see how it's worked out for other people?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
[
So, you only exposed to OMW? just curious.... I know it seems to be the advice here to do a big exposure. I can see where that is more effective.

The most effective exposures are the wide spread ones that are done on the same day. Rarely is a minimal exposure effective because it is not enough to kill the affair and just enough to tick off the affairees. When it comes to exposure it has been my observation that it is better to do more than less. You can recover from doing more, but doing less typically neutralizes the exposure.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
But I think your goal is completely different from ours. See, our goal is to save your marriage like we have ours. YOUR goal is to avoid conflict at all costs.

Word.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by markos
You could invest some effort in reading some of the stories around here, you know? A little work on your own to see how it's worked out for other people?

What? Are you just having a bad day and decided to take it out on a guy that has only been on this site for 24 hours or what? Sorry a simple question set you off so easy.... I didn't mean to imply I wasn't willing to do any research. A lot of folks had replied to my post and I was just asking a question. Sorry it upset you.

Married 24 years
Page 6 of 26 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 507 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation