Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 26 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 25 26
H
H
G-man....

Both of my son's thanked me for telling them the truth. My youngest KNEW his mom was having an A, but didn't think he could tell me because what if he was wrong?

A good many pages ago, I seem to remember one of your kids asking if their mom was having an A (if I've mixed up your story with someone else, ignore this part). How do you think your kids will feel when they find out that, in addition to their mother doing what she's doing, their dad wasn't honest with them either?

No one is beating you up, we WANT to see your marriage healed. And this is probably one of the biggest things that might possibly save your marriage. If it doesn't, then what have you lost? Your wife is gone now anyway, so why not try?

Me-BH 51 FWW-51
Three sons, S28 from first marriage, S23 and S19
A started Mar 07
D-day 9-4-07
NC 4-08
Recovered Nicely.
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by zibbles
You're desperate to believe she's still in there somewhere and that she loves you and your sons enough to stop on her own.

SHE CAN'T. She needs your help now, like never before.

Perhaps you also wanted to have one last amazing holiday just in case this thing blows up and you end up divorced. We know your struggle but the answer is action.

Do it now to help relieve the self loathing that's building up in you. Do it for your WW, your kids and YOU. It's hard but not as hard as it seems when you THINK about it.

you are right! I have thought/hoped she would come around. But I know better.... she DID leave me, and then she DID come back, but couldn't end the affair then, so I have to realize she can't do this on her own! And maybe I did put it off because of the holiday but I don't know.... I liked that everyone was telling me that holidays are a great time to do this and I have to say I agree. But then again, I have wondered what made me NOT do it this past weekend.

Thank you!

G6

Me: 46
Wife: 44
Married 24 years
Kids: 4
PA began about 2 years ago.
D-Day: August 2011
R
R
It is sort of like, the tale "The Emperor Has No Clothes" by Hans Christian Andersen.
Every one, kids included, already know things are askew and wonky and something is wrong. Something.

Once you tell them what is happening, yes, they will be upset due to the cruelty of their mom's actions but they will also feel vindicated within that OH, THAT is what was happening that they felt.

H
H
I had an awesome therapist who use to tell me, "The why you do something isn't as important as the fact that you need to just stop doing it!"

In other words, why you didn't tell your sons isn't as important as the fact that you just need to tell them.

Why I'm fat isn't as important as just tackling the problem and fixing the behaviors that make me fat. I eat too much and don't exercise enough.

Why you avoid conflict doesn't matter. You have a crisis on your hands.

Your sons are completely clued in that not all is right and I'm willing to bet my left arm that they already suspect that she's having an affair. Kids tend to clue in long before the BS does.

M
M
There is not a lot we can do to help unless you get this done.

I am not saying this to be smart or ugly, but I am more concerned now that you will expose then cower, apologize and roll over when the reaction comes.

I don't really know how to advise you. I think your kids should know, just out of decency.

As for your marriage, good luck. You gotta change.

G
OP Offline
G
all so true.... The kids probably are very aware that something isn't right, I mean they know she left and came back but things still are not "right"

I am avoiding conflict and I have a crisis on my hands but I DO need to do this, and that was a great quote about why isn't as important as just doing it.

And I am concerned about how I will react to her reaction.... I can't cower down and apoligize, that would defeat what I finally got the courage to do.

Thanks to all of you!!!!!!

Giraffe6

Me: 46
Wife: 44
Married 24 years
Kids: 4
PA began about 2 years ago.
D-Day: August 2011
M
M
It's been said before, but you need to keep this in mind.

Exposure will put a lot of pressure on to end the affair. Her secret utopia will look pretty ugly in the light.

This is what you need to keep in mind. Her returning to the marriage depends a lot on what you do. She has to respect you first and foremost.

I say this out of concern and honesty. I think if I had acted as you have and especially if I kept up anything approaching this behavior, my ex-wife would have spit in my face.

I think you have a lot of work to do. But do it, for your own well being.

N
N
And I am concerned about how I will react to her reaction...

Well, this is something we CAN help you prepare for. Waywards collectively have a distressingly limited number of responses.

She will go bat-sh!+ crazy. She will probably scream, call you every name in the book, and hit you with the proto-typical "Well, now our marriage IS over!" crap. She might (and given the over-entitled...lady...your WW has been described to be), probably WILL become physically abusive.

Knowing all this G6, you cannot realistically tell us you would be worried about your reaction, because you can REHEARSE IT NOW! Here is your only line to anything she says, "I did what I thought was best to protect and inform out children." You only reaction to her physical confrontations will be to back away, and urge her to control herself. If she wants to leave, you let her.

Get yourself armed with a mini-audio recorder, and do the (good) deed, amigo.

U
U
Giraffe, My thought is just expose and if you are worried about how you will respond when she comes to you.... just make yourself unavailable for a while. When my wife and I were apart and I didn't feel talking would be helpful I would not answer phone or not be home. I waited until she settled down or I was in better mood.

E
E
Nike--- "Just do it"

50+ yo couple enjoying our empty nest.
Young adult kids out on their own.
"Enthusiastic agreement?" is our catch phrase.
R
R
I did this right before xmas. And we still had xmas.

You can do this. No one will care about the date.

FBH,Dad
No half measures, in anything.
M
M
G6, clearly you are an enabler. You are enabling your WW's affair, you are enabling your own life to be a living hell, you are enabling the fantasy you have about your life but what is long gone because this is a lie. You are enabling your future which is going to be miserable if you continue this way.

crazy

And I'm starting to think you like it. You like your life the way it is.

Me, FWW: 43
Mr_Recon6mo, FWH: 44
DD20 and DS23
3 cats
Married 23 years, together 24
Divorcing

H
H
G6, if you really need to, then call your oldest, tell him, and then ask him to spread the word to the other kids.

I don't think it is the best approach, but at this point I think anything is better than nothing.

Right now your wife is drowning and you're just watching and hoping she pulls herself out of it.

Not going to happen.

We can't be courageous for you.

M
M
Originally Posted by Giraffe6
[But then again, I have wondered what made me NOT do it this past weekend.

You know why you didn't do it. It is because you made a choice NOT TO DO IT. You have to make a choice to do it and then do it. It's very simple.

I get the sense that you are waiting until you FEEL like it, and that will never happen. No one ever "feels" like doing this. It is a tough thing. No magic feeling is going to attack you against your will. Courage is a choice, not something that some people have and others don't. Everyone is afraid. Some people choose to allow their fear to control them and some people choose to be in control of their fear.

You have to make a decision to do it and then do it. Honestly, I shouldn't have to explain this to a 45 year old grown man.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
H
If you do get to that point, your lb may be so drained that you don�t care about her reaction. If that�s the case, then it really is over because you won�t care at that point if it is saved or not. If you reach the point of emotional detachment, then the marriage is very likely to fail. The objective of MB is to save the marriage when it is still salvageable IF it is still salvageable.

You�re rapidly approaching the point of her being a walk away wife and not having any hope of saving your marriage.

M
M
But then again, I have wondered what made me NOT do it this past weekend.

Do you have an internal locus of control, or external?

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2555478#Post2555478

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
Originally Posted by markos
But then again, I have wondered what made me NOT do it this past weekend.

Do you have an internal locus of control, or external?

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2555478#Post2555478

Yes, I've read it. grin

However, I think that over time, people will either take their known attributes and make the most of what they have, or they will throw themselves on the floor, have a pity party tantrum and announce to the world their victimization status. Thus relieving themselves of any personal responsibility.

P
P
I am avoiding conflict
Giraffe6

You are choosing victimhood.
You are avoiding responsibility.

Last edited by Pepperband; 11/29/11 11:26 AM.
P
P
Originally Posted by Pepperband
You are choosing victimhood.
You are avoiding responsibility.

.... under the guise of "thinking things over".

M
M
Behold, I summoned Pepperband! smile

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Page 18 of 26 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 433 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation