Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy
Here (below) is a pic of my FIRST ever moose! Shot it at 300 yards while it was on the run! GREAT eating! had a freezer full for over a year and that was only 1/2 of it cuz i had to share it with my dad.
[Linked Image from i44.tinypic.com]

Oh wow!! I have to show that to my son. He will CRY!!!! sigh

It was almost 750lbs dressed out. We each got near 350lbs of meat after it was butchered. Took us ALL day (shot it at 7:30am and was packing it out til 9:30pm) to drag it back up to the logging road.

M
M
[

It was almost 750lbs dressed out. We each got near 350lbs of meat after it was butchered. Took us ALL day (shot it at 7:30am and was packing it out til 9:30pm) to drag it back up to the logging road.

That is AMAZING! He would be in heaven. He gets so excited about deer hunting. That is something he misses so much about the north.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
ok, here is momma's punkin in 2008:

[Linked Image from fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net]
Quick! I see signs of life! If we triage and apply compression I think we can save him!! You barbarians. Are there no grocery stores near you? rotflmao

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
OP Offline
M
10 days it took to land it into the back of the truck >.< The only unfortunate part was when i did this hunt ... i was not on board very well with MB and my wife was not enthusiastic about me going. BUT she sure liked the meat after.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
ok, here is momma's punkin in 2008:

[Linked Image from fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net]
Quick! I see signs of life! If we triage and apply compression I think we can save him!! You barbarians. Are there no grocery stores near you? rotflmao

HAHAHAHA!!!

A
A
You barbarians. Are there no grocery stores near you?
The grocery store up the road from the lake house sells more elk meat than cow. Better for you too, I am told.

"Never forget that your pain means nothing to a WS." ~Mulan

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

WS: They are who they are.

When an eel lunges out
And it bites off your snout
Thats a moray ~DS
M
M

This is true, MB!! My son killed that nice deer!! Nooo

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
MNG, I showed him your moose and he said: "damn that is massive, i'd like to do that some day.."

He is most impressed!

Exposure 101

A
A
That would be the range where Mule deer are considered Black Tail ... almost as elusive as the white tails.
We still call them mule deer where I grew up.

Ever bagged a nice big Black Tail?
Last spring. With the right front bumper of my pickup. Gave it to the food bank in town.

Lots of blue tongue showing up past two years though. One needs to be careful.

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

When an eel lunges out
Thats a moray ~DS
A
A
Beautiful scenery, music and hunting! All we need is some Jim Beam and a campfire.

Short hunting story: One of my brothers and I were checking his trap line (I was just there for the hike) along the Yellowstone a few years ago when the dogs got very quiet and started circling us and pushing us together as if they were guarding us. We stopped with our backs to the river and waited for about 20 minutes. Turns out a 200 lb cougar was stalking us. Or maybe the dogs. Anyway, I have never seen anything move that fast. It was on one of the dogs as fast as I could blink. My brother and I both fired at the same time and one of us got it, but not fast enough to save the dog. Good dog too. Brother sold the cougar to a taxidermist who sold it to some guy from LA.

I don�t particularly want to run into another one.

Last edited by Aphelion; 12/06/11 08:06 PM.

When an eel lunges out
Thats a moray ~DS
M
M
Originally Posted by Aphelion
Beautiful scenery, music and hunting! All we need is some Jim Beam and a campfire.

crazy Drop me off at the Marriott!!

Exposure 101

M
M
MNG, I showed him your moose and he said: "damn that is massive, i'd like to do that some day.."

He is most impressed!
faint

D-Day 2-10-2009

M
M
The grocery store up the road from the lake house sells more elk meat than cow. Better for you too, I am told.
I can do snails. I can do oysters and mussels. I have even been known to nosh on alligator (once!)

No can do on deer. Nooo

D-Day 2-10-2009

H
H
I can't admit to being all that "rugged." Fishing is about as far as get. Just too cheap to get geared to hunt.

Campfires and tents are fine though. I ain't so citified that I Ned an RV. Just a big tent and my air mattress.

I'll post up pics of our tent when I get home.

This summer we hit Clear Lake off hwy 12, and Ohanapekosh at Rainier.

Kachess just below Snoqualamie is another nice spot.

Gotta live the Pacific Northwest!

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
A
A
Try Shi Shi beach on the cape. Fantastic place. Especially during a big storm.

When an eel lunges out
Thats a moray ~DS
K
K
I'm just curious, what does moose taste like?

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
S
S
Originally Posted by karmasrose

It all tastes like chicken doncha know? HEHEHEHE

My DS11 had sausage that was deer, moose and bear when he was 2. He LOVED it. He still likes to eat game with my MIL. I won't touch it. My MIL tried to trick me one year with deer chili, but I figured it out before I even had the spoon in my mouth. laugh

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
H
H
We had deer with my mom a few weeks ago. She cooked it up so well, that DD11 - who would rather be mauled by badgers than try anything new - ate it, and asked for seconds!

Then, when I was doing clinical rotations, one of the nurses at a local nursing home had vegetable deer soup that was splendid.

Could never work there, the nurses are all feeders, and great cooks to boot.

Don't need another pant size.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by karmasrose

Moose is the closest game animal to beef, but if you compared the two flavours .. you would enjoy the Moose flavour better as its a bit sweeter in a way. Much less fat content .. and no sterioids! The meat itself (especially a roast if done in a slow cooker) is absolutley DELICIOUS! WHen you do a spagetti with the ground meat .. you can not even tell what it is. The ground meat loks pretty much exactly the same as cow too. The best part is the tenderloin though! OMG .. slow cook a roast moose tenderloin and it will fall apart with a chop stick!

Ok .. now I am hungry ... i ran out of moose meat in 2009.

Deer is great too ... of course the deer has to be properly taken care of or it will have a very gamey taste. This happens because the scent glands get spilled on the meat during the gutting process after it has been shot in the field or the meat is just not taken care of properly before it gets to the butcher. IE too warm out to the meat rots a bit too fast.

Either way .. when game meat is taken care of properly the result is great tasting meat that is not very "gamey". I have met many people that refused to eat game meat due to bad experiences .. but when they come over to my place and my wife cooks they eat it without asking what it is.

WE never tell either.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Aphelion

Short hunting story: One of my brothers and I were checking his trap line (I was just there for the hike) along the Yellowstone a few years ago when the dogs got very quiet and started circling us and pushing us together as if they were guarding us. We stopped with our backs to the river and waited for about 20 minutes. Turns out a 200 lb cougar was stalking us. Or maybe the dogs. Anyway, I have never seen anything move that fast. It was on one of the dogs as fast as I could blink. My brother and I both fired at the same time and one of us got it, but not fast enough to save the dog. Good dog too. Brother sold the cougar to a taxidermist who sold it to some guy from LA.

I don�t particularly want to run into another one.

Here is the campfire! Break out the marshmellows!
[Linked Image from i51.tinypic.com]

I have yet to have a close encounter like that .. I hope i never do .. but being a hunter, one day it may be inevitable. I do not hunt with a dog .. so hopefully I will be quick enough to draw my gun and shoot if such an occasion ever were to occur. Thats scary man ... worst scenerio i ever heard of was my dad ran into 2 grizzlies while hunting on his quad. they were about 8ft from the quad on a skinny trail. They both stood up on their hinds facing him .. my dad reached for his gun and threw the bolt and one bullet fell out. With only 2 shots left in his gun he PRAYED they would stand down and go away .. fortunately they did and turned to teh side and walked into the bush... My old man was saying he didnt even need to aim .. he was holding the gun at his hip and standing on his quad pegs while he was still looking up at them.

SCARY!

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 565 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation