Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 35 of 35 1 2 33 34 35
Schlag #2576596 12/19/11 06:56 PM
I
I
Hi Schlag

Just wanted to say I am seeing real progress on here with the radical honesty. Of course you still have a mountain to climb, but you look equipped for the climb now. I can see a difference anyway.

As a BS whose top need is radical honesty, this really stood out for me:

Originally Posted by Schlag
I didn't trust her enough to lean on her when I needed her the most.[/color]

This is JUST how it feels to be lied to. Like you cant be trusted. Like you wont listen intelligently or react appropriately. Like you are some monster of a wife who must be lied to in order to be kept controlled.

I like this sentence because it makes you look pretty bad and it rings so TRUE. Thats RH.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

Schlag #2576601 12/19/11 07:59 PM
N
N
hurray

Okay, my friend, you might now have insight into two things that are going to be vital to your future:

1 - Taking the easy way out ("I don't know"; "I can't remember") is NOT going to cut it.

2 - Doing it the right ("hard") way is going to be harder than anything you've ever done in your life.

You now have the answers to the question you were asked yesterday. Strap up, swallow hard, and give them to Amy.

S
Schlag Offline OP
OP Offline
S
She reads my thread so she already has them.

It's difficult for her to understand, because she's just so incapable of acting like I acted or even imagining how someone can do that. To act on that without being disabled with guilt.

Because of some things in her past, sex is VERY special to her - more than most. She passed up sex with a few others when we were not yet committed to each other, even when she would have been okay to do it. She stopped herself because she couldn't do that to me. We weren't even exclusive, let alone engaged or married. That is what makes my offenses so aggregious and what makes it so difficult a betrayal for her to get past. Maybe impossible. And it's what makes it so hard for her to understand how others can treat sex so cheaply.

Schlag #2576810 12/20/11 03:46 PM
N
N
She reads my thread so she already has them.

Okay, I think both of you have been advised NOT to read each other's threads, but I'll take your word for it that you two "know" better than we do. sigh

Regardless, tell her in person. Part of the reason is for her to be able to react to you directly. Part of the reason is for you to see her reaction.

And stay off each other's threads! (Amy, I'm serious!)

Schlag #2576816 12/20/11 04:03 PM
L
L
It's difficult for her to understand, because she's just so incapable of acting like I acted or even imagining how someone can do that. To act on that without being disabled with guilt.

I don't have much advice to offer, I was just very touched by your words above, that is exactly the way I feel about my FWH.

I still, after 2 years, wonder if I will wake up one day and just be so disgusted with it all that I throw in the towel. (those thoughts are fewer and farther between with time)

My H's only saving grace is the radical changes he has made. EP's, RA, etc.. He has become the man God intended for him to be. Not only for me, but for God(first), our kids and everyone else in his life.

Because of some things in her past, sex is VERY special to her - more than most. She passed up sex with a few others when we were not yet committed to each other, even when she would have been okay to do it. She stopped herself because she couldn't do that to me. We weren't even exclusive, let alone engaged or married. That is what makes my offenses so aggregious and what makes it so difficult a betrayal for her to get past. Maybe impossible. And it's what makes it so hard for her to understand how others can treat sex so cheaply

I too had a similar experience. My FWH and I had only dated a couple of times when I went out w another guy, I merely kissed him and felt so guilty...like I was cheating. We [FWH and I] werent exclusive either.

I don't know what makes people react differently in that situation....up-bringing, environment, religious background...probably a combination of them all.

I can easily see how many a BS cannot deal with the pain of it all.

Keep up the good work. You are learning a lot here and getting your side of the street cleaned up.

BS(me)
FWH
M '91
DS x 3

Don’t let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ.

Col. 2:8 (NLT)
Schlag #2576955 12/21/11 03:10 AM
M
M
Schlag, it is good to see your progress in thinking.

It's difficult for her to understand, because she's just so incapable of acting like I acted or even imagining how someone can do that.

I wouldn't be so sure about that thing quoted. Dr Harley has said that we are all wired to have an affair under the right circumstances. And you have witnessed some serious movement from Amy's part towards a possible affair lately.

Keeping boundaries mean everything in marriage. Affairs are very easy to happen if you give in one thing after another. They may be tiny things, like not letting another one know about your whereabouts because your spouse has an important meeting and you don't want to bother him. Or not calling often enough because you forget, etc. "Circumstances", uh? No - lies.

People are prone to lie to themselves. I've read that approx 80% of their waking hours people are deceiving themselves. The day you crack this self-deception nut, is a good day for you.

Anyway, keep up the work.

Me, FWW: 43
Mr_Recon6mo, FWH: 44
DD20 and DS23
3 cats
Married 23 years, together 24
Divorcing

C
C
Originally Posted by Mrs_Recon6mo
Keeping boundaries mean everything in marriage. Affairs are very easy to happen if you give in one thing after another. They may be tiny things, like not letting another one know about your whereabouts because your spouse has an important meeting and you don't want to bother him. Or not calling often enough because you forget, etc. "Circumstances", uh? No - lies.
Wow Mrs R, thank you. As a BW, I think an important penny has dropped about my WH's descent into waywardness. I noticed an increase in lies about silly things leading up to the affair. Now I see this was the start of boundaries slipping.

Sorry for the TJ Schlag.

Me (BW): 35
Married 1999 with no kids, DDay July 2011, OC born September 2012, Divorce final November 2012.

WXH (Gollum) is corrupted by his A, and now forever bound to it.

Plan B has set me free.

"Mourn the man he was. Know the man he is."
S
Schlag Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Caracal
Wow Mrs R, thank you. As a BW, I think an important penny has dropped about my WH's descent into waywardness. I noticed an increase in lies about silly things leading up to the affair. Now I see this was the start of boundaries slipping.

Sorry for the TJ Schlag.

lol no prob, Caracal. Glad to hear anybody getting help with their stuff. I have gotten plenty off other threads.

It's a shame everybody came down so hard on Amy in her thread - she ended up telling the player where she stood as far as not sleeping with anyone till she was divorced, and he vanished. She was thinking about posting last night about the terrible pain she's in but she didn't want to because everybody was so hard on her about the dating thing.

Anyway, back to my own issues... I am trying to figure out how to be there for Amy without causing more damage/pain. She says she wants me to get moved into the garage ASAP so she doesn't have to see me, but then last night she wanted me to be there for her and I wasn't because I disappeared to the garage. I'm having such a hard time learning what she wants from me. All I want to do is give her what she wants to heal from this and show her that I can learn how to be a good husband to her but I keep failing. I guess I should just go up to her every night when the kids go to bed and say "The kids are all in bed and I would love to spend time with you if you'd have me. Or if you need to talk. If you want to be alone, I'll go to my apartment." Is it just that simple?

The problem with us spending time together is then she just can't help but start talking about the painful things and try a 23rd time to get an answer to how I could do this to her except that I was a selfish, cheating a-hole. The problem is that that's the real answer. Telling her that's not who I want to be anymore doesn't mean anything.

Maybe she could take to heart Caracal's sig: "Mourn the man he was. Know the man he is."

Last edited by Schlag; 12/21/11 05:01 PM.
Schlag #2577135 12/21/11 05:35 PM
S
S
It's a shame everybody came down so hard on Amy in her thread - she ended up telling the player where she stood as far as not sleeping with anyone till she was divorced, and he vanished.
That's a shame? Why do you think it's a shame? Would it have been a good thing if this player had hung around?

She was thinking about posting last night about the terrible pain she's in but she didn't want to because everybody was so hard on her about the dating thing.
Do you honestly think that people here should have approved her steps towards dating, Schlag? Why so?

If not, what should posters have done? Said nothing?

Please tell me what you think that posters did wrong, and then tell me why you keep not-so-subtly trying to tell people off for putting Amy straight, and trying to blame them for Amy's anger at you.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Schlag: the way we can help you is by motivating you to follow the plan. It's counterproductive for you to try to persuade us of anything, such as trying to persuade us we should've said something different to Amy.

Haven't heard you on MB radio again yet, unless you were on some day that I missed.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2577155 12/21/11 06:40 PM
S
Schlag Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by markos
Schlag: the way we can help you is by motivating you to follow the plan. It's counterproductive for you to try to persuade us of anything, such as trying to persuade us we should've said something different to Amy.

Haven't heard you on MB radio again yet, unless you were on some day that I missed.

Well, I think it would be better for Amy to get some help with her pain than ignore her thread altogether. You can say that you disagree with what she's doing and why, but people calling her a wayward and saying it's the fastest inset of wayward fog ever is kind of over the top.

I wrote to Joyce on 8 December and received no response.

Schlag #2577181 12/21/11 08:09 PM
I
I
Well, I think it would be better for Amy to get some help with her pain than ignore her thread altogether. You can say that you disagree with what she's doing and why, but people calling her a wayward and saying it's the fastest inset of wayward fog ever is kind of over the top.

Schlag, appeasement does not work. You know yourself how strong the urge is, when you're low, and someone outside your marriage is paying you attention. Saying little or nothing, aka enabling, is not what we do here (or rather, the vets - I'm still learning).

Our first concern is Amy and I remain very concerned about her vulnerability to players like the guy you mention. For that reason I will not minimize or lie to her about the potholes she is waltzing towards. I am a BS myself, I know how tempted she is, how impaired her judgement of men is and how hurt she feels.

Amy is hurt because of you. I cannot really empathise with you what that feels like but I imagine it is a wretched feeling. I know how much you want to fix this instantly but it doesn't work like that. Amy needs time to figure out what she wants to do. If she wants to come back on the boards, she will come back. If she does we will carry on telling her whatever we believe she needs to hear in a straightforward way. We dont need to lull her in gently, she's a grown woman. If in the meantime we can scare away players, all to the good smile

Shlag you need to let go of the need to manage Amy, or to manage her through us. In the past you did this with lies, and now you want us to keep a lid on the truth. Thanks to MB she is getting honesty from you, and honesty from us. What she does with the info is up to her.

The business of this thread is what YOU are going to do. And it will benefit you no matter what happens in your marriage, because it will make you a better person

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

S
S
Why did you move into the garage? You see, she IS acting wayward. A TYPICAL wayward. She is in pain, as many waywards feel. She is trying to cake-eat, as many waywards do. She is trying to justify her actions by blame shifting, just like a typical wayward.

I think you need to Plan A her like a rockstar, just as we would tell any BS. Only difference is that you also need to amend for YOUR A's and deceit. It will be harder, but it can be done, if you follow THE PLANS. What plan are you in? Let Amy ruin your marriage because she is trying to get back at you for your deceit? No one has even remotely suggested that she need to stay married to you, to be quite honest. WE merely told her that becoming a wayward would not make her life better, but would in fact make it worse.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
Schlag #2577305 12/22/11 10:15 AM
N
N
Dude, you do NOT belong in the garage. Move to a spare room, den, whatever, but not the garage. (Seriously, if you had a dog, would you wend your way to the archetypical dog-house"?) And if she insists you wear a hair-shirt, or beat yourself with a flail, refuse those as well.

You cheated on her; we all got that. Now you have to work to put things right. Eventually, this will involve doing the work to convince her that her best future revolves around keeping your union together, as husband and wife. That husband will have to have some stature of respect to be a full partner going forward, and having a history of extensive grovelling is unhelpful in that regard, especially given the rather disappointing initiatives she has been considering to effect your replacement.

That said, what have you done since the "hooker admission" of two days ago to discover what she needs, and how you can provide it? (NO, moving next to the weed-wacker is not what is meant!)

S
Schlag Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The garage is pretty much our only spare room. We don't have any spare rooms. It is the best alternative to me moving out.

What I've done since two days ago is stay home yesterday and let her rest, then made christmas cookies with her and the kids, and spent two full nights monday and wednesday night with her wrapping all the presents for the kids from us and santa and the grandparents. I've tried to balance the right amount of availability with space. I've tried to give her truth in the most sensitive way possible when she wants to talk about her pain or ask questions. I've tried to communicate my feelings about what I've done to her in better ways than maybe I have in the past. I've done lots of laundry and dishes. :P I have told her all my hopes and fears. I failed to do that before and I am showing her that I want to do that now. (Even though in her pain and anger she wants to make my fears come true to make me feel the pain also)

I've also told her as much as I can how much I want to be a good man for her, how much I love her, and how much I appreciate her. I am really trying to communicate and highlight to her the ways that I'm changing, especially the things she can't see like my thoughts and feelings.

Schlag #2577428 12/22/11 03:06 PM
C
C
The garage is pretty much our only spare room. We don't have any spare rooms. It is the best alternative to me moving out.

What I've done since two days ago is stay home yesterday and let her rest, then made christmas cookies with her and the kids, and spent two full nights monday and wednesday night with her wrapping all the presents for the kids from us and santa and the grandparents. I've tried to balance the right amount of availability with space. I've tried to give her truth in the most sensitive way possible when she wants to talk about her pain or ask questions. I've tried to communicate my feelings about what I've done to her in better ways than maybe I have in the past. I've done lots of laundry and dishes. :P I have told her all my hopes and fears. I failed to do that before and I am showing her that I want to do that now. (Even though in her pain and anger she wants to make my fears come true to make me feel the pain also)

I've also told her as much as I can how much I want to be a good man for her, how much I love her, and how much I appreciate her. I am really trying to communicate and highlight to her the ways that I'm changing, especially the things she can't see like my thoughts and feelings.

I'm going to reiterate what I said many many posts back. Your sin is not an excuse for Amy to do whatever she wants. This (IMO) is a type of cake eating. She gets you for all the "family" stuff... Baking cookies, wrapping presents, holding her when she wants you too, and then sends you off to the garage when she's done with you.

The way I see it, is that she is using you right now. Is she still trolling for a boyfriend on the dating sites? What is she doing after you go to the garage?

Honestly, I believe the reason she is hurting so much is because she is not trying to heal, but to hurt you for what you did.

I am in agreement with what others have posted.

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
S
Schlag Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by celticvoyager
I'm going to reiterate what I said many many posts back. Your sin is not an excuse for Amy to do whatever she wants. This (IMO) is a type of cake eating. She gets you for all the "family" stuff... Baking cookies, wrapping presents, holding her when she wants you too, and then sends you off to the garage when she's done with you.

The way I see it, is that she is using you right now. Is she still trolling for a boyfriend on the dating sites? What is she doing after you go to the garage?

Honestly, I believe the reason she is hurting so much is because she is not trying to heal, but to hurt you for what you did.

I am in agreement with what others have posted.

CV

I see your point, but I believe as time goes on that she is healing more and wanting to hurt me less. Every day brings a different level of pain versus healing, but I believe that she wants to heal and she wants me to be a changed man she just can't allow herself to believe it yet, and rightfully so. I am just starting to learn how to be what I need to be for her. The desire is there now, but changing how I am there for her emotionally and how I communicate and my own coping mechanisms is going to take time, patience, perseverance, and hard work. But I have total faith that God can work a miracle of healing with us if I do my part.

Schlag #2597483 02/16/12 12:57 AM
M
M
Schlag, how is it going with you and Amy?

Me, FWW: 43
Mr_Recon6mo, FWH: 44
DD20 and DS23
3 cats
Married 23 years, together 24
Divorcing

Page 35 of 35 1 2 33 34 35

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (doseedo, 1 invisible), 533 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation